How much should you tip your professor after finals?

Options

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    According to mine, a case of beer. Which will also be accepted in exchange for good grades...
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    FYI, tipping your prof at the end of a semester is not something a majority of people do.

Things are very different in most other places...a large majority of places actually. Tipping a prof is something that is not done in a lot of places mainly due to the large amount of money that already spent on tuition, ever mind the additional expenses the student has to pay for that has nothing to do with the prof salary or however the university decides to pay them (i.e. books). In NE, that is not the norm since it is the prof job to teach, prepare for class, and make sure I, as a student, get my money's worth out of the course. They are not part of the wait-staff at a restaurant who is making not even 1/3 of minimum wage an hour and relay on my additional graduated at the end of the semester to live. They are there to teach you and prepare you for when you graduate. Period. Nothing more.

Intelligent response.

Susan take notes.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-10367-1395300366-16.gif
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Tipping professors is not a common practice. Every professor or teacher I know chose the profession for the joy of spreading knowledge and the love of their subject not for tips. If they wanted more money they would have chosen a different profession. The link you provided mentions tipping after classes end BUT before the final exams are graded. It sounds more like unethical professors taking money from students trying to buy their grades because they can't pass with their brain. So the starving student who can barely get by will have to actually earn their grade, while the students with a plethora of money gets favored? If that practice becomes common that can lead to there being very corrupt professors in it for the money and not for the teaching. I would like to believe that my professors are there for their passion of the subject they're teaching vs the big tips.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have never tipped a professor in my life. Is this something new?
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    LOL! It is a topic that the STDbrah has manufactured to gain some attention! :laugh: :laugh: He posts threads on tipping one's dentist (please excuse my mistake for saying medical doctor previously, brah) and now, one's professor......and he is actually quite successful at pulling us in to feed his trolling! I guess I have to hand it to you, brah, however begrudgingly. :ohwell:
  • Perplexities
    Options
    LOL! It is a topic that the STDbrah has manufactured to gain some attention! :laugh: :laugh: He posts threads on tipping one's dentist (please excuse my mistake for saying medical doctor previously, brah) and now, one's professor......and he is actually quite successful at pulling us in to feed his trolling! I guess I have to hand it to you, brah, however begrudgingly. :ohwell:

Aw, thanks Susan.

But I think your confused again.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Considering how over paid they and the people running the schools it's ridiculous to even think about tipping them.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    Tipping professors is not a common practice. Every professor or teacher I know chose the profession for the joy of spreading knowledge and the love of their subject not for tips. If they wanted more money they would have chosen a different profession. The link you provided mentions tipping after classes end BUT before the final exams are graded. It sounds more like unethical professors taking money from students trying to buy their grades because they can't pass with their brain. So the starving student who can barely get by will have to actually earn their grade, while the students with a plethora of money gets favored? If that practice becomes common that can lead to there being very corrupt professors in it for the money and not for the teaching. I would like to believe that my professors are there for their passion of the subject their teaching vs the big tips.

No, that would be unethical.

It is the professors job to remain unbiased, regardless of whether they receive a tip or not, the students grades shouldn't be affected.

Some would argue there's a conflict of interest.

I disagree, and no it isn't common place, but it's starting to be more common as you can tell by the posters that actually do tip that are ITT. Some of which tip more than myself.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I tip at least 15% for my science professors because they had to read through all of my bull ****ted lab reports. Online professors I just send cat gifs to during midterms and finals. I'm starting graduate school in the fall though, so I might have to start sending cat gifs more often.
  • edwinjean
    edwinjean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tipping professors? They are professionals, like doctors, lawyers, etc. and receive adequate compensation. Tipping is used to 'level the playing field' a little for underpaid/undervalued occupations (waitress, chambermaid, cab driver). I hold two university degrees and would never dream of tipping a professor or other professional.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love the Journal of Irreproducible Results. I read every issue cover to cover. It is one of the best (most honest) academic journals published. While most academic journals publish arcane statistical trivia with no practical application, the JIR publishes hard-hitting and useful articles such as this one.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I love the Journal of Irreproducible Results. I read every issue cover to cover. It is one of the best (most honest) academic journals published. While most academic journals publish arcane statistical trivia with no practical application, the JIR publishes hard-hitting and useful articles such as this one.
    Well done! :wink: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colleges-universities/2008217-college-students-how-much-should-you.html
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Most of my professors haven't gotten anything but my 2 cents....one professor, though, has gotten more than that.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Tipping professors? They are professionals, like doctors, lawyers, etc. and receive adequate compensation. Tipping is used to 'level the playing field' a little for underpaid/undervalued occupations (waitress, chambermaid, cab driver). I hold two university degrees and would never dream of tipping a professor or other professional.

That's how I see it. I'll tip lesser occupations that people just take make ends meat. Usually they are working through school or fell on hard times and that's the job they had to take to survive. Those people may need a tip to help them get to where they want to be in life. Not someone who spent years in school to choose the profession they wanted. That's what they chose and that's the salary that comes with it. I'm studying to be a neurological surgeon. When I get there I wont be accepting tips because I know what I'm getting into. I will be doing my job for the love of doing my job and the passion of helping people. Professors chose their paths. The only thing they need is appreciation from their students for all the hard work they do. Non-monetary appreciation.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I tip anywhere from 5 - 15% depending on my grade. I find the best time for the tip is right before the final.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    I tip anywhere from 5 - 15% depending on my grade. I find the best time for the tip is right before the final.

I noticed that as well.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    In my experience, wine baskets work better than cash.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Due to the responses I'm feeling like it's neccesary to say that I was joking when I agreed about people tipping their professors.

Also, my professors really did like meeting with me during office hours (and I did not intend that to have a sexual innuendo, not that I didn't giggle at the innuendos).
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No tip. That's there job. I have never heard of tipping a teacher, to me that sounds like bribery. :huh: