Very low calorie diets and metabolic damage

Options

Replies

• Fitn50Grandma
    Fitn50Grandma Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this very informative post!
  • amandahowze1
    amandahowze1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great information .
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Yeah, it's pretty much about the dieter.

I think though that through education, many, many more folks will get it right eventually. Knowledge is power after all. The internet (and sites like this one) helps with the information stream. Of course, it's a cesspit of good, bad and average information out there but still... it counts.

Not only the fact that success rate is increasing because of folks knowing more, but it is also the fact that obesity is so abhorred in society nowadays that obesity rates are now declining. In contrast, the rate of those diagnosed with eating disorders causing extreme thinness is on the increase. Wonder when we humans can ever find a balance in all that we do??

Obesity is down?
    What a load of crap.

Obesity and T2D are so bad in the United States that they are starting to see teenagers with erectile disfunction.

Thats mother nature saying something.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Sure, most people will screw up VLCDs, as I mention in the original post.

Most people will screw up everything and anything, including the paint-by-numbers MFP approach, as evidenced by the endless parade of posts on these forums.

The dirty little secret in all of this is that anyone with the discipline and self control to succeed using the MFP method will be able to succeed using virtually *any* method. If you look at the MFP champs here, dollars to donuts you could force them to go VLCD and they would find a way to make it work in a nutritionally sound manner.

It's never about the specifics of the diet - it is *always* about the dieter.

PS To be clear, I am NOT advocating VLCD in any way shape or form.

This guy spews truth.

Stamped with approval.
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I think though that through education, many, many more folks will get it right eventually. Knowledge is power after all. The internet (and sites like this one) helps with the information stream. Of course, it's a cesspit of good, bad and average information out there but still... it counts.

Not only the fact that success rate is increasing because of folks knowing more, but it is also the fact that obesity is so abhorred in society nowadays that obesity rates are now declining. In contrast, the rate of those diagnosed with eating disorders causing extreme thinness is on the increase. Wonder when we humans can ever find a balance in all that we do??

Obesity is down?
    What a load of crap.

Obesity and T2D are so bad in the United States that they are starting to see teenagers with erectile disfunction.

Can you not??!! I mean, why should I make that statement if it's a lot of crap. You're so offensive. Silly man.

Read this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/06/childhood-obesity-preschoolers/2623909/
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Bump!

Obesity is down?
    What a load of crap.

Can you not??!! I mean, why should I make that statement if it's a lot of crap. You're so offensive. Silly man.

Read this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/06/childhood-obesity-preschoolers/2623909/

Can I not what?

I live in Baltimore.
    It's rated one of the fattest cities.
    So if everyone is nice and lean in your corner of the world then thats great, but here......
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Saved for reading later
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great read. One thing Ive read is to have a day of eating over maintenance to raise leptin after being of VLCD for a bit, dont know how true it is though.
  • Dgangaware
    Dgangaware Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!
  • adelainie
    adelainie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Here's to continued learning!

Very good read but definitely something that I could never do or would suggest.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Great read. One thing Ive read is to have a day of eating over maintenance to raise leptin after being of VLCD for a bit, dont know how true it is though.

Somewhat true but depends really on the amount of fat on the body.
    A great way to test your leptin sensitivity is to carb backload at night.
    Start your day off with high quality proteins and fats with high fibre veg.
    Lunch should be the same.
    Fruit as a snack midday with some walnuts.
    Dinner can be anything but shoot for the carbs and protein with some fats.
    If you are sensitizing to leptin, you should see some scale movement in the AM.
    Try sticking to no more than a 20% decrese in overall calories per week with 1 week off every 3-4 weeks to combat adaptation.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Oh good this is still an active thread and I really appreciate the op!!! I have a few questions for the op...read the first page and jumped to the last page.

(Bentonite Clay, Chlorophyll, and Spirulina with a temporary VLCD) From what you know and have experienced with this type of "fasting" on a short term, maybe 40 days max, will using spirulina(3-4 TBS) a day help keep one from losing their hair? I just like that spirulina is all natural as a whole food supplement. If it's better to send a pm, I'm more than happy to converse via pm. Thank you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Oh good this is still an active thread and I really appreciate the op!!! I have a few questions for the op...read the first page and jumped to the last page.

(Bentonite Clay, Chlorophyll, and Spirulina with a temporary VLCD) From what you know and have experienced with this type of "fasting" on a short term, maybe 40 days max, will using spirulina(3-4 TBS) a day help keep one from losing their hair? I just like that spirulina is all natural as a whole food supplement. If it's better to send a pm, I'm more than happy to converse via pm. Thank you.

Terrible idea.

While all the above mentioned super foods have merit, your body will still rob amino acids to supply itself with energy.
    Muscle maintenance in fat loss programs is the most important factor and should be held as top priority.
    40 days VLCD you'd lose a considerable amount of muscle mass.

If you are they type who enjoys leisurely strolls on your scooter when you are 60+ because you didn't eat and workout correctly, go for it!
    http://www.thescooterstore.com
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Bump
  • kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I also forgot to mention sock eye salmon along with the spirulina supplement. I just read that the vitamin b12 in spirulina isn't absorbable therefore sock eye salmon is a must adding the essential omegas the body needs for burning fat and protecting the heart and nervous system.

I found that the bentonite clay is fabulous for pulling out the toxins and candida which is cause for carb cravings. It can interfere with medications so be careful with that. Imagine, the real hunger curb is getting rid of candida overgrowth!!! The spirulina taken throughout the day keeps the blood sugar level up.