Paleo = dying young?

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It would be extremely instructive if you could open your diary and then point to the time period you were eating 700+ calorie daily deficits without losing weight so we could compare to the time period you were eating Primal and losing weight.

I see you've been here since 2009 so I assume you were logging on MFP pre-Primal.

So could you show us this data, please?

I don't have that data.

What a shame. I guess we'll just have to take your word for it then, huh?

In contrast to your lack of data substantiating your claims, my diary is fully open and I will happily link to my complete history of weight and body composition data as well. The reader following along may make his or her own conclusions.

Yes. Luckily, I'm super honest. I don't splice quotes or misrepresent them. Full integrity.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pioneer the medieval diet for the mass market.

You don't eat any meat or fish you haven't let the blood of yourself, and you'll live by the 1500s carving, "Beware of green salads and raw fruits, for they will make your master sick."

Dairy is good, sugar is good, cereals are good, and bacon is really good.

Profits.

ETA: because look at how healthy this lady is... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11161525
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    That's awesome! That works for you.
    I just wish people would just let each other do their own thing...took me a while on here to realize that everyone has to find what works for them.
    And obviously, it was more than her just telling me how great she feels...she's lost 20 pounds, 3 dress sizes, and her stomach issues are gone as well as her joint inflammation.
    What happened to just being happy for someone and thinking it's great that they found something that works for them instead of always a debate?

Let's talk about this.

So when someone posts in the forums that they're starting HCG, a diet that is known to be dangerous and restricts calories to a level the body can't handle, we should say what? "Good for you! Whatever works!"

If someone is pushing an obvious sales pitch to sell some MLM marketing meal replacement that does little for health and is very overpriced...should we not say a word and let new members line up to be fleeced only to face disappointment later?

Every single fad diet in the world has someone promoting it. No matter how dangerous or stupid. If there's money to be made someone is out there trying to separate people desperate to lose weight from their hard earned cash.

IF you stand by your diet plan, back up your words! Have some evidence for the claims you're making. Don't just say "everyone's different, different things work for everyone." Truth is everyone is pretty much the same. If we weren't it would be REALLY hard to be a doctor. Hell MFP only works because it knows if you're X height, X age, and X weight you need to eat X calories a day to lose weight. If we were all so very different and unique none of this would work.

You lose weight with a calorie deficit. Some people who suffer from allergies or conditions like PCOS or Hashimotos need to limit certain food groups. Other than that? We're all the same. We lose weight by eating less calories.

If someone tells you different, they're trying to sell you something.

Who is trying to "sell" anything with paleo? Farmers should benefit, since we're eating more natural, unprocessed foods. I don't see any big corporations backing paleo - there's no money in it for them!

If I had a friend planning to try a "fad" diet that in my opinion would be unhealthy, then I would tell them. Fad diets are promoted by companies trying to make a buck. How can eating real food be considered a fad?

I totally agree. Is Paleo a big conspiracy by organic farmers and grass-fed ranchers?

If anything, Paleo is an anti-fad diet. It goes against the grain of the big business behind factory farms, dairy, wheat/grains, weight loss industry, fast food industry, etc. I don't think Paleo/Primal have any special interest groups lobbying in Washington and yet all those other groups do....hmmmm...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It would be extremely instructive if you could open your diary and then point to the time period you were eating 700+ calorie daily deficits without losing weight so we could compare to the time period you were eating Primal and losing weight.

I see you've been here since 2009 so I assume you were logging on MFP pre-Primal.

I don't have that data.

In contrast to your lack of data substantiating your claims, my diary is fully open and I will happily link to my complete history of weight and body composition data as well. The reader following along may make his or her own conclusions.

Yes. Luckily, I'm super honest. I don't splice quotes or misrepresent them. Full integrity.

Nothing says "integrity" like making anonymous claims about things you've done online without offering data to verify it.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I just wish people would just let each other do their own thing...took me a while on here to realize that everyone has to find what works for them.
    And obviously, it was more than her just telling me how great she feels...she's lost 20 pounds, 3 dress sizes, and her stomach issues are gone as well as her joint inflammation.
    What happened to just being happy for someone and thinking it's great that they found something that works for them instead of always a debate?

Let's talk about this.

So when someone posts in the forums that they're starting HCG, a diet that is known to be dangerous and restricts calories to a level the body can't handle, we should say what? "Good for you! Whatever works!"

If someone is pushing an obvious sales pitch to sell some MLM marketing meal replacement that does little for health and is very overpriced...should we not say a word and let new members line up to be fleeced only to face disappointment later?

Every single fad diet in the world has someone promoting it. No matter how dangerous or stupid. If there's money to be made someone is out there trying to separate people desperate to lose weight from their hard earned cash.

IF you stand by your diet plan, back up your words! Have some evidence for the claims you're making. Don't just say "everyone's different, different things work for everyone." Truth is everyone is pretty much the same. If we weren't it would be REALLY hard to be a doctor. Hell MFP only works because it knows if you're X height, X age, and X weight you need to eat X calories a day to lose weight. If we were all so very different and unique none of this would work.

You lose weight with a calorie deficit. Some people who suffer from allergies or conditions like PCOS or Hashimotos need to limit certain food groups. Other than that? We're all the same. We lose weight by eating less calories.

Who is trying to "sell" anything with paleo? Farmers should benefit, since we're eating more natural, unprocessed foods. I don't see any big corporations backing paleo - there's no money in it for them!

If I had a friend planning to try a "fad" diet that in my opinion would be unhealthy, then I would tell them. Fad diets are promoted by companies trying to make a buck. How can eating real food be considered a fad?
    I'll just leave this here
    th?id=H.4955255359473857&pid=15.1

Fair enough. There are products out there. I'd just forgotten about them. But you don't need them at all. I don't use any products like that.
  • JnK619
    JnK619 Posts: 320
    Options
    There is a ton of different diets as we all know, and there are a ton of studies that say one thing and a different study says another. I am not a successful dieter (if thats a word) but I have had success doing weight watchers, adkins, MFP, and the 17 day diet, but eventually gained it all +more back. The problems for me had nothing to do with the diet, I was the problem. Most diets will work if you stay with it. For me I finally realized that a diet of any kind will not work for me, I need a lifestyle change!

I am actually tracking my eating and excersizing on this site and trying to stay under my calories. I've only lost 5 total pounds in almost a month, but i'm ok with it. I've eaten bad (and too much beer) on the weekends, but I'm slowly getting better about it and plan on slowly changing my lifestyle for the long term.

There is way too much diet/workout routine bashing here, do want you want if it works great, if not or you hit a standstill, adjust.
    I am officially off the soap box. enjoy your weekend!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Let's talk about this.

I totally agree. Is Paleo a big conspiracy by organic farmers and grass-fed ranchers?

If anything, Paleo is an anti-fad diet. It goes against the grain of the big business behind factory farms, dairy, wheat/grains, weight loss industry, fast food industry, etc. I don't think Paleo/Primal have any special interest groups lobbying in Washington and yet all those other groups do....hmmmm...
    Since it is based upon pseudoscience, it can be anything anyone wants it to be.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I don't have that data.

Nothing says "integrity" like making anonymous claims about things you've done online without offering data to verify it.

Ugh, I have offered data, just not my own personal set. I've offered my testimony -- that is data. It's just as reliable data as a food diary as I could have manufactured that as well. I just know now that you're not interested in an honest discussion an exchange of ideas, but just tearing down people that have had difference experiences than you.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Ugh, I have offered data, just not my own personal set. I've offered my testimony -- that is data. It's just as reliable data as a food diary as I could have manufactured that as well. I just know now that you're not interested in an honest discussion an exchange of ideas, but just tearing down people that have had difference experiences than you.

If you offered data, I missed it.

I requested that you provide some data or evidence that two sets of people without a diagnosed eating disorder showed clinically different weight loss results on isocaloric diets. You responded that you know of no such data.

I requested that you provide the data that shows to us that you were eating a 700+ calorie daily deficit without losing weight, then switched to Primal and started losing weight. You responded that you cannot provide such data.

"My personal testimony" is not data.

I'm not tearing down people, I'm tearing down poor arguments that cannot be substantiated or supported with data.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Cavemen also drank untreated water, and hunted for their food daily, sucked marrow out of bones, and scavenged when they had to......................................................I'm betting no paleo person on here does that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Wow. And you're supposed to be a personal/fitness trainer. This may be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in a while. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nutritional plan WHATSOEVER. Way to be bring asinine to the party.
    Ninerbuff doesn't need to prove anything to nayone and so far your contributions are meh. lol

No one needs to prove anything. I'm just asking for logical statements. Disagree all you want. But saying something totally nonsensical is stupid. Tomatoes are red. True, but who cares?

And I'm sure Ninerbuff is a big boy and can fight his own battles if he chooses to do so.

what did he say that was illogical?

He simply pointed out that a "paleo lifestyle" should involve all aspects of how said paleo people lived. Are you saying that cavemen drank treated water or had Aquafina?
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Cavemen also drank untreated water, and hunted for their food daily, sucked marrow out of bones, and scavenged when they had to......................................................I'm betting no paleo person on here does that.

IDEA Fitness member

My husband hunts in the appropriate seasons, and we drink well water.....but no, I haven't scavenged or sucked marrow...yet! :wink:
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Ugh, I have offered data, just not my own personal set. I've offered my testimony -- that is data, jerkoff. It's just as reliable data as a food diary as I could have manufactured that as well. I just know now that you're not interested in an honest discussion an exchange of ideas, but just tearing down people that have had difference experiences than you. You don't happen to be my brother -- is that you, Matt?

If you offered data, I missed it.

I requested that you provide some data or evidence that two sets of people without a diagnosed eating disorder showed clinically different weight loss results on isocaloric diets. You responded that you know of no such data.

