Bump
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Excellent!! :drinker:
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible to make this post a sticky?
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks for posting this. :flowerforyou:
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can refer to this again. Thanks for the great advice!
  • jellybellykelly
    jellybellykelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump for later reference... thank you!
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wanting to get back into running after long hiatus. This is great info...thanks!!!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    This is an incredible write up, bump for it to appear on my feed.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    bumpity bump! I want to read this later:)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I hear from a lot of people who think that they are too fat to run. They try it, it's hard, and they think that the reason is due to weight. It's not, running is just hard when you start. There is no way around it. The advice from OP is universal, because the issues are universal. Slow down, be patient, it WILL get easier.

When I started a year and a half ago, I weighed about 70lbs more than I do now. Since then, I have gone from agonizing through the 30 second intervals in a C25K program to my planned run today, which is about 13 miles. They won't be 13 miles that I struggle through, either. There will be times, of course (stupid hills), but most of it I will thoroughly enjoy. It really does get easier. Just stick with it and make it through the first few weeks. Don't add too much too soon (guilty). The running has made to my cardiovascular health is amazing. My blood pressure at my last checkup was around 107/67, not too shabby for a woman who still weighs over 200 lbs. Even better, I've found an activity that I dearly love and makes me feel alive.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In to read more later.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My weak glutes and I are in!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    thank u
  • AMKelleyRN
    AMKelleyRN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I started running a few months ago, and have had several set backs, but this information is really helpful. Physiologically we are designed as hunters/runners. We are at the top of the food chain! Anyone is capable of doing this (with respect to health issues) its just a matter of tapping in to one's willpower to do so!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always thought that I can't run due to knee pain. Started very slow by walking then adding in running a little at a time. Now no pain and usually run 5 to 6 days a week. It really helped my weight loss and fitness level. I now love running. Great advice from the OP another source if that doesn't do it for you is "The little red book of running" by Scott Douglas
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Thanks, OP :flowerforyou:
  • Jymolloy18
    Options
    I have always ran but I never challenged myself..:smile: I want to do a 5K
  • luckygirl134
    luckygirl134 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I just started training to run my first 5K and this is very helpful!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Lifeisgood4
    Lifeisgood4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump