Paleo = dying young?

Options

Replies

• dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The goal of these boards is to be supportive of each other -- not tear each other down. Different diets/approaches will work and we don't have to agree. We do, however, need to be respectful. It's great that everyone is so passionate about what they are doing and for those of you who are already successful and maintaining your weight, congratulations!!! However, some of us are just starting and new on this site. Everyone should be able to post ideas and have a conversation without being slammed or insulted. All of us are striving to be healthier. But if you are healthy and a jerk, who cares? Let the anger and desire to "be right" go. State your point, share your links, and your advice but RESPECTFULLY. If you can't, then don't post. The last thing we need is to feel that we can't share on a site that is designed to help us support each other. Losing weight is hard. It's a lifestyle change. For some people, like her husband, it could be a factor in life or death. So, slam me too if you want. Call me ignorant or a whiner. But it's not right. Stop being disrespectful. Let's make a stand that we will NOT tolerate negativity or bullying on these main boards.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The goal of these boards is to be supportive of each other

Says who?
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Eat like the cave men huh? Conflicted I Be!

Some say its healthy cause you leave out all the grains that were not a part of that diet, but some believe cavemen didnt live long because of all the high fatty meats they ate caused early deaths because of the cholesterol.

I think it be another fad. Look at Atkins....sure it helped, but was it a healthy life style change? Leaning more towards NO!

Everything in moderation.
    Yeah a little bit of arsenic and poison are ok in moderation I suppose. Anyways some people actually do have gluten sensitivities and actually feel better when they don't eat the typical SAD diet. There's no rule that says you have to eat grains it's just the cultural norm. People always poke fun at what's different.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind Paleo so much if you didn't have to spend twice as much on food or have to go slaughter the animals yourself because you can't find it in the grocery store... Or that they like to base their belief on the idea that agriculture is what is making us fat... depsite the fact that society has used and depended on agriculture for 10,000 years and only the last 30 is how long we have been battling obesity.

Coinciding with PE and recess disappearing from schools, parents not allowing their children to just go outside and play all day, the Internet and more time spent in front of video games.

But it must be the wheat. ;-)

I think those are contributors too, without a doubt. But we've never seen such a high rate of insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and metabolic disorders as in the past. PE, recess and the internet aren't causing that in adults. Things like trans fat, high fructose corn syrup, etc. are also contributors without a doubt. But, I think wheat and grains are as well as there has been a notable increase in their consumption in the last 100 years or so as well.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I wouldn't mind Paleo so much if you didn't have to spend twice as much on food or have to go slaughter the animals yourself because you can't find it in the grocery store... Or that they like to base their belief on the idea that agriculture is what is making us fat... depsite the fact that society has used and depended on agriculture for 10,000 years and only the last 30 is how long we have been battling obesity.

Coinciding with PE and recess disappearing from schools, parents not allowing their children to just go outside and play all day, the Internet and more time spent in front of video games.

It has nothing to do with increasingly sedentary jobs and lifestyles and greater availability and decreasing price of high-calorie foods.

It's just that people stopped eating Paleo since 1980.

Also, contributors -- though I think the industrial revolution in the mid 1800s, the level of sedentary jobs hasn't increased at the same rate as obesity in this country. And a lot of those nutrient shallow, high calorie foods are filled with sugar substitutes and grain-based carbs. Coincidence?
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Cavemen also drank untreated water, and hunted for their food daily, sucked marrow out of bones, and scavenged when they had to......................................................I'm betting no paleo person on here does that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Wow. And you're supposed to be a personal/fitness trainer. This may be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in a while. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nutritional plan WHATSOEVER. Way to be bring asinine to the party.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It has nothing to do with increasingly sedentary jobs and lifestyles and greater availability and decreasing price of high-calorie foods.

Also, contributors -- though I think the industrial revolution in the mid 1800s, the level of sedentary jobs hasn't increased at the same rate as obesity in this country. And a lot of those nutrient shallow, high calorie foods are filled with sugar substitutes and grain-based carbs. Coincidence?
    People could barely afford any food at all, though -- the ones working in sweatshops, anyway. So no matter what you're eating or how sedentary you are, if food is difficult to come by, you're not going to be overweight. Pepole worked 16-20 hours a day, six or seven days a week without breaks.

NOw we have food in abundance and while we only work (in general) eight-hour days, most people then go home and sit on their couches instead of exercising.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The goal of these boards is to be supportive of each other -- not tear each other down. Different diets/approaches will work and we don't have to agree. We do, however, need to be respectful. It's great that everyone is so passionate about what they are doing and for those of you who are already successful and maintaining your weight, congratulations!!! However, some of us are just starting and new on this site. Everyone should be able to post ideas and have a conversation without being slammed or insulted. All of us are striving to be healthier. But if you are healthy and a jerk, who cares? Let the anger and desire to "be right" go. State your point, share your links, and your advice but RESPECTFULLY. If you can't, then don't post. The last thing we need is to feel that we can't share on a site that is designed to help us support each other. Losing weight is hard. It's a lifestyle change. For some people, like her husband, it could be a factor in life or death. So, slam me too if you want. Call me ignorant or a whiner. But it's not right. Stop being disrespectful. Let's make a stand that we will NOT tolerate negativity or bullying on these main boards.
    NO
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Do you have data for that claim? What about when you factor in rises in TV viewing, video gaming, and computer use time?

Bottom line is that obesity has risen because people move less and eat more. People move less because jobs are more sedentary and indoor, sit-on-your-butt leisure activities such as HDTV and internet have increased. People eat more because calories are more delicious, more convenient, and cheaper now than they have ever been throughout human history.

There's no mystery here. It's not toxins or demon nutrients that are making people fat. It's sitting on your butt more and eating more. The solution therefore is, as always, to move more and eat less.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    People are really thinking cavemen had a shorter life expectancy due to their lack of rice?
    And not the fact that there were no doctors, hospitals, basic medicines or any type of medical care, for anything from childbirth to infections to animal bites, falls and injuries?
    Hmmmm...

^this^
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Cavemen also drank untreated water, and hunted for their food daily, sucked marrow out of bones, and scavenged when they had to......................................................I'm betting no paleo person on here does that.

IDEA Fitness member

Wow. And you're supposed to be a personal/fitness trainer. This may be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in a while. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nutritional plan WHATSOEVER. Way to be bring asinine to the party.
    Ninerbuff doesn't need to prove anything to nayone and so far your contributions are meh. lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I think those are contributors too, without a doubt. But we've never seen such a high rate of insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and metabolic disorders as in the past. PE, recess and the internet aren't causing that in adults. Things like trans fat, high fructose corn syrup, etc. are also contributors without a doubt. But, I think wheat and grains are as well as there has been a notable increase in their consumption in the last 100 years or so as well.

Interesting, without a doubt? So why does paleo preach eating higher trans fat cuts of beef ie grassfed beef?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Do you have data for that claim? What about when you factor in rises in TV viewing, video gaming, and computer use time?

Bottom line is that obesity has risen because people move less and eat more. People move less because jobs are more sedentary and indoor, sit-on-your-butt leisure activities such as HDTV and internet have increased. People eat more because calories are more delicious, more convenient, and cheaper now than they have ever been throughout human history.

There's no mystery here. It's not toxins or demon nutrients that are making people fat. It's sitting on your butt more and eating more. The solution therefore is, as always, to move more and eat less.

So you think diet does matter at all? That all calories are created equal for everyone? That it's a strict calorie deficit issue? That what people eat literally doesn't matter?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Ninerbuff doesn't need to prove anything to nayone and so far your contributions are meh. lol

No one needs to prove anything. I'm just asking for logical statements. Disagree all you want. But saying something totally nonsensical is stupid. Tomatoes are red. True, but who cares?

And I'm sure Ninerbuff is a big boy and can fight his own battles if he chooses to do so.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Uh...cavemen more likely died because of natural causes or lack of medical care (thanks Obama!) than high cholesterol. The fiber from all of the fruits and vegetables they ate likely cancelled out any cholesterol from the red meats.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options

So you think diet does matter at all? That all calories are created equal for everyone? That it's a strict calorie deficit issue? That what people eat literally doesn't matter?
    Where did he say it didn't?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Uh...cavemen more likely died because of natural causes or lack of medical care (thanks Obama!) than high cholesterol. The fiber from all of the fruits and vegetables they ate likely cancelled out any cholesterol from the red meats.
    Cavemen didn't have agriculture so they weren't eating fruits and veggies in any significant quantities.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Interesting, without a doubt? So why does paleo preach eating higher trans fat cuts of beef ie grassfed beef?

I believe it's because there is a difference between the naturally occurring transfat (CLA specifically) you see in grass-fed beef as opposed to those created industrially by hydrogenating vegetable oils. Small chemical structure differences, but have huge different effects on the body. Plus, the overall benefit of the omega 3-6 ratio you see in grass-fed as opposed to grain-fed beef.

http://chriskresser.com/can-some-trans-fats-be-healthy
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Not sure what you're getting at. Weight gain versus weight loss is a matter of calorie surplus or deficit only, yes.

What people eat to get those calories literally doesn't matter at all for weight loss or gain. What food you get those calories from has a significant impact on body composition, hormone levels, satiety, etc.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

People could barely afford any food at all, though -- the ones working in sweatshops, anyway. So no matter what you're eating or how sedentary you are, if food is difficult to come by, you're not going to be overweight. Pepole worked 16-20 hours a day, six or seven days a week without breaks.

NOw we have food in abundance and while we only work (in general) eight-hour days, most people then go home and sit on their couches instead of exercising.

I don't disagree with you. More activity means you can eat more, and you can probably get away with the more carbs specifically. But, if people are more sedentary (which I agree is the case in the US), then what you eat becomes all that more important because you don't have the margin created by the increase in exercise. Those same sedentary people that go Paleo and lowish carb will not be as obese.