Spanking your kids yes or no?

Options

Replies

• dogalc
    dogalc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am totally against spanking to relieve ur anger. my mom did spank me, but after giving me fair warning a few times. it was her last resort. I love her for that. my dad meanwhile slapped me on two occasions pretty badly over some silly stuff I did bcoz he couldn't control his temper. I still can't forget it and definitely have not forgiven him. he taught me its OK to be pathologically angry. I have serious problem with controlling my temper now.
    . I am not OK with a teacher spanking a kid at least in schools i see around here, but then I had teachers who used to give blanket punishment bcoz they couldn't figure out who did what.' in that case its better to leave the punishment part to parents
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    CVPOQe5.gif
    Spanking your kids is creepy. Spanking is something you should do to your wife in bed.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    I wasn't spanked and I don't spank my children. That said, there are a million different discipline techniques parents can use. Some parents know of a vast array and are able to use teachable moments to mold their children's behavior. Other parents don't have that ability and just spank reactively, like a dog nipping at her pups, she doesn't know anything better.

My Mom was an exceptionally creative woman, and that scared me more than her hitting me ever would have.

I don't believe hitting a child teaches them anything positive. These kids are hit by someone who is supposed to love them more than anyone. What kind of spouse can they hope to get? They will probably be more likely to fall into the arms of an abusive spouse. My kids are taught that you don't hurt someone you love, no exceptions.
  • J_keegan
    Options
    Nooooooo way! All research points towards spanking leading to aggressive behaviour, lowered self confidence and even depression and anxiety problems later in life. No way would I ever hit my child.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Nooooooo way! All research points towards spanking leading to aggressive behaviour, lowered self confidence and even depression and anxiety problems later in life. No way would I ever hit my child.

I never realized I had all theses things? Strange.........:huh:

Seriously, people need to stop generalizing. Even studies, can't really prove anything, nobody came to my house for this study with my kids, or when I was a kid, with my parents. Every case is different, every child is different. I was spanked as a kid when I got out of line, I turned out fine. Do I spank my kids, I have a couple of times, sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

Its funny how people will sit here and debate this, but nobody mentioned verbal abuse? How kids are being treated that way now a days, is sometimes far worse, then any slap on the bum. Since many parents feel a stigma with spanking now, they resort to yelling, swearing, and bringing their kids down with WORDS!!!!

Threat every issue as its own issue! Don't generalize the punishment either. Sometimes they need to be yelled at, sometimes, "time out", sometimes a "sit down talk", and yes sometimes maybe a spank.
  • NicholePotato
    NicholePotato Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Spanking did't work to deter me from being bad because I usually thought about it ahead of time and determined a few minutes of pain was worth the bad thing I wanted to do :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    So the boyfriend and I got in an argument he thinks spanking has its place in raising children and I consider it a form a corporal punishment possibly abuse if the parents aren't in control with no real value teaches aggression, violence, and one study I read said there may be some relation to lower IQ. We were both spanked as children, and my Mom used to carry a wooden spoon I her purse to make us behave. What are your thoughts?

P.S.-if this is too much of a controversial subject you can lock it mods I was just curious.

So you don't have children but you have strong feelings about how to raise children?

Just so I'm clear.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Yes. Social science research.

Anyone else have trouble saying those three words together without laughing?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Yeah

But only a littl tap on the backside,

Did me no harm
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    We elected NOT to spank. I spent my childhood walking around with welts. My parents did not know moderation. No spanking at my house. (I received my last spanking at age 22 years old. That's a bit too old for a spanking, don't you think!?)
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My brother and I got spanked a few times but we learned pretty quick that being bad wasn't worth the punishment. Same with getting grounded, etc. I guess it could work without spankings if you teach respect and action/consequence early on.

Now, I like spankings as an adult but I don't think they're correlative, haha :smooched:
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    But, go on hitting your kids. You show them who is bigger and stronger. The bully at the school beating up all the smaller kids, that's your kid.

Look at a bully kid, then look at their parents. Typically, there's a very strong correlation there.

Do you have a study to support this line of bull? My siblings and I were all spanked, as was my wife. Not a bully in the bunch.

This is what makes these threads so fun to watch. So many people pulling stuff out of their rear

What makes them funny is people that ignore the research.

Please share this research connecting spanked kids to becoming bullies. I suspect that there are thousands on this site alone that were spanked that never bullied anyone

Spanked and not a bully! Do you seriously believe that? :s
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't have any children so I honestly can't say what I would do. HOWEVER, I got spanked as a child and I turned out just fine. I find it interesting that spanking wasn't a controversial topic AT ALL in the past. I was watching an episode of the Andy Griffith show where they openly discussed a child getting spanked and joked about it. Crime rates are exponentially higher than they were back then...I sometimes wonder if it's because people are afraid to discipline their children these days. I mean really, the majority of our parents and grandparents got spanked and if spankings are so horrible, how come our generation is the one that's messed up? #JustSayin.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    No.

How are we supposed to instill in our children that violence is not how to deal with our problems if we ourselves use violence to deal with problems?
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    No.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No.

Where I live, corporal punishment is prohibited in schools and the home. (Established 1987) Based on how the country is running, you don't need to spank your children to raise them well.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'll bite. I survived, and I think I turned out better because of the way I was disciplined. My father used his foot if I got out of line. I spank my kids if they need a wake up call, but they also get talked to so they understand the purpose. My kids are incredibly well behaved, they are great with other kids.

Contrast, My little sister and her husband have different ideas about discipline, the most they do with their son when he get's out of line is put on their non-confrontational tone and say no, don't do that. It doesn't get any more stern from there, and their kid is a mean little ****, who is constantly pushing buttons to see what he can get away with. They're setting that poor kid up for failure later in life.

Spanking is perfectly healthy so long as it serves a purpose and get's the message across.

Rigger
    Agreed. I was smacked as a child so I knew where the line was and what happened when I crossed it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    good discipline is not about whether you hit your kids or not.

it is about whether you lay down clear boundaries and consistently give out negative consequences for overstepping them.

hitting a kid does not automatically make them behave. some of the worst behaved kids I've known, three of whom I actually banned from my house because they were so naughty, were regularly hit by their parents. But there was no consistency. They'd play up and play up and play up until their parent(s) snapped and hit them. They learned to misbehave as much as they could get away with, and just avoid getting caught, or get out of the way if their mother was in a bad mood. Hitting kids does not magically make them behave. Clear boundaries and consistently applied consequences does.

I don't hit my kids because I don't see any point to it. They have other consequences, what i make sure is if they break a rule, they get a consequence. I very rarely have to give out actual consequences, because my kids know that if they don't comply, then the consequence will happen. I just warn them once, and they comply. Giving out empty threats, or giving too many chances (e.g. several warnings before a consequence) results in kids trying to get away with as much misbehaviour as they can. Hitting can be a consequence, but other consequences work just as well. My kids have other consequences like the naughty corner, having toys taken away for a period of time, loss of privileges, that kind of thing. I don't see the need to hit them at all.

And some punishments I use I think are quite a lot harsher than hitting them, and they tend to last longer, e.g. taking away their tablet computer for a day lasts much longer than getting hit... haven't actually had to do that, just the threat of it = compliance because they know that I *will* carry this out.... (note: for little kids, stick to immediate consequences because they have to have sufficient maturity to associate the punishment with what they did, little kids don't have that so immediate punishments like going to the naughty corner or having a toy removed immediately for a short time are much better, but once they can understand "I don't have _____ today because I did ____ yesterday" then more long term punishments are very effective, as long as they're done consistently and the boundaries are clear.)

It's not the punishment itself that disciplines the child, it's the process of laying down clear boundaries and consistently enforcing them.

And additionally, all this has to be within the context of a stable parent-child relationship where kids' emotional needs are being met, i.e. parents are giving them time, attention, having fun with them, giving them a chance to talk through problems, helping them with homework etc... misbehaviour can sometimes be through a lack of those things, rather than a lack of discipline.

note: I know that some neurological issues, e.g autistic spectrum disorder, can completely change the game when it comes to discipline, so some of the above may not apply... but the point about there being other effective ways to manage kids behaviour without hitting them still applies.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    No.

How are we supposed to instill in our children that violence is not how to deal with our problems if we ourselves use violence to deal with problems?

Did all the wars end today? pretty sure we show kids all over the world this exact thing on a daily basis

Spanking is not violence
  • KatieLouiseIzzard
    Options
    I was 'spanked' as a child, my younger brothers were not. I watched them grown up to be disrespectful little s**ts with no respect for my parents or any authority figure (teachers, police offers etc).

Of course the punishment had to fit the crime...sometimes we were grounded, or had a toy confiscated for a set period of time for small things like a little back chat or sibling fighting.

I was never spanked in anger and it was only ever a small swat that stung for a little bit, but the 'crime' was serious and there had to be a correlation between the act and the punishment. Just as there is in the law systems. For example the punishment for talking back to an adult/being rude to them couldn't be the same as stealing something. My brothers, however, never learnt this correlation properly and don't see that actions have different consequences and believe that as adults their actions will not have serious consequences.

This isn't to say though that if I had children I would use this method of discipline.
This discussion has been closed.