Vegan?

12345679»

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    SAD is loaded with meat and dairy. No need to call yourself.
  • amtatusko
    amtatusko Posts: 16 Member
    1. Being a vegan is fine and respectable. Just make sure that you are planning it correctly and not relying on YouTube or even Dr. Oz for your information. Here are a couple of reputable resources to start with:

Being a vegan is totally healthy if planned appropriately. I can trust Harvard and the ADA. Money quote:

"In July 2009, the American Dietetic Association weighed in with a position paper, concluding that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases" (Journal of the American Dietetic Association, July 2009)."

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/October/becoming-a-vegetarian

And this:

"The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day (or 8 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight)."

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

2. DO NOT start any kind of vegan diet with your kid without talking this over with your pediatrician. My hunch is that the pediatrician will tell you it is a bad idea and then give you a bunch of reasons why. Remember that breast milk is an animal-based source of nutrition! At some point towards our middle age we just need less animal protein than before, but for kids ask yourself if it is a health risk you are willing to take.

Hope this helps.
  • veganism is a great idea and CAN be healthy if you plan it out correctly as for the 2 year old do not put him/her on a fruitarian diet please for there health they are growing also may I suggest if you do become a vegan nutritional yeast, chia seeds, vegan b12 and iron supplement and if you have any question please ask me