Paleo vs. Clean eating?

Options
So I've been reading up on Paleo.. it looks pretty interesting? Do any of you do Paleo? or Eat Clean.. Im having a little bit trouble finding the true definition of Eating Clean.. Correct me if I'm wrong.. does it mean no processed food... as in nothing coming from a box? or is it something else?

I'm hesitant to jump on the band wagon since i have a lot of stuff in my pantry but I'm really fascinated by it. Can anyone of you give me some insight or share your experience how you started or transitioned in to Paleo or Eating Clean

Thank you
Happy

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Cleaning eating threads always blow up with people arguing one way or the other.

What works for me is eating whatever I want, but monitoring the total macros (protein, fat, and carbs) and calories to fit within my daily allowances and goals.
  • hafdis
    hafdis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cleaning eating threads always blow up with people arguing one way or the other.

What works for me is eating whatever I want, but monitoring the total macros (protein, fat, and carbs) and calories to fit within my daily allowances and goals.

wow do not want to start an argument lol...

I pretty much been doing what you have been doing so far and had great success.. I just wanted to make an attempt to eat healthier..
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    wow do not want to start an argument lol...

I pretty much been doing what you have been doing so far and had great success.. I just wanted to make an attempt to eat healthier..

If you've had success, I personally wouldn't change anything... but if you think no processed foods might help feel better or have more success, why not try it?

Some people swear by no processed foods, others don't really care. Both groups have had success, so I think it's just a personal preference.

I don't think you'll get a consistent definition about what paleo or clean eating actually is though. Maybe start by trying what you think it is?
  • mpizzle421
    mpizzle421 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A small suggestion.

I'm not sure why you're on mfp but introducing too much can in some cases be a bit of a stumbling block.

Depending on how you define eating clean - I would expect that you'e eliminating the processed junk (fast food, boxed and canned food, etc.) and shopping the outsides of the grocery store. Paleo being even more limiting.

I would start with, and make sure you can maintain for a fair length of time, just the basics. Portion control, logging and keeping within your calorie goals. For some people (like myself) just doing that takes some real getting used to without introducing anything overly restrictive.

That being said - I'm sure there are some real overall health advantages to eating clean and possibly paleo. Just make sure you don't set yourself up for too much change all at once.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    so in...

to the op don't change what isn't broken...

Clean eating definition is as diverse as those who chose to follow it...for me it's the 5 sec rule in my house...10 sec rule in my mothers.

Paleo..eh I've heard good things but call me lazy I don't feel like searching that hard for food to eat...and I just have to drive 10mins away and I can get grain fed everything etc...we have an organic farm that sells all paleo food I just don't want to give up my treats etc...
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of Paleo but I couldn't give up my greek yogurt, cottage cheese and oats .
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo/Primal, and I love it! I mostly eat this way because I enjoy how I feel without the processed foods and chemicals going into my system. I am not as strict as many Paleos, especially now that I've been eating this way for several months. For instance, most Paleos won't eat dairy or legumes. I eat both, which is why I'm really more in the Primal category. To me, Paleo is avoiding any chemicals and processed foods. (If it has a chemical or more than five ingredients, or if you can't pronounce any of them, it's probably a no-no). Likewise, any grains or gluten is pretty much off limits. This usually includes rice, etc, but it differs from person to person.

I also eat moderately low carb, which many Paleos don't, because I tend to have an easier time losing weight on a higher fat/protein diet. Carbs just don't help me any, they really tend to make me want to binge, especially the grains/sugars. This is the real reason Paleo works so well for me, it naturally avoids my trigger foods! :) It's not really a lifestyle that's centered on losing weight, it's really all about finding what's healthy for your body. I count calories to lose my weight, but I'll be eating Paleo forever, even when I reach my goal. It's always worth giving Paleo a try if you are a fan of whole foods and lean protein, you'll really enjoy it. The first week or two is the hardest, but after that most people feel great. Hope you find what works for you!
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love paleo. I have auto immune issues and eating "whatever" fits in my macros doesn't work for me. Food makes or breaks me ..... I am actually slightly stricter than paleo, and if I veer I am exhausted and plagued with joint pain and migraines :/

We are all different though. :)
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think a smart thing to do is to try to eat healthy food 80% of the time. I eat mostly non-processed foods myself. But today was a tough one, I think I hurt my shoulder at the gym and I'm exhausted so I am eating chicken nuggets, potato puffs and frozen veggies for dinner courtesy of my oven. I was going to have Parmesan tilapia, broccoli and quinoa but some days you just do not have the effort!

