Pregnancy - December 2010

Options

Replies

• LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

I set mine to maintenance as well and I'm at 2020, which seems like so much when I was staying between 1200-1500 pre-pregnancy. I am 5'2 and weigh in at 188, and my Dr. only wants me to gain 20 lbs. She really gave it to me! But I was pretty much expecting that. No soda (check), no processed foods (half a check), low salt food (got it), excercise 30 mins a day (uh..sorta got it). So, hopefully I can stick to the 20lbs. I'm really trying to make healthy eating choices, eat until I feel full, and drink more water.

I just wanted to comment on the gain only 20lbs thing. That might work or it could be totally unrealistic. It would be a big red flag for me if a care provider at first appt said only gain 20lbs max. A range of say 20-30lbs or even 20-25lbs, but only a set number is not logical. You don't know yet even if you have more than one baby as I believe you have not had an u/s or if this baby is a boy, mothers expecting boys often feel hungrier and need a few more calories a day or if you just grow big babies. What if you watch your calories, eat well, and exercise yet gain more. Will you be chastised? And then what, not gain any more weight? That is unfair. I see it all the time, women told to gain x, or only y, or you gained too much or not enough.

I feel the same way, trust me. I sorta felt like she was trying to "scare" me a little or something, and maybe I would keep myself in a healthy range. No, I haven't had an US, so there could be more than one. I've had a little bit of nausea, but not enough to ruin my appetite, I actually feel better if I eat a little something.

I feel like the only thing that I can control is what I eat, and how often I excercise. I could eat the calories that are recommended for maintenance, workout for 30 mins a day, and still gain 35 lbs. I have no idea how my body is going to be, so I could do everything she asks and gain more than 20lbs. I'm not gonna beat myself up over it, that's for darn sure! If I'm hungry, I'll eat. I'm gonna make the healthiest choices possible, with the occasional indulgence :bigsmile: and if I gain over 20 lbs, I'll be ok with that. As long as my baby is healthy, and I know that I am making the healthiest choices for us, I'll be ok with whatever I gain.

On a side note, I love your children's names! I noticed them the other day and told my husband that I really like Ellery. Do you have a name picked out for the new baby?
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I feel the same way, trust me. I sorta felt like she was trying to "scare" me a little or something, and maybe I would keep myself in a healthy range. No, I haven't had an US, so there could be more than one. I've had a little bit of nausea, but not enough to ruin my appetite, I actually feel better if I eat a little something.

I feel like the only thing that I can control is what I eat, and how often I excercise. I could eat the calories that are recommended for maintenance, workout for 30 mins a day, and still gain 35 lbs. I have no idea how my body is going to be, so I could do everything she asks and gain more than 20lbs. I'm not gonna beat myself up over it, that's for darn sure! If I'm hungry, I'll eat. I'm gonna make the healthiest choices possible, with the occasional indulgence :bigsmile: and if I gain over 20 lbs, I'll be ok with that. As long as my baby is healthy, and I know that I am making the healthiest choices for us, I'll be ok with whatever I gain.

On a side note, I love your children's names! I noticed them the other day and told my husband that I really like Ellery. Do you have a name picked out for the new baby?

Good for you, ITA w/ that philosophy. W/ a one of mine I gained 11lbs, another single 40+, I had a medical issue w/ his placenta at 11 weeks and needed to consume more calories to compensate, twins 42lbs and should have gained more. Most though 20-25lbs and that was w/ a wide variation of eating and little exercise. I think we often gain what we are meant to gain. Although I wanted to say you need a care provider that is on board w/ you and not potentially hassling you for their weight gain agenda that does not fit your body or pregnancy. You can always switch provider, at any time, if they are not a good fit. Any care provider that states only a number and doesn't look at what you are actually consuming w/ a food diary is failing their client.

Thank you! We love Irish names. We have a few thoughts on names, but nothing that says this is it. I wait until I hear or think of the right name and that I feel that is it and then we know. It is getting harder!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I can't believe December is already here! My 2 kid's birthdays are this weekend. So it will be quite the weekend. Only 16 weeks 2 days left...Yes I am counting down already.

Have a great day!

OMG I never thought about it like this. I was like how is she only got 16 weeks, she wasn't that much further along than me. DOH!!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I have a count down on my calendar at work, after this week I only have 14 more weeks of work! That means 18 weeks until my due date, yay! I can't wait to meet my little princess. Everyone at work thinks I am funny for counting down until what I call my extended vacation. Shoot I haven't had more than 4 days off in a row since my last maternity leave (almost 4 years ago). It will be nice to have a nice little break before my baby comes.
  • Caliwaters25
    Options
    Tahmed-I loved your post. I gave into maternity full time pants at 22 weeks and was so sad that even my "fat" pants wouldn't work even with the rubber band trick.

I know I have been MIA. I have 2 weeks of school left and finish officially on the 14th. My due date is Jan 12 and have hit the mark where I have to see my doctor weekly from now on. Weigh in day is today and according to my doctors scale I am at 195 lbs, my pre-pregnancy weight was 164, kind of sad that I have already hit 31 lbs but I know that I will just have to work hard to work it off or maybe I will be lucky and lose most of the baby weight when bf''n. 6 weeks to go.

Good luck to the TTC girls.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Where did you ladies get a lot of your maternity clothes from? Where are your favorite spots (that arn't too expensive!!)?
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Where did you ladies get a lot of your maternity clothes from? Where are your favorite spots (that arn't too expensive!!)?

Funny you should ask. I had a total crying melt down about maternity clothes this morning. I bought a pair of pants at Kohls and 2 pair at JCPenny. The mistake I made was buying them when I was 12 weeks, just in case one day I woke up and needed them. They felt comfy then, but now that I have a bit of a bump, the band on the 2 pairs I got at JCPenny cut right in above my belly button, and are SO uncomfortable. I had them hemed, so I cant even take them back :(. I really didn't want to spend the money, but I called my husband this morning and asked for $200 to go to Motherhood Maternity and get some real clothes from a company that specializes in maternity. Although they are more expensive than Kohls or JC Penny, I have been told it is worth it, expecially if you have to be dressed business professional like I do every day.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options

Funny you should ask. I had a total crying melt down about maternity clothes this morning. I bought a pair of pants at Kohls and 2 pair at JCPenny. The mistake I made was buying them when I was 12 weeks, just in case one day I woke up and needed them. They felt comfy then, but now that I have a bit of a bump, the band on the 2 pairs I got at JCPenny cut right in above my belly button, and are SO uncomfortable. I had them hemed, so I cant even take them back :(. I really didn't want to spend the money, but I called my husband this morning and asked for $200 to go to Motherhood Maternity and get some real clothes from a company that specializes in maternity. Although they are more expensive than Kohls or JC Penny, I have been told it is worth it, expecially if you have to be dressed business professional like I do every day.

Motherhood Maternity can get very expensive very quickly. They do however always have clearance sections which is a help. I just bought a couple of items there... 1 dress and 2 packs preggo undies for $80 (the dress was on clearance... I needed something to wear for Turkey Day!!) I think the bigger you get the more uncomfortable your clothes get period, I can't stand to wear anything other than pjs or sweat pants. I am uncomfortable all day and can't wait to get home :ohwell: . I just keep reminding myself that it is okay to be uncomfortable for a while when the end result is my beautiful princess. :smile:
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

I haven't bought any maternity clothes yet, but I know of a store in my area called Waddles and Toddles that is a consignment store for gently used maternity and baby clothes, and baby items. I've heard that they have decent prices and the stuff is in good shape. I very rarely buy clothes brand new unless they are on sale or clearance, so I'm going to try to do the same with maternity clothes.

I know that our Salvation Army and Goodwill both have a maternity section as well. I've also seen people selling their maternity clothes in bulk on Craigslist for a good price.

I figure I don't know how big I'm going to get, or what kind of bump I'm going to have, so I would hate to spend a lot on a pair of pants that I may not fit into for very long.
  • ckmama
    Options

I haven't been impressed with the clothes i got from Mother hood this time. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't find them to be comfortable. They cost me around $150 for just 2 pants, and 3 blouses.

I ended up buying about $100 worth on Oldnavy.com under maternity, I got 1 dress, 5 blouses, 1 pants, and 2 undershirts. And I love just about everything I bought. Most items fit true to size, I had 2 shirts that ran a little big and none of them shrank like some of my MH stuff has.

My SIL got most of hers from Gap Maternity. She got coupons and loves her stuff from there better than MH as well. They don't sell plus size maternity, so not an option for me.

