Healthy Crockpot Recipes

Options

Replies

• SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This one is so easy and so simple. I love it to make tacos...or you could put it over some brown rice for a salad bowl.

Just take how ever many chicken breast you have and put them in the crockpot. Layer some sliced onions on the chicken. Pour a can of low sodium petite diced tomatoes over the top. Then pour enough chicken broth in to cover the breasts. Sprinkle with cumin, garlic powder and crushed red pepper. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.

When you get home shred the chicken with a fork and let it sit in the juices for another 20-30 minutes. Use toppings like lettuce, cheese, avocado, sour cream etc. yummy!!

You can also do the same recipe with a lean cut of beef. Instead of chicken broth, use beef broth. It is SO good!

I also always use low sodium broths to help reduce the sodium. HTH!! :drinker:

I am doing this tonight but instead of Mexican I am going Italian, I take out the chicken at the end and toss the remaining liquid with pasta for my guys and spaghetti squash for me, and its delicious!!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My hubby's favorite and SOOOO easy:

Place a cut of meat in the crockpot. I use chuck roast or stew meat but doesn't matter the cut. Whatever you choose, it will cook down so go with whatever is on sale ...

Add one jar of salsa. Again, your choice. My husband likes hot but use mild, medium, sundried tomato, corn-roasted, whatever.

Cook on low all day. When you get home, shred meat if needed. Serve with tortillas, cheese garnish, etc. That's how hubby likes his. I serve mine over rice and steamed veggies. Yum!! And healthy!!
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chaundraq
    Chaundraq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always use frozen. I can never remember to thaw either.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EasyKeeper8
    EasyKeeper8 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I love Skinnytaste.com, she's got some amazing recipes!

I'll add a tip for shredding chicken...after spending a day in the crockpot-spa, put your cooked chicken breasts (or thighs if boneless, skinless) in your stand mixer (KitchenAid). Use the paddle attachment and go for 45 seconds or so on medium speed. Voila! Perfectly shredded chicken and no burned fingers! :) it will probably work for tender cuts of beef and pork, I've just not tried.

I was looking for some new high protein recipes and found a few interesting paleo crockpot options this weekend, I haven't tried any of them yet, but plan to!

http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/the-30-best-paleo-crock-pot-recipes/ <-- the sweet potato casserole, buffalo chicken eggplant lasagne and cilantro lime chicken will be my first 3 experiments. :)

These also look amazing...

http://www.preppypaleo.com/2013/11/paleo-crock-pot-cashew-chicken-recipe.html

http://www.paleolland.com/2013/paleo-crock-pot-chicken-tikka-masala/
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    bump
  • emlee01
    emlee01 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the great ideas!
  • changingL1sa
    changingL1sa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slacker75
    slacker75 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just recently tried this and it worked quite well.

Aluminum foil
    Whole chicken
    Seasonings

Ball up 4 large squares of aluminum foil and set in the bottom of your slow cooker. Rinse, pat dry and season chicken. Place on top of foil. Let cook on high 4 hours or low for about 6. (Chicken was thawed, not frozen)

Thank you for posting this! I am going to cook this soon! We love getting a rostisserie chicken at Sam's, so this would be great to do our own version at home! Thanks again! :drinker:

I do this all the time! It makes a perfect "rostisserie" chicken! Fine a seasoning you like , think a seasoned salt like Lawry's or similar, put it in and walk away. The key is to raise it off the bottom like mentioned. I have an old pie tin that I poked holes in and turn upside down to raise up my chicken.
    You can also drop a ton of chopped veggies in around the bottom of the chicken, I like red potatoes, squash, onions, mushrooms, etc. :)
  • BackToWeddingWeight
    Options
    Commenting so I can come back and try some recipes.

Thanks!
  • SnarkyS
    SnarkyS Posts: 3
    Options
    A friend gave me this CrockPot Recipe and is a family favorite:

Chicken with Black Beans (Slow Cooker)

Ingredients
    • 2 cans black bean soup
    • 24 oz jar salsa
    • 2 packages of brown rice (boil in a bag)
    • 2 lb boneless chicken breast

Directions
    1. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker
    2. Pour beans, rice and salsa over chicken.
    3. Cook on high 3 - 4 hours on high
    4. When chicken is almost done, pull the chicken apart (meat will pull apart easily). Stir up and continue cooking on low for an hour.

Number of Servings: 6

Note: When friend gave me the recipe, his instructions were based on frozen chicken and stated to cook for 10 hours on low. I have never started with frozen so I made adjustments. You can also use black beans but I found the black bean soup adds a bit more liquid.

Garnish with a little sour cream and baked multi-grain or corn chips (if you have some extra calories for the day!). Left overs are delicious on a soft taco.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In for later...
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I said bump, bump, bump, bumptity bump; bump, bump, bumpity bump.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm in for ideas.

Chicken breast in the crockpot with hot sauce. YUM!
  • mead2006
    mead2006 Posts: 10
    Options
    love the recipes totally need to try some of these pinterest.com is a great resource for crockpot recipes or any recipes here is my crock pot board

http://www.pinterest.com/mead2006/crock-pot-recipes/
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump