Whole Foods: the Temple of Pseudoscience.

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Not all customers are shopping at Whole Foods because of it's pseudo-scientific claims.

I shop at Whole Foods all the time because it's the only grocery store around here with a produce, cheese and meat section that doesn't suck. Once the farms open for the summer, it's a different story.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Can you give an example of a food that has a claim on it not substantiated by science?

The multigrain bread label would have included the ingredient list, likely the first one would have been white flour.

Homeopathic products include ingredient lists. What's the difference? If it doesn't have to say 90% white flour, what difference does it make?

Off the top of my head, no, can't give you a food claim that is not substantiated by science as I stopped paying attention to claims and advertising a long time ago. Given a little time, I'm sure I could come up with all sorts of misleading statements on food products. As you said, the FDA will tell the worst offenders to remove some of their statements. But only those that are in overt violation. Implication is everything.

And when someone on here posts an article about super palatable foods, they are attacked as wanting to surrender all personal responsibility to someone else and live in a nanny state. Food labels can say "Can be part of a healthy diet" and all sins are forgiven because it's up to the consumer to know what a healthy diet is. Read this:

When you said you "completely disagreed" I thought you would have a specific example. But apparently you don't look for claims and advertising anymore?

Packaged food has an ingredient list, a nutrition label, and unless you can come up with an example, I still don't think that they put false health claims on the label.

Edit to add, I saw your Cheerio example.

Oats have been shown to reduce risk of heart disease.
    And, I think there be studies that show hugs might also reduce risk of heart attacks.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And selling that product makes you a mystical drug pusher's holy pilgrimage site.

Statements like this make it difficult to have this conversation with you. It's clear - and has been explicitly stated to you over and over - that it's not simply selling homeopathic products that differentiates Whole Foods from, say, Shop Rite.

Your use of language such as this makes me want to simply not respond to you. You're not an argumentative troll like some others, so having to respond to this sort of sentence just makes me.. tired. If you want to engage on an honest intellectual level I am happy to do so, but I am becoming increasingly convinced you are less interested in understanding and honest debate than simply winning.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    And selling that product makes you a mystical drug pusher's holy pilgrimage site.

Statements like this make it difficult to have this conversation with you. It's clear - and has been explicitly stated to you over and over - that it's not simply selling homeopathic products that differentiates Whole Foods from, say, Shop Rite.

Your use of language such as this makes me want to simply not respond to you. You're not an argumentative troll like some others, so having to respond to this sort of sentence just makes me.. tired. If you want to engage on an honest intellectual level I am happy to do so, but I am becoming increasingly convinced you are less interested in understanding and honest debate than simply winning.

whoa. most ironic post i've ever seen.

that said, in this thread the only difference YOU'VE pointed out between WF and Shop Rite is that one promotes that it offers higher quality foods and is a "health" store right?

Again I ask, why is this directed at Whole Foods then and not health stores in general? What's your beef?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Again I ask, why is this directed at Whole Foods then and not health stores in general? What's your beef?

Because Whole Foods is a large national brand with stores all over the country.

Also, because this article is about Whole Foods. Maybe you should ask the article writer picked out Whole Foods instead of other health stores in general. I suspect it's the same reason McDonald's is often singled out instead of fast food restaurants in general: because they're the biggest and have the most market and mindshare.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

When you said you "completely disagreed" I thought you would have a specific example. But apparently you don't look for claims and advertising anymore?

Packaged food has an ingredient list, a nutrition label, and unless you can come up with an example, I still don't think that they put false health claims on the label.

Edit to add, I saw your Cheerio example.

Oats have been shown to reduce risk of heart disease.

I know oats have been shown to reduce risk of heart disease. So why doesn't Cheerios state "Will reduce the risk of heart disease?" For the same reason homeopathic medicines can't say "Will cure menstrual cramps."

I'll pick on a product I like.
    Wonderful pomegranates provide a number of important nutrients including vitamin K, potassium and a variety of pomegranate polyphenols, making them an important part of a healthy and balanced diet.

That's from POM, another company that got into some trouble for making dubious health claims. (That's the thing, they may get in trouble, but they are allowed to hit the shelves and get the word out there, and the consequence is often minimal. The regulation isn't that great until someone complains.) They're not really saying anything untrue there. Can pomegranates be a part of a healthy and balanced diet? Sure. Are they really "important?" I never had anything with pomegranate until adulthood. I consider them treat items because of the cost. They are not necessary for me to have a healthy or balanced diet.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Well, I think this bone has been chewed to death and should be quietly buried.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

It's been explicitly stated to me, but I clearly haven't been sold. You can tell me anything you want, but that doesn't mean you've proven it. You haven't convinced me.

My use of language such as this is directly tied to the language in the thread title, so I'm glad that you noted my hyperbole. That was a healthy chunk of my point.

I won't be offended if you don't want to respond to me. I have ended conversations with you that I felt weren't worth continuing for the same reasons you suggest toward me. On this one, I don't think there is any "winning" because it's an opinion piece more than anything. You can think Whole Foods is a temple to pseudoscience. I can think Pizza Hut is a temple to the science of exploiting people's biology through science. Both are legal.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

It's been explicitly stated to me, but I clearly haven't been sold. You can tell me anything you want, but that doesn't mean you've proven it. You haven't convinced me.

My use of language such as this is directly tied to the language in the thread title, so I'm glad that you noted my hyperbole. That was a healthy chunk of my point.

