DAIRY MAKES YOU FAT!?! OPINIONS??

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags- I'm open to being corrected, so no I wasn't aware of the information you replied with.

I'm aware of the fact that simply the absence of animal foods in itself does not necessarily make a person's diet healthier than someone whose diet does contain small amounts of animal foods. For example, someone who is vegan could live off of oreos, french fries, and canned vegetables and be very, very unhealthy and sick. On the other hand, someone who eats small to moderate amounts of meat and/or dairy may also eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, fruit, legumes/beans, nuts seeds, etc... and be much healthier overall. I just think that if a person IS going to consume dairy, it should be minimal and should be free of antibiotics, hormones, and other stuff (although I personally don't consume it anymore) and that the majority of the diet should be more nutritionally dense plant foods. Everyone can agree on those.

No one is ever going to agree on what is the best approach to nutrition because there have been difference studies, different conclusions, and there will always be difference of opinion. Although I'd strongly advocate for a plant-based diet, I think that people should at least eat whole foods, and find something that works for THEM. If it's not a sustainable lifestyle, then it'll be harder to stay healthy in the long-term.

I appreciate your openess to new information. I would also agree that moderation and dairy products free of hormones and antibiotics/ additives is smart. I would also agree that a diet that is diverse and consists of mostly nutritionally dense whole foods is optimum. It seems we agree more than we disagree after all!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I haven't read the pages of replies so sorry if this is redundant, but my opinion is that a lot of foods that are high in calories and delicious (so you are tempted to eat more) contain dairy. Pizza, mac n cheese, cassaroles, ravioli, paleek paneer, grilled cheese sandwiches, milkshakes, ice cream, etc and so on. So by just making a simple "no dairy" rule, ALL of these foods become a non-issue in one fell swoop. So that is why, if a person can stick to it, cutting out dairy helps with weight loss. Nothing magical about it.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I've lost 47 lbs eating large amounts of dairy. I suppose my opinion is "no" ... but moderation in high fat, high caloric foods is key.

Some dairy is low to no fat, high in protein and fairly lo cal. (greek yogurt) and I eat a lot of plain no fat greek yogurt as a replacement for sour cream and for just about everything I want a creamy taste to.

Some people have problems digesting milk protein, but I am not one of those people :)

ps. The vegans will not take my yogurt away, they will have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Dairy generally is high calorie - not including certain "skim" products that have been stripped/modified.

Everyone thinks this, but it isn't true. Usually fat is added to milk. The parts that are separated from the milk are used to make cheese. Skim milk is as close to milk from the cow as you can get without it actually coming straight from the cow.
    OMG.........Cows give skim milk and the cream is added, seriously......... you need to at least do some basic research before typing.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Carrots make you fat if you eat enough of them.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have lowered the amount of milk I drink to what I have with cereal, just because I prefer solid foods on a lower calorie diet.
    I have not noticed any difference in my weight loss. I have 1 oz servings of low fat cheese every now and then.

I love dairy and think it's great, but I avoid the full fat stuff because it is more calorie dense per oz.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    also, I lost 20 pounds and drank a glass of chocolate milk AFTER my workout every single day.

i have heard drinkin chocolate milk affer a worout is good for u :)
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Cutting out anything from your diet without replacing it with something with as many calories will make you loose weight. Dairy includes cheese, cream and butter, which has lots of calories.
    On the other hand, sugar, meat, grains and pasta also has a lot of calories, cutting one of those out without replacing it would give you the same effect as cutting dairy.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Overeating makes you fat.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Dairy generally is high calorie - not including certain "skim" products that have been stripped/modified.

Everyone thinks this, but it isn't true. Usually fat is added to milk. The parts that are separated from the milk are used to make cheese. Skim milk is as close to milk from the cow as you can get without it actually coming straight from the cow.
    OMG.........Cows give skim milk and the cream is added, seriously......... you need to at least do some basic research before typing.

This person was referring, somewhat ineptly, to the process of homogenisation of milk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk#Creaming_and_homogenization

It is true that unhomogenised milk separates rather quickly into a cream top layer, which was in times past skimmed off and made into products like butter.
  • alexapland
    Options
    YES. Dairy and Meat are BAD for your health. High Carb Vegan Life Style. Is where you will find your answers. Look at the founders of all the "low carb" "high protein" "paleo" diet books. They are fat and unhealthy looking. High Carb Raw Vegan or Cooked Vegan founders are still going strong and looking and feeling awesome! The Government runs, and makes money off the production of meat and dairy. So of course they will fund fixed studies to "prove" that **** will make you healthy and slim. BULL CRAP!
  • alexapland
    Options
    want to show me someone who got fat off of carrots? because I eat 2,500 calories of fruit and grains every day and have lost 20lbs and gained muscle. . . . so too much of something makes you fat? Hmmm I wonder why my 20 bananas a day has made me so slim?!?!?
  • alexapland
    Options
    if this is true, that dairy is good. then why is america so fat? and why are women dieting their whole lives with constant struggles of keeping slim? BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT WANTS YOU TO EAT MEAT AND DAIRY BECAUSE THEY MAKE MONEY FROM IT. If the china study isn't credible enough to you, look up high carb raw vegans like free lee the banana girl or fully raw kristina.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    YES. Dairy and Meat are BAD for your health. High Carb Vegan Life Style. Is where you will find your answers. Look at the founders of all the "low carb" "high protein" "paleo" diet books. They are fat and unhealthy looking. High Carb Raw Vegan or Cooked Vegan founders are still going strong and looking and feeling awesome! The Government runs, and makes money off the production of meat and dairy. So of course they will fund fixed studies to "prove" that **** will make you healthy and slim. BULL CRAP!

Solid first post.
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Everything makes you fat if you eat too much of it. 50 oranges a day will make you fat.

^ This ^

I had plenty of dairy all throughout my loss. Oh, and I also didn't have to buy organic to be healthy - please don't believe all the hype people tell you about non-organic foods. If you like it, fine, but don't bash others who produce healthy foods that are equally nutritious.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I agree it's not what you eat as much as how much you eat. I never trust these studies no matter who puts them out because someone with an agenda is paying the bills of those researchers and you can't trust them to be impartial if they want to keep their money coming in.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    if this is true, that dairy is good. then why is america so fat? and why are women dieting their whole lives with constant struggles of keeping slim? BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT WANTS YOU TO EAT MEAT AND DAIRY BECAUSE THEY MAKE MONEY FROM IT. If the china study isn't credible enough to you, look up high carb raw vegans like free lee the banana girl or fully raw kristina.

I never struggled losing once I set my mind to it and I love my meat and cheese...tin foil hat much?
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I will admit, I didn't read all the posts on this topic. I do say to each their own. Some people do great with dairy and some people like my son in law can clear a room after they have had some (DON"T give the boy dairy!). I personally enjoy yogurt daily and often have cheese but could care less about drinking milk. That works for me.

I did see a documentary not log ago called the "10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight". One of the tips was on dairy. In it they did some experiments with this person by having him eat no dairy and a set calorie diet for a week. Every day they tested his feces to see how much fat he was digesting and eliminating. The second week he ate the same calorie diet with the same fat content but added dairy products to every single meal and again tested him every day. The tests showed that the fat in your diet combines with the dairy calcium in your diet making it indigestible. They showed that low fat dairy helps excrete more fat fat from all your food. It's around 40 mins into the documentary.
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-losing-weight/
    Great news for ice cream!!!
    It's really worth it to spend an hour watching the documentary.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Dairy is terrible. Avoid it like the plague.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Um...maybe because of portion size? Ever thought of that? A restaurant 'portion' is often 2-4 actual portions and that includes things like salads. Doesn't matter what one eats, if they are over their TDEE they will gain. Period.