Oh and if you want super cheap you could try Target they have a small maternity section. I also bought from JCP, a blouse, that I almost paid nothing for, but i find it to be kind of funny fitting and blah, but only cost $$5 on clearance, couldn't pass it up.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I I only have 14 more weeks of work! That means 18 weeks until my due date, yay! ... It will be nice to have a nice little break before my baby comes.

That sounds so nice! I quit my Sat/Sun restaurant job the week before I was due, but I went into my normal Mon-Fri for a full day in labor (mild labor...) :smile: But that was 100% financially driven since I don't get any maternity leave. I had to sell my horse to cover bills for the 2 weeks I actually took off. This time I should at least have 1 week of vacation time I can use and hopefully the hubby will be working and maybe I can take 3 or 4 weeks off. Probably not. It will probably be 2 again. :ohwell:
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    I I only have 14 more weeks of work! That means 18 weeks until my due date, yay! ... It will be nice to have a nice little break before my baby comes.

That sounds so nice! I quit my Sat/Sun restaurant job the week before I was due, but I went into my normal Mon-Fri for a full day in labor (mild labor...) :smile: But that was 100% financially driven since I don't get any maternity leave. I had to sell my horse to cover bills for the 2 weeks I actually took off. This time I should at least have 1 week of vacation time I can use and hopefully the hubby will be working and maybe I can take 3 or 4 weeks off. Probably not. It will probably be 2 again. :ohwell:

You don't get a maternity leave? Here in California we get to start maternity leave at 36 weeks and remain on maternity leave until 6 weeks after if you have a vaginal birth and 8 weeks off if you have a c-section. They take the money out of our paychecks from the moment we begin working here , lol it is disability pay and the only way I have ever gotten back any of that money is by taking my maternity leaves. Yay 22 weeks Sunday so exciting!
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options

I got a couple shirts last time at Ross and Marshalls. I think I spent less than $30 for like 7 or 8 shirts? They are not the super best quality, but they looked nice and you're only going to wear them for 6 months. Maybe 12 if you wear them again, but even then $30 for more is still cheaper than hundreds at Motherhood etc. I did end up with 2 pair of pants from Motherhood because my MIL leaned that at 6 months I still had not bought any and sent me some. They were pretty good, but I think too lose in the thighs and butt, I just grew into them. I like the ones with just the small elastic waist and not the panel. Then I can just keep them down on my hips like my pants usually are. I would go insane with pants that come up over the top to my belly. I also got some pants at a garage sale and came across a pair of great black capris at Goodwill for like a dollar. Since, my SIL and my best friend have had babies so I passed it all on to them. I'll pick it back up over new years along with whatever they added to the pile and hang on to it until the next person needs it. That's the way to do it! (Though, working from home now, I see mostly gym pants and Tshirts in my future... since that's what I wear all the time anyway! I never go anywhere that i need to get dressed for. Seriously - like ever.)
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options

You don't get a maternity leave? Here in California we get to start maternity leave at 36 weeks and remain on maternity leave until 6 weeks after if you have a vaginal birth and 8 weeks off if you have a c-section. They take the money out of our paychecks from the moment we begin working here , lol it is disability pay and the only way I have ever gotten back any of that money is by taking my maternity leaves. Yay 22 weeks Sunday so exciting!

There are only 5 employees at the company I work for, so they don't have to follow rules like health insurance, leave etc. I can take time off unpaid it I want, (though I don't think she would be legally obligated to hold my job since the company is so small, though I know she would) but I can't afford more than a week or two. I get only 3 sick days (which expire), no personal days, and 1 week paid vacation a year, which I usually just don't take so I can cash it out at the end of the year as I need the money more than time off to sit home and do nothing (since I would never actually pay to go on a real vacation during that time.) (Oh, and I get paid crap too :laugh:) I know I get disability and such taken out of my check, but it's the kind you can only get if you file through the government for actual disability, and maternity does not count. If I could take paid time off, believe me, I would take it all! :laugh: I had a C/S too last time, but was back in 2 weeks. I only did 30 hrs a week for the first 2 weeks instead of 40 though so that was a nice break to transition into working full time with an infant with me!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I haven't been impressed with the clothes i got from Mother hood this time. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't find them to be comfortable. They cost me around $150 for just 2 pants, and 3 blouses.

I ended up buying about $100 worth on Oldnavy.com under maternity, I got 1 dress, 5 blouses, 1 pants, and 2 undershirts. And I love just about everything I bought. Most items fit true to size, I had 2 shirts that ran a little big and none of them shrank like some of my MH stuff has.

My SIL got most of hers from Gap Maternity. She got coupons and loves her stuff from there better than MH as well. They don't sell plus size maternity, so not an option for me.

Oh and if you want super cheap you could try Target they have a small maternity section. I also bought from JCP, a blouse, that I almost paid nothing for, but i find it to be kind of funny fitting and blah, but only cost $$5 on clearance, couldn't pass it up.

Oh, I forgot about Old Navy maternity! Thanks for that reminder.

I actually went to Target on Tuesday & bought a belly band (only $16.99). Let's be honest, with all this bloat and constipation, my regular jeans are in NO WAY comfortable buttoned & zipped, even with the rubber band trick. :embarassed: I plan to belly band for as long as possible before breaking down & buying maternity clothes.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Well, I had my first ultrasound yesterday.... They saw a gestational sac and yolk sac both measuring what they should be but no heartbeat yet. The doc said it was too soon so not to worry yet. He put me on a prenatal called rovin nv. Generic for mentax or neevo. I hadn't ever taken a prescription prenatal before and this one is SOO Pricey. I'm not sure how I feel about it. After insurance, we still paid 45 dollars for it. That is the most we have ever had to pay for any of our prescriptions ever.
    Anyway, I go in on the 10th for another ultrasound and the doc said I should see the heartbeat by then so now I just have to be patient....
  • ckmama
    Options

Here in Louisiana, it is not state mandated. It is only if you have sick or vacation time that you get paid. And you only get 12 weeks which are covered by FMLA if there are more than 50 employees. So if you work for a mom and pop, many times, they fill your position. You are very lucky.

Oh and if your Health insurance comes out of your paycheck and you are taking unpaid leave you have to pay the full price out of pocket to keep it active.

I was lucky with my last one, I had just enough vacation saved to cover 8 weeks and then I worked from home for 4 weeks PT until I could go back full time. I worked for a small non profit and they loved me back then so it worked out. Otherwise I would have been SOL.
  • ckmama
    Options
    Well, I had my first ultrasound yesterday.... They saw a gestational sac and yolk sac both measuring what they should be but no heartbeat yet. The doc said it was too soon so not to worry yet. He put me on a prenatal called rovin nv. Generic for mentax or neevo. I hadn't ever taken a prescription prenatal before and this one is SOO Pricey. I'm not sure how I feel about it. After insurance, we still paid 45 dollars for it. That is the most we have ever had to pay for any of our prescriptions ever.
    Anyway, I go in on the 10th for another ultrasound and the doc said I should see the heartbeat by then so now I just have to be patient....

It is too soon. I like you had an US at 5/6 weeks and they saw the sacs but no HB cause it was too early. I wouldnt' worry about that prenatal vitamin, I bought them with my first pregnancy and it was pricey, not covered by insurance, and they made me so sick. I ended up not taking them. I would talk to him about an OTC option next time you call or go.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I got lucky with maternity clothes. My sister saved all her stuff, so she gave me a huge box (i am a little thinner than she was, but they will fit nicely when I get huge). I am also planning ot just wear my bigger clothes. I am down to a 12/14 but I still own a lot of 16/18 clothes and tons of XXL sweaters. I am just going to try to continue to squeeze into those and only buy what I absolutely have to (which is the belly band when I feel like I need it).
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Finally back at it today and walked my 6 miles at 3.7 mph, uphill. I burned 707 calories today. I was happy Millionaire Matchmaker was on. Wow, have I popped all of the sudden! The past couple of days I have noticed that I am now really "out there" bellywise. Still haven't worn my maternity pants (new record for me) but it will be soon I am sure.

Do any of you watch Dr. Phil? I was watching some I had recorded and he has been doing a "housewives" episode every week with the same ladies. One of the ladies is Gloria and I saw her on one of the episodes of Millionaire Matchmaker. She was at the mixer trying to get picked by the millionaire for a date (she only spoke a couple of lines). She didn't get picked but I found it interesting that she was on that show.

Well, I hope you all have a great rest of your day!