being undermined

Options
so, due to illness, and not wanting/feeling up to cooking, i am just slightly over my calories today. not a big deal here and there, given the circumstances, right?

so what does my mom do? stick ice cream in my face. thanks mom. oh yeah, she bought 2 boxes of mini doughnuts, and we still have chips in the house from my son's birthday party.

and SHE'S the diabetic.

how do you all handle people actively undermining you? very frustrated with her. my hubby is very supportive and encouraging, but he's not partially in charge of shopping and meals, there is only so much he can do, esp when he's at work and i'm here with her.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Just because she brought ice cream or doughnuts doesn't mean you're forced to eat them. She's not shoving them into your mouth. Just politely decline and move on with your day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    At age 33 you should be able to decide for yourself what foods go into your body.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    oh i told her no, but when she was diagnosed with diabetes and she threw away all her crap food and started eating better, i supported her. went out of my way to make a diabetic friendly birthday cake for her, since she was diagnosed right before her birthday. i just expected her to offer the same support that i showed her. i STILL encourage her to make healthy choices (which shes not doing mind you)
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live in my mother-in-law's house. She is also a diabetic... and struggling HARD with it. Still buying crappy food like chocolate and cakes and cookies. She still eats lots of carbs. Last night she made cordon bleu with pasta & sauce. She had plated everything for everyone to make it "fancy". I just quietly took my plate away to portion out the pasta I could eat. After measuring, it looked like she had put 3 servings of pasta down on each plate... nearly 600 calories worth of spaghetti alone. I pared it down to 200, and counted everything else (chicken, marinara sauce, and steamed vegetable side). She probably ate a 1000+ calorie dinner. I had around 600 total. And, I still had room in my budget for the cake she baked for dessert. One small piece with icing for around 250 calories.

My point is, you can eat the things that you are offered. But you get to chose how much, or if you eat it at all. If you feel like it will be rude to decline altogether (as it would be in my case), just serve yourself a smaller portion.

Edit: I'd also like to note that some diabetic people like to "live through others" in a sense. Right after my mother-in-law was diagnosed, she tried to cut out her sugars. During that 1-2 week period, she baked cakes & cookies every day and fed them to everyone else in the house and would watch us eat them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    how do you all handle people actively undermining you?

You're sick, the person who brought you into this world brings you comfort food, and you accuse her of "undermining" you?

Get a grip.

And really, you might want to think twice about demeaning your own mother on a public forum.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Is there really a mother who doesn't still offer her adult children food? It doesn't mean you have to eat it. I don't think "undermining" is the word for what is going on here.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Just because she brought ice cream or doughnuts doesn't mean you're forced to eat them. She's not shoving them into your mouth. Just politely decline and move on with your day.

This.
    At age 33 you should be able to decide for yourself what foods go into your body.

And this.

Undermining you? Wut?
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    how do you all handle people actively undermining you?

You're sick, the person who brought you into this world brings you comfort food, and you accuse her of "undermining" you?

Get a grip.

And really, you might want to think twice about demeaning your own mother on a public forum.

That's a bit harsh. Get down from your high horse and join the rest of us down here.
    Here is a thought.... Don't comment on posts if you don't like the content.

Anyway... I have the same problem with my nan except the cakes, crisps and sweets are usually backed up with negative comments about my past failures along the lines of it wont matter if I eat stuff now because I always fall off the wagon eventually.
    I just leave it where she puts it and don't eat it.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You need to take control of yourself. Tell her EXACTLY what she can do and not do.

Kind of a nice way to say grow up.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Wow.... you can send them my way, OP. I have no issue fitting those things into my day and being grateful for them.
  • NotorDJP
    Options
    My Dad is a "food pusher" too, even when he asks me if I've gained weight 5 mins before. You just have to say no. I know its hard if you have no will power, but you have to.

To the others that seem so sure of themselves, I'm glad you have have it all together and have no weaknesses. Wish I was you.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You have to look at this a different way. You're an adult with 3 kids and when you're not feeling well your mom is taking care of you?! What a huge blessing!! No one takes care of me when I'm sick unless I'm on death's door. I'm not entirely sure whether you're at your mom's house or she is at yours, but regardless, she's doing you a huge favour.

No one is undermining you. No one is doing anything TO you. Her only thoughts are probably that she wants to give you something yummy to eat. Like most people, she may be assuming you relax your diet rules when you're unwell.

No one will change a single thing they do because you want to lose some weight. Just because you put in place new rules for yourself, doesn't mean anyone else has to do anything differently at any time... in fact, since your weight loss goals are yours alone, so they probably won't even make changes if you ask. And I don't believe it's their responsibility to do so.

So if you want to change things and no one else around you does anything differently, you need to figure out how to exist within those parameters and achieve what you've set out to do. It may not be particularly encouraging, but no one anywhere wants to really "support" anyone's weight loss efforts by putting in their own. They want to keep living their lives how they always have.

You want the change; you make it happen. When someone else is caring for you, just be gracious, say "thank you" and have a smaller portion. Or say, "No, thank you." You always get the choice, though.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You simply don't eat it.

You're old enough to stop blaming things on your mother.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like "undermining". It just sounds to me like she makes unhealthy choices for herself and genuinely doesn't see what she's doing as being harmful to herself, so how can she possibly understand the effect it has on *you*?

Model healthy behaviour. Make good choices and stick to them, even in the face of ice cream and mini doughnuts. She might catch on. Or not. But either way, you are responsible for yourself, and accountable to yourself. Her choices are hers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If I don't want something I politely decline...something like, "no thanks" usually works just fine.

You're on a diet...other people are not...that's not "undermining" you. You'll have to get used to it if you really want to live a lifestyle that is fitness and nutrition centric...most people don't live that lifestyle, so you really have to know how to be your own person and do your own thing and not worry about what other people are doing or thinking.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    In the end, you still get to decide what you eat and what you don't. Temptation is always going to be around, it's up to you to either fit it into your goals, or avoid it.

Personally I fit some of it into my goals. Avoiding it for too long makes me a sad panda.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    She's your mom. Be point blank honest. No donuts or ice cream in this house. Thanks!

Also - you choose to eat that stuff. Just choose not to. It's hard when it's in your face, but you can say no. I've done it 1,000 times already. :)
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use to get mad about the sabotage too. But then I had to become bigger than the situation. I still got 3 cases of coke (given to me by a freneny) in my garage sitting in my garage and every time I walk past them I see them as my little trophies.
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well...that is a challenge. I am sure your mom meant well but I understand your feelings. Just say no thank you. Find something safe to eat or drink and then move on. While others can help you on your journey, you have to be determined. I understand that you can feel challenged and embattled, especially when you have to explain yourself. Just be kind, say no thank you and move on. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time frustrated Trust me....I've been there!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Politely say, "No thank you."

That was an easy question. Next!