40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Friday check in. Uuuuggghhh...I'm really not concentrating on diet or exercise this week. I'm just trying to get through in one piece. Hopefully today will not be too stressful. Only 36 more hours before I can exhale again, and yes, dear Alf, I WILL have that well deserved glass of wine! BTW Alf, we are planning to go to Disney the 1st week of May!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    singfree, I hope you enjoy that glass of wine tomorrow night! :drinker: Like you said, it is well deserved.

alf, I'm sorry about the foot pain. I've had plantar fasciitis, but that wasn't anything like the symptoms you've got. Hopefully you'll get some answers next week. I've never heard of getting MRI results in the mail. I've seen some of my MRIs and I wouldn't have a clue what I was looking at. So I'm glad you've got an appointment and, hopefully, you'll get some help. :flowerforyou:

Friday check-in....this week FLEW by. But the good news is my eating has been better this week. It isn't perfect by a long shot, but it is an improvement over what it has been over the past number of weeks. My workouts this week have been really good and intense. I've got one more week of this undulating periodization rotation I've been doing using Cathe's STS. I made up a new rotation for the six weeks after I finish, and I think I'm going to focus more on endurance strength training than lifting heavy weights. Hopefully that will get me through the holidays with some good intense fat-burning workouts, which I think I'm going to need.

No big plans for the weekend. We have a Christmas party tomorrow afternoon, and we might try to go see some Christmas exhibits along the water tomorrow night. Other than that.....we'll see what the days bring I suppose.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just a check in...not a lot to report. It was a slow start but I am back on track with exercise and pretty good with eating. I haven't been craving anything decadent lately, which is good, but I have been doing a lot of recipe cooking (as opposed to just grilling or baking) this week for dinner: homemade chicken soup and meat/veggie/black bean chili and potato pancakes. All are good and wholesome but even with the recipe calculator tool on this site I'm a little skeptical about the accuracy of calories I'm logging for these. Who really knows how many servings of soup are in a big pot? Or how big that potato really is? Anyway, I know it could be worse. I haven't touched ice cream or chocolate or cookies....

Tomorrow night I'm crossing my fingers for good weather. Hubby and I are going up to Burlington VT for a Vermont Symphony concert. It should be fun. Classical isn't really my thing but my husband loves it so this was his anniversary gift from me. Our friend is staying the night with our son so we have the whole night off.

Alf--I'm sorry about all the aches and pains. Good luck Tuesday at your appointment and keep us posted.

Sing- good luck toughing out the audit. Bummer that it's taking up the weekend!

Stiring --it's always inspiring to hear the variety of different workouts you do. It sounds like you truly love trying new things and embrace exercise as a part of your life. I hope one day I get like that. Right now it's really a chore and I have had some relatively bad thoughts about the future of exercise in my life. For example, this is what has been going through my head: "Why am I going to have to exercise 5-6 hours a week for the next 40 years????? UGH! It doesn't seem fair!" Most of the time I'm good with it but every once in awhile you just wish it wasn't so.........:frown:

Have a great day and weekend everyone!
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    looky looky looky at my ticker!!!

I am officially 50 pounds lighter than I was in January!

Yeah me !
  • pepper06
    Options
    hello everyone! Happy Belated Thanksgiving-you guys were in my thoughts, but I just could not find the time to log on...some weeks are like that.
    I thought of Kad having a a very warm Thanksgiving!
    We went to NH where we were suppose to eat around 1, but ended up being 4:30! We were all starving by then(2 18lb turkeys, so she misjudged the cooking time). The guys were ready for pizza. We then drove onto ME and returned Sun evening-I brought the carcus home from my inlaws and made the turkey soup immediatly-it was delicious!!:wink: sent some bk to college w/dau,had some that evening and put a container in the freezer.
    I forgot to weigh in today went to Christmas party last night wehre I was pretty good. The had a live topiary-a lady all in gold swaying in a planter for 2.5 hrs-never saw anything like it-beautiful!:smile:
    The good news is since my husband is not working.....he did join the gym and has lost 20lbs(I hate how men can loose so quickly), and is being more careful about his food. He now goes to the gym on his own and works out for 2-3 hrs. He looks better all ready.
    Can you believe Christmas is coming??????? I thought we just took the decorations down..:indifferent:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Just popping back in to give a HUGE CONGATULATIONS to JuliaSoCal!!!! :drinker: You are amazing!! You really stuck with it, and you've done it!!!! I hope you are immensely proud of yourself! You should be. :flowerforyou:

pepper, so good to hear from you again. Sounds like you had an interesting but good Thanksgiving. I'm really happy to hear your husband is taking care of himself during this time he isn't working. That's so much better than sitting on the sofa and feeling sorry for himself. Yes, it is very hard to believe it is Christmas again.

kadetr, thank you for the compliment. I know I've written this before, but I have my daily motivation for working out (get into a pair of jeans, look good in a dress, be thin for a trip, etc). And I have my long-term inspiration for working....and that is, in all honesty, my mother. I love my mother, but she hasn't taken great care of herself. And I don't want to be barely able to walk when I'm 80. I don't want to hurt so badly from a sedentary life that I'm unhappy all of the time. I want to be able to go until the day I die. If my husband had a choice, he would die playing golf. If I had a choice, I'd die walking on a mountain trail. Both of these require some form of activity, and since neither one of us wants to die young, that means we want to stay active for as long as we can. What I don't want (if I can avoid it) is to die lying on a bed unable to move (again, if I can avoid it) So I don't look at it like 'Am I going to have to exercise for the next 40 years?' I look at it like 'I want to be able to exercise for the next 40 years'. That may not be working out the way I am now (in fact, I have no doubt it won't be), but I want to at least be able to walk 40 years from now with as much strength and confidence as I can (and not gasping for breath). So, for me, my short-term motivation for working out is about my weight and such. But my long term inspiration is all about staying as young and healthy as I can for as long as I can. Anyhow, just thought I'd share that as some food for thought......

Again I hope you all have a great weekend. And, again, congratulations on meeting your goal, JuliaSoCal!!! So happy you have been sharing your journey with us because you are quite an inspiration.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sing... My gosh I hope your job slows down a bit. You have been so busy there with the sick co workers and everything else that has been going on. How are the dizzy spells? Gone for good?

Stiring... I'm so happy that you like DC. And yes, thank goodness your back in the states. I hope whats happening in Korea Right now doesn't get too out of hand.

Alf... My daughter made it to Louisiana last night. But I will tell her about the Sea World thing just in case. How long is that going on for? I hope they have good deals for Disneyland like that because if they do then I'll be making her purchase tickets for me. Haha! I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Have you ever heard of the power balance bracelet? I have one and let me tell you the shoulder pain I had went away once I started wearing it. I thought it was coincidence but when I took it off the pain came back. Now I wear it 24/7.

Julia... Congratulations! You are doing a great job!

As for me we finally got the rental done and the new renter moved in on the 1st. We still have 1 more to do in Nevada but that can wait for a while. Last Monday while we were in Nevada my son called around 1am wanting help because his friend got sick all over my carpet and he needed to clean it up. While I was talking to him something went into my eye. I thought I got it out but the next morning I still felt it. Throughout the day my eye went from hurting to getting mucous in it. Then started to turn red and ultimately swell. It was also gushing mucous and watering like crazy. The next morning my eye was almost swollen shut. The doc said that whatever it was had bacteria on it and now my eye was infected. Gave me drops. Well the infection spread to the other eye, probably from me touching it plus I woke up sick this morning. Geesh! What a week!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Stiring--thanks for your words...I'm with you all the way on short term and long term goals!

By the way, on the same subject, I heard the OnPoint radio on NPR on the way back from town today and thought you'd want to listen if you didn't catch it. Talking to a 91 year old woman, an athlete, and what makes her able to do what she does.........very inspiring. This will be us in a few decades!

http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/12/science-aging
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Friday check in..........hello all!!!

First of all, let me say CONGRATS to JuliaSoCal............losing 50 pounds is an amazing accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a long and busy week for me, but not too stressful. We're supposed to get cold weather starting tomorrow and I really wanted to enjoy the mid 50's yesterday, so I took off work a couple of hours early yesterday afternoon to do some Christmas shopping :happy: Didn't get a lot bought, but really enjoyed the warm afternoon :laugh: I think that most of my remaining shopping will be via internet..........love shopping at 10:30pm in my sweats in the recliner!!:wink:

Back/shoulders/neck still are pretty tender, but I'm not hurting near as much as I was for most of November. I'm down to once a week visits to the chiropractor and hope to taper them off to every 2-3 weeks by the end of December, depending on how the recovery goes. It's really frustrating for me, because there's no "medical condition or injury" cause for the muscle spasms that cause the vertebrae to move out of alignment and cause the pain. They seem to have a mind of their own as to when they start, and then there's nothing much I can do until I can see the chiropractor to realign everything. Massaging heating pads help, but of course they don't move the vertebrae back where they belong........:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: . So, my workouts are very limited for upper back, shoulders and arms, but I'm not getting discouraged............ I know I have to heal decently before I can resume full workouts.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Well, folks, this is it. In 2 hours (7 am) we begin the the torture called year-end inventory. We have neary 3 million lbs of product to check, which is spread out over many different categories. Worst of all, everything is stored in unheated buildings, and it's below freezing right now! The process should take 5-6 hours.

