I'm Bulletproof

Options

Replies

• lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's great this is working for you, but it would never work for me. I have gallstones and skipping breakfast is a big no no. I need to get something substantial in me to get my digestive system going right away in the morning. That way the stones don't have a chance to get larger before they're flushed out. Fasting doesn't really work for me...it will come back to bite me in butt. What does work for me is making sure I get breakfast every day, drinking lots of water, and cutting out MOST deep fried or greasy food.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    In to get bashed, too, I guess...LOL!

I do intermittent fasting, as well. I have an eating window of 10 hours, from 11 am to 9 pm, with (usually) only coffee with almond/coconut milk between 5 am and 11 am. It's been working for me for over a year, now. :)

And I eat 2600 cals/day to maintain, so I'm still eating all the food I want, without ANY limitations. Why bash what's working for someone? Do what works for you and let others do what works for them.

OP: Best of luck!

Why are you on the defensive? There has not been one post in this thread that has been bashing the OP.

agreed...no one has bashed anyone...well except for the person who posted the post in the original quote.

Reread the OP's first line and you'll get the joke...hence the "LOL" part of my first line.

Or maybe you won't...I'm not for everyone. And that's okay. The good people on my FL get me, and that's really all that matters to me on this site.

I :heart: all y'all, regardless.

Ah ok. Sorry its hard to tell sarcasm sometimes when you are reading a comment on a forum. No worries.
  • itsmedosia
    Options
    Hello Chelsilu,

I did something similar called "Anabolic Diet" and loved it. I have gained the most muscle mass (I do lift weights) during that time than ever before, BUT I have also gained some fat as well. Perhaps my calorie intake was too high? How do you figure out your calorie intake while eating this way? Would appreciate some input!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't really like butter

Wait what? I don't understand.

I've never been big on butter. I use it in baking and maybe on potatoes but that is about it.
    I don't really like butter

Wait what? I don't understand.

That's like saying you don't like bacon...sacrelige

Oh god, I would never say I don't like bacon! That is one of my favorite foods.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Before I say anything else: OP, congratulations on your success so far, and I wish you continued success, health, and happiness. It's great that you've found an eating style that works for you. Honestly.

That said:
    ...but I seriously wonder if it's not a self punishment for gaining weight as some sub-consious level...no joke...

A lot of these weight loss techniques have a penitential quality about them, to be sure. I think you're on to something here.

The other thing I see a lot on this board and others like it - not singling out this post by any means - is the appeal of gnosticism, or secret knowledge. "Everyone else has been misleading you, but come to our way of thinking and discover the truth that they don't want you to know. We'll reveal how you're REALLY supposed to eat and live."
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    in for interests sake and because it's a slow day at work. :smile:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

As for the bulletproof term, that's just a trademark of some guy who started the whole thing. I don't get the need for the terminology either. His system is also pretty complex and rigid. I actually eat in a similar manner, but I just mind my macros. I don't go to extremes. If I can fit a food into my macro goals, I'll eat it.

Well, exactly. I think this is a sales pitch being masked as a real post. That's why all her previous posts are private, as well as her profile. I doubt she will respond here. Graze did this same thing a while ago only they weren't promoting a fad diet.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Usain Bolt ate fried chicken wings for breakfast on the day he won Gold in Beijing 2008. He didn't drink coffee with organic coconut oil on a vegan diet.

Moral of the story:

You can eat whatever you want as long as you are responsible, hard-working and dedicated to your goals.

I would eat chicken wings for breakfast every day if it would make me run like him.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Why would you add butter to coffee for calories when you could eat something yummy like yoghurt, or eggs with avocado and cheese... It'd still be carb free if that's your thing.

But I agree with everyone else.
    Why are you torturing yourself?
    Eat what you want at a calorie deficit.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Or you can just eat whatever you want while watching your calorie intake and lose 2 lbs a weeks, aka the same amount you lost.

But hey, whatever works.

+1

+3
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So, I realize that most posts are going to be extremely negative, because, for some reason, they always are. Regardless, I want to share MY method of successful fat loss with you.

To start off, I had been vegan/ highly raw vegan for two years because my doctor told me I had high cholesterol (which, as it turns out, was a good thing - listen to or read: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/69-clearing-up-cholesterol-with-jimmy-moore/). I did a lot of research recently on the myths of cholesterol and realized that it's one of the most heart-protective substances in our bodies.

I was tired, weak, and I was gaining weight. Over the course of 2 years, I gained about 20lbs. I was working out for an hour a day, 5 days a week. I was doing cardio and strength training. Being insulin resistant and taking in tons of carbs (lots of fruit), I was sending my body into fat-storing mode every single day.

I did the Master Cleanse for 36 hours (it was awful so I quit). At the end of my "cleansing" period, I completely turned my "diet" upside down. I put diet in quotations because it's not really a diet, it's just a style of eating. I'm not fad-dieting, I'm eating this way for life. I just happen to be shedding inches left and right.

I cut out all grains and flipped the food pyramid upside down, basically.

The biggest eye popper: 50% of calories in my diet come from high quality fats (organic, unrefined coconut oil, organic raw coconut butter, organic grass-fed butter, organic avocados, and organic, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil). My goal is to eat fat to burn fat.

Every morning, I drink 2 cups of coffee blended with 2 tbsp of grass-fed butter and 2 tbsp MCT oil (Now Foods brand). That sounds repulsive to any coffee snob, being one myself, but I assure you, it's delicious. I used to always drink my coffee black and I will never go back. I don't eat breakfast in the morning because it takes my body out of the state of ketosis which is responsible for burning fat as energy. It's a form of intermittent fasting, only better, because I consume fat with no carbs during that time. My brain power is also boosted throughout the day because of the combination of fat+caffeine. I used to force feed myself a carbohydrate filled breakfast every morning because I was raised to think that it was vital for energy and brain power. Ever since I stopped, I am able to see that that "fact" was actually a presupposition. By skipping breakfast, I am not starving myself, I am providing my body with vital energy through the habitual drink I already consumed (and would never be able to forsake).

Around noon-2pm, I eat protein, fat, and minimal carbs. Usually, my meal consists of half of an avocado, 2 soft boiled, pastured+fertile eggs, and a serving or two of steamed veggies. A couple of hours later, I'll have a hand full of presoaked nuts and some steamed green, coconut oil covered vegetables for snacking. At this point, I'm still ketogenic.

My dinner provides the needed carbohydrates, it consists of steamed (different combinations of) brussels sprouts, cabbage, celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach. I eat at least 4 servings of vegetables during dinner time. My protein comes from (slow cooked) fat-filled grass-fed beef, wild low mercury fish, bison, or, if available, pastured chicken (with a lot of added fat). Usually, I add in the extra half of the avocado. Right before or right after dinner, I'll have my 1 serving of fruit, usually citrus.

Two days a week, usually back-to-back, I "carb load". I spend the entire afternoon and evening eating high carbohydrate foods instead of just dinner time. I use these two days to refill my glycogen stores. These days, I feel different. My energy is low quality and my mood is bland.

I have done this for 2 weeks and I have already lost a total of 4 inches and 4 lbs. I work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes of vigorous exercise, mainly weight training.

I have never felt better than I do right now. I literally feel bulletproof.

Look into it if you feel stuck. Don't look into it if you think it's bs. It's as simple as that.

:)

I do a much, much simpler version of this, without the expensive and fancy version of these foods and am having a similar result - morning ketosis (just coffee!), small proteiny lunch, reasonable healthy supper with healthy fats and get most of my carbs from veggies. Weekends I have "off", but I don't go crazy. I'm steadily losing an average of 2 pounds a week, and losing inches to go with it. It feels very sustainable long term. I just do the things I have to do in the morning - usually a lot, busy busy. Food is for evening.

I tried vegetarianism for years too. It just seemed to make me fatter.

Also mmmm avocados. For years doing the traditional low fat diet I refused to eat avocados because they were "the highest fat fruit that existed". I finally caved in and ate my first avocado about 2 years ago. I must have been crazy. Those things are delicious!
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Nothing to lose...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    the bulletproof coffee guy is totally gimmicky and his whole site is a sales pitch.

Have you ever considered that the the cholesterol myth is just a myth??
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'll have a hand full of presoaked nuts

What!?
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.

I question the motives of people who abstain from cupcakes and pretend that it isn't unpleasant.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    I'll have a hand full of presoaked nuts

What!?

Gotta pre-soak those nuts.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For people questioning the buttered coffee thing, I have been hearing it's the latest big hipster coffee thing. Or is that the latest yuppie coffee thing? I don't know, I'm so up-hip I make my coffee at home, in a coffee pot.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I question the motives of people who abstain from cupcakes and pretend that it isn't unpleasant.

My motive is pretty simple. I feel like dog poo when I eat stuff like cupcakes and I feel great when I don't. Therefore, I chose to avoid the pleasure of the cup cake to forego the displeasure of feeling like crap. Also, whole foods prepared in a tasty way are very pleasant to eat and satisfying. Your food in no way should be unpleasant.