40lbs v Sugar!!

Options

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I need another cup of coffee before finishing this...........

OP - welcome to MFP. If you ask the opinions of the masses, you should expect direct answers. Welcome to the internet :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

We obviously have different ideas on what the word recommend is - My interpretation is that it is advise as apposed to an order or instruction - what's yours?
    No disagreement on the definition. It's a silly recommendation with no good basis in research or knowledge.
    Well then don't do it, your an adult and have freedom of choice!

You are making recommendations to others that have no basis in research or knowledge. I don't post in threads like this for my benefit, I do it for people reading these threads to try and get them to think critically and avoid falling for silly recommendations made by people who have no business giving advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    why would you cut out fruit...it's chalk full of vitamins and minerals...not to mention soluble fiber. good stuff...but whatever floats your boat I guess...just completely unnecessary. I can see trying to minimize intake of added sugars and whatnot, most people could stand to bring that down a notch or two or three or more...but giving up fruit is just a bit silly IMHO.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    to the OP...

1) The reason you got a lot of people saying no don't do it is because we know that limited food and/or food groups from your diet is not sustainable.

Think about it this way...this isn't a diet...it is a new way of eating for life. 2) Sugar is not the devil, sugar alone does not cause weight gain...no food does it is the quantity of the food you eat not the types.

If you have a medical condition that requires you to limit certian foods or types of food that's fine and understandable...but if you don't there is not reason.

Look at this new thing you are doing as how you are going to eat for the rest of your life...just in smaller portions. As you get closer to maintenance you increase your portion size (and calories) and instead of re introducing all those foods you cut out back in you are already eating them.

4) As well if you cut out foods you like/crave/love you are more likely to binge on them at a later date, feel bad about yourself and fall into old habits again because you feel like you failed so why bother going any further.

3) Yes these words come from experience.

As for your book...sugar does not turn into fat and make you fat...excess calories make you fat.

5) As for advice eat at reasonable calorie deficit,
    set your weekly weight loss goal at about 1lb a week (I suspect you don't have 100lbs to lose),
    exercise if you want and eat back part of those calories, if you don't want to exercise don't...
    Log everything you eat and weigh your solids so you know how much you are eating
    Choose the correct entries...by that I mean don't use ones that have the words generic, homemade or start with an asterik (*) they are user entered...check nutrional values and confirmations
    If you can't find a correct entry make your own based on the label.

Losing weight requires one sacrifice...eat less calories than you burn that's it.

Now for the forums random strangers on the internet shouldn't have that much affect on your self esteem and confidence...I mean they aren't in your life, and shouldn't be able to dictate your mood...if they can...stay out of the forums...this was tame...wait until someone is really mean (where they get removed from the forums for their post)

There are a lot of very smart people here who know what they are talking about and don't sugar coat it...(excuse the pun) 6) yes they are blunt (I've been accused of it as well) but all in all they are too the point and right.

1) - everyone is different - what may be un-sustainable for one person will not be un-sustainable for another (we need a broader perspective on this point).

2) Most normal people do not think Sugar is the devil - I certainly don't. Just because someone wants to cut back on something does not mean they hate the thing - that's your sensitive interpretation of it.

3) - that's based on your study of one. Again not every one will react to food or think the same as you.

4) - based on my study of one - I must disagree with this statement - I no longer crave these things nor indeed want them.

5) - nobody disputes IIFYM's works - in fact you can still do IIFYM whilst cutting back on sugar (wow it's a flexible system).

6) - not always but sometimes the comments from posters go from being blunt to absolutely pointless.

:smile:

Yes everyone is different but that majority of yo yo dieters are yo yo dieters because they gave up too much, which isn't needed...note I said needed. If someone truely wants to give up whole food groups go ahead but history says it isn't sustainable and the best way to predict future is to look at the past...

as for point 2 don't put your feelings onto me...I am not sensitive about people giving up food...people can do what they want but I will give an alternatives to elminating whole food groups as it is not necessary...and that's not an opinion that is fact.

As for me speaking from experience it wasn't a study it's perspective...big difference.

1) As for point number 6 you of all people are chastizing comments for being pointless...need I remind you of page one where you chose to address me individually as to why I care...that was pointless...pot meet kettle...

2) You jumped on this post because you want people on your side of the equation...that side being the side that gives up food or food groups...you are adament that your way is great, works etc...fine it works but it works because you are in a calorie deficet...not because you gave up food groups etc.

As well maybe giving up sugar has made you feel better and you don't crave that stuff anymore...but perhaps the reason you feel great has nothing to do it with it...maybe it's the weight you lost that makes you feel great, the extra exercise..

And to quote you...a study of one and not everyone will react as you did.

As well..you aren't a woman...which does have an effect on what we crave/want.

Perspective for you...I don't crave chocolate...I like chocolate...so I eat chocolate. Sometimes it has nothing to do with cravings but more about likes...

As well cravings imho have always been about what you body is lacking because I actually craved sour cream when I was pregnant...ate it on everything...couldn't get enough of it...stopped at actually eating it from the container tho.

1) - agreed I am as guilty as everyone else - difference is I'm aware of it.

2) - if you check most of my posts I only get into threads (not all the time but most) where the OP has specifically asked a question about, cutting food groups, going low carb etc.....

What I would not do is go onto a IIFYM thread, vegan thread or another thread where the OP has not asked or commented on the things above and hoist my views on them.

If every I am guilty of that it is on VLCD or miracle diet pills and normally I will offer studies to suggest it might not be the best course of action and most of the time I will suggest calorie counting as well as LCHF as alternatives (balanced view).

1) no the difference is that you call others out on it when you do it...I only called you out on it because of your comment. Otherwise I leave that alone...

As for your posts most of them are in the chit chat area for spank/bang etc...

As for what you wouldn't do...then stay out of posts about super colan clenses (since you don't do them), IF since you don't do it (you are paleo), stay out of threads asking about atkins...you don't do it. and stay out of HCG diet threads you don't do it...and stop hoisting your views on those people who do them...
    How much money does the HGC diet cost? if it's more than nothing get your money back.

Not healthy.

Lots of other option - healthier and won't cost you money (apart from the grocery bill)

No study in that comment...and you didn't offer any other suggestions...

But now that we have completely derailed this particular thread...and notice I said we..I will stop debating this with you.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    why would you cut out fruit...it's chalk full of vitamins and minerals...not to mention soluble fiber. good stuff...but whatever floats your boat I guess...just completely unnecessary. I can see trying to minimize intake of added sugars and whatnot, most people could stand to bring that down a notch or two or three or more...but giving up fruit is just a bit silly IMHO.

Agreed.

To all the people who lurk on here and simply read the posts to try to figure out how to get started, what a good number of people are saying in this thread is that OP's plan isn't necessary.

You don't have to do this to be successful. It is her choice if she wants to do it, but most of the people who have had success in weight loss and body recomposition haven't taken this route (including cwolfman and Sunofabeach, as two examples), their past experiences and success are well documented in the forums.
  • sassyut
    sassyut Posts: 1
    Options
    I have never posted in a MFP forum before (I usually just peruse) but I i have actually experienced what you are proposing to do so I thought I'd give my two cents and experience (hopefully this isn't an epic first post fail haha).

About 4 years ago I lost 100 lbs and got within 8 lbs of my goal weight. Previous to that, sugary desserts were a big part of everyday (like I would have at least 2 a day, sometimes replace a meal with dessert, etc). I needed a huge wake up call because I could see my health going downhill fast (diabetes is rampant in my family). I decided to give up processed sugars (basically, I told myself no dessert). I didn't set a time limit but ended up doing it for 10 weeks. It felt great, to be honest. I lost 35 lbs in that time and totally redefined my taste palate. For the first time in my life, fruit tasted like dessert to me, and that's how I used it.

I think sugar get's demonized a lot, and I tend to feel like moderation is usually the best policy. For me personally, cutting it out for that period of time was what I needed to be able to eat processed sugar in moderation again without feeling the need to overdo it.

After that 10 weeks, I started having dessert occasionally (maybe twice a week) and went on to lose another 65 lbs.

Whether or not that approach is sustainable is going to be different from person to person and only you can really answer if it will work for you or not.

I don't think there are any "health" risks of cutting out the twinkies for a long period of time, just like i don't think it's a health risk to eat a twinkie from time to time. I think dessert is more of a psychological thing anyway. There are some good psychological effects from having a sweet treat every once in a while. You just have to find what's going to be right for you.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

We obviously have different ideas on what the word recommend is - My interpretation is that it is advise as apposed to an order or instruction - what's yours?
    No disagreement on the definition. It's a silly recommendation with no good basis in research or knowledge.

You are making recommendations to others that have no basis in research or knowledge. I don't post in threads like this for my benefit, I do it for people reading these threads to try and get them to think critically and avoid falling for silly recommendations made by people who have no business giving advice.

What would be the harm of someone cutting back on sugar for a month? If a 100 people did it and at the end of that month 99% went back to eating how they did before and the 1% found a health benefit (please, I know you are not naïve enough to think some people do not have issues with sugar that cutting it back wouldn't help) I think for that 1% the 30 day trial would be worth it.

I think a sillier recommendation would be to not try different things - if you've never tried cutting back sugar on your diet where is your base line comparison for normal?

Also I do not think anyone on this forum has any business telling people NOT to do anything - so I'm sorry to have to disagree with you Dr Sonofabeach.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    to the OP...

1) The reason you got a lot of people saying no don't do it is because we know that limited food and/or food groups from your diet is not sustainable.

Think about it this way...this isn't a diet...it is a new way of eating for life. 2) Sugar is not the devil, sugar alone does not cause weight gain...no food does it is the quantity of the food you eat not the types.

If you have a medical condition that requires you to limit certian foods or types of food that's fine and understandable...but if you don't there is not reason.

Look at this new thing you are doing as how you are going to eat for the rest of your life...just in smaller portions. As you get closer to maintenance you increase your portion size (and calories) and instead of re introducing all those foods you cut out back in you are already eating them.

4) As well if you cut out foods you like/crave/love you are more likely to binge on them at a later date, feel bad about yourself and fall into old habits again because you feel like you failed so why bother going any further.

3) Yes these words come from experience.

As for your book...sugar does not turn into fat and make you fat...excess calories make you fat.

5) As for advice eat at reasonable calorie deficit,
    set your weekly weight loss goal at about 1lb a week (I suspect you don't have 100lbs to lose),
    exercise if you want and eat back part of those calories, if you don't want to exercise don't...
    Log everything you eat and weigh your solids so you know how much you are eating
    Choose the correct entries...by that I mean don't use ones that have the words generic, homemade or start with an asterik (*) they are user entered...check nutrional values and confirmations
    If you can't find a correct entry make your own based on the label.

Losing weight requires one sacrifice...eat less calories than you burn that's it.

Now for the forums random strangers on the internet shouldn't have that much affect on your self esteem and confidence...I mean they aren't in your life, and shouldn't be able to dictate your mood...if they can...stay out of the forums...this was tame...wait until someone is really mean (where they get removed from the forums for their post)

There are a lot of very smart people here who know what they are talking about and don't sugar coat it...(excuse the pun) 6) yes they are blunt (I've been accused of it as well) but all in all they are too the point and right.

1) - everyone is different - what may be un-sustainable for one person will not be un-sustainable for another (we need a broader perspective on this point).

2) Most normal people do not think Sugar is the devil - I certainly don't. Just because someone wants to cut back on something does not mean they hate the thing - that's your sensitive interpretation of it.

3) - that's based on your study of one. Again not every one will react to food or think the same as you.

4) - based on my study of one - I must disagree with this statement - I no longer crave these things nor indeed want them.

5) - nobody disputes IIFYM's works - in fact you can still do IIFYM whilst cutting back on sugar (wow it's a flexible system).

6) - not always but sometimes the comments from posters go from being blunt to absolutely pointless.

:smile:

Yes everyone is different but that majority of yo yo dieters are yo yo dieters because they gave up too much, which isn't needed...note I said needed. If someone truely wants to give up whole food groups go ahead but history says it isn't sustainable and the best way to predict future is to look at the past...

as for point 2 don't put your feelings onto me...I am not sensitive about people giving up food...people can do what they want but I will give an alternatives to elminating whole food groups as it is not necessary...and that's not an opinion that is fact.

As for me speaking from experience it wasn't a study it's perspective...big difference.

1) As for point number 6 you of all people are chastizing comments for being pointless...need I remind you of page one where you chose to address me individually as to why I care...that was pointless...pot meet kettle...

2) You jumped on this post because you want people on your side of the equation...that side being the side that gives up food or food groups...you are adament that your way is great, works etc...fine it works but it works because you are in a calorie deficet...not because you gave up food groups etc.

As well maybe giving up sugar has made you feel better and you don't crave that stuff anymore...but perhaps the reason you feel great has nothing to do it with it...maybe it's the weight you lost that makes you feel great, the extra exercise..

And to quote you...a study of one and not everyone will react as you did.

As well..you aren't a woman...which does have an effect on what we crave/want.

Perspective for you...I don't crave chocolate...I like chocolate...so I eat chocolate. Sometimes it has nothing to do with cravings but more about likes...

As well cravings imho have always been about what you body is lacking because I actually craved sour cream when I was pregnant...ate it on everything...couldn't get enough of it...stopped at actually eating it from the container tho.

1) - agreed I am as guilty as everyone else - difference is I'm aware of it.

2) - if you check most of my posts I only get into threads (not all the time but most) where the OP has specifically asked a question about, cutting food groups, going low carb etc.....

What I would not do is go onto a IIFYM thread, vegan thread or another thread where the OP has not asked or commented on the things above and hoist my views on them.

If every I am guilty of that it is on VLCD or miracle diet pills and normally I will offer studies to suggest it might not be the best course of action and most of the time I will suggest calorie counting as well as LCHF as alternatives (balanced view).

1) no the difference is that you call others out on it when you do it...I only called you out on it because of your comment. Otherwise I leave that alone...

As for your posts most of them are in the chit chat area for spank/bang etc...

As for what you wouldn't do...then stay out of posts about super colan clenses (since you don't do them), IF since you don't do it (you are paleo), stay out of threads asking about atkins...you don't do it. and stay out of HCG diet threads you don't do it...and stop hoisting your views on those people who do them...
    How much money does the HGC diet cost? if it's more than nothing get your money back.

Not healthy.

Lots of other option - healthier and won't cost you money (apart from the grocery bill)

No study in that comment...and you didn't offer any other suggestions...

But now that we have completely derailed this particular thread...and notice I said we..I will stop debating this with you.

Well first off my posts in the chit, chat forums is normally a hug, dance response - I will occasionally go a bit further).

I regards to the super colon, if you read my thread I was offering studies which may be useful for the OP. Yes I do IF - limited eating window normally 1pm - 9pm). I have not claimed to be strict Paleo I am more lenient Primal (I have mention this several times on my thread - ones that you have been in). I do sometimes eat very low carb and have an on off keto ability in my diet so I do have an insight into the Aitkins type diet and can make a constructive contribution (not sure you can say the same).

In regards to HCD - if I recall correctly the OP was asking if it was healthy and I think my response was as long as they were getting enough protein then yes and suggested that they were eating lower fat - I cannot recall if I even mentioned LCHF - As unlike some I do not need to wear my credentials like a badge of honour.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

double post
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

because it is not necessary to lose weight..and a lot of people lurk the forums for ideas and will think that this is a sensible, long term plan, and will try to do it …

what is the point of having public forums if no one can post in them just because you do not like the content of the posting???

and people come into the threads for advice, so even if the OP did not mean for this to be 'advice' some will interpret it in that way and try to copy it…

hopefully, by pointing out that this is not a necessary, or sustainable plan others will not follow suit.
    [/quote]
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

What would be the harm of someone cutting back on sugar for a month? If a 100 people did it and at the end of that month 99% went back to eating how they did before and the 1% found a health benefit (please, I know you are not naïve enough to think some people do not have issues with sugar that cutting it back wouldn't help) I think for that 1% the 30 day trial would be worth it.

I think a sillier recommendation would be to not try different things - if you've never tried cutting back sugar on your diet where is your base line comparison for normal?

Also I do not think anyone on this forum has any business telling people NOT to do anything - so I'm sorry to have to disagree with you Dr Sonofabeach.

Trying things for the sake of trying them when there is no good evidence that there is reason to do them is certainly your right. Recommending them to others is another matter altogether. Even the American Heart Association only recommends limiting refined sugars, not cutting them out altogether, and it does so in an effort to get people to reduce their calorie intake, not because sugar is "bad."

Best of luck with your goals.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Trying things for the sake of trying them when there is no good evidence that there is reason to do them is certainly your right. Recommending them to others is another matter altogether. Even the American Heart Association only recommends limiting refined sugars, not cutting them out altogether, and it does so in an effort to get people to reduce their calorie intake, not because sugar is "bad."

Best of luck with your goals.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. I think avoiding added sugar and even fruits for a short period of time is a GREAT way to reset your thinking and your habits, and perhaps even reset your palate. An MFP friend just did 10 days and she thought things tasted sweeter afterwards. I recall feeling the same way. A banana felt so decadent. But regardless, that time away from sugar will help you break those learned habits that cause you to go to sugar to comfort you, entertain you etc.

What happens after that is tricky. I believe in the old adage "Abstinence is easier than perfect moderation". I have an MFP friend who has had zero sweets for over 7 months and going strong. I have attempted a few times in my life and never lasted more than three months. This time around I reintroduced sugar in smallish amounts hoping to avoid the urge to binge when my resolve ultimately weakens. When I catch myself having what feels like a bit too much (i.e. I start desiring it more strongly), I just do a 24 hours no sugar "reset" again. Tempting to use the word "detox" :).

So far I am mostly just consuming something sweet when I'm feeling a little listless and have something physical I want to do. Yesterday for instance I had lunch too late and felt bonked. I had four jelly beans (gave the rest of the pack to my husband) and instantly felt better. I usually have a Clif bar as a pick me up before I go to tennis or hop on the treadmill. But for the most part, I still avoid cakes, cookies etc.

Having said all that, I DO like the "perfect moderation" espoused here. Makes sense to meet your nutritional requirements/goals first then, providing you have enough calories left, have a treat near the end of the day. You are not "abusing" sugar by consuming it when you are stressed or bored.

All that stuff may be something you consider in a week or two. In the meantime, good luck in your sugarfree period.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have just OFFICIALLY started MFP today and I'm going to avoid all sugar even fruit. I'm sure I crave iy and want to give it a go!

Has anyone else done this and if so how did they find it and what results if any did they find?

Thanks for reading!!!!
    Why? Weight loss and/or control us not about deprivation, it's about moderation.

Now I'm craving ice cream with a pear in it.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt there is a topic made that has not been made several times before by this point.

Of course.

But that's not the same as one person posting their own same question in multiple forums.

Look saying to someone new who has juster started 'I now don't like you' is CHILDISH and NOT positive criticism!

I apologise that my post has been so controversial but it was my FIRST ever post and I didn't know that EVERYONE reads EVERY topic on each of the boards that is why I posted it on a couple to target different people as I am desperate to get advise with being new.

I hadn't read ALL of the terms and conditions and didn't realise I broke a rule!

For goodness sake people all I'm after is help not my confidence being battered down more than it already has! Well done for that some of you, you've really made me feel secure about myself! I honestly feel quite threatened.

I can take criticism but would like sensible criticism and advice whether positive or negative so I shall rephrase now I've gone away and had a good think about my plan, so here goes:

'I am contemplating cutting refined sugars out of my diet and wondered if anyone had done so as I understand that you can get some side affects.
    I have also been reading a book 'Sugar is poison' by David Gillespie and he mentions that fruit should be kept to a bare minimum as especially certain fruits contain a lot of sugar 'fructose' and if too much fructose is digested then required by the body it is turned into FAT!

Could anyone advise me as to the best way to go forward as I have tried cutting out carbs, lots of different diets but still stuck at the same weight!

I've always been a size 8 and was very fortunate but over the last 2 years I have had medical problems which no fault of my own has resulted in me putting 4 stone on which for my small frame is a huge amount! I would LOVE any help, advice, firmed adds, positive or negative feedback and again apologise to the nicer people on here for posting more than once.

Can I say a special thanks for the people (tennis dude etc) for sticking up for me. If it wasn't for them I was about to delete my account and forget the whole thing.

OP, as far as the forums go, those on MFP are quite tame. Folks that responded to you were addressing your plan to cut out all sugar including fruit which would be problematic on many levels. However, the responses were in no way the level of snark seen in other threads. You honestly do not need to use the forums to use MFP so trying to elicit sympathy by saying you are going to quit MFP doesn't work. It only hurts you. That being said, I will now address your reduced carb question.

This is working for me and I see the change as being sustainable for the long term but you will have to make the judgement call as to whether this would work for you. I reset my macros from the default 50:30:20 to 40:30:30 which reduced my carbs to 40% and raised my protein to 30%. You can change your macros manually under goals. My diet is healthy in that we avoid refined white sugar, HFCS, hormones and food additives especially artificial ones as well as eating organic and locally produced. So it was likely a bit lower in carbs to begin with. In my research, I came across the advice to focus on protein and fat first then work in carbs. I've made simple changes like substituting Greek yogurt for regular yogurt and sour cream. It is high in protein and lower carb. I don't eliminate higher carb foods like rice and potatoes but I do reduce the serving size. Despite the negativity surrounding potatoes for weight loss, they really are a good nutritional choice. My daily protein goal is 90 g to 100 g which means focusing on lean meats, Greek yogurt, fish, cheese, nuts, and protein powder. I work in carb in the form of vegetables, fruits and home baked goods. It's easy to boost the protein value of home baked goods by adding nuts, using alternative flours and adding protein powder.
  • Wahlrac
    Wahlrac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been having some health issues lately and my doctor suggested that I may have a sensitivity to wheat and other things. So, on her advice, I did some research then did a three day cleanse. After my cleanse I eliminated coffee, processed sugar, dairy, and gluten. I have been off of all these things for a couple of months now and am slowly adding them back in (one at a time) to see who the culprit is. So far, my body is loving this and I have way more energy, I feel like I can run forever and my "issues" have subsided quite a bit. I have also lost 8 pounds without even thinking about it (Obviously it's from the restrictive diet) but I feel so much better. My joints don't hurt anymore either! I feel that processed sugar and gluten seem to bring out the negative side effects for me. I think that everyone needs to find what works for them personally. And before I get pounced on, I will be avoiding processed sugar and gluten from now on since I know that when I eat them I feel like crap.

Don't know if this helps you or not but maybe you need to do some research and figure out what will work for you.

in health and happiness.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Why do you hate vitamins and fiber?
  • jmv7117
    Options

My radar goes off when someone has to resort to name calling to get their point across ;)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

My radar goes off when someone has to resort to name calling to get their point across ;)

I tongue in cheek called him doctor - not really name calling.

Anyway weren't you the one who promised to put me on ignore?
  • jmv7117
    Options

I tongue in cheek called him doctor - not really name calling.

Anyway weren't you the one who promised to put me on ignore?

Nope. I enjoy a bit of entertainment :) My previous comments to you were regarding your empty diary. Carry on. Cheers!