Should we eat man made/cooked, or all Natural?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Speaking of low body fat I also can't help but think that people reacted to my fitness levels, based on where they personally were, and felt I was trying to be better than everyone else.

No, people were reacting to smugness. Anytime someone who had a higher BF% or more weight to lose pointed out nonsense in what you posted, you made it a point to highlight that as if it was relevant.

People really aren't jealous of you.

Careful, you might get another body shaming message!!
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not going to eat raw meat. I eat raw fish now and again, but I'm not about to dig into some raw chicken or beef, so cooking is a yes for me.

Not to mention I actually have issues digesting raw veggies and fruits so if I couldn't cook those, I'd be pretty screwed as to what would be available for me to live on..which would be pretty much end up leaving only water :laugh:

I'm a big fan of sashimi. otherwise, uncooked meat? Don't think I could do that. the raw fruits and veggies suited me very well. I can't wait to get my blood results back to see what the impact of Raw Vegan was in Feb. It's a $1000 dollar test but very precise in detail. including testosterone levels.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    This statement resonates with me: Not saying it's true, but.... I think we could also replace the word "cook" with the word "make".

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

I'm not hating here, just wondering if there's something to this when you consider the sky rocketing obesity rates in our country. Maybe it's less about "self control issues" vs. the food supply? I'm not stating, just asking...

Yeah that's not a real Einstein quote. So drinking the kool-aid without finding your own sources seems to come naturally to you.
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    This statement resonates with me: Not saying it's true, but.... I think we could also replace the word "cook" with the word "make".

“Humans are the only species smart enough to cook (my addition "make") their food but dumb enough to eat it.” – Einstein

I'm not hating here, just wondering if there's something to this when you consider the sky rocketing obesity rates in our country. Maybe it's less about "self control issues" vs. the food supply? I'm not stating, just asking...

Yeah that's not a real Einstein quote. So drinking the kool-aid without finding your own sources seems to come naturally to you.

whether from Einstein or not, the concept in the quote is intriguing and that's more the point than the source which most (not all) actually understood and contributed to a healthy discussion rather than criticize, a trait which comes naturally to many as well. Look, we're all flawed in one way or the other. Yes? But the point of the thread has helped me garner much of the information I was looking for. Thanks MapleFlavoure.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    What I learned during this month when I tried the extreme 80/10/10 and last year when I tried the extreme Atkins diet (lost massive body fat on both diets), was that people watching me thought I was absolutely nuts (to the point of being extremely rude to me), with the exception of those who had made either a life style. They got very uncomfortable when my body fat was 8%. Some people even had the audacity to call my too skinny and felt it was acceptable to say so. Skinny shaming! The emotional reaction invoked opened my eyes to the fact that food goes way beyond nutrition for most and that, culturally, we are tied to our foods more than I ever realized. Example: When eating at my grandmother's house. If I don't finish what's on my plate, it's taken as impolite and a downright insult. It doesn't matter what was served Now we're talking emotional. That's only a small sample of how food is cultural. I don't want to make Grandma feel insulted.

Speaking of low body fat I also can't help but think that people reacted to my fitness levels, based on where they personally were, and felt I was trying to be better than everyone else. The only time I've tried to be better than anybody else, was in sports. Being fit, low in weight, and strong in power benefits my sport (bike racing). I have no shame what-so-ever in being extremely fit and competitive in sports. If others are uncomfortable with that, they have to get over it because that's just not my problem and I won't own it.
    My experience of people who follow restrictive diets is that they usually feel the need to bore everybody else with the details of their choices and why eating X is bad for you and will give you cancer/obesity/CVD/syphillis etc. They seem to be ignorant to the fact that they are shaming others who choose a more balanced approach. Maybe the lack of carbs or whatever causes them to lose their ability to sensor their evangelical approach to educating everyone around them (half joking).
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I love veggies. All the veggies. But I also love science. And brains.

MMMMMMM braaaaaiiinssss
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    What I learned during this month when I tried the extreme 80/10/10 and last year when I tried the extreme Atkins diet (lost massive body fat on both diets), was that people watching me thought I was absolutely nuts (to the point of being extremely rude to me), with the exception of those who had made either a life style. They got very uncomfortable when my body fat was 8%. Some people even had the audacity to call my too skinny and felt it was acceptable to say so. Skinny shaming! The emotional reaction invoked opened my eyes to the fact that food goes way beyond nutrition for most and that, culturally, we are tied to our foods more than I ever realized. Example: When eating at my grandmother's house. If I don't finish what's on my plate, it's taken as impolite and a downright insult. It doesn't matter what was served Now we're talking emotional. That's only a small sample of how food is cultural. I don't want to make Grandma feel insulted.

