Are you guys for or against childhood vaccines?

Options

Replies

• mam479
    mam479 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe in vaccines. I have all my childhood ones because my mother, despite being a devout Catholic and herself not having been vaccinated and our family being against my bother and I getting vaccinated for religious reasons, decided to get us vaccinated. Good call on her part, because while I was fine as a child, my brother was extremely sickly, and could've died without being vaccinated.

I don't have children, but if I did I would get them all the necessary shots/vaccines when they're little. If they're a sickly child, then maybe they'd get "extras" like the flu shot. There's no way that I wouldn't let my child have a vaccine and put them at risk just because I don't believe in vaccines. To me, that's bad parenting, and honestly I'd feel like the worst person in the world if my child got sick and died from something that I could've easily prevented. However, I wouldn't allow them to get something like the HPV vaccine unless by the time I have children (if I do) there's more information and more studies done about it. Personally, I think it's too new of a vaccine and I don't trust it, it hasn't been around long enough to know all the possible long-term side effects. When the child is 18 they can get whatever shots they want regardless of my opinion on them.

I have a friend of mine who is Mormon, has 8 kids, all that jazz. They don't believe in vaccinations because they're "evil" and they "destroy your immune system" and "cause disease" such as autism. That's their opinion, and that's cool, they can do whatever they like. But they wonder why are their kids always so sick, and they got upset when the whooping cough outbreak here happened and all 8 kids (aged from 2-18) got so sick to the point where one almost died. They believe that eating healthy will prevent all illness, and while I agree that a healthy diet can, and sometimes will, prevent illness, they wouldn't have been in that situation with their kids if they'd gotten vaccinated.

So just purely out of curiosity, after saying all that, how is it that you say you don't believe in vaccines? You just said that they do in fact work, and can potentially prevent fatal illness, so what is it you don't believe in about them?

I was wondering that too!

Also, where in the Bible does it say "Thou shalt not vaccinate"? What specifically is the religious objection? [Not trying to be combative, I've just never heard of that outside of faith healing believers.]

As for the Bible, as far as I know (I'm not particularly devout) it doesn't say crap all. Not sure about Mormons, but my very very Catholic family thinks that vaccinations "go against God" because it's introducing something foreign to your body. (So you can best believe that they take issue with me having tattoos and piercings.) I can't say that all Catholics believe that though. My mother finds that notion hilarious, but her sister sh-ts a brick about it.
    ''

This is literally the first time I have ever heard about Catholics being religiously against vaccines. And I know (and am related) a LOT Catholics.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    For all of you who say you have your children vaccinated against most things, but not chicken pox, please reconsider, especially for girls! Like rubella/German measles, if a pregnant woman gets chicken pox it can cause birth defects. I was too old to get the chicken pox vaccine as a kid, but never caught it, so my gyno had me get vaccinated as an adult.

that is why chicken pox parties exist for kids in elementary school.

Great idea. Be sure they exchange email addys so they can schedule Let's-Celebrate-Our-Shingles parties when they're older.:drinker:

I personally have NEVER met a person that has had shingles. Just saying it is not very common. I was involved with chicken pox party as a kid so was my sister, wife, sister in law and parents/uncle/aunts. So i will let you know if any ever get shingles.

My mom got shingles in the middle of her chemo treatments. Last thing she needed. She said it was painful, and this from a woman who didn't accept freezing at the dentist. My husband's mom got it during a particularly stressful time in her life. Also said it was very painful. In fact, this thread is a good reminder to me to have a look at the shingles vaccine. Thanks.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    For all of you who say you have your children vaccinated against most things, but not chicken pox, please reconsider, especially for girls! Like rubella/German measles, if a pregnant woman gets chicken pox it can cause birth defects. I was too old to get the chicken pox vaccine as a kid, but never caught it, so my gyno had me get vaccinated as an adult.

Great idea. Be sure they exchange email addys so they can schedule Let's-Celebrate-Our-Shingles parties when they're older.:drinker:

I personally have NEVER met a person that has had shingles. Just saying it is not very common. I was involved with chicken pox party as a kid so was my sister, wife, sister in law and parents/uncle/aunts. So i will let you know if any ever get shingles.

My mom got shingles in the middle of her chemo treatments. Last thing she needed. She said it was painful, and this from a woman who didn't accept freezing at the dentist. My husband's mom got it during a particularly stressful time in her life. Also said it was very painful. In fact, this thread is a good reminder to me to have a look at the shingles vaccine. Thanks.

My father and just recently my father-n-law have had the shingles.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Money Magazine did an investigation into vaccine safety in the 1990's. This is part of their findings:

"Among MONEY’S disturbing findings we learned that DPT shots caused brain damage at the rate of one case for every 62,000 fully immunized kids. The shots also kill at least two to four people a year, according to a federally funded Institute of Medicine study and perhaps as many as 900 a year- including a great number misclassifed as victims of sudden infant death syndrome- according to the independent National Vaccine Information Center. What’s worse these tragedies can be virtually eliminated by a current product. Who wouldn’t pay $9 more than the current product. Who wouldn’t pay $9 to protect their child even from a one-in-62000 risk of severe illness, let alone death? Sound like a simple solution? Don’t count on it. Although they are now making some small moves the government and the drug industry have an appalling record of facing up to vaccine problems..." And the article goes on to discuss some pretty depressing information. It can be read here: http://www.vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/May2001/MoneyMag.htm

Nice fearmongering.

This article is grossly out of date. It refers to the DTwP which includes whole cell pertussis. In 1991, the DTaP(acellular pertussis) was approved in the USA for the 4th and 5th shot. Since 1997, DTwP has not been used in the USA, only DTaP.

I think the point is that it WAS used before 1997, in spite of the fact that a much safer alternative was available for $9 more. It is hardly "fearmongering" to point out the gross violations of the public trust that have been committed again and again by the pharmaceutical industry. As recently as a couple of years ago, a batch of influenza vaccine containing live H5N1 (avian flu) from Baxter Pharmaceuticals was sent to the Czech Republic:

"The company [Baxter Pharmaceuticals] that released contaminated flu virus material from a plant in Austria confirmed Friday that the experimental product contained live H5N1 avian flu viruses.

And an official of the World Health Organization’s European operation said the body is closely monitoring the investigation into the events that took place at Baxter International’s research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria.

“At this juncture we are confident in saying that public health and occupational risk is minimal at present,” medical officer Roberta Andraghetti said from Copenhagen, Denmark.

“But what remains unanswered are the circumstances surrounding the incident in the Baxter facility in Orth-Donau.” The contaminated product, a mix of H3N2 seasonal flu viruses and unlabelled H5N1 viruses, was supplied to an Austrian research company. The Austrian firm, Avir Green Hills Biotechnology, then sent portions of it to sub-contractors in the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany.

The contamination incident, which is being investigated by the four European countries, came to light when the subcontractor in the Czech Republic inoculated ferrets with the product and they died. Ferrets shouldn’t die from exposure to human H3N2 flu viruses.

Public health authorities concerned about what has been described as a “serious error” on Baxter’s part have assumed the death of the ferrets meant the H5N1 virus in the product was live. But the company, Baxter International Inc., has been parsimonious about the amount of information it has released about the event..."

Why isn't it surprising that more information on the incident is being withheld by Baxter? You can read the rest of the article here: http://socioecohistory.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/live-avian-flu-virus-placed-in-baxter-vaccine-materials-sent-to-18-countries/
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

My father and just recently my father-n-law have had the shingles.

I got shingles last year and my doctor said people who had chicken pox as children will most likely get them as adults. I had them as a kid. It is the same illness, only the adult version. He told me to try to stay away from pregnant women.
  • mam479
    Options
    I work in public health and am very VERY much pro-vaccine.

I also encourage people to get their flu shot, for several reasons. I know I'm probably banging my head against a brick wall here, but I have to try.

-Influenza is the only infectious disease (yes not even HIV/AIDS) that is in the top 10 causes of death in the USA.

-In 2010 over 50,000 people died due to Influenza or Pneumonia. That's not a couple of people.

-Even if you are young and healthy, flu can still kill you or cause lasting complications. H1N1 is a great example. H1N1 is more deadly in younger and healthier people BECAUSE they are healthier. It induces a cytokine storm response which can lead to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) that even today 1/3 of people who have ARDS will die.

-I have a friend (I can even link to her story if you want it) that got H1N1. She went septic and by the time she was out of the hospital she had: lost both legs below the knees, partial amputations of all of her digits, a large thoracotomy scar, and numerous surgeries.

The problem is a lot of people will say they have the 'flu' when in reality, they probably don't, they just have a nasty cold.

Unless you are immunocompromised or extremely ill with chronic conditions THE FLU SHOT CANNOT GIVE YOU THE FLU. The vaccines contain inactivated (non-infectious) viruses or in some cases don't contain the virus (microbial DNA). The mild fever you MAY get shortly after the vaccine is a side effect.

But! I ALWAYS get the Flu when I get the Flu shot! One, make sure you ACTUALLY have the flu, you can get an antiretroviral for it (tamiflu). Second, the efficacy of the shot varies from year to year (usually it's in the 60% to 70% range) because vaccine manufacturers have to guess (by looking at the Southern Hemisphere) what viruses are going to be circulating and they don't always guess correctly. So if you do get the flu (and they will type your flu b/c it's reportable to the state and Feds) you most likely were 1) exposed to the virus before you were vaccinated and 2) you contracted a strain that wasn't in the vaccine.

I'm not very good at checking back on threads so if you have a question feel free to send me a message.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I also encourage people to get their flu shot, for several reasons. I know I'm probably banging my head against a brick wall here, but I have to try.

-Influenza is the only infectious disease (yes not even HIV/AIDS) that is in the top 10 causes of death in the USA.

-In 2010 over 50,000 people died due to Influenza or Pneumonia. That's not a couple of people.

-Even if you are young and healthy, flu can still kill you or cause lasting complications. H1N1 is a great example. H1N1 is more deadly in younger and healthier people BECAUSE they are healthier. It induces a cytokine storm response which can lead to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) that even today 1/3 of people who have ARDS will die.

-I have a friend (I can even link to her story if you want it) that got H1N1. She went septic and by the time she was out of the hospital she had: lost both legs below the knees, partial amputations of all of her digits, a large thoracotomy scar, and numerous surgeries.

The problem is a lot of people will say they have the 'flu' when in reality, they probably don't, they just have a nasty cold.

Unless you are immunocompromised or extremely ill with chronic conditions THE FLU SHOT CANNOT GIVE YOU THE FLU. The vaccines contain inactivated (non-infectious) viruses or in some cases don't contain the virus (microbial DNA). The mild fever you MAY get shortly after the vaccine is a side effect.

But! I ALWAYS get the Flu when I get the Flu shot! One, make sure you ACTUALLY have the flu, you can get an antiretroviral for it (tamiflu). Second, the efficacy of the shot varies from year to year (usually it's in the 60% to 70% range) because vaccine manufacturers have to guess (by looking at the Southern Hemisphere) what viruses are going to be circulating and they don't always guess correctly. So if you do get the flu (and they will type your flu b/c it's reportable to the state and Feds) you most likely were 1) exposed to the virus before you were vaccinated and 2) you contracted a strain that wasn't in the vaccine.

I'm not very good at checking back on threads so if you have a question feel free to send me a message.

The flu shot that you get from Bayer or Baxter Pharmaceutical could be laced with avian flu (60% kill rate) or HIV. Both of which has happened recently. Read about it in my post above.

ETA: Also, cytokine storm is likely caused by a vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D down-regulates an over-active immune response.

p.s. Tamiflu is a very bad drug BUT it made certain people a LOT richer. Most knowledgeable docs won't even give it to anyone.
  • mam479
    Options
    Money Magazine did an investigation into vaccine safety in the 1990's. This is part of their findings:

"Among MONEY’S disturbing findings we learned that DPT shots caused brain damage at the rate of one case for every 62,000 fully immunized kids. The shots also kill at least two to four people a year, according to a federally funded Institute of Medicine study and perhaps as many as 900 a year- including a great number misclassifed as victims of sudden infant death syndrome- according to the independent National Vaccine Information Center. What’s worse these tragedies can be virtually eliminated by a current product. Who wouldn’t pay $9 more than the current product. Who wouldn’t pay $9 to protect their child even from a one-in-62000 risk of severe illness, let alone death? Sound like a simple solution? Don’t count on it. Although they are now making some small moves the government and the drug industry have an appalling record of facing up to vaccine problems..." And the article goes on to discuss some pretty depressing information. It can be read here: http://www.vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/May2001/MoneyMag.htm

Nice fearmongering.

This article is grossly out of date. It refers to the DTwP which includes whole cell pertussis. In 1991, the DTaP(acellular pertussis) was approved in the USA for the 4th and 5th shot. Since 1997, DTwP has not been used in the USA, only DTaP.

I think the point is that it WAS used before 1997, in spite of the fact that a much safer alternative was available for $9 more. It is hardly "fearmongering" to point out the gross violations of the public trust that have been committed again and again by the pharmaceutical industry. As recently as a couple of years ago, a batch of influenza vaccine containing live H5N1 (avian flu) from Baxter Pharmaceuticals was sent to the Czech Republic:

"The company [Baxter Pharmaceuticals] that released contaminated flu virus material from a plant in Austria confirmed Friday that the experimental product contained live H5N1 avian flu viruses.

And an official of the World Health Organization’s European operation said the body is closely monitoring the investigation into the events that took place at Baxter International’s research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria.

“At this juncture we are confident in saying that public health and occupational risk is minimal at present,” medical officer Roberta Andraghetti said from Copenhagen, Denmark.

“But what remains unanswered are the circumstances surrounding the incident in the Baxter facility in Orth-Donau.” The contaminated product, a mix of H3N2 seasonal flu viruses and unlabelled H5N1 viruses, was supplied to an Austrian research company. The Austrian firm, Avir Green Hills Biotechnology, then sent portions of it to sub-contractors in the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany.

The contamination incident, which is being investigated by the four European countries, came to light when the subcontractor in the Czech Republic inoculated ferrets with the product and they died. Ferrets shouldn’t die from exposure to human H3N2 flu viruses.

Public health authorities concerned about what has been described as a “serious error” on Baxter’s part have assumed the death of the ferrets meant the H5N1 virus in the product was live. But the company, Baxter International Inc., has been parsimonious about the amount of information it has released about the event..."

Why isn't it surprising that more information on the incident is being withheld by Baxter? You can read the rest of the article here: http://socioecohistory.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/live-avian-flu-virus-placed-in-baxter-vaccine-materials-sent-to-18-countries/

Should this have gotten more press? Probably. Should Baxter tell the public how it got mixed? (if they know) I would say yes.
    It's disturbing how these viruses were allowed to mingle. But I wouldn't call it a violation of public trust because the vaccine was not for public use. It was sent to research labs for further testing where it killed the ferrets. The process WORKED, the problem was caught and the public was safe. There are many, many steps before the flu vaccine is ready for market and here the mistake was caught.

The DTaP vaccine wasn't delayed because it cost more money. There is a process to this. The vaccine had to be tested to see if it was as effective, to see if it was safe, etc. This takes time and money for the vaccine to be licensed and approved. Also while the vaccine was developed in 1981, it was still undergoing tweaking in Japan such as purifying the antigenic compounds. Then those vaccines had to be tested. Until 1989, the vaccine wasn't even used on children under that age of 2. Even after it was licensed HUGE clinical trials were still going on to make sure it was safe. People freak out because they say HPV was rushed to market (even though it had been underdevelopment for about 20 years). And apparently when the medical community takes their time to make sure it is safe (keep in mind there was already an effective vaccine on the market, so it wasn't a completely novel vaccine) apparently it's a violation of public trust.

I don't have a lot of love for big Pharma, but honestly. Why would they hold out in rolling out a vaccine that GOT them more money? Also, it's very bad press to kill people with your vaccines and they would do anything to avoid that.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...It's disturbing how these viruses were allowed to mingle. But I wouldn't call it a violation of public trust because the vaccine was not for public use. It was sent to research labs for further testing where it killed the ferrets. The process WORKED, the problem was caught and the public was safe. There are many, many steps before the flu vaccine is ready for market and here the mistake was caught..."

This time. It should be remembered that, in the case of influenza vaccine, time is of the essence and flu vaccines are often rushed to market before being fully tested. Also, in the case of the Baxter incident, experts are demanding to know how the contamination occurred because:

"...The shocking answer is that this couldn’t have been an accident. Why? Because Baxter International adheres to something called BSL3(Biosafety Level 3) – a set of laboratory safety protocols that prevent the cross-contamination of materials. As explained on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosaf…):

'Laboratory personnel have specific training in handling pathogenic and potentially lethal agents, and are supervised by competent scientists who are experienced in working with these agents. This is considered a neutral or warm zone. All procedures involving the manipulation of infectious materials are conducted within biological safety cabinets or other physical containment devices, or by personnel wearing appropriate personal protective clothing and equipment. The laboratory has special engineering and design features..' ”
  • mam479
    Options

The flu shot that you get from Bayer or Baxter Pharmaceutical could be laced with avian flu (60% kill rate) or HIV. Both of which has happened recently. Read about it in my post above.

ETA: Also, cytokine storm is likely caused by a vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D down-regulates an over-active immune response.

p.s. Tamiflu is a very bad drug BUT it made certain people a LOT richer. Most knowledgeable docs won't even give it to anyone.

First off, Bayer and Baxter don't make the flu vaccine in the United States, though people should check with their own countries.

Also HIV in flu shots? If you are referring to the incident in Colorado, it is because needles were shared. The vaccine wasn't contaminated.

Cytokine storm and vitamin D deficiency? While vitamin D does effect the immune system, it is highly unlikely to the point of preventing a cytokine storm (PS: one study =/= likely). Keep in mind the Spanish Flu pandemic started in the United States in August and September and reached its height in October. Since you know so much about Vitamin D and the immune system, you know there is a lag time in Vitamin D levels of about a month. Meaning that the people dying in August and September were at the height of their Vitamin D levels, and October levels were also rather high. Is it an area of research to be studied? Yes. However it is certainly no where near the phrase 'likely caused.'

Don't know much about Tamiflu, mostly it's effectiveness and who should use it, so I can't really argue with that point.
  • mam479
    Options
    "...It's disturbing how these viruses were allowed to mingle. But I wouldn't call it a violation of public trust because the vaccine was not for public use. It was sent to research labs for further testing where it killed the ferrets. The process WORKED, the problem was caught and the public was safe. There are many, many steps before the flu vaccine is ready for market and here the mistake was caught..."

This time. It should be remembered that, in the case of influenza vaccine, time is of the essence and flu vaccines are often rushed to market before being fully tested. Also, in the case of the Baxter incident, experts are demanding to know how the contamination occurred because:

"...The shocking answer is that this couldn’t have been an accident. Why? Because Baxter International adheres to something called BSL3(Biosafety Level 3) – a set of laboratory safety protocols that prevent the cross-contamination of materials. As explained on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosaf…):

'Laboratory personnel have specific training in handling pathogenic and potentially lethal agents, and are supervised by competent scientists who are experienced in working with these agents. This is considered a neutral or warm zone. All procedures involving the manipulation of infectious materials are conducted within biological safety cabinets or other physical containment devices, or by personnel wearing appropriate personal protective clothing and equipment. The laboratory has special engineering and design features..' ”

It takes months for a flu vaccine to be made and many stages literally cannot be rushed. Also the ferret stage is early in the process and rather crucial because it is needed for antigenic and genetic analysis. Heck, the stage is so early there isn't even a vaccine to speak of! The virus is still being studied.

I know about Biosafety Labs. I've worked in some.

EDIT: FYI It's a bit late where I am and I have to go.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a child who is immunocompromised.
    I'm absolutely pro vaccine. Absolutely positively.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Cytokine storm and vitamin D deficiency? While vitamin D does effect the immune system, it is highly unlikely to the point of preventing a cytokine storm (PS: one study =/= likely). Keep in mind the Spanish Flu pandemic started in the United States in August and September and reached its height in October.

Ah--but the peak of mortality was late in the following winter. Interestingly, the death toll in South Africa (the fifth largest outbreak in the world) peaked in October--the end of their winter, when vitamin D levels would have been at their lowest.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    The answer really lies in whether you want your children to attend public schools.

No federal vaccination laws exist, but all 50 states require certain vaccinations for children entering public schools. Depending on the state, children must be vaccinated against some or all of the following diseases: mumps, measles, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and polio.

Many have sued the school system, none of those children are currently in public schools. I personally would never allow my child to associate with someone who has not been immunized.....not taking any chances with that.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    No just got the vaccines for my 2month old. I'm not ready to see my baby in the PICU because of whopping cough.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

It's extremely painful I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    The answer really lies in whether you want your children to attend public schools.

No federal vaccination laws exist, but all 50 states require certain vaccinations for children entering public schools. Depending on the state, children must be vaccinated against some or all of the following diseases: mumps, measles, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and polio.

Many have sued the school system, none of those children are currently in public schools. I personally would never allow my child to associate with someone who has not been immunized.....not taking any chances with that.

People can get that waived in at least some states. I know someone who did.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I was not vaccinated against chickenpox because "back then" the vaccine was not available. I did get it as a child and I DID get shingles as an older adult. OMG, it is not fun, it is terrible painful, debilitating and very contagious.

Shingles is very common in older adults and it could be very damaging .Furthermore, having had chicken pox and the shingles, DOES NOT mean that you cannot get it again (shingles), so I got the shingles vaccine and so did my husband. I am not going thru that misery again.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

The only thing regarding vaccines that I don't necessarily believe in would be the HPV/ Gardasil vaccine, but only because it's a relatively new vaccine and I don't believe that there's enough research done about it yet to rationalize getting it. Perhaps on that one I could or should do more research, and perhaps by the time I have a girl child (if I do) and she's old enough to get that particular vaccine there will be a lot more information available, but that would probably (hopefully) be at least 15 years from now.

Wrong wrong wrong. The HPV vaccine was already under development over 15 years ago. In order to be approved by the FDA, vaccines have to go through numerous levels of research. First, animal trials are done extensively. Then, trials are conducted with a small number of subjects. Phase 2 consists of clinical trials with a few hundred subjects, followed by Phase 3 with thousands of subjects. If the vaccine fails to show any efficacy or has harmful effects at any of those stages, it will not be approved. Because the vaccine (and it's competitor, Cervarix) were both approved by the FDA, we KNOW that they work and are safe.

Not always. A lot of clinical trials aren't long enough to really parse out long term effects. They do the best they can to investigate side effects, but there is only so much that can be done in the time frame - it's just not always feasible to follow a drug for years on end before moving onto the next phase, and thus a number of side effects are found in post-marketing. For example, Zofran (an anti-nausea drug) was later found to have the potential to cause long-QT syndrome (a heart rhythm disorder). A lot of antidepressants are taken for much longer than was ever tested and again, post-marketing side effects are discovered.

My point is, we don't KNOW they are safe - we have reasonable certainty, but not everything is always known at the time they come out. I've been on drugs in the NDA phase, and I am definitely for vaccines and pro-medication in the right circumstances, I can just completely understand the trepidation with a brand new medication on the market.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I was not vaccinated against chickenpox because "back then" the vaccine was not available. I did get it as a child and I DID get shingles as an older adult. OMG, it is not fun, it is terrible painful, debilitating and very contagious.

Shingles is very common in older adults and it could be very damaging .Furthermore, having had chicken pox and the shingles, DOES NOT mean that you cannot get it again (shingles), so I got the shingles vaccine and so did my husband. I am not going thru that misery again.

Oooo, thanks for reminding me about that! I had chicken pox when I was super young. I watched a close family member go through shingles, and I'd rather not, thanks.