I'm very glad to see everyone checking in regularly and haveing such great success, esp. Julia!!!

Tron, my dizziness is limited to occasionally getting a rush of dizziness when I come into a bright room from a dark room. When I walk to the kitchen (bright halogen lights) from a darkened living room, I get an short but intense rush of dizziness. I got dizzy the other day, but that was from not eating.

Stiring, you are welcome to come up and hike any of our beautiful trails anytime! BTW, we will be in your neck of the woods on Dec. 31-Jan. 1. We are visiting our friends in Arlington, VA (weather permitting).

Have a wonderful weekend!
  • SlimLittleMrs
    Options
    Hey everyone, I hope you are all doing well and it looks like you are - congratulations!! I'm on day 4 of my Slim in Six program (but today is a rest day for me) - so far so good, it's tough, but not too tough - at least I can make it through with a couple of small rests here and there.

I wish you all a wonderful day, take care,
    Sandy :)
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    SO COLD IN NEPA
    19.69 miles completed this week. Gonna make 100 by Jan 1st
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

I survived the weekend of work, YAY!!!! Now I need to concentrate on exercise and healthy eating. I leave on Friday morning for CA to help my BIL move to Utah. Since I will be doing a ton of lifting via loading a large U-Haul truck, I want to get some good strength training in at least a few days this week. My game plan is to eat a bit more protein and limit "bad" carbs, that is, junk food carbs & sugars and eat more veg and whole grain foods. I will try to jump start the fat burning with a few Insanity workouts and a bit of stretching.

My sleeping is still not great. This is a combination of stress from work and the lasting effects of my concussion. Hopefully I can reduce the amount of stress here at work, since the audit is over, but I still need to deal with the concussion. My neurologist said that this could take a very long time to heal completely.

I'm really trying to focus on the wonderful blessings of my life: Family, friends and health. Even though I have little time and desire to harbor negatives, they always seem to work their way into my mind. Wierd, but all too real. Sorry, this is getting way too deep!! On the bright side, we (my wife while I was a work on Sat.) decorated our Christmas tree. It looks and smells great in the house and I just love having the fireplace burning while I happily gaze at our little green gem. Yesterday afternoon we had a service of "Lessons and Carols" at our Church. I love the readings which describe the events leading up to the very first Christmas. It tends to put everything into perspective, and I need that right now!

I hope that everyone has a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi all! Not much time to check-in because I'm headed down to the Pentagon for a meeting. But I didn't want the day to go by without saying 'hi'. So....'hi'! :flowerforyou: We had a good weekend here. We had our first (and only) Christmas Party on Saturday afternoon which I thought was a strange time for an office Christmas party....but it was fun. We were able to meet up with old friends we've gotten to know at various places we've been stationed, so that was nice. Yesterday I tried to do some more shopping. It was busy, but I think I'm done (I hope!). I got a great workout in yesterday but my eating this weekend wasn't the best. It's that time of year I suppose.

Sandypants, good job with the Slim in Six program. I've heard great things about that program.

mkwood, glad you hear you are continuing to feel a little better. I hope the trend continues.

singfree, glad you survived the audit. I hear you about negative thoughts seeping into your brain because I fight the same thing all too often. This time of year makes me unusually reflective, and sometimes I tend to focus on all of the good memories of my past and not on the good things that are going on right now. It is something I'm working very hard at fighting this year. Hopefully if you get a chance to get back into your fitness routine and some of the stress from work leaves you, you will start feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Off to do my workout before running for a bus to catch the metro downtown. It's going to be a cold wait for the bus today!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Hope your all doing well. Its a beautiful day here in Northern California!

On Sunday my son and 3 of his friends cooked us breakfast. French toast, eggs, bacon, hash browns. I was sick so I nibbled on a french toast and 1 piece of bacon. I just wish they cleaned up the HUGE mess they left! Darn boys!

