large or small breakfast to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Whatever! Just like your source "MAY" help those who skip breakfast to lose weight

There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study

Where do you see such a statement?

I never stated that your article included such statement. The point is it is implied because studies are just that studies. The results are not ment to imply that the results will be the same for everyone.

You did... scroll up. You quoted what I had said and replied as such.
  • icravecontrol
    icravecontrol Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I have breakfast, I'm ravenous the rest of the day. If I hold out till late morning or noon for my first meal, I find I'm more satisfied. I'd go with a small breakfast over a large one since chances are, you'll be wishing you had more calories left closer to dinner time so you can make it through the evening without mindless snacking (but that's just me).
  • Soapfan777
    Options

And you post yet another non peer-reviewed source... did you go to school?

Did you go to school?

You do realize it's ok to admit you're wrong? We'll never know everything and when someone points out we're wrong it's an opportunity to learn.

You're devolving into 6 year old fighting tactics and it's destroying your credibility to argue your point. It's ok to say this is what works for me, but something else may work better for you.

It isn't the point of being wrong. I am fine with being wrong. If you think this then you are wrong and need to go re-read the entire thread again. Why is it alright for others to come at me nasty but you and others have a problem if I respond? Do you have the same postion to those that came at me wrong first?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I have to disagree because it's not the point that your body burn calories just by being alive. The point is it will burn slow and will not burn enough to lose weight.
    [/quote]

no,no,no,no,....no !
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    Whatever! Just like your source "MAY" help those who skip breakfast to lose weight

There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study

Where do you see such a statement?

I never stated that your article included such statement. The point is it is implied because studies are just that studies. The results are not ment to imply that the results will be the same for everyone.

You did... scroll up. You quoted what I had said and replied as such.

I scrolled all the way to the up and it's not there because I never stated such.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    It isn't the point of being wrong. I am fine with being wrong. If you think this then you are wrong and need to go re-read the entire thread again. Why is it alright for others to come at me nasty but you and others have a problem if I respond? Do you have the same postion to those that came at me wrong first?

Clearly you can read, but your comprehension could use some work. I don't think you're tracking this thread very well.

Rigger
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Then you must be referring to yourself because you are the one that spewed that another poster and I were wrong for our opinions which placed you at the bottom of the stack of class in my opinion.

So if you're opinion is wrong, and I correct your misinformation that makes me classless? Seems legit. :noway:

Rigger

But you haven't corrected anything and that is the point. I am still waiting for you to throw the book at me.

Just did in a previous post, also pointed out several studies posted by others.

Here we go again.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1511.full

Maybe that's not your speed though, I could probably find something on the Livestrong blog if you like?

Rigger

BTW - Your research article is date for the year 2000 and mine 2013...but maybe that is your speed though:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20460/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

This study was done on people with metabolic syndrome, so while it is a useful study for people WITH metabolic syndrome, it is not generalizeable to all adults.

I would read the whole study by I don't have access to it, not even through my university library.

Neither is your source!

:noway: I haven't posted any sources. You're confusing multiple posters. You're just a troll. Bye-bye now.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    First of all there is something very nasty about your attitude if you're going to body shame any type of idividual, Soapfan777, and it's completely inappropriate here.

I don't feel my attitude is nasty or my comments were inappropiate.

I suppose if YOU don't see it then it doesn't exist, much like the several studies in this thread that refute your position which seem to have escaped your gaze.

Rigger

itude adjustment starts at home. If you are going to insult me then don't cry foul when it's done to you.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058449

This is not a study.

EVERY single point listed says "MAY".

read. read. read. read. read. read. read. read.

You were quoting in response to me. Perhaps you did it unintentionally, but that's how it reads.
  • cynthis70
    Options
    Best thing about breakfast is to break the fast your body has been in overnight. It's ok to wait an hour before your eat. I start with morning coffee and then eat a healthy breakfast. Include protein, fruit and a good complex carbohydrate. I never would eat breakfast before but now. I have changed. I feel so much better. Hope this helps, glad to meet everyone.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories.

That's not true. Also, your body burns calories just being alive... Unless after the 4 hour Window. ..zombies

I have to disagree because it's not the point that your body burns calories. The point is it will burn slow and will not burn enough to lose weight.

Then I must be a mutant because I go well over 4 hours without eating ALL the time and lost 50 lbs doing so. My key was staying in my calorie limits.

Well you must be a mutant then because I stand by my experience as well. If anyone cares to research then they would find most health experts do not recommend going more than 4 hours without food, especially if a person wants to lost weight. In order to lose in a healthy manner, metabolism must be up. In order for that to happen, the blood sugar level must be balanced. In order for that to happen, a person should each healthy at regular intervals throughout the day. I have lost 45lbs doing it this way on Sparkpeople.com and 5 lbs since joing this board again.

I know people who have lost 50, 100, and more who eat whenever and have gone 4+ hours between meals.

But we must all be special snowflakes.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Poor, poor OP! 5 hours of responses, no real answer. Seriously, 4 hours ya'll!?! Take a step into adult hood, stop fighting with people on the internet, you all have your own opinion. How about you all just walk away?

Eat whatever size breakfast works for you. If a small breakfast gets you through until your next meal, do that. If you need something bigger to avoid feeling starved. DO that! It's a personal choice, and has no real affect on weight loss.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Poor, poor OP! 5 hours of responses, no real answer. Seriously, 4 hours ya'll!?! Take a step into adult hood, stop fighting with people on the internet, you all have your own opinion. How about you all just walk away?

Eat whatever size breakfast works for you. If a small breakfast gets you through until your next meal, do that. If you need something bigger to avoid feeling starved. DO that! It's a personal choice, and has no real affect on weight loss.

Capt Apollo once put this quote up and I kept it because I really liked it.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” ? C.S. Lewis
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Actually there have been quite a few good answers. Unfortunately this thread got hijacked.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    A lot of studies show that skipping meals, especially morning meals is dangerous long term. For those who exercise regularly is not recommended at all. Losing weight can be achieved without having to skip meals "purposely". As for the meal size I'd suggest a balanced portion of not too much and not too little. If you take proper sleep that would mean that your body has been fasting for up to 8hr. So upon waking up its storage is empty. In my diet I strive for more quality rather than quotanty. Maybe a preparation of meals beforehand, or careful planning might help you as well.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can see someone here has way too much time on their hands and thinks they know better than those here who have done years of their own research on this, as well as having success to prove that meal timing is irrelevant.

To the OP, do whatever fits your lifestyle best. I do not have breakfast and have not done so since I was a child.
    I even did intermittent fasting and ate all my food between 6pm and 2am.
    Certainly did not do me any harm and I lost bodyfat and weight while doing so.

I see someone has too much time on their hands for not having the balls to direct her post to the appropiate poster. The timing of meals are as relevant to some as it is irrelevant to others.

I fail to see what having balls might have to do with having too much time on one's hands. Seriously, you are a bore.
    You have hijacked this thread and turned it into some sort of a p*ssing contest. I think it is you who needs to grow a pair and learn when it is appropriate to walk away and quit making an idiot of yourself.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    I can see someone here has way too much time on their hands and thinks they know better than those here who have done years of their own research on this, as well as having success to prove that meal timing is irrelevant.

To the OP, do whatever fits your lifestyle best. I do not have breakfast and have not done so since I was a child.
    I even did intermittent fasting and ate all my food between 6pm and 2am.
    Certainly did not do me any harm and I lost bodyfat and weight while doing so.

I see someone has too much time on their hands for not having the balls to direct her post to the appropiate poster. The timing of meals are as relevant to some as it is irrelevant to others.

I fail to see what having balls might have to do with having too much time on one's hands. Seriously, you are a bore.
    You have hijacked this thread and turned it into some sort of a p*ssing contest. I think it is you who needs to grow a pair and learn when it is appropriate to walk away and quit making an idiot of yourself.

BAM! *high five*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So much fail in this thread..mainly from one person.

OP: eat in a manner in which you are most likely to adhere to your calorie/macro targets and which gives you the most energy throughout the day and for your workouts. That far far exceeds any possible theoretical direct benefit of how you time your meals throughout the day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A lot of studies show that skipping meals, especially morning meals is dangerous long term. For those who exercise regularly is not recommended at all. Losing weight can be achieved without having to skip meals "purposely". As for the meal size I'd suggest a balanced portion of not too much and not too little. If you take proper sleep that would mean that your body has been fasting for up to 8hr. So upon waking up its storage is empty. In my diet I strive for more quality rather than quotanty. Maybe a preparation of meals beforehand, or careful planning might help you as well.

Would be interested in these studies.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

No. This is not correct.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want.

Some days I wake up hungry and I do eat a pretty large breakfast, then downsize it for lunch and dinner.

Most days I just have coffee and don't eat until lunch because I personally prefer large dinners.

In the end, it's about whatever works for you.