not giving up meat for Lent

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    yeah I just don't get it- I mean meat- dead animal- fish is an animal- so I'd be puzzled to not understand how a basic human couldn't get that- but thankfully those people are dead- so whatever. I mean I get WHY they would eat fish- but not considering it meat- I've never gotten that. like you said- **shrug** just try to fix the left overs of that in today's population LOL

A LOT of people even today don't consider fish meat. Heck, I've come across an awfullot of people who think only beef is meat. Chicken, pork, fish, etc., they think are not.

pulls hair.

BUT IT"S A DEAD ANIMAL. I want to smack people who say that. It is- it is WAY more common than I would have EVER dreamed. Shockingly common actually.
    Hey. I'm totally with you! It's why so many people think they're vegetarian when they still eat fish.

My cousin used to claim she was veg and she ate everything but red meat.

Oof, like that girl that posted a month or so ago that she was vegan, except that she still drank milk and had eggs "sometimes".....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

That would be pescatarian, not vegetarian
    Thank you, Cliff Clavin.
    I was talking about just eating vegetarian Friday meals INSTEAD of including fish in them.
    The way you wrote it did not come across as you intended.

But making the distinction is important because when people think "vegetarian" means you eat fish, you get served fish a lot. People who eat fish calling themselves vegetarian is annoying.

It's not my problem if people are too dense to get the gist of what I posted and want to split hairs over it. Have a nice day.
    It's not splitting hairs. What you wrote was not what you meant. The person read what you wrote, not what you were thinking in your head. It isn't really worth getting angry over. Just laugh about your mistake and move on.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    yeah I just don't get it- I mean meat- dead animal- fish is an animal- so I'd be puzzled to not understand how a basic human couldn't get that- but thankfully those people are dead- so whatever. I mean I get WHY they would eat fish- but not considering it meat- I've never gotten that. like you said- **shrug** just try to fix the left overs of that in today's population LOL

A LOT of people even today don't consider fish meat. Heck, I've come across an awfullot of people who think only beef is meat. Chicken, pork, fish, etc., they think are not.

pulls hair.

BUT IT"S A DEAD ANIMAL. I want to smack people who say that. It is- it is WAY more common than I would have EVER dreamed. Shockingly common actually.
    Hey. I'm totally with you! It's why so many people think they're vegetarian when they still eat fish.

Oof, like that girl that posted a month or so ago that she was vegan, except that she still drank milk and had eggs "sometimes".....

lol

Pretty much!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    One of the things listed on your chart is a CUP of black beans...that's a lot of black beans to eat on a regular basis & most probably would eat about 1/2C at a time. Also, a lot of the non-meat sources are calorie dense, which would make it more difficult to stay within diet calories.

who eats a half cup of anything?

I can easily eat 2 CANS of black beans in one sitting.

Guessing you're a bigger guy, as well as a body builder. Don't think most people would want to get 720 of their daily calories from black beans. ;-) That's about half of my calories for the day.

Jo is a female. She does lift.

Oops, edited comment...just glanced at the little thumbnail & thought it was a guy. She's obviously in excellent shape.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yeah- that's how the owner of my resturant where I work is- he mostly only eats fish... I'm like- that's not vegetarian LOL. just <facepalm>
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my boyfriend's roommate is "vegetarian" but he couldn't give up sushi. I was like- so your pescetarian?
    "well yeah I guess- but mostly vegetarian" sigh
    yeah- no- not angry at you- just it makes me head want to explode LOL.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Oops, edited comment...just glanced at the little thumbnail & thought it was a guy. She's obviously in excellent shape.

no worries.
    no hair and wide shoulders- and I eat a lot- and talk like a dude. it happens. You aren't the first... certainly won't be the last.
    and thank you- I try.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Guessing you're a bigger guy, as well as a body builder. Don't think most people would want to get 720 of their daily calories from black beans. ;-) That's about half of my calories for the day.
    heh. so adorable but no.
    because of this
    but does not body build.
    (Thanks my dear by the way)

Actually I'm quiet happy eating a basic black bean soup for lunch and dinner. It's not my favorite- I'd prefer steak- but I have no qualms eating it- I eat the same food 2 times a day for 3-4 days in a row- it serves a need... which is to fuel me. So yeah- I'll eat 2 cans of black beans. I have no issue.
    In all fairness, that belief was established before science was a thing. Meat was a luxury, or 'sinful' if you will, so a 'lesser' source of protein was to be incorporated once a week (aka: fish). People in that culture at that time really didn't consider fish to be 'real' meat. Puzzling, yes. *shrug*

Yes, apologies, I just glanced at the muscular back in the tiny thumbnail & thought it was a guy. But you look great, good for you for getting in that kind of shape. I know you can eat a lot more calories when you're lifting, but don't think the average MFP person works out enough to have that many calories to play around with.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    thinking of actually going vegetarian because I actually love fish so it's not all that much of a penance. :)

Thank you, Cliff Clavin.
    I was talking about just eating vegetarian Friday meals INSTEAD of including fish in them.

LOL @ Cliff Clavin

cliff-clavin-o.gif
  • mccindy72
    Options
    heh. so adorable but no.
    because of this
    but does not body build.
    (Thanks my dear by the way)

Actually I'm quiet happy eating a basic black bean soup for lunch and dinner. It's not my favorite- I'd prefer steak- but I have no qualms eating it- I eat the same food 2 times a day for 3-4 days in a row- it serves a need... which is to fuel me. So yeah- I'll eat 2 cans of black beans. I have no issue.
    In all fairness, that belief was established before science was a thing. Meat was a luxury, or 'sinful' if you will, so a 'lesser' source of protein was to be incorporated once a week (aka: fish). People in that culture at that time really didn't consider fish to be 'real' meat. Puzzling, yes. *shrug*

Yes, apologies, I just glanced at the muscular back in the tiny thumbnail & thought it was a guy. But you look great, good for you for getting in that kind of shape. I know you can eat a lot more calories when you're lifting, but don't think the average MFP person works out enough to have that many calories to play around with.

I'm in maintenance, I eat about 2000 calories a day. I can eat a 720 calorie meal. My other meals just average out to 300-400 or so, plus my snacks.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I need the protein. I already don't get enough- I don't get nearly any vegetarian protein. I am giving up alcohol, even on Sundays... I will give up all drinks besides water, coffee, and an occasional diet soda. I think limiting my eating (i.e. not eating pizza, cheesesteaks, or the cheesecake that is currently in my fridge) is enough... I think God can forgive me for that.

Lol, God. :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I need the protein. I already don't get enough- I don't get nearly any vegetarian protein. I am giving up alcohol, even on Sundays... I will give up all drinks besides water, coffee, and an occasional diet soda. I think limiting my eating (i.e. not eating pizza, cheesesteaks, or the cheesecake that is currently in my fridge) is enough... I think God can forgive me for that.

What, you don't think God's not just hanging out up there waiting for some human to eat a piece of meat on a Friday so he can make a note in the official Catholic tally?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Thank you, Cliff Clavin.
    The way you wrote it did not come across as you intended.

But making the distinction is important because when people think "vegetarian" means you eat fish, you get served fish a lot. People who eat fish calling themselves vegetarian is annoying.

Yeah but according to some religious and cultural traditions, fish isn't meat so that's where you get that. There are some Roman Catholics in South America that dub any aquatic animal 'not meat' (like a capybara).

religious voodoo's can say it's not meat all they want- it doesn't change the fact an animal died and now you are eating it- just because it's not a mammal doesn't mean it's not a living thing..

meat is dead flesh.

fish served for the purpose of eating is: drum roll please.......... dead flesh.

