Ladies, how do you feel about being a stay at home mom/wife?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Personal choice I was a stay at home mom for years. It was a choice I made and for me it was the right one for me and my family. If you can do it and that's what you want then go for it.

Are you me??? Lol!!! This is exactly what I was gonna say!
  • smileygurl92687
    Options
    I work part time, but i consider myself a stay at home mom. I like having a simple job that i can go to a few times a week for about 5 hours and talk to adults. I am taking care of things, but in a completely different way. We live modestly since i don't work full time, but its how we want to live. I am with my kids most of the time and i love it. But i also love stepping away to work or the gym for myself.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but it is absolutely not for me - I spent way too long getting an education and building a successful career to give it up. And I want to be a productive member of society, I would not be ok with my husband supporting me and not contributing myself.

raising a child is being a productive member of society.

I find it weird that society would view being a stay at home parent as not contributing. Raising the next generation is a vitally important job. Also it's weird if someone who gets paid to look after other people's kids, e.g. nanny, nursery nurse, gets a high social status because he or she is working (as in getting a salary) while someone who does the exact same thing but with their own kids and not getting paid for it, is considered to be "not contributing" and looked down upon by others.

I'm cool either way, re stay at home parent, working parent(s)... whatever works for the family (and no reason why it has to be the mum that stays at home if the dad wants to and she wants to work) - I also think a lot more people would be stay at home parents if they could afford it.

this all feels like a crazy joke. Raising children is not a job, it is part of the family cycle. Yes, it is hard work but I think SAHM seriously give themselves WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT, when there are moms who work...and still do the laundry, make the meals, grocery shop, change the diapers, play with toys, clean up, blahblahblah. Now those moms I give much credit to.

So, have you ever been a SAHM?

no, because i plan on being a mom who also puts the bacon on the damn table! there are so many cons of being a SAHM and I honestly can't believe how many people are in support of it, what a lack of ambition, way to **** on all your dreams and set a lazy example for your kids

not to mention it is so hard to re-enter the work force, so good luck with that.
    As you continue to talk, you continue to show your ignorance. "Raising children is not a job"??? LOL Worth of a woman is in how much money she can make??LOL Unbelievable. How sad.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    To each their own, but it is absolutely not for me - I spent way too long getting an education and building a successful career to give it up. And I want to be a productive member of society, I would not be ok with my husband supporting me and not contributing myself.

I find it weird that society would view being a stay at home parent as not contributing. Raising the next generation is a vitally important job. Also it's weird if someone who gets paid to look after other people's kids, e.g. nanny, nursery nurse, gets a high social status because he or she is working (as in getting a salary) while someone who does the exact same thing but with their own kids and not getting paid for it, is considered to be "not contributing" and looked down upon by others.

I'm cool either way, re stay at home parent, working parent(s)... whatever works for the family (and no reason why it has to be the mum that stays at home if the dad wants to and she wants to work) - I also think a lot more people would be stay at home parents if they could afford it.

this all feels like a crazy joke. Raising children is not a job, it is part of the family cycle. Yes, it is hard work but I think SAHM seriously give themselves WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT, when there are moms who work...and still do the laundry, make the meals, grocery shop, change the diapers, play with toys, clean up, blahblahblah. Now those moms I give much credit to.

no, because i plan on being a mom who also puts the bacon on the damn table! there are so many cons of being a SAHM and I honestly can't believe how many people are in support of it, what a lack of ambition, way to **** on all your dreams and set a lazy example for your kids

not to mention it is so hard to re-enter the work force, so good luck with that.

Are you speaking from personal experience or just choosing to be condescending?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I could not do it. I literally went back to work 2 weeks after my daughter was born. I was lucky that she could come with me and that my husband works from home 65% of the time.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    We all have to do what works for us. I did it for over a year. It wasn't for me. I derive a lot of my identity from my working life, and my husband always thought I was bored so he would have me doing stupid tasks and time wasting errands for him. Plus, I personally hated not having one cent of my own. But that is only MY experience. There are lots of women and some men who stay home with their children and find it the most wonderful and rewarding experience ever.

I don't look down on those that stay at home or those who work. Life is hard enough as it is.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I stay at home and I love it. My husband and I were married 11 years before we had kids. We both worked full time to pay for his college (I already had a bachelors degree) with the eventual and mutual goal that when we were ready to have kids, I would stay home. After he was done with school, we still waited another 8 years to have kids because we knew we'd be going to one income.

My oldest is almost 7 and I have a preschooler. I think it's great being able to work in their classes at school and go to field trips and special events. I wouldn't choose to go back to work while they are still at home. For our family, the extra money wouldn't offset the satisfaction that I get from being more involved.

I doubt that I would have left my job if I wasn't getting ready to have a baby though. I think that is a completely different mindset and I don't think my husband requires that much of my undivided attention :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It is so weird that somebody wants to be a stay at home WIFE. Like trophy wife? Hell, no!

I understated wanting to be a stay at home MOTHER. SAHM has vital role in society and I totally support that idea if that what you and and your SO want that. I stayed home for almost a year with both kids and it was wonderful. I wish I could have stayed for one more year. However, I would personally would not stay home for extended period of time though. It is just not mentally challenging for me.
    I understand to stay home until you have small kids, but I just do not see the point after the kids are in school. Maybe it is different in different places, but here school starts 8:30 am and finishes 3:30 pm, and it is like 3:45 by the time kids get out. I think a 6 hr workday type of job is ideal for that situation, and you will not miss a second of your children life. What most people do around here is have one of the parent work early shift like 7 am to 3 pm, while the other work later like 9 to 5. Whoever works from 9 takes the kid(s) to school and the other one picks up the kids from school. I think it is good, because both parents are involved and have a one on one time with the kids every single day.

For me the ideal situation would be SAHM until our have a child under 2 yrs old. 4 hr work when i have kids between kid age 2-5 , and 6 hr workday until the oldest is 12, and full 8 hr after that.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well there you go, OP:

Whatever you choose, you will have people judging your decision, and thinking they know better but haven't been in your situation.

Do what works for your circumstance - some people love it, some don't some would have done it differently. You just need to be able to tell the naysayers to go shove their judgements. :-D
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Well there you go, OP:

Whatever you choose, you will have people judging your decision, and thinking they know better but haven't been in your situation.

Do what works for your circumstance - some people love it, some don't some would have done it differently. You just need to be able to tell the naysayers to go shove their judgements. :-D

This.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Well there you go, OP:

That about sums it up! Now I have to go to bed. I've got to get up early in the morning for another day of doing nothing. ????
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

As you continue to talk, you continue to show your ignorance. "Raising children is not a job"??? LOL Worth of a woman is in how much money she can make??LOL Unbelievable. How sad.

no, a job is a job. Many women raise children and work. I admire them. And it isn't ignorance, I watched several stay at home moms while I grew up, my mom was a stay at home mom. I respect all moms. I don't respect the idea that SAHM need to be glorified for raising children when there are moms and dads out there that bust their *kitten* in other spheres of their lives, work, and come home to raise their kids.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I respect people who are stay-at-home parents, but it's not for me. I don't even want offspring.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

no, a job is a job. Many women raise children and work. I admire them. And it isn't ignorance, I watched several stay at home moms while I grew up, my mom was a stay at home mom. I respect all moms. I don't respect the idea that SAHM need to be glorified for raising children when there are moms and dads out there that bust their *kitten* in other spheres of their lives, work, and come home to raise their kids.

So, not first hand experience. Saying that SAHMs set "a lazy example" is not exactly respectful.
  • bearkisses
    Options

So, not first hand experience. Saying that SAHMs set "a lazy example" is not exactly respectful.

It did for me. It wasn't exactly motivational to see a bunch of woman wasting their lives away, some of them getting divorced later in life, not having a thin red cent or skill to their name besides 'cooking and cleaning'. I think it is sad how being a SAHM is a goal. If you are really well off and want to invest time into doing things other than working and raising children, then fine. But a goal of being a SAHM? Really?

and people don't need first hand experience of being a SAHM to know that all those women can achieve so many of their dreams, if they have any
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not for me... I enjoy working for myself and if I'm at home for more than 2 days at a time I get severely depressed...I'm not even joking
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    It did for me. It wasn't exactly motivational to see a bunch of woman wasting their lives away, some of them getting divorced later in life, not having a thin red cent or skill to their name besides 'cooking and cleaning'. I think it is sad how being a SAHM is a goal. If you are really well off and want to invest time into doing things other than working and raising children, then fine. But a goal of being a SAHM? Really?

and people don't need first hand experience of being a SAHM to know that all those women can achieve so many of their dreams, if they have any

I was a SAHM for years until I was widowed. Then, I worked & went to school to get my degree and then re-entered the workforce in a professional capacity.

I'm sorry for whatever bad experiences you had growing up, but I assure you, my son, who is less than a year younger than you, does not judge SAHMs nearly as harshly as you do.

You speak from limited experience. I don't.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well today I wanted to punch somebody in the face but normally I quite enjoy it! (I did not want to punch any of my children, just fyi)
  • bearkisses
    Options

I was a SAHM for years until I was widowed. Then, I worked & went to school to get my degree and then re-entered the workforce in a professional capacity.

I'm sorry for whatever bad experiences you had growing up, but I assure you, my son, who is less than a year younger than you, does not judge SAHMs nearly as harshly as you do.

You speak from limited experience. I don't.

I don't think I speak from a world of experience. Good for you. I think that it can work. I just don't understand why it would be a goal. I set goals and identify possible barriers. As a result, if I stay at home at all I am going to go back to work when my kids go back to school (if I can even find a job at that point, reentry is not easy these days). As a result I will probably just continue working. Children need to be around others to socialize and develop that way anyways, so daycare is a totally viable option. Just my 2 cents.
  • abickford82
    Options
    I was one in my first marriage. Now that I'm remarried, I do the stay at home wife thing, but I'm working on a home based fitness business (fitness coaching, along with nutrition and workout plans I'm developing myself) right now so though I don't work outside of the home my husband didn't want me getting another job (outside of the home) when I got laid off almost a year ago. We're both happier this way.