I requested that you provide the data that shows to us that you were eating a 700+ calorie daily deficit without losing weight, then switched to Primal and started losing weight. You responded that you cannot provide such data.

"My personal testimony" is not data.

I'm not tearing down people, I'm tearing down poor arguments that cannot be substantiated or supported with data.

Personal testimony is data. I told you that it was a 700+ daily deficit as an average -- that's data. Showing you further underlying data supporting that is not necessary unless you don't believe it. Proving something or providing supporting information is different than providing data.

It's just totally stupid in this case because if you don't believe the assertion that I had that deficit, why would you believe the underlying food journal entries? They could be faked just as easily.

Once again, there isn't really much point to this discussion when you're coming from such a premise. I'll leave you to the others.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I told you that it was a 700+ daily deficit as an average -- that's data. Showing you further underlying data supporting that is not necessary unless you don't believe it.

Let me make it clear: I do not believe that you were eating an average 700+ calorie daily deficit and not losing weight. Many people have made such claims and to date I have seen not a single one that substantiated the claim by offering their personal data.

This is your golden opportunity to provide your personal data substantiating the claim and making me look like a total buffoon. Your move.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Wow. And you're supposed to be a personal/fitness trainer. This may be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in a while. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the nutritional plan WHATSOEVER. Way to be bring asinine to the party.
    Ninerbuff doesn't need to prove anything to nayone and so far your contributions are meh. lol

No one needs to prove anything. I'm just asking for logical statements. Disagree all you want. But saying something totally nonsensical is stupid. Tomatoes are red. True, but who cares?

And I'm sure Ninerbuff is a big boy and can fight his own battles if he chooses to do so.

He simply pointed out that a "paleo lifestyle" should involve all aspects of how said paleo people lived. Are you saying that cavemen drank treated water or had Aquafina?

C'mon. Seriously? Do you take everything in your life so literally?

Do you think the Paleo/Primal diet really means do everything a caveman did? Really? That's just intellectually dishonest, unless you have some condition like Aspergers where you can't differentiate between the two.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The real question is, what did our ancient Annunaki overloads feed our ancestors.

aliens-meme.jpeg
    *sigh*

I used to love the History Channel. And somewhere between when I stopped getting it and started again, this happened.

LOL I actually like "ancient aliens" but I have always liked weird *kitten* sci fi kind of stuff ....the dork in me I suppose...
  • slimjaques
    slimjaques Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Probably too new to even offer an opinion - but I know it is working. My daughter, husband and I started the 30-day challenge 16 days ago and have lost a combined 22 pounds. For me, I was having a lot of difficulty losing weight using the same approach I had used the rest of my life.

The big differences:
    No processed anything - no chemicals, sugar, preservatives, immense salt, etc.
    No alcohol - yep, I was probably having wine too many nights
    No grains - Persuasive info on how modern grains muck up your system
    No dairy - I was pretty sad about giving up cheese - but I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would
    No legumes - I'm fine doing this temporarily - but would like to fit lentils and a few other beans back in over time

Lots of beautiful vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds, almond milk, almond butter, meats and eggs. Never hungry. Working out hard also.

Not interested in what cavemen ate, how long they lived, etc. :-)
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I told you that it was a 700+ daily deficit as an average -- that's data. Showing you further underlying data supporting that is not necessary unless you don't believe it.

Let me make it clear: I do not believe that you were eating an average 700+ calorie daily deficit and not losing weight.

That's at least honest. Believe it or not. I lived it, so I know it to be true. Talk to others that have hypothyroid or insulin resistance issues and you'll find it to be pretty darn common. In fact, you'll far more extreme examples than just 700+ average daily calorie deficit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The real question is, what did our ancient Annunaki overloads feed our ancestors.

aliens-meme.jpeg
    *sigh*

I used to love the History Channel. And somewhere between when I stopped getting it and started again, this happened.

LOL I actually like "ancient aliens" but I have always liked weird *kitten* sci fi kind of stuff ....the dork in me I suppose...
    But ... it isn't HISTORY. lol Put it on the Sy-Fy channel, ya know?
  • ndj1979
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

C'mon. Seriously? Do you take everything in your life so literally?

Do you think the Paleo/Primal diet really means do everything a caveman did? Really? That's just intellectually dishonest, unless you have some condition like Aspergers where you can't differentiate between the two.

LOL now you are trying to acuse me of being mentally handicapped? When you resort to name calling it means you have lost the debate...

I simply pointed out that nothing he said was illogical...caveman drank untreated water = logical = true...

I believe the point is (I will let 49er speak for himself) is that maybe eating like a caveman did 100,000 years ago really does not matter...
  • ndj1979
    Options

aliens-meme.jpeg
    *sigh*

But ... it isn't HISTORY. lol Put it on the Sy-Fy channel, ya know?

I guess it is history in the sense that they are examining ancient cultures in search of some kind of alien connection...that is my take?