Spanking your kids yes or no?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Discipline is not abuse. Have you seen the way kids act these days? They are the ones whose parents don't discipline them. Sometimes you have to do more than talk to them and take away their favorite toy. I was spanked and I'm not violent. I learned respect from an early age. Parents let their kids run the show far too often and they think it's cute when that kid is 2, but they're saying something much different when that kid turns 16 and had zero respect for their own parents as well as any other authority figure. Spanking is not abuse.

And is there proof that the reason "kids these days" misbehave is because of lack of spanking?

Every time I see a kid acting out all crazy and being disrespectful. I always think to myself. "That kid needs a good *kitten*-whooping!" It teaches respect! If children are not disciplined and taught respect, I fear greatly for our future. I see kids all the time that don't even get time-outs or scolded, parents just let them run a muck and the parents do nothing, because they want to be friends with their kid, instead of the adult figure that child needs.

So in other words, these kids are brats because their parents are doing NOTHING, as opposed to not spanking? When I see an unruly kid in the store I work at, I think that the parent needs to teach them how to properly behave outside of the home. I don't think that kid needs to be spanked because I don't believe spanking is a good method. It doesn't make sense to hit someone to get them to obey you, and this coming from someone who was spanked as a kid.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I believe spanking has it's place. I have a 4 yearold who has learned to undo his car seat buckles. As I was driving down the interstate he announced "mom I am getting out". I promptly told him no he could get hurt and it was not safe. I reminded him that mommy has to wear a seat belt to keep her safe too. He undid it anyway and began to crawl into the front seat with me. I calmly pulled the car to the shoulder of the road and told him he was going to be spanked for doing something soo dangerous. He was in tears before I had him across my knee but I gave him 4 spanks on the butt. And then buckled him back in his seat. We sat on the side of the road till he calmed down enough for me to talk about what happened.

He can't grasp the consiquences of a possible accident but he knows that taking his seatbelt off while we are driving will result in pain.

I'm with you on this one! I was at walmart not too long ago and a 3 year or 4 year old child was throwing a major fit in the checkout line. the mother was sooooo calm. she excused herself and took her child into the bathroom. I think i know what happneded in there but that child came out quiet and much calmer. i agree kids will learn the result b/c at a young age they do not understand consequence

LOL when my kids act up in the store we make them do push up's in front of everyone works like a charm:smile: as well...
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Nope, no spanking the kids here.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    and just to present a counter for the "spanking is abuse" ... (in general not directed at anyone, just thinking out loud)

couldn't it also be said that isolating a child in a corner or putting them in a corner in a hallway or room repeatidly be considered mental abuse as well?

I don't think so but I don't think that spanking as a disciplinary tool is any more abuse than a time out or taking away toys, etc..
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    you should never spank your kids. just shake the crap outta them

Nothing makes a child behave better than Shaken Baby Syndrome!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums
    Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.