Today my daughter found out her husband is getting deployed in January. She just gets to Louisiana and before she finds out about her housing she gets hit with this news. Needless to say she's not a happy camper right now.

Today I am gonna try to do non stop cleaning on my house. Its such a mess and I would like to get it done so that I can enjoy the week without looking at the mess. Plus I hate working out when all's I can think about is.... I need to be over there going through that big pile of paperwork.
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all! Been so busy it is hard to get time to check in. I pickled almost two gallons of peppers yesterday and we got the tree up. It took my husband and I about thirty minutes of sawing the make a fresh cut on the tree. Next year, we'll have Lowe's cut the end! Take care all! TxMs
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Wow! It's a winter wonderland outside! We are getting snow squalls that formed over the Great Lakes and continued several hundred miles into PA. When I got to work, there was nothing! On radar it's very long but thin bands of snow, so a few miles could make a huge difference. I checked the long range forecast on Accuweather.com for all of the cities I'm flying to later this week. Everything looks good. On Friday I am changing planes in Denver, and on Tuesday in Chicago. There is a chance of some snow in the Northeast on Sunday and Monday. Since I won't get back to Philly until Tuesday afternoon, I should be ok. I will DEFINITELY take the Subaru to the airport just in case.

Stiring, I'm ok with only one Christmas party. Too many are not good for my waistline. A few drinks and I eat everything in sight! On Friday, Dec. 17 we are going to the German Evergreen Club. There is an Austrian-American named Walt Groller who entertains with accordian music. Sounds corny, but it really reminds me of the good times we had in the old country. Our last time there we sat at a table with a few other couples. The husbands were Americans and the wives were Germans that they married while they were in the service. It was great to be able to talk about the wonderful places we visit with people who actually lived there!

Now that inventory in in the rear view mirror, I can concentrate on my trip at the end of the week. I'm flying on Southwest where bags fly free (that's why I chose them...a small protest), even though I'm taking only one carryon bag, a good book and my ipod touch. I'm holding off to buy a new phone, because Verizon is coming out with the iphone soon...can't wait! I just think that apple products are simply the best around. I don't <<really>> need a smartphone, but I'm a sucker for gadgets. My posting will be on the sporatic side over the weekend. If I can find a place with free wifi, I can post from my ipod.

I'm hoping to get to the gym today. I need a few good workouts before I go to CA. Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

tron, I'm sorry to hear about your son-in-law. Are they going to have housing on post there? If not, is your daughter considering coming back home? This has got to be a tough time for them (and you), and she has my full sympathy. Hope you're feeling better.

TxMs, happy to see you! Glad you got your tree up.

singfree, sorry to hear about the snow. We don't have any of that....just colder air and lots of wind. I can't complain because, to me, it isn't THAT cold (though if you listened to the news, you'd think we were in an artic freeze). It was pretty windy yesterday, though. I actually had a hard time standing upright when I was waiting for the bus! Guess I'm glad I put back on a few pounds to help keep me anchored. :laugh: Hope your trip to California goes well. To me, the German Evergreen Club event sounds perfect. I really miss Germany this time of year. Of course this wasn't helped this year because I got an email from the little hotel in Switzerland where we spent quite a few Christmases asking us to come back. Of course, that's not possible right now, but I can't get the image of being there out of my head. Oh, well. :ohwell:

Yesterday was a good but busy day down at the Pentagon. My eating was off-the-charts bad....for no reason whatsoever. But I guess some days are just like that. Today I did Cathe Friedrich's new workout called 'Intensity', and that felt really good after all that bad eating yesterday. Later I'm going to do a lower body workout. Hopefully my eating will be better today. Well....I'm not sure it could be worse than yesterday so.....:blushing:

Hope you all have a good day.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Just checking in before my last round of Chemo on Thursday. I will probably be out of commission again for at least a week or 10 days. I will be thinking of you all. Especially Sing in the warm southwest. Bitter cold here in Michigan although we've been lucky so far on the snow front. Only a couple of inches which is great because I have a teenager driving this winter so I'm hoping for below average snowfall.

Enjoy all your Holiday gatherings.
  • singfree
    Options
    Duffy, all of my best wishes and prayers are with you as you begin Chemo 4. You are terrific and inspire me greatly!

Stiring, the "anchor" weight...hmmmm...:laugh: Don't forget about next summer at the Evergreen, as they have the outdoor Biergarten mit Musik jeden Freitag um 18 Uhr!!!