What to do with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    Most of these use cottage cheese--it transforms any shake. My Favorite is the Frozen Hot Chocolate:

http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/
  • kellyculler5
    kellyculler5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Toast bread, mix cottage cheese with cinnamon and a fruit spread and slide under the broiler, great breakfast.

Kelly
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    It's also DELICIOUS mixed in omelettes and scrambles eggs. It sort of melts and gets gooey and makes the eggs oh-so creamy.

yoink! TY :flowerforyou:
  • Iorns78
    Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love to use cottage cheese as dressing on my salads (I don't like dressing). I also use it to top my baked potatoes. :)
  • Cheri0830
    Cheri0830 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Spinach Pie
    1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 small onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1/3 cup parm cheese
    1/'8 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp salt
    10 - 15 craanks fresh cracked pepper
    2 large eggs
    16 oz frozen cut spinach thawed and squeeze out excess water
    1 sheet puff pastry ( i used pie dough instead its cheaper)
    1 egg for glaze optional ( it does make it pretty)
    oven 375
    dice onion and garlic sautee in skillet with oil until transparent
    In bowl combine cottage cheese with the rest of ingredients
    Once onions are done add to cheese
    spread evenly inside pastry lined pie dish, if you use puff pastry flip excess dough on top if it don't close all the way that is ok,
    bake 45 min allow to rest 5 min this is a yummy recipe if you like spinach you wouldn't know it was cottage cheese I used fresh parmasan cheese and grated it myself.

If you use puff pastry and frozen spinach taw in refrigerator over night, (I bought same day and thawed spinach in microwave on depfrost then put in strainer and squeezed water out, and used the flat pie dough which to me was great.

Enjoy
  • danagolding
    Options
    My new addiction: Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes

1 cup oats
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 banana
    2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or make your own: equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, & 3/4 part all-spice)

Directions:

1. Toss all ingredients in a blender and blend well until mixture becomes a batter like consistency.
    2. Cook until golden brown on a hot non-stick pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
    3. Flip over and cook on the other side until golden brown.
    4. Devour! (Or top with maple syrup, pecans, raisins or whatever you want. Personally I love them plain!)
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great ideas on here.

I put it on top of a toasted english muffin with fruit spread or fresh fruit.
  • princesslucylou86
    Options
    mix it with hot sauce and put it in a pitta :) yuuuum x
  • Ittybittychristy
    Options
    This sounds great!
    "mix it with tuna, grated zucchinni and 1 egg, make cakes and bake in the oven for 20 min- delicious"

i also like to mix it in with yogurt. Equal portions and you get extra protein punch!
  • mshippiequeen
    mshippiequeen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    spinach quiche (this one takes a while but is sooooo worth the wait) -
    1 Large Egg
    4 oz. 1% Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    1 cup frozen spinach (thawed)
    1 slice bread toasted and torn up; or 2 melba toasts broken into little croutonish pieces / or 3/4 cup rice crispies
    2 Tbsp. Skim Milk
    Onion Powder
    1 Tsp. Green Onion
    Dash Morton Lite Salt
    Pepper
    sploop of mustard (optional kick)
    1/2 tbsp country crock lite

Preparation:
    Separate 1 large egg at room temperature and beat separately. Blend cottage cheese with skim milk and mustard. Beat egg yolk with a dash of Morton Lite Salt, pepper, onion powder, and 1 tsp. green onion. Mix egg yolk mixture with cottage cheese and beat well. Add spinach. Add this mixture completely into stiffly beaten egg whites. Spray Pam in a personal casserole dish. Put 1 slice diet bread, toasted and crumbled, into casserole. Pour eggs in cottage cheese mixture over bread crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. as soon as it comes out, drizzle melted country crock along the very edges so it drips down and makes an amazing buttery crust.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I like large curd regular cottage cheese ( the low fat kind doesn't taste very good, not worth the difference IMHO) with a tablespoon of whole caraway seed sprinkled over it.
  • angelchipps
    angelchipps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found this on a bodybuilding website and it is BRILLIANT!

Bodybuilder Bread Pudding

1/2 cup of cottage cheese 2% or less milkfat
    1/2 tsp or less vanilla extract (depending on your taste)
    1 packet of splenda
    1/4 cup of california golden raisins.

Combine, Mix and Enjoy !
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    curry powder.
  • chocolateandbutterscotch
    Options
    This is what I like to do,

cook a low fat hamburger patty, season it to taste with what ever you like
    Top it with a few slices of tomato then a spoon of cottage cheese.
    It's very yummy. :)
  • kerns42
    kerns42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it with apple butter? it's amazing
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Most people I know give me a hard time because I love cottage cheese! I love it with just fresh ground pepper!

Does anyone else shake the cottage cheese before they buy it to make sure it has the right consistency? Or am I just strange?
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of mayo or dressing.
    Mix it with Sriracha and add to sandwiches, or as a dip for veggies, or on top of chicken, or tuna...amazing!
    Also with cantaloupe- SO GOOD.
    And I use it instead of mozzarella in a caprese salad, tomatoes, basil, cottage cheese and a little EVO and balsamic vinegar-SO GOOD!!!
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Personally I can eat it plain just as it is.

I like to use it as an easy breakfast food at times.....either plain or jazzed up with a bit of honey and cinnamon. Today I had it for breakfast with a bit of honey and pineapple salsa. Delish.

I also use it on baked potatoes or in other ways that I've seen posted in this thread.
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love mixing cottage cheese with fruit, it's amazing!
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Use it to make kugel:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/the-kugel-challenge/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

I had never had kugel before reading this recipe, and I never would have thought of it. But it's SO tasty and filling.