Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• limequeen7
    Options
    Hello! I am kinda newnto this site. I have an interesting diet plan set up and am excited to start this new challenge. I need some motivation and help though. Thank you.
  • aplatt41
    aplatt41 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I already contacted a mentor! Yay :)
  • emilyfieldhouse
    Options
    Need to loose some fat. Very newbie, posted a few questions and still don't know where to start. Would be great if someone could help. Thank you
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Need to loose some fat. Very newbie, posted a few questions and still don't know where to start. Would be great if someone could help. Thank you

read these and then re-read them. follow the links and read those. this is all the foundation of the things you need to learn. you'll pick up the info more quickly than you think. it's a lot of common sense once you start to understand it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

here is a very concise and abbreviated introduction too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

In addition to the great links posted for you above, did you check back in on the thread where you asked for ideas for strength routines with minimal equipment? You got some helpful replies since you posted...
  • kelleyzo
    kelleyzo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been "heavy" my whole life - sometimes less, sometimes more. I am a female over 60 but still very much alive and kicking. I had been about 208-210 the past year and for medical reasons have decided I need to take it down a notch. I have lost about 10 pounds since the beginning of 2014 by changing how and what I am eating. I do not exercise currently, although I know I should. I would love to get to 150 lbs (size 12-14?) but in a healthy way - fat, not muscle loss. But my first goal is to make it to 190. It would be great to have a mentor to learn from and get encouragement from.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi. I have been "heavy" my whole life - sometimes less, sometimes more. I am a female over 60 but still very much alive and kicking. I had been about 208-210 the past year and for medical reasons have decided I need to take it down a notch. I have lost about 10 pounds since the beginning of 2014 by changing how and what I am eating. I do not exercise currently, although I know I should. I would love to get to 150 lbs (size 12-14?) but in a healthy way - fat, not muscle loss. But my first goal is to make it to 190. It would be great to have a mentor to learn from and get encouragement from.
    Welcome to the forums. I would highly suggest looking at some of the profiles and post in this forum. Once you find a person or two you prefer, please send them a private message to see if they have any openings available.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I already contacted a mentor! Yay :)

Yay, someone who read the instructions and followed through!

(Seriously...no sarcasm...well done and best of luck. Hope you find a great match.)

:drinker:
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    id be more than willing to help anyone that's really dedicated, i think i've learned alot about diet/lifting/cardio. I lift and do cardio every day and eat pretty clean.

I know how hard it is to start lifting when you start from knowing nothing so i'd be more than happy to discuss lifting routines and things i've found to be really beneficial. You can see my before/after in my profile to see where i started from to where i am currently.

i don't have remotely enough friends that lift or are as dedicated as i am so it'd really be doing me a favor ha.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I will put my hat in the ring to help a couple newbies

to give you a little background on me. when I was 17. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I was put on steroids and gained up to 370 pounds. with hard work and determination. I worked my way down to 163 and than I lost my dad to cancer in 2010 and gained back to 250. so I had to start again .I am now in the 160's over 200 pounds released again so I have experience in weight loss. I like to referring to it as releasing weight. I have released over 200 pounds on my own. so I can really relate with people on the ups and downs in their journeys because I have been there, I am 30 pounds from my weight goal of 135..I can relate with people on so many levels eating for comfort, yoyoing, regaining weight and having to restart.

health and wellness is my passion.. I am currently getting certified to be a health coach. I have a group on here for motivation.

I eat extremely healthy and exercise 6 days a week.I took control of my health and I want to help others do the same thing. I am gluten free, live a plant based lifestyle. its how i roll for health and ethical reasons.. i make all my own foods.

the thing is this is what works for me it may not work for you. so I want to help you find what works for you.. I will check your diary. and motivate you to live the walk.. not just talk about it.. you need to find something you can live with because this is a lifestyle change. its not a diet.

you have to be willing to choose change.. I can be there. motivate you and encourage you, but you have to put forth the effort,I will be there every step of the way.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I will be there to help you find them. I will share my experience and what I have learned along the way on my journey from a obese woman to getting healthy and fit,

. if you want me.. please send a message with your friend request stating you found me on this thread.

good luck everybody!
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'll gladly offer up any help I can provide to anyone.

I'm Amber. I'm 31 and live in The Middle of Nowhere, Alberta, Canada. My journey has been a long one and it's not over yet. I'm over halfway at this point. I started out at 322 and am currently at 233. I never thought I'd be a "runner", but it turns out, as I found out last summer, I actually am! Or at least I try to be. I love music and I absolutely must have it or I go squirrely. I'm extremely awkward and I don't care. My life for many years was straight off of one of those whacked out shows..actually a combo of hoarding, hillbillies, and marrying into a crazy family. I made the very wise decision two years ago (almost to the day) to leave the crazy stress behind and start new. My divorce was granted just a few months ago. Once I left it all behind, the overeating stopped and I began to feel like "me". I started finding confidence that I never had and just knew that I could do so much more with my life. Anything else ya wanna know, feel free to ask. Always willing to bring more friends aboard! :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi my name's Anna and I'd love to adopt a newbie.

I've struggled with disordered eating and fad diets since my teenage years. This led to a lot of loss of lean body mass.

After a long term breakup, I used running as an outlet, and through that discovered triathlon, sports nutrition, rediscovered weight training and am eating more than ever.

I've lost 10% body fat! gained lean body mass and am hoping to one day join the British Triathlon Team for my age group.

I advocate adequate protein, carbs and fats. I leave no food group out, but tend to eat nutrient dense food. I also believe in living so have lots of treats too! I am very positive, and am having more fun in my forties than any other decade. Instead of hiding myself away, I just want to show my body off at the first excuse. Now that is fun. I can teach you to teach yourself. All I ask us that you log truthfully everyday and you have a gym membership ideally.
  • IntegratedBodies
    IntegratedBodies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to be a mentor to the right person

About Me:
    My personal journey for health and fitness changed gears in 2012 while I was living between Los Angeles and NYC, completely run down and exhausted all the time. I started by completely revamping the food I was eating and then a year later I started lifting weights at the gym with my boyfriend. With the increased appetite from the weight lifting I realized rather quickly I needed to revisit my nutrition so it could better complement what I was gaining from the weight lifting, this adjustment lead me to deciding December 2013 to participate in my first Figure Competition this year.

I would love to mentor a lady in her 30's who is thinking about getting into weight lifting or is interested in trying to compete in Figure, maybe someone who doesn't have the support in her friends and/family. I myself am new to this but I've learned so much in the last 14 months I would really enjoy helping other ladies like myself.
  • Just1Trip
    Options
    I'm a noob again. I have been on before, and had an awesome support team. I am finding that at my age, what used to work for me, doesn't seem to have the same results. Does anyone have any advice for an on again off again, fun loving guy who not only needs to lose 10 lbs., but really wants to get lean again. I travel A LOT for work, and my schedule fluctuates often. I work 75 hours a week, 6 - 7 months a year, and I'll be honest, I don't eat the best. I'm currently trying to work off my bad choices and return to an active lifestyle outside of work. I promise to be a good noob and heed any advice I possibly can! ;)
  • downto50kg
    Options
    Hi :) I'm 20 this year. I want to lose weight and I need someone to force me to do so. My stats are 173cm, 56.5kg. I'm looking to go back to 53kg with more workouts and learning to binge less at home :(
    Currently I exercise a little twice a week, doing aikido. I would love to have someone to encourage me to be fit and lean!
    Adopt me please :D
  • Nuccia2012
    Nuccia2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hey, I'm Shannon, and I’d be happy to mentor a couple of newbies!

I've been on MFP for 550+ days straight. Since January 2012, I’ve lost a significant amount of weight by identifying and addressing the factors that drive my tendency to eat emotionally. I work every day to cultivate and maintain a healthy, realistic relationship with food (Got questions about all of this? Just ask!)

.I’ve recently updated my ticker to reflect my final weight loss goal, but honestly, I’m a happy girl as long as I am working toward being stronger/faster/better.

Stats: 5’ 7”, 173 lbs, size 6/8.

LT goals: Lower BF%, increased muscle tone, improved run time (currently 10 min/mile)

Fitness: I am a runner. In addition to running daily (for my sanity) I follow a strength and resistance training regimen in order to reconfigure my body/proportions.

Diary: Open to friends and *fairly* clean, with an emphasis on protein to protect/encourage lean muscle mass. I follow IIFYM, so expect to see ice cream, cookies, and general sugary crap mixed in with the healthy stuff. No food left behind!

I don’t have all of the answers, but if you have questions, I will respond promptly, honestly, and with a glorious absence of snarkiness. I don’t post a lot, but I value my MFP friends and make it a point to check in. If you ask me to evaluate your diary, I will do so honestly, but otherwise, don’t expect criticism from me on that front. My food motto is: everything in moderation, and ice cream whenever I damn well please.:laugh:

Final note: Nothing aggravates me more than reading endless requests to “Motivate Meeee plzzz!” If you’d like me to mentor you, I will happily provide encouragement, advice, etc., but please understand that no one is able to create your motivation for you. I know what works for and drives me. Ultimately, you’ll need to figure that part out for yourself, and then lean on your MFP community for support and guidance.

If you’re interested, send me a PM with your name, stats, and goals, and let’s do this.
  • rg3skins123
    Options
    Down 7 pounds since Sunday. I really like the routine. I drink a green smoothie for breakfast, big lunch (as healthy as possible) and then a green smoothie for Dinner. I absolutely recommend buying the Nutribullet. My Juicer has been retired to the the Garage for the next spring yard sale.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    List has been updated
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    bump