Speaking of low body fat I also can't help but think that people reacted to my fitness levels, based on where they personally were, and felt I was trying to be better than everyone else. The only time I've tried to be better than anybody else, was in sports. Being fit, low in weight, and strong in power benefits my sport (bike racing). I have no shame what-so-ever in being extremely fit and competitive in sports. If others are uncomfortable with that, they have to get over it because that's just not my problem and I won't own it.
    My experience of people who follow restrictive diets is that they usually feel the need to bore everybody else with the details of their choices and why eating X is bad for you and will give you cancer/obesity/CVD/syphillis etc. They seem to be ignorant to the fact that they are shaming others who choose a more balanced approach. Maybe the lack of carbs or whatever causes them to lose their ability to sensor their evangelical approach to educating everyone around them (half joking).

This is a very valid point! Thank you. I don't think I would have tried Adkins last year, or 80/10/10 without the evangelists. Very good point about extremism. Applies to religions as well.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

cooking dates back to the middle palaeolithic era. Middle palaeolithic people weren't obese. Nether were upper palaeolithic people. Or neolithic. Or bronze age. Or iron age. Or medieval people. Or people during the renaissance era. Or in the era after that. Or during WW1 and 2. Or during the 50s and 60s. All that time people have been cooking food, and very few (or none) were obese. Then, suddenly, in the present era, people are obese. Maybe, just maybe, it has more to do with innovations in technology that have made us incredibly lazy like cars to get around and electronic devices for entertainment, and food being more easily obtainable for wealthy westerners than it ever has been in the past.

Re self-control... people in the past didn't need to have so much self control, because they couldn't get such large quantities of food that people can get nowadays, and they had to do a lot more physical labour. I'm pretty sure that Homo erectus people had very little self control or any concept of portion control after a successful hunt, I'm sure they stuffed their faces with meat while they got the chance... but that was balanced out by how far they had to run to catch the meat and the days when they didn't manage to catch any animals at all and had to make do with just roots and berries and stuff. Ditto hard labour on farms or in mills during later eras. Or even just having to walk to the shops and going to all the various shops like butcher, baker, greengrocer, etc rather than it all being in one supermarket that you drive to, just 50 years ago.... I mean some people's definition of getting a bit of exercise is parking their car away from the entrance of the supermarket so they have to walk a little further (and nothing wrong with doing that, especially for people just starting out, but it hardly compares to the exercise people had to do in bygone eras).

it's not the type of food.... it's the availability of it plus technology that enables us to be sedentary.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

This is a very valid point! Thank you. I don't think I would have tried Adkins last year, or 80/10/10 without the evangelists. Very good point about extremism. Applies to religions as well.

It definitely applies to religions. I have a sign in my carport telling them not to come to my door, but they still come to try to save me. :laugh:
  • ernestbecker
    Options

cooking dates back to the middle palaeolithic era. Middle palaeolithic people weren't obese. Nether were upper palaeolithic people. Or neolithic. Or bronze age. Or iron age. Or medieval people. Or people during the renaissance era. Or in the era after that. Or during WW1 and 2. Or during the 50s and 60s. All that time people have been cooking food, and very few (or none) were obese. Then, suddenly, in the present era, people are obese. Maybe, just maybe, it has more to do with innovations in technology that have made us incredibly lazy like cars to get around and electronic devices for entertainment, and food being more easily obtainable for wealthy westerners than it ever has been in the past.

