Replies

• goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless it's really bad.
  • angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My first day I feel really weak tired and crampy usually so no that day I do nothing just depends on the severity of your symptoms every woman is different I can relate to the heavy period too thats why im so tired the first day so yea listen to your body ladies
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love how some people (women) keep insisting TOM is "not an excuse to not exercise"... I guess because it's okay for you guys, it should be for every other woman on earth too. Some people get horrific migraines during TOM, or bleed to heavily or are in too much pain to exercise...but I guess those are all "excuses."
    But, hey, must be nice to have life all figured out for everyone!
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course after my pain kicks in.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The only thing I avoid is deadlifting within 24 hours either way of the start of shark week. Personal experience has taught me that that particular hormone combination turns me into someone who is not safe to be around others. Other than that, it is still game on.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And yes I work out but my periods aren't severe. Pop some ibuprofen and I'm out the door. I just make sure to wear black shorts those days... just incase :blushing:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Six months ago, I said "of course, its crazy not to!" To this same question. But the past few months have for some reason had changes in my cycle. TOM now brings intense cramps and nausea and dizzy spells.

I do try to keep working out, but if I get too sick I have to rest longer between sets and sometimes just give it up and try again the next day.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It may be beneficial to some women, but there are many others who suffer from fibroids, endometriosis or PCOS who actually do suffer incredible pain, heavy bleeding and digestive upset along with migraines and incredible fatigue. Exercise doesn't relieve those symptoms.

I've had surgery for my endometriosis, so my periods aren't usually as bad as they used to be, but occasionally I have a horrible period where my all of my internal organs along with my uterus feel like they are on fire and being ripped out all at the same time. Those months I skip a day or two. Some months, I have hardly a cramp. Those months, I don't miss a workout.

I actually think I have endo, which is why its so hard to exercise for the first 2-3 days of my period. I'm younger though so it might just be offsets of dysmenorrhea. I don't want to make excuses but the pain is sometimes so bad that I'm up all night and miss school and work. Maybe exercise might help though...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The only thing I avoid is deadlifting within 24 hours either way of the start of shark week. Personal experience has taught me that that particular hormone combination turns me into someone who is not safe to be around others. Other than that, it is still game on.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And yes I work out but my periods aren't severe. Pop some ibuprofen and I'm out the door. I just make sure to wear black shorts those days... just incase :blushing:

anyone ever actually have a tampon pop out from a specific exercise?

I've had some close calls or ones that practically fell out- but it had more to do with poor sitting position- or the fact it was at the end of the time period and needed changing anyway rather than a direct correlation to an actual exercise/lift.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I do! Exercise goes a long ways towards relieving cramps. Shark week isn't terribly intense for me, though, so I don't blame those that choose to take the time off if they're experiencing headaches, nausea, and heavy bleeding. I'm fairly fortunate to be able to keep on keeping on during that... period.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not an excuse.

Definitely not an excuse, I just think for some people such as myself, the first 1-2 days are absolutely brutal in terms of pain and all that fun stuff - trust me, if I didn't feel like dying for 2 days, I'd be a lot more eager to work out :-)
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    I have severe endometriosis and as a result have wicked painful periods, very heavy flow and my IBS acts up terribly...BUT it doesn't stop me from the gym. I take an extra strength Midol for the cramping, and Immodium for the diarrhea and get my workout on. Personally nothing is gonna keep me from reaching my goal. I'm not judging those who choose not to either..i guess its a personal preference. There are bathrooms there if I need them and I might work a little less hard but at least I did it. Believe me it's not easy. There have been times I've gotten to the gym parking lot and wanted to turn around due to the way i was feelin but something always pulls me inside. Actually the exercise seems to help with the cramping..within a few minutes of warm up I have already forgotten about it since the medication is kicking in and i'm too focused on what I'm doing to focus on anything else. I can't ever imagine taking a week off for a period but that's just me. Oh..and ya..never had a tampon fall out either..I've had a few episodes with 'gushing' flow but that's what a panty liner is for. They make them for thong underwear too. I just run to the bathroom when i've felt that and all's good. I know it's tmi but thought i'd share my experience.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have no reason not to.

^^^ agreed
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. But I have pretty typical periods. I know there are some women who are almost debilitated by TOM, but I would imagine they are in the minority.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I mean that's 1 week in 4 where you won't work out otherwise. Besides which exercising really helps me with any symptoms I'm having. I work straight through, barely notice the cramps when my legs feel like they're on fire! :-)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I wait until my Advil have kicked in and yep. But my period is 300X better now that I've lost weight, I hardly even need it anymore.

The whole 'endorphins will help' thing has always been BS as far as I'm concerned though, but I think my endorphins are broken.
    mine are broken too
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Of course I do! No excuses!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My main exercise is walking and I can do that. It really depends on how bad the cramps/muscle spasms are.
  • grimelle59
    grimelle59 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yep i definately do. Maybe not the first day of cramps and any discomfort but usually after the first day i workout
  • Kelly845
    Kelly845 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    not first two days, just have a walk when I feel good
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    /