The Difference 3lbs Can Make (w/ before & after pics)

Options
elzianne
elzianne Posts: 52 Member
[Disclaimer: this is my first time posting photos, so if I don't do it correctly, I apologize! Still a n00b over here]

I'm a bit nervous about sharing pictures of myself in a bikini with total strangers, but I feel like I have a message worth sharing. I still have a ways to go from my final goal, but I wanted to share my progress so far. Over the past 2.5 years, I've only seen the slightest shift on the scale... losing a total of 3lbs. It's been discouraging at times, but I have taken a few pictures here and there to remind myself that the scale doesn't give you the complete picture.

THE BACKSTORY:
I first starting getting serious about losing weight after my freshman year of college when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I wasn't obese, but at nearly 170lbs, I was not an a healthy weight for my height (I'm just shy of 5'6). I've always tried to eat healthy, but I would frequently find myself struggling with binging / emotional eating. At the time, I didn't exercise consistently and just generally didn't take great care of myself. I can't find a picture of when I was at my absolutely heaviest, but here's a picture after I first started losing weight and was about 165lbs:
40_504101654772_6977_n_zps333ac57b.jpg
By the end of college, I was down to about 145lbs. Sure, it took me almost 3 years to lose 25lbs, but with a slow and steady approach, I was losing weight while also gaining a healthy lifestyle that was sustainable. I was able to get off my PCOS meds and saw a huge improvement to my health both physically and mentally.
196924_1606495611704_5763013_n_zpsbe311cd9.jpg
However, I still wanted to lose a final 10lbs to get down to my goal of 135lbs!

LOSING 3LBS:
After college, I found losing weight was A LOT harder. All of the sudden, I was working full time, which meant sitting... sitting all day. Plus, since I was no longer overweight, the weight didn't come off as easily (I mean, not that it ever really came off *easily*). After a couple of years, I didn't really seem much of a change in, but I did see a decrease in my physical fitness. In September 2011, I decided to set my health as a priority, get back into the shape I was when I graduated college, and then finally kick off those final 10lbs!

Well, I didn't lose 10lbs. In September, I started training for a half-marathon, and by November I was able to complete 7-mile long-runs and dropped a couple pounds. However, I plateaued in November and didn't see any more weight loss, even after I ran my first half-marathon in February. I found that while cardio kept my physical endurance strong and prevented me from gaining weight, I wasn't seeing much more tone or weight loss. So, I kept up exercising regularly and eating healthy, but kind of gave up hope of losing more weight.
This past September, I started getting more into heavy lifting. After a couple months of lifting, I decided to start taking pictures more regularly, since the scale wasn't bunching but my jeans were getting looser!
432c93d8-e04f-4bfc-8bf6-37f8f78be400_zpsc9898edb.jpg
So, since September 2011, I've only lost 3lbs. It sounds pretty pathetic, and honestly, it gets me down sometimes. However, I feel like looking at this pictures proves I'm getting stronger and healthier!
563dd2af-1f5f-4e90-a4ad-3a0e11763ee3_zps2894c0a7.jpg
I apologize that these aren't the best before & after pictures - they're taken awkwardly in my mirror and in slightly different ways, no to mention that I have no shots from 2012! haha. I never planned to share them with anyone, but when I saw my latest results, I felt compared to share. The number on the scale is just one aspect of weight loss!!
8f3a81b4-f2a5-4452-9ef6-a8581ed93d9a_zpsdde4957e.jpg
I'm not at my final goal yet, but I feel like I'm making progress towards it, even if the scale isn't budging!

Replies

• DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is incredible!! Congratulations. I hope I have results like that!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Very nicely done ! You look great !
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    And thus the true wonder of heavy lifting unfolds! Body recomp is an amazing thing.
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You look AWESOME!!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    That is some cracking body recomp. Congrats op :drinker:
  • CB2CS
    CB2CS Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job!
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!!! Such an inspiration. Been lifting for a month now. Going to have to take some more pics. Way to go!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Excellent! :heart:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    And thus the true wonder of heavy lifting unfolds! Body recomp is an amazing thing.

QFT!!!

And awesome job OP!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

That is the truth. Great work. You look amazing!
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a huge difference! You look awesome :)
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Fantastic results! Hope some gals wondering if they should start lifting now or later wander in and make up their minds!
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    So amazing...your stomach and back in particular! You did goooood!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I am impressed. Well done!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    GREAT work! :drinker:
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! How "heavy" do you lift? Just for a point of reference for us lifting noobs :smile:
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    thanks for proving heavy lifting does make a big difference.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Nice work, OP.

:drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! How "heavy" do you lift? Just for a point of reference for us lifting noobs :smile:

(I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'll butt in and answer anyhow...

"Heavy" is relative for everyone. I'd consider "heavy" to be a movement that you can do for no more than, say, 8 reps before failure (although I suspect that others may disagree with this exact number).)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. The difference is amazing!! Well done OP :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!