Are pepperoni balls unhealthy?!

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as an unhealthy food, only unhealthy diets. If it fits your macros for the day it's perfectly fine for you to eat.

Wow really? That's crazy, so food with a lot of bad chemicals is perfectly healthy?

What foods are that? And if they are "bad chemicals" I doubt they'd be allowed to sell it.

Your trust in the FDA is pretty amazing, honestly.

I would say there are foods healthier than others.

There are foods that may be nutritionally better than others, but please, tell me which foods are going to kill me then? Could you also provide the peer reviewed studies for those while you are at it? (Peer reviewed studies. Not blogs or wikipedia) :smile: Thanks ahead of time :bigsmile:

I love it when people are smug. I realize that the absence of peer reviewed studies do not prove that there are foods who kill people due to their additives. The smuggies however tend to forget that the absence of peer reviews also don't prove that certain foods do not do any harm.
    I just wonder as a non-American not living in the US ( assuming that is where you are from ) if all the FDA permits is so healthy, why do they regularly withdraw certain food additives and chemicals from use in the food industry and why are so many additives/chemicals deemed dangerous in many countries , but not in the US ? Is it because the rest of the world is just uninformed and behind the times....or why ?
    Things are getting removed because peer-reviewed studies show that they might not be so great. But there's nothing that could kill you in your food. Especially not in popular food or else there would be thousands of deaths from it every year if stuff like coke light killed people. Simple logic, really.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who didn't think of a bowl for food when the OP mentioned it being the size of a bowl? :laugh:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    12 bucks for 25 of em shipped to your door. 3.2 ounces each. Ordered for science.

I couldn't find an order form for the life of me!

No form . I called sadly they were closed. Will call first thing in the morning. Ya know for science still.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The conclusions that end up in the popular press to a lot of studies I'd suggest are rather different to the conclusions someone might draw if they take the time to read the study and properly analyse it themselves.
    They actually look pretty small. 3oz. So yeah. I can see 95 calories.
    3oz is 85g.

Lets say all the calories came from protein/carbs.
    4 calories per gram - so about 24g of food and 61g of water/air/etc?

Actually, found the nutrition info...
    15g carbs, 2g fat, 3g protein. 90 calories, but rounding errors etc make sense.

However, does something deep friend with pepporoni REALLY only have 2g of fat?
    (Really no idea on that, I'd have thought not, however.)
    The OP did not ask if she was obese or over weight or not fit, she asked if it was healthy.
    Missed this. And that was very much my point - what is generally considered 'healthy' depends very much on your current situation.

For some people, tasty calorie dense food IS very healthy.
    For others, more micronutrients and low calorie density might lead to more health benefits.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as an unhealthy food, only unhealthy diets. If it fits your macros for the day it's perfectly fine for you to eat.

Wow really? That's crazy, so food with a lot of bad chemicals is perfectly healthy?

What foods are that? And if they are "bad chemicals" I doubt they'd be allowed to sell it.

There are foods that may be nutritionally better than others, but please, tell me which foods are going to kill me then? Could you also provide the peer reviewed studies for those while you are at it? (Peer reviewed studies. Not blogs or wikipedia) :smile: Thanks ahead of time :bigsmile:

I love it when people are smug. I realize that the absence of peer reviewed studies do not prove that there are foods who kill people due to their additives. The smuggies however tend to forget that the absence of peer reviews also don't prove that certain foods do not do any harm.
    I just wonder as a non-American not living in the US ( assuming that is where you are from ) if all the FDA permits is so healthy, why do they regularly withdraw certain food additives and chemicals from use in the food industry and why are so many additives/chemicals deemed dangerous in many countries , but not in the US ? Is it because the rest of the world is just uninformed and behind the times....or why ?

Quoting for irony.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who didn't think of a bowl for food when the OP mentioned it being the size of a bowl? :laugh:

You are the reason they're going to have to add a disclaimer stating, "DO NOT SMOKE THIS PRODUCT" :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Yeah that's where my doubts come from too...

Oh and the supposed 95 calorie ball does NOT have cheese.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Please list the bad chemicals in question

I would like to know this too.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Well, certainly that would explain our increasing life span. Wait...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    The conclusions that end up in the popular press to a lot of studies I'd suggest are rather different to the conclusions someone might draw if they take the time to read the study and properly analyse it themselves.
    They actually look pretty small. 3oz. So yeah. I can see 95 calories.
    3oz is 85g.

Lets say all the calories came from protein/carbs.
    4 calories per gram - so about 24g of food and 61g of water/air/etc?

Actually, found the nutrition info...
    15g carbs, 2g fat, 3g protein. 90 calories, but rounding errors etc make sense.

However, does something deep friend with pepporoni REALLY only have 2g of fat?
    (Really no idea on that, I'd have thought not, however.)
    The OP did not ask if she was obese or over weight or not fit, she asked if it was healthy.
    Missed this. And that was very much my point - what is generally considered 'healthy' depends very much on your current situation.

For some people, tasty calorie dense food IS very healthy.
    For others, more micronutrients and low calorie density might lead to more health benefits.

I don't think they are deep fried...
  • Renee_1014
    Renee_1014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It looks delicious :(( I want to have one LOL
    maybe it is 95 calories! yes!
    because my fiber bar and a small pack of snacks have the same amount of calories >< though I still dare eating snacks …LOL
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    http://www.jognhog.com/videos/what-is-a-pepperoni-ball/
    About 30 seconds in - looks like a deep fryer to me.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

I just want to do a jog n hog followed up by a krispy kreme run. That is some motivation!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

I have had similar products (they are super popular in PA/WV) and they've been baked. I do think 95 is a stretch -- but they are widely available without the fry.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Maybe instead of imagining how smug I'm coming off, you just read what I wrote. If there are harmful chemicals hidden in foods killing people, I'd wonder why it hasn't been brought to the attention of someone. Why studies aren't showing it, etc. I ask for studies because opinions and biased cherry picking blogs aren't really reliable in my opinion.

Again, what are these chemicals? I'm sure the other countries may have done some research to ban said chemicals, right? So, can't you provide those studies? Oh wait. Or is that too smug to be asked? Apologies that I'd rather rely on science and facts versus some food fear mongering blogger.
  • jen3761
    jen3761 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents are that it is not healthy. At least in the sense that if you are trying to lose weight, it's not going to help you. Will eating it once hurt your weight loss? No. But eating it time and time again will set you back.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    My 2 cents are that it is not healthy. At least in the sense that if you are trying to lose weight, it's not going to help you. Will eating it once hurt your weight loss? No. But eating it time and time again will set you back.

No. Stop. Not helpful.

At all.

Why tell people that eating any food that fits into their caloric and macro nutrient goals will set them back? It won't.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Again, what are these chemicals?

NaCl is a chemical that is in most foods, and even my shampoo! And I just found out that it has a component that was used in poison gas in World War I! If that's not dangerous, I don't know what is!

j/k.

And why my shampoo has NaCl in it is a complete mystery to me.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

How if she's keeping it within her calorie goal?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Again, what are these chemicals?

NaCl is a chemical, and it has a component that was used in poison gas in World War I! If that's not dangerous, I don't know what is!

j/k

Was about to say...:laugh: