Diet Coke Cake?

Replies

• YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 334 Member
    Grokette, I agree with you about the from scratch cake being more healthy, but in terms of just cost, buying all those ingredients, especially those that are organic and cost WAY more, baking your cake would cost at least 75% more than the box and soda version.
    I agree too, that it is a lo-cal treat that isn't comprimising our entire diet. Our bodies are also incredibly resilient and taking in the odd chemical won't kill us. I think most of us here are trying our best to eat more fruit, veggies, and whole grain, so the odd chemical isn't the worst. In fact, it is almost impossible, in our modern world, to eat chemically-free is near impossible. WE are all just trying our best with what we have, I believe. And not all of us can AFFORD to eat the way you describe. I know I can't.
    And you are sounding somewhat judgemental and preachy, whether you realise it or not.
    Just my 2 cents worth, for anyone who cares (and if not, that is OK too)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Grokette: Look, not to disagree that diet soda cake probably isn't the greatest nutritional endeavor, but I would expect someone who is of your educational background to know a little better than to make the ridiculous mistake that you have... ALL foods, even organic raw foods, contain chemicals - remember the periodic table of elements? Hell, WATER is a chemical. Should we avoid that? Really, your rant on how boxed foods contain chemicals and we shouldn't put those in our body is completely misleading and fuels the general ignorance of science in our society. I am preparing to defend my doctoral thesis in pharmacology and have a B.S. in biomedical science and chemistry - I know my material, and I hate it when people spout how "chemicals" are bad and "natural" is good. Go ahead and argue that the cake is bad for you nutritionally, but if you are going to talk chemistry, get your definitions, and your facts, correct.

There is a huge difference in the chemical make up of a boxed cake mix and fruit, veggies and grass fed meats. We all know there is a huge difference between man made chemicals that the body does NOT recognize as food and natural, unprocessed REAL food.

Someone with a background in bio-medical science and chemistry should know that already though. Again there is a difference between natural occurring and synthetic = food like substances, aka boxed cake mix and diet soda.

You choose to do what you want to do, but I am going to keep spreading the word about how BAD this stuff is for us.
  • Grokette
    Grokette, I agree with you about the from scratch cake being more healthy, but in terms of just cost, buying all those ingredients, especially those that are organic and cost WAY more, baking your cake would cost at least 75% more than the box and soda version.
    I agree too, that it is a lo-cal treat that isn't comprimising our entire diet. Our bodies are also incredibly resilient and taking in the odd chemical won't kill us. I think most of us here are trying our best to eat more fruit, veggies, and whole grain, so the odd chemical isn't the worst. In fact, it is almost impossible, in our modern world, to eat chemically-free is near impossible. WE are all just trying our best with what we have, I believe. And not all of us can AFFORD to eat the way you describe. I know I can't.
    And you are sounding somewhat judgemental and preachy, whether you realise it or not.

In actuality, it doesn't cost more use raw, unrefined REAL foods. My husband and I see a huge difference in our food costs and we actually are saving money by changing the way we eat.

If there is a will, there is a way. My local Co-op gives classes to show you how to shop so you can eat, natural, unrefined foods and adhere to a budget.

I also make my own laundry detergent, household cleaners and my sister makes me shampoo and soap, so we swap household and hygiene items.

We use a coconut based cleaner for our dogs crates and I use the same shampoo on them as I use on myself.

It is actually more cost effective to make your own stuff than it is to buy it and it doesn't take that much time.

If I can go to school, work with my part time business, work full time at Anheuser Busch, run my household, take care of 3 dogs, my husband, work out and find time to cook - then anyone can fit these things into their schedule.
  • Grokette
    I will continue to spread the word of Good health over counting calories to lose weight.

Good health is PRICELESS.

I know I am doing what I am supposed to be doing in life. I have gotten a couple of emails from other MFP members that Thanked me for putting this out here and how them cleaning up their eating plan has improved other health ailments and aches and pains in the body.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    People use MFP for motivation and good ideas to help them lose weight and be healthy. Everyone is at a different place in their journey. Not everyone agrees with the extreme view of only eating whole, organic, nonprocessed foods. Not everyone has the knowledge to eat that way nor, in most cases I'd guess, the desire.

I've learned a lot from the MFP forums. My eating habits have drastically changed because knowledgeable people submitted their ideas and points of view. However, when threads like this get so out of hand with the back and forth disagreements that have nothing to do with the original post (okay, it was about diet Coke, but this is a recipe thread), the forums are less helpful to everyone. If someone is wondering about the health benefits of drinking diet soda and asks about it, it is totally appropriate to share your thoughts. Then those of us who don't want to get into those arguments can stay away from those threads.

When I first started trying to lose weight, I read a couple threads like this one and got totally discouraged. I thought, "I can't possibly eat perfectly like that person." Fortunately, there were other threads that did not promote such an extreme view and helped me realize I don't have to be "perfect." I wouldn't have lost 35 pounds and become so much healthier if it weren't for them. I may someday agree with the extreme view, but I'm not there yet...and this thread makes me want to run the other way!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Red Velvet cake using Diet Dr. Pepper. been there done that ooooooyaaaaaaaaa :smile:

I made these this weekend!!! I took 1 package devil's food cake mix, 12oz Diet Dr Pepper, and one bottle of red food coloring.(couldn't find the pre-packaged red velvet mix). I topped with a whipped buttercream frosting for a total of 146 calories per cupcake (made 18 cupcakes!)

SOOOO GOOOOOD!

Mmmm! That sounds great! I'm going to have to try that tonight :) Thanks for the recipe kpopa!

No Problem!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    People use MFP for motivation and good ideas to help them lose weight and be healthy. Everyone is at a different place in their journey. Not everyone agrees with the extreme view of only eating whole, organic, nonprocessed foods. Not everyone has the knowledge to eat that way nor, in most cases I'd guess, the desire.

I've learned a lot from the MFP forums. My eating habits have drastically changed because knowledgeable people submitted their ideas and points of view. However, when threads like this get so out of hand with the back and forth disagreements that have nothing to do with the original post (okay, it was about diet Coke, but this is a recipe thread), the forums are less helpful to everyone. If someone is wondering about the health benefits of drinking diet soda and asks about it, it is totally appropriate to share your thoughts. Then those of us who don't want to get into those arguments can stay away from those threads.

When I first started trying to lose weight, I read a couple threads like this one and got totally discouraged. I thought, "I can't possibly eat perfectly like that person." Fortunately, there were other threads that did not promote such an extreme view and helped me realize I don't have to be "perfect." I wouldn't have lost 35 pounds and become so much healthier if it weren't for them. I may someday agree with the extreme view, but I'm not there yet...and this thread makes me want to run the other way!

Bravo!!! Good Thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

I, too, find it so discouraging that some people on here can get so negative!!! Grokette...take my advice...send a friend request to "heathersmilez" and the two of you can start a "bash other MFP members" thread...give the rest of us "hard-working, awesome, supportive, life-changers, doing-our-best, can't be perfect, friendly" MFPers a break!
  • kksn
    kksn Posts: 122 Member

BUMP! :) Way to say it - perfect! :) Thanks for saying what we were all thinking and feeling.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    OH MY! I can not believe as preachy and judgmental as you are that you would work somewhere that makes "bad" things to go into our bodies!!!!!! If you are so into 'educating' and trying to change people's lifestyles then why would you work for someplace that does not follow your doctrine?!

I have done a pound cake mix with waist watcher diet vanilla cream soda and it is awesome! Think I may try it with orange or lemon also.

In actuality, it doesn't cost more use raw, unrefined REAL foods. My husband and I see a huge difference in our food costs and we actually are saving money by changing the way we eat.

If there is a will, there is a way. My local Co-op gives classes to show you how to shop so you can eat, natural, unrefined foods and adhere to a budget.

I also make my own laundry detergent, household cleaners and my sister makes me shampoo and soap, so we swap household and hygiene items.

We use a coconut based cleaner for our dogs crates and I use the same shampoo on them as I use on myself.

It is actually more cost effective to make your own stuff than it is to buy it and it doesn't take that much time.

If I can go to school, work with my part time business, work full time at Anheuser Busch, run my household, take care of 3 dogs, my husband, work out and find time to cook - then anyone can fit these things into their schedule.
  • Grokette
    OH MY! I can not believe as preachy and judgmental as you are that you would work somewhere that makes "bad" things to go into our bodies!!!!!! If you are so into 'educating' and trying to change people's lifestyles then why would you work for someplace that does not follow your doctrine?!

I have done a pound cake mix with waist watcher diet vanilla cream soda and it is awesome! Think I may try it with orange or lemon also.

Well, until I can get my business off the ground, I have to work and Anheuser Bucsh pays very, very well. And if you are gluten and grain tolerant, beer is not really bad for you.

I even partake in gluten free beer (Redbridge) from time to time.
  • Actually, no, I would not rather have a cake made with "real" sugar, butter, etc. Different things work for different people. Personally, I think if one takes themselves too seriously all of the time, they will eventually implode.

And you sound like you are on a mission to convert everyone to your way of thinking. No thanks.
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    bump
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Hello,
    I have Celiac Disease and have to eat Gluten Free, so I am making this using Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake mix and it is pretty high in calories, BUT even with the high calorie mix and using 2 egg whites it is still only 183 for the cake! Top that with cool whip and it's still under 200 calories!

Katy
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Hello,
    I have Celiac Disease and have to eat Gluten Free, so I am making this using Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake mix and it is pretty high in calories, BUT even with the high calorie mix and using 2 egg whites it is still only 183 for the cake! Top that with cool whip and it's still under 200 calories!

Katy

Never mind, it was TERRIBLE! YUCK :D
  • bump
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Ok, so I made two kinds of this cake - the first was dark chocolate cake mix and diet cherry pepsi. That went over really well topped with lite cool whip. The second was vanilla cake mix and diet orange soda.
    IMG_20101219_095747.jpg
    I had to use Crush, which isn't my favorite type of orange soda - but it was at the grocery store so I went with it.
    IMG_20101219_100520-1.jpg
    Bottle was 20 oz, I only needed 12 oz and the scale was easier than doing math ;) Btw, 12 oz of soda is 1.5 cups.
    IMG_20101219_120940.jpg
    Mixed up with the dry cake mix, baked as directed on the box. Cooled and cut into 12 pieces (as the nutritional info on the box was for 1/12 of the cake). Add a dollop of cool whip (I like the lite generic kind, its 20 cal per TB). Done!
  • ammp
    Oh - nutrional points of my above cake. 1/12 of dry mix is 170 cal, 1 oz orange soda is 2 cal, 1 TB of lite cool whip 20 cal = 191 cal per piece of cake with topping.

It will vary with the type of cake you use, and the type of soda and if there is topping of any kind.

1 oz of soda is because I used 12 oz and cut the cooked cake into 12 pieces, therefor each person gets roughly 1 oz of soda. I had to write it out to prove it to the hubby :huh:

BTW - tastes great!
  • do you use icing?
  • ammp
    do you use icing?

No, I use cool whip but you can spread it around like icing. You could easily use icing or glaze, but watch the calories it adds :)
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 334 Member
    You work at Anheuser Busch? Don't they make CHEMICAL drinks there? Do I smell hypocrisy?
    Anyway, Grokette, good for you, that you work a part-time and full-time job, and run a household with three dogs and a husband, and can still find the time to make all your materials from scratch.
    I am a single mom to a 5-year-old, I also have my own part-time business, as well as work full-time and part-time jobs, and I run a household of us and our two cats and one hamster. I also have two bachelors and one masters degree, so I don't think I am stupid, and I worked thoughout earning all my degrees, so I can manage time all right. I know I don't have the inclination to make everything I need, nor do I believe, despite what you say, that it is oh so easy and oh so affordable. I also believe that all of us, myself included, can make the time for what we need to make the time for. I would just rather make time for things like spending quality time with my daughter, or making art, or reading a good book. We can't all be so perfect as you.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Don't use the Zero products - made a yellow cake with Fanta Orange Zero - it was like PEPPER....weird.
    I think it was the Zero regular diet doesn't do that.

Will try again with a diet orange not the zero cuz it smelled like a creamsicle.
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352

I would much rather have a slice of cake that has been made with organic raw sugar, milk, eggs, pure vanilla, almond flour or coconut flour, unsweetened organic cocoa, etc..............

Than to eat a boxed mix (that has tons of sugar and chemicals) and diet soda........

And I would love to have that too. However, those aren't ingredients I happen to have laying around (meaning organic raw sugar, pure vanilla, almond flour, organic cocoa). What I do happen to have is a can of diet soda and a box of mix. Yes, it comes down to making healthier shopping choices, but you know what? Sometimes I just don't care. :laugh: I'm not perfect, I don't strive to be perfect. I can totally understand where you're coming from. It's not the healthiest choice, I know that. I've lost almost 60 lbs, so I can't be doing too terribly. Maybe someday I'll be perfect and eat all organic and turn up my nose at what others eat. But until then, I'm going to enjoy my chemical cake. :drinker:

Nicely said

Its sad that people have to criticize other peoples decisions. I thought we were all adults here...
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    White cake mix
    10oz Diet Sprite
    1 can drained crushed pineapple

After it was done baking I stabbed it about a million times with a fork, then poured the pineapple juice over the 'bottom' of the cake.
    After it cooled I flipped it over and iced the top with whipped cream - only half a tub of cool whip.

I made it yesterday for DH's birthday. Usually we have like half a cake leftover after peoples birthdays...well there is none left. The dish was pretty much licked clean. lol it was not pretty to serve bc it was so moist it fell apart a little but OMG was it tasty!! :love:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    The best part of my dt dr pepper, choco cake I made this weekend...Was being able to eat the batter :P...I'm a weirdo, but I didn't have to worry about the possibility of food poisoning :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    It's awesome! I have a recipe for it on sparkrecipes http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1142640

I like it best with fresca.

Fresca and lemon cake mix make awesome muffins too!:smile:
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    I have made the diet coke and chocolate cake which was good. The can of pumpkin and devils food cake mix was better!

I am going to try the angel food cake with a can of crushed pineapple this week and I just read about taking a box of spice cake and adding a can of pumpkin to that. Its supposed to taste like pumpkin bread :) Yum!!!
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Hello,

Katy

Never mind, it was TERRIBLE! YUCK :D

Oh bummer! I'm Celiac as well and I was getting excited to try it with my Betty Crocker gluten free mix...hmmm wonder if I should bother...
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    sounds tasty i really fancy baking today ( love baking hense my weight gain ) but i'm in two minds cos i might just be setting myself up for failure only 10 days in and don't wanna be putting temptation food in my way so soon :-(
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    I don't eat sugar at all...is there in Australia a non-sugar packet of cake mix??

I can see where the other lady is coming from but I think her personality is one that feels the need to tell everyone exactly what she thinks. She probably sees no wrong in what she is doing and actually probably feels she is the 'right' one on this thread and that everyone else is delusional. There are many people out there who just HAVE TO help others whether those others have asked for help or not. It is probably turning her stomach to see people going mad with delight over this food, and yes, everyone has their own opinions but give her a little credit in trying to help people see that what they are choosing isn't exactly the best way (even if she did go about it a little too harshly according to many people).

I try to keep 'clean' with my foods and keep away from packet foods (mainly because I detest in making big companies richer who don't give a rats **** about us little people) but every now and then it doesn't hurt.

As many people have said, they aren't eating this ALL the time, just occassionally.

:flowerforyou:

(I am actually scared to post this LOL)
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    You can also use just seltzer water.
This discussion has been closed.