Re self-control... people in the past didn't need to have so much self control, because they couldn't get such large quantities of food that people can get nowadays, and they had to do a lot more physical labour. I'm pretty sure that Homo erectus people had very little self control or any concept of portion control after a successful hunt, I'm sure they stuffed their faces with meat while they got the chance... but that was balanced out by how far they had to run to catch the meat and the days when they didn't manage to catch any animals at all and had to make do with just roots and berries and stuff. Ditto hard labour on farms or in mills during later eras. Or even just having to walk to the shops and going to all the various shops like butcher, baker, greengrocer, etc rather than it all being in one supermarket that you drive to, just 50 years ago.... I mean some people's definition of getting a bit of exercise is parking their car away from the entrance of the supermarket so they have to walk a little further (and nothing wrong with doing that, especially for people just starting out, but it hardly compares to the exercise people had to do in bygone eras).

it's not the type of food.... it's the availability of it plus technology that enables us to be sedentary.

thoroughly impressed with the time spent, arrangement, and articulation of this post. Checked out your blog (following as well) and I know you're into the topic above. I'm curious what insights you may have regarding the supposed body types: Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph, and how they faired anciently under the type of physical activities described above vs. the sedentary life styles we have today. This is fascinating stuff now!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not going to eat raw meat. I eat raw fish now and again, but I'm not about to dig into some raw chicken or beef, so cooking is a yes for me.

Not to mention I actually have issues digesting raw veggies and fruits so if I couldn't cook those, I'd be pretty screwed as to what would be available for me to live on..which would pretty much end up leaving only water :laugh:

I've eaten chicken and horse sashimi, as well as several varieties of raw beef. I would not eat raw chicken in the US but what I've eaten was quite good. Healthier? Heck no. Just tasty.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

thoroughly impressed with the time spent, arrangement, and articulation of this post. Checked out your blog (following as well) and I know you're into the topic above. I'm curious what insights you may have regarding the supposed body types: Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph, and how they faired anciently under the type of physical activities described above vs. the sedentary life styles we have today. This is fascinating stuff now!

thanks for following my blog :)

re endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph they're not scientific terms and it's only a very rough visual classification of people

what there is, is a difference in robusticity... basically robust = thick skull, heavy brow, heavy jaw, and large frame (as in width of shoulders, rib cage, and size of muscles), robust = large framed/heavily built, in layman's terms. Palaeolithic humans were a lot more robust than modern humans. Homo sapiens is the most gracile (i.e. least robust) of all human species, and palaeolithic Homo sapiens were more robust than people today (evolution didn't stop when we invented farming, one change since then is that humans continued to become more gracile). If you're going to assign palaoelithic people to ecto, meso, endo types, most of them would be mesomorphs, and neanderthals maybe endo-mesomorphs on account of being shorter and relatively larger framed, but probably not in terms of fat storage, because they wouldn't have been obese. Homo sapiens would be ectomorph, being tall and more slender-framed than earlier species (although erectus and heidelbergensis were just as tall as sapiens (i.e. average adult male height approx 6 foot) ,but they were larger framed... neanderthals evolved to be shorter because that was advantageous in their environment, and they also had very large frames)

as for how humans of different degrees of robusticity fared... it's most likely that Homo sapiens was able to be less robust on account of having long range hunting weapons such as throwing spears, atlatls and bows and arrows. Middle palaeolithic humans hunted large animals with close range weapons. small framed men would not have survived. (and neanderthals had to contend with ice age winters, where people with the wrong body proportions were more likely to die of the cold, i.e. anyone who wasn't short, stocky and barrel-chested, because this is the best body type for conserving heat, i.e. surface area to volume ratio to limit heat loss) .....but with the invention of long range weapons, smaller framed people had an advantage, i.e. lower lean body mass for height = can survive on fewer calories, but they are still capable of being successful hunters as hunting relied much less on strength and much more on accuracy and the ability to make and use accurate long range weapons. Hence Homo sapiens evolving to be more gracile.

So anyway, the main point is that endo- ecto- meso- is not a scientific way to classify humans, the other main point is that most palaeolithic people were large framed, and frame size got smaller (i.e. robusticity decreased) as humans developed long range weapons, and even more after developing agriculture, due to less need to use brute strength to obtain food and lower lean body mass for height being advantageous for surviving on less food.

BTW the above re Homo sapiens is talking about averages, there's a lot of variation in height and frame size in modern humans, due to there being billions of us in very diverse environments all around the globe. "Racial" differences have evolved since Homo sapiens spread around the globe and also there are quite a few archaic genes knocking around the gene pool, so there are modern humans that are larger framed than average, as well as smaller framed than average.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Einstein...never said that...I'm about 99.9% sure he never said that...:huh: Einstein was a physicist not a chemist or nutritionist or biologist, so even if he did say that (which he didn't) it wouldn't matter. Now if he had said "calories in/calories out" that would make sense, because that's physics.