So basically, moderation is the key to success. Why don't you start out just expanding your recipe repertoire? Experiment with new foods! My dad, an old farmer/good ole boy was telling me the other day how much he likes quinoa. If someone like my daddy can try something new, anyone can! :tongue:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Both are based on rather shaky foundations.

I suspect in both cases they may work as a bit of an exclusion diet - if you actually have problems with a few things and cut out big swathes that include them, some feel better.

It can also help some people keep to a calorific deficit by excluding a good many foods, so less choice means less things to binge on.

Some time ago I tried 'clean' (which really has no useful definition and I find most that practice it often don't even follow their own definitions if you look into it) - I'm doing much better now eating whatever fits my macros - because I'm using more 'science' in that and other areas.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think there is a middle ground. I try to change something one food at a time so as not to get overwhelmed. I started by getting rid of added sugars, eating more vegetables, then I put my salt shaker away. This week I started trying to ween away from lunch meats. I will be making little changes along the way till I'm eating that middle ground.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There is no 100% clear cut this is the paleo diet, this isn't, especially these days. There's a variety of people out there who look into how foods affect us, what foods might make some(or possibly most) of us sick, and looking at what people ate before the invention of modern day diseases for inspiration, if not replication exactly. I have been slowly making my way towards a more primally inspired lifestyle, by avoiding sugars and grains in particular gluten. It can seem radical to some, but it really is making a world of difference for me. I've done other dietary approaches before and have never felt as good as I do when I take primal/paleo eating approaches seriously.

I would definitely check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ since it tends to be a bucket of resources and has A LOT of success stories.

I would also encourage you to check out the paleo groups here which have great reads for more info.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    "Modern day diseases" ? Would that be the ones that are a lot more seen now because our lifestyles mean we live a lot longer on average? :)
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat according to my macros, processed or not! That's healthy for me :)

My definition of eating clean is washing my hands before I eat!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    So I've been reading up on Paleo.. it looks pretty interesting? Do any of you do Paleo? or Eat Clean.. Im having a little bit trouble finding the true definition of Eating Clean.. Correct me if I'm wrong.. does it mean no processed food... as in nothing coming from a box? or is it something else?

I'm hesitant to jump on the band wagon since i have a lot of stuff in my pantry but I'm really fascinated by it. Can anyone of you give me some insight or share your experience how you started or transitioned in to Paleo or Eating Clean

Thank you
    Happy

Clean eating means different things to different people. To some people it means wiping the dirt off their food after they've dropped it on the floor but to most people it means no processed foods or junk foods, just foods that are in their most natural state such as fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, unprocessed meat etc etc. Other people may take it to the extreme and only eat organic, biodynamic or non GMO food, never microwave their food or store it in plastic containers and even only cook their food in organic certified pans with non-toxic surfaces such as cast iron etc. So you can take it as far as you want to.

There is no real need to go to that extreme to lose weight but if you are more concerned about the affects of additives, preservatives and pesticides etc to your health it may bear looking into further. I myself eat as organic and pesticide free as I can to ensure I get as many micro-nutrients such as vitamins and minerals as I can. Not so concerned with macronutrients at all and Paleo is just way too hard for me.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    "Modern day diseases" ? Would that be the ones that are a lot more seen now because our lifestyles mean we live a lot longer on average? :)

No, they would be the ones that have only occurred since we've started eating too much processed food full of additives, preservatives and junk food such as diabetes, heart disease, non-alcoholic cirrosis of the liver, bowel cancer and the like some of which are occurring in children and teenages and people under 40 so not because we are living longer as children have never had these diseases 50 or more years ago.

Before the 1930's or so, these diseases were so rare they didn't even have names, and there were plenty of old people around then too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…for the anticipated dumpster fire…and to get a definition of clean eating, and to really find out if you want to eat like paleolithic man and did I mention dumpster fires…???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - is your current regimen working? Is there a specific reason you are interested in this?

as someone suggested earlier..you can accomplish weight loss, body fat reduction,etc with calorie deficit, hitting macros, and working out/moving more..
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat according to my macros, processed or not! That's healthy for me :)

My definition of eating clean is washing my hands before I eat!

I should add that to mine too...:bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    Options

No, they would be the ones that have only occurred since we've started eating too much processed food full of additives, preservatives and junk food such as diabetes, heart disease, non-alcoholic cirrosis of the liver, bowel cancer and the like some of which are occurring in children and teenages and people under 40 so not because we are living longer as children have never had these diseases 50 or more years ago.

Before the 1930's or so, these diseases were so rare they didn't even have names, and there were plenty of old people around then too.

no one had cancer before the 1930's really?