If you eat veggies and eat meat- you aren't a vegetarian. it's Super annoying to me for some reason no idea why but it is.
    Vegetarian =/ pescatarian.

and yeah- 46 grams of protein? BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA

not. My goal is 150-200. Why are some of those things even on there for sources of protein? That's hysterical- what is the point of eating a 500 calorie bagel if your goal is to get protein?

^^This. All of what Jo said. Get your labels and your voodoo right.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

What, you don't think God's not just hanging out up there waiting for some human to eat a piece of meat on a Friday so he can make a note in the official Catholic tally?

I hear He was forced to upgrade to Oracle because his SQL Database couldnt handle all the data.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love my meat too much to give it up.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Nope. lol!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Thank you, Cliff Clavin.

Why didn't you say that then?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    All of the intense focus on refraining from (certain types) of meat 1 day a week and giving up some petty, insignificant vice for a few months. Isn't there a nagging voice in the back of your mind questioning why this matters at all to people anymore? Why not pledge to do something that actually matters to / helps people (you can't tell me rationally that any sort of credible deity cares whether you eat a piece of bologna on Friday or that you you temporarily gave up Skittles)?
  • And here I thought this was a supportive community... Now I know why I rarely post on the message boards.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    ChamplainHeavi, aarontfen, skinnygirls -
    Believe me, I clearly understand the point of lent and I certainly am not missing it. I just disagree with it and that's ok for me. I apologize if I didn't articulate it clearly in my original post. I do not believe I need to give up something for temporary period of time to show my love and appreciation for Jesus. There are many other ways you can honor and appreciate his sacrifices such as living your life all year long the way Jesus would have wanted or pray on a regular basis thanking him for his sacrifices and for your life instead of praying for things you need. IMO giving up something for Lent is meaningless if the rest of the year you are not living your life the way Jesus would have wanted you to. I choose not to do something for the season of Lent but to practice it all year long. I am happy and content with my choices and beliefs. I believe Jesus and God would be too. :flowerforyou:

Remember you also don't have to abstain from a specific thing during lent as you can add something such as meditation, or volunteer, make a donation, random acts of kindness, etc.:drinker:

I agree 100%. But why limit this to 1 season. Why not practice this all year long?

I agree. It is something we should practice all year round.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

yeah- that's how the owner of my resturant where I work is- he mostly only eats fish... I'm like- that's not vegetarian LOL. just <facepalm>
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my boyfriend's roommate is "vegetarian" but he couldn't give up sushi. I was like- so your pescetarian?
    "well yeah I guess- but mostly vegetarian" sigh
    yeah- no- not angry at you- just it makes me head want to explode LOL.

Thank you for this. :love: :flowerforyou:

As a vegetarian (lacto-ovo), things like this are really frustrating for me as well. Due to it I get people trying to feed me things such as fish or meat sauce minus the chunks of meat because they know a "vegetarian" who ate such and such. When I try to explain what I will eat and vegetarianism the other person gets argumentative. They insist that I can eat fish or whatever because of the one person they know of claiming to be something they really aren't. Followed by good old Oh you are one of "those people" trying to change the world to be like you. Now, anyone who truly knows me knows I really don't care what other people choose to consume. My husband is a meat eater and it has no effect on what I choose to put in my own body. I don't give him or anyone else flak over eating meat. I just wish people would take a moment to learn about various diets and truly understand them before speaking about them. It is frustrating indeed.

As far as the people saying they are vegetarian or vegan and follow by adding I only eat such and such from time to time, I have some theories. My first is I think these people are really more concerned with having that label because for whatever reason it makes them feel better about themselves or for whatever reason makes them feel morally superior. (Please see note at end) My second is they may find it easier to claim they are vegetarian or vegan instead of saying they mostly eat a vegetarian or vegan diet or transitioning to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.

***Note***
    I DO NOT (not shouting - just don't know how to put that in bold) believe I am morally superior for choosing a vegetarian life style. I do know people though who believe there is some morally superiority to it. :noway: That's why I mentioned it.
This discussion has been closed.