Thomas Edison (not a nutritionist): "The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease."

Your logic is flawed.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/quotes/futuredoctor.asp#RfkBpFrdQkKUhJUl.99
    Yeah I always take diet advice from my +30% bodyfat electrician, and take car repair advice from my plumber.
    you may have missed my point.
    He's not the only one. If you aren't arguing that lack of credentials in a specific discipline doesn't undermine your credibility compared to someone who does have credentials in that specific discipline, then I'm not sure what your aiming at, pilgrim. :tongue:
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    I know that the OP is a big advocate for a raw diet so I think that's where this topic comes from. I definitely know that cooking veggies and fruits does deprive them of some of their nutritional values, and I understand the benefits of a raw diet. There are "man-made" things that I love to eat however, and for me, I want to fit them into my diet. If I couldn't have wine, or some pasta, or pie.....well I just would not be a happy girl!

To be clear, me the OP isn't a big Advocate of the raw diet. I tried it for the month of February, as I did the Adkins diet last year. Me the OP is actually on a search for a long term diet life style and is currently open to ideas. Open minded. I never, ever, ever, tell people how to eat, train, or otherwise.

Dude, if you're going to DO a diet, you really should learn to spell it.

Also, just yesterday you posted a thread pushing the raw vegan diet ...

I wasn't pushing any diet. I had just ended a trial of Raw Vegan during the month of February as an experiment. I was looking for athletes who subscribed to the diet so I could have conversation about my experience with it. I think you missed the original post my dear or you bought in to the hype that ensued. Again, I never, ever, push advice on others. Period. I'm not qualified to speak for anyone but myself. As far as spelling goes, really? I don't take it personally because you don't know me, but, its mean spirited don't you think?
  • ernestbecker
    Options
    I know that the OP is a big advocate for a raw diet so I think that's where this topic comes from. I definitely know that cooking veggies and fruits does deprive them of some of their nutritional values, and I understand the benefits of a raw diet. There are "man-made" things that I love to eat however, and for me, I want to fit them into my diet. If I couldn't have wine, or some pasta, or pie.....well I just would not be a happy girl!

To be clear, me the OP isn't a big Advocate of the raw diet. I tried it for the month of February, as I did the Adkins diet last year. Me the OP is actually on a search for a long term diet life style and is currently open to ideas. Open minded. I never, ever, ever, tell people how to eat, train, or otherwise.

I wasn't pushing any diet. I had just ended a trial of Raw Vegan during the month of February as an experiment. I was looking for athletes who subscribed to the diet so I could have conversation about my experience with it. I think you missed the original post my dear or you bought in to the hype that ensued. Again, I never, ever, push advice on others. Period. I'm not qualified to speak for anyone but myself. As far as spelling goes, really? I don't take it personally because you don't know me, but, its mean spirited don't you think?
  • BenSalazar
    Options

Just brining up an extreme diet plan like 80/10/10 or atkins is enough to look like you're pushing a diet. I see you've experimented with these and not endorsed them but public forums are probably not the place to talk about extremes unless you want the kind of crap you've been getting.
  • ernestbecker
    Options

Just brining up an extreme diet plan like 80/10/10 or atkins is enough to look like you're pushing a diet. I see you've experimented with these and not endorsed them but public forums are probably not the place to talk about extremes unless you want the kind of crap you've been getting.
  • ernestbecker
    Options

• ernestbecker
    Options

Thanks man. Well, food is an emotional topic. It's at the center of how we look, what we weigh, and is socially and culturally engrained into our day to day lives. It's part of who we are. So it can be an emotionally charged conversation. That said, I don't think anyone should give advice unless asked, and even then, the receiver needs to take that advice into the context of experimentation of how it works with their own body, and social and cultural environments. I get raving upset when people who obviously have no business giving fitness advice (yes, based on how they look and how much they weight) to others that are obviously way more fit. This is the go to a skinny doctor if you're trying to lose weight conversation. It's not shaming or hating, it's just the facts, in my book. You put yourself out their giving advice, better be ready to swallow some crow if you ain't fit within the context of the conversation and people involved.

Personally, I never give advice, unless asked. Why would I?