Whole Foods: the Temple of Pseudoscience.

Options

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel the examples he offered are examples of pseudoscience or anti science then I'm not sure what to say.

such as?
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    If you don't feel the examples he offered are examples of pseudoscience or anti science then I'm not sure what to say.

God I forgot how good you are at deflecting and redirecting to avoid looking foolish. It's pretty impressive.

Point is, the author uses anecdotal evidence to substantiate the point he's trying to make with his article and doesn't use one lick of science or scientific evidence.

Essentially he's simply writing it for the benefit of people who already agree with him and don't need to be persuaded.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I liked the article. Good read, thanks for posting. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Giving examples of something a store sells to establish it sells those things is not "anecdotal evidence" or "pseudoscience" lol.
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I prefer the science of Half Foods.

Cut your food in half before you eat, and it is scientifically proven that (if cut correctly) it will only have half the calories.

That means you can eat twice as much! :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I don't know if we have Whole Foods in the UK any more, but there was a branch or store opening here a few years ago based basically on catering to the "organic food" crowd.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Giving examples of something a store sells to establish it sells those things is not "anecdotal evidence" or "pseudoscience" lol.

Have you literally already forgotten his biologist friend and her "expert opinion" on probiotics? good lord man you can be wrong every now and again. Really it's ok. You won't spontaneously combust I promise.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It's a business not your mama. They sell what is palatable to the masses. Lots of people don't concern themselves with the science behind nutrition, etc. They just want to buy stuff and WF has a lot of stuff.

I don't shop there because 1) It's too expensive for me and 2) I don't agree with the founder's politics.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    It's a business not your mama. They sell what is palatable to the masses. Lots of people don't concern themselves with the science behind nutrition, etc. They just want to buy stuff and WF has a lot of stuff.

I don't shop there because 1) It's too expensive for me and 2) I don't agree with the founder's politics.

This. And Monsanto.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

God I forgot how good you are at deflecting and redirecting to avoid looking foolish. It's pretty impressive.

Point is, the author uses anecdotal evidence to substantiate the point he's trying to make with his article and doesn't use one lick of science or scientific evidence.

Essentially he's simply writing it for the benefit of people who already agree with him and don't need to be persuaded.

So it's an opinion piece, not a research publication. I don't think OP was making any claims otherwise when he shared it.

But go ahead arguing for the sake of arguing
  • jonnythan
    Options

Have you literally already forgotten his biologist friend and her "expert opinion" on probiotics? good lord man you can be wrong every now and again. Really it's ok. You won't spontaneously combust I promise.

That's an anecdote. Are those banned now?

The place sells homeopathic remedies. That's not "anecdotal evidence" that fails under scrutiny. It establishes that the store sells pseudoscience.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I love Whole Foods, but not because I think their products do anything special for me. I just love some of their stuff. It has the best Baba Ghanoush I have ever eaten from a store. Yum! It is expensive though, so I only buy certain items there that are difficult to find in regular grocery stores.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Gets popcorn... this is gonna be good
  • jonnythan
    Options

I think I'm done with the anecdotal data thing. Maybe he can find another angle.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I prefer the science of Half Foods.

Cut your food in half before you eat, and it is scientifically proven that (if cut correctly) it will only have half the calories.

That means you can eat twice as much! :)

ROFL! Thanks!
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I think I'm done with the anecdotal data thing. Maybe he can find another angle.

agreed tbh.

the thread may have well have been titled "For People Who Don't Like Whole Foods: Another Person Doesn't Like Whole Foods Either!"

Anyway, Whole Foods does suck, but not for the pseudoscience reason.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How do you feel about homeopathy, Reddy?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I love going to whole foods, they have a great selection of micro brews, and also to laugh at the hipsters. So entertaining. But I buy my groceries at Kroger I guess I will just burn in hell for that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "Anecdotal evidence" is the new sugar.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Great article! And I just thought they were overpriced haha.