I won't be offended if you don't want to respond to me. I have ended conversations with you that I felt weren't worth continuing for the same reasons you suggest toward me. On this one, I don't think there is any "winning" because it's an opinion piece more than anything. You can think Whole Foods is a temple to pseudoscience. I can think Pizza Hut is a temple to the science of exploiting people's biology through science. Both are legal.

drop the mic
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Oh, I don't know.

I think spurious health claims abound and it's good to discuss the deceptive, unethical or plain misguided practices that many companies use (yes, I am looking at WF here as well) to increase their profits and market share.

"May help reduce cholesterol as part of a balanced diet" (rather than just a balanced diet in itself), "half the saturated fat of ordinary yogurt" (lets not mention the huge amounts of sugar) etc.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Oh, I don't know.

I think spurious health claims abound and it's good to discuss the deceptive, unethical or plain misguided practices that many companies use (yes, I am looking at WF here as well) to increase their profits and market share.

"May help reduce cholesterol as part of a balanced diet" (rather than just a balanced diet in itself), "half the saturated fat of ordinary yogurt" (lets not mention the huge amounts of sugar) etc.

honestly anything that has to go out of its way to shout "I'M HEALTHY!" probably isn't...
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    A clarification on why I don't trust implications or claims on labels: yesterday, I saw a new juice in the produce section. The name of it something about Berries + Carrot. Well, I like many berries in juice form but not in whole form, and they are good for you, and yes, juice is a treat, but I like treats. I don't even remember how many ingredients in I stopped reading, but I know it was after the first ingredients were things like "Apple juice, grape juice." I then looked at some of the even more exotic and expensive sounding juices. Their first ingredients? Apple juice, grape juice, pineapple juice. I may as well go spend a lot less money for the same basic product. No, I don't trust labels.
  • msf74
    Options

Oh, I don't know.

honestly anything that has to go out of its way to shout "I'M HEALTHY!" probably isn't...

Yes, I think in many cases you are right.

I think it must be bewildering for many people to know if they are making valid choices towards their health given so much conflicting information or viewpoints out there.

I think that is an important theme of that article bearing the above in mind. People will place their trust in somewhere like WF to supply them items which are healthy rather than research all the science for themselves because in all honesty that would be exhausting. And where there is trust there is potential exploitation.

That is why we need open discussion and simpler nutrition frameworks in reality.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Oh, I don't know.

I think it's good to discuss the degree to which educated, relatively wealthy, and relatively left-leaning segments of society happily embrace pseudoscience and anti-science. I personally think Whole Foods embodies a lot of that: high prices, homeopathic products, featuring of products such as Master Cleanse with in-store demonstrations, warning signs that bread slicers are used for "conventional" bread, etc.

It's one thing to just sell homeopathic products. It's another to sell them while also having literal warning signs that bread slicers are used for non-organic bread in the aisle next to the Master Cleanse pitchman.

Whole Foods has built its brand and reputation on specifically appealing and pandering to this market.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    And where there is trust there is potential exploitation.

That is why we need open discussion and simpler nutrition frameworks in reality.

I agree, but that's why I don't think it's all that valuable to focus on individual businesses, if the labeling system is broken to begin with. The only thing I trust from a store is that the product they sell me is basically what it says it is. If a store sells poison advertised as milk, I have an issue with that. But I don't see it as realistic for stores to be the gatekeepers of truth when the products they sell don't have to be.
  • msf74
    Options

I think it's good to discuss the degree to which educated, relatively wealthy, and relatively left-leaning segments of society happily embrace pseudoscience and anti-science. I personally think Whole Foods embodies a lot of that: high prices, homeopathic products, featuring of products such as Master Cleanse with in-store demonstrations, warning signs that bread slicers are used for "conventional" bread, etc.

It's one thing to just sell homeopathic products. It's another to sell them while also having literal warning signs that bread slicers are used for non-organic bread in the aisle next to the Master Cleanse pitchman.

Whole Foods has built its brand and reputation on specifically appealing and pandering to this market.

And the question then becomes if educated, affluent people with access to good health information and services (a minority of people) fall for such nonsense then....

what hope for the rest of society?
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Oh, I don't know.

Yes, I think in many cases you are right.

I think it must be bewildering for many people to know if they are making valid choices towards their health given so much conflicting information or viewpoints out there.

I think that is an important theme of that article bearing the above in mind. People will place their trust in somewhere like WF to supply them items which are healthy rather than research all the science for themselves because in all honesty that would be exhausting. And where there is trust there is potential exploitation.

this I agree with wholeheartedly, but then I think that needs to be the premise of the discussion, not "Whole Foods is the Temple of Pseudoscience" because let's be real, EVERY major brand is a "temple of pseudoscience" as long as it will help them sell more products!

Again I just think the framing of this discussion is biased and has an agenda instead of actually talking about a legitimate concern that is prevalent amongst ALL marketing in food.
  • msf74
    Options
    And where there is trust there is potential exploitation.

I agree, but that's why I don't think it's all that valuable to focus on individual businesses, if the labeling system is broken to begin with. The only thing I trust from a store is that the product they sell me is basically what it says it is. If a store sells poison advertised as milk, I have an issue with that. But I don't see it as realistic for stores to be the gatekeepers of truth when the products they sell don't have to be.

And the case for "IIFYM" rests.

(Full disclosure: not something I use myself ;)

OK, this has been a really good discussion. Thanks to the OP for providing such a thought provoking topic. Now, i must go leap tall building in a single bound.)
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    They had me on that, too. :tongue: