large or small breakfast to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am not going to do the multi quote thing here ... I am just going to share what I personally experience. If I eat protein in the morning I don't need to eat until late morning or lunch time...If I eat carbs in the morning I am hungry an hour later...our bodies know when we are hungry...obviously my body will metabolize carbs faster than protein.

I work shift work and my eating habits are different on night shifts than they are on day shifts - on night shifts I am a grazer on day shifts I have a more structured meal plan.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    slice of raisin toast at 0600, workout at 0630 and then plain greek yogurt with berries about 930AM. I eat at least 5 smaller meals daily.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    I wasn't trying to cause trouble.
    Pro tip: Might want to avoid statements like "nasty looking deformed bodies" if you're not trying to cause trouble.

I have a right to my opinions just like the rest of you. If I feel that the body builders I have seen looked that way then it's my right.

I gotta say, if I had the choice of looking like a bodybuilder or someone 50+ pounds overweight.... I know which I'd choose.

And people do have a "right" to be insulting, crass, and totally classless, yes. That is true.

It's a good thing there are more choices.

I knew that about you when you made your first sarcastic statement towards me.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    My foundation and knowledge comes from following the advice of experts in the field just like your come from ETF. Do your own research by checking wtih your doctors and other "reputable" health experts in the field.

My pediatrician when I was a child told my mother I was fine, despite me liking to oddly hang my head to one side. Should she have listened without questioning, I would be dead.

My point is, just because you have a degree, doesn't mean your advice should not be questioned or sought other sources for. Doctors are, after all, human.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    Pro tip: Might want to avoid statements like "nasty looking deformed bodies" if you're not trying to cause trouble.

I have a right to my opinions just like the rest of you. If I feel that the body builders I have seen looked that way then it's my right.

You are indeed entitled to you opinions. The problem is that you try to pass off your misinformed opinion and body complex issues as competent advice. If you think your opinions are worth something, then you better be prepared to be called out and defend them. My opinion? Deal in facts and science.

My opinions are not misinformed. Furthermore, I have never tried to pass off my opinions on others. I merely posted my opinions like the rest of you. I don't have a problem being called out because I don't have any problems calling you out. If you think your opinions are worth anything then you better be ready to back it up with medical and health facts and evidence from the experts in the field.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

You are indeed entitled to you opinions. The problem is that you try to pass off your misinformed opinion and body complex issues as competent advice. If you think your opinions are worth something, then you better be prepared to be called out and defend them. My opinion? Deal in facts and science.

My opinions are not misinformed. Furthermore, I have never tried to pass off my opinions on others. I merely posted my opinions like the rest of you. I don't have a problem being called out because I don't have any problems calling you out. If you think your opinions are worth anything then you better be ready to back it up with medical and health facts and evidence from the experts in the field.

I have yet to see you back yours up, aside from saying "I have a doctor". Link me things so I can take a gander at your facts.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    If this makes me a close minded person then I wear it proudly.
    Duly noted.

By the way, the body shaming of bodybuilders is a nice touch too.

You-Stay-Classy-San-Diego-Anchorman.gif

Some bodybuilders shame themselves!

Evidently, so do some posters on these forums.

Rigger

Evidently, so do those posters who chose to read and complain instead of just skipping over the posts.

I don't skip over posts in which ignorance (needing to be corrected) is being spewed. Nor am I complaining, quite the contrary, I'm highly entertained by your stunning lack of class.

Rigger

Rigger

Then you must be referring to yourself because you are the one that spewed that another poster and I were wrong for our opinions which placed you at the bottom of the stack of class in my opinion.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Soapfan777, please read this study. Understand that even medical doctors have great reservations about their required nutrition education. The people in this thread are not randomly casting aspersions on good doctors and medical professionals attempting to help people improve their lives.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/4/941S.full.pdf+html

Please consider for a moment that dietitians, athletes, isolated populations, medical professionals and other scientists help push nutrition knowledge forward, not just medical professionals alone.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories. There is a lot of truth to that saying about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Breakfast or lack of sets you up for the rest of the day. Breakfast doesn't have to be big. A granola bar with light yogurt works. A mini-bagel with yogurt or fruit and granola or bar also works. Grab a protein bar with fruit. This will curve your hunger throughout the day. You could buy these items beforehand and grab and go in the morning.

Meal timing, size and frequency has little to no effect on weight loss (read: so minute it doesn't matter). Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) is the smallest determining variable when it comes to metabolism.Since you speak of your experience, how do you explain weight loss from intermittent fasting?

Bottom line, burn more calories then you consume. How and when you do it is pretty much irrelevant in weight loss. Law of biological thermodymics.

I don't agree with your assessment because size and timing of meals have much to do with healthy weight loss?

My "experience" led me to believe there are various weight loss methods, not all are healthy. One more time! The point isn't whether or not weight loss is achieve, rather if healthy weight loss is achieved through the method a person chose (i.e. intermittent fasting).

So your "experience" gives you the foundational and scientific knowledge required to determine whether "healthy" weight loss can be achieved? So not eating breakfast, or not eating every 4 hours is unhealthy? How so? And what research have you done or read to come to this conclusion? Please post a link... hopefully not to Dr. Oz

My foundation and knowledge comes from following the advice of experts in the field just like your come from ETF. Do your own research by checking wtih your doctors and other "reputable" health experts in the field.

Experts! Well then it must be true. Do share your sources.

Here's my personal experience - you don't have to eat every 4 hours to succeed at weight loss. If you like eating every 4 hours...by all means do so!! But if eating every 4 hours is an inconvenience, or eating breakfast is not your bag, you should not force yourself a schedule that doesn't fit...that's when people fail, give up and go back to their bad habits. There's no need to make it complicated.

1 - calorie deficit
    2 - try and make the bulk of your diet healthy but don't sweat a few treats here and there
    3 - Exercise!!! Ok or don't, it's not necessary for weight loss but it is necessary for good health. It's a personal choice.
    4 - water
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Then you must be referring to yourself because you are the one that spewed that another poster and I were wrong for our opinions which placed you at the bottom of the stack of class in my opinion.

So if you're opinion is wrong, and I correct your misinformation that makes me classless? Seems legit. :noway:

Rigger
  • Soapfan777
    Options

Considering your body needs about 8 hours of sleep in order to process the food intake, exercise and water, my answer is no.

Good for you but it doesn't change the facts from the experts who are educated and practice health management for a living.

BTW - Many bodybuilders practice unhealthy lifestyles nor do I want to be or look like a bodybuilder. Therefore, if that is your point of reference then I'll pass.

Many people in general practice unhealthy lifestyles, so that point is moot.

You don't have to want to look like a body builder, my point being is they build muscle (which is difficult to do with bad health practices) and achieve great feats by being health conscious. health and fitness is about feeding your body the right nutrients and training to achieve your goals, which is what many people do every single day eating in a timing that doesn't fit your very close minded view.

If the point is moot then why did you bring it up? I couldn't care less about the manner in which body builders formulate their deformed nasty looking bodies unhealthy bodies. Their methods are not healthly at all. Like I previously stated, if that's your point of reference then knock yourself out. I will continue to follow the advice of medical and health professionals who have invested years in the business and not those of bodybuilders. If this makes me a close minded person then I wear it proudly.

Are you for real? You really need to address your nasty unhealthy attitude. Body shaming not cool, ever!

I am very real and I don't need to address my feelings or attitudes about some body builders.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast at all, and I usually don't eat lunch either. I find that as soon as I eat I get hungry so I put it off until dinner usually.
  • biffmon
    biffmon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Try as hard as you can to stay away from carbs in the AM.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Considering your body needs about 8 hours of sleep in order to process the food intake, exercise and water, my answer is no.

Good for you but it doesn't change the facts from the experts who are educated and practice health management for a living.

BTW - Many bodybuilders practice unhealthy lifestyles nor do I want to be or look like a bodybuilder. Therefore, if that is your point of reference then I'll pass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Link to so called experts on your end plz.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    First of all there is something very nasty about your attitude if you're going to body shame any type of idividual, Soapfan777, and it's completely inappropriate here.

I don't feel my attitude is nasty or my comments were inappropiate.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    2r2y7pw.gif
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    First of all there is something very nasty about your attitude if you're going to body shame any type of idividual, Soapfan777, and it's completely inappropriate here.

Therein lies the issue.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Funny what works for one person,doesn't for another.

I love oatmeal & could eat it every morn. Problem is,I'm way more hungry after eating it for breakfast.So I usually have a high fiber bar & fresh fruit.It keeps me full till lunch.
    Whatever works for you. I tried small breakfasts for a few weeks and I was miserable. I would want to cry by the time lunch rolled around. Now I have a bowl of oatmeal made with milk, 200-240 calories depending on what I out it in, and I survive just fine until lunch.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options

I don't feel that the sky is blue today, so it probably isn't.

Seriously Soapfan, if you want to contribute positively to the community, then you might want to think about how you convey your opinions.

Instead of "Body builders are nasty and unhealthy" try... "I do not want to look like a body builder". Just because you don't like how a body builder looks or have met body builders who are unhealthy, doesn't mean that everyone feels that way and that this the general truth of the world.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    We are not wrong just because you don't agree with us. Your body knows when it needs food in order to balance your blood sugar and increase your metabolism. A four hour window is a long time for some people to go without food if their goal is to lose weight.

You are here telling people they are wrong. Where did you get your medical or nutritional degree? No, I don't have one but I follow the advice of those do. How about you?

You are in fact wrong. And lol you questioning other people's credentials when you have none.

You are simply wrong. You are in error. On top of that, your attitude is in the gutter and your body shaming is despicable. Not only do you have no scientific evidence or expertise to fall back on, you also apparently have no record of any kind of success, let alone lasting success.

Take a look at yourself, your scientific knowledge, and (most of all) your actual current state of affairs and success before you ridicule others.

Right back at ya! Your attitude was in the gutter from your very first post to me about you being a mutant. It wasn't necessary to respond that way. Now, you wonder about my attitude. Give me a break! I will ridicule anyone I please just as you and a few other just attempted to ridcule me. Practice what you preach!