Came for support....so disappointed

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am just posting this because I am very disappointed in my experience so far on this message board. I came here for support, just like everyone else has and instead I have been judged, told I was wrong, been called lazy and countless other things. I have been on this weight loss journey for a long time and for the last 18 months I have not lost anything, even when doing everything correctly (and that has been verified by 2 personal trainers that I work with, a nutritionist and my doctor). Because of this, I have decided (after LONG and THOUGHTFUL consideration and much real research) to be prescribed a medication to assist me. And, this is where people get judgemental and quite honestly, downright mean. I understand that for most people calories in/calories out works - and for those of you that it does - that is awesome! I applaud you! Great job on your successes and I truly wish you every success on the rest of your journey. That didn't work for me. We played with calorie intake. We increased and decreased activity level. We increased weights and decreased cardio...then vice versa. Me, along with my trainers and doctor have worked and worked to get the weight to come off and it hasn't. So, as I am starting this medication, I decided to join MFP to get a little support to help me with this journey. That has not been the case. I understand that I am not doing it the traditional way - but I am trying a medical plan to assist in something that I have been struggling with. I am not changing anything - I am continuing to work out, I am continuing to monitor my calories, track and weigh everything I put in my mouth and I am continuing with both of my trainers, my nutritionist and my doctor. I just don't understand why just because I had to ask for help to treat a problem, that makes me any "worse" than anyone else. I am doing the work - I am just not seeing the results and haven't for 18 months. I appreciate all the work everyone else is doing to make themselves better - I just am not getting that same appreciation or support from here - which is what I thought was the whole purpose for this message board. I am not ready to give it up yet...I am hoping that maybe I can find just a few people who can be supportive, but if that doesn't happen, I guess I will just leave the community.

I'm sorry you have had such a negative experience on the forums. No, they aren't supportive or at least the supportive voices get drowned out by the snarkiness and nastiness of others who for whatever reason feel it is their right to behave this way. I think they are just hangry, lashing out willy nilly LOL. Unfortunately, you find this type of thing in most forums. Not that it is right just that's the way it is :(

MFP is an excellent tool that you can use to meet your fitness and weight loss goals. Forum participation is not a requirement and quite frankly the open forums are best avoided if you don't want to deal with the snarky comments. There are groups you can join that are likely a lot tamer than the open forums. You could also add a few friends if you are looking for the support. If you do use the open forums and get a snarky or nasty comment, you can ignore that member by blocking them. Just click the arrow by their name under their picture and click block. It makes the open forums a bit nicer :)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Read more carefully. I said that the MFP method (which is eating at deficit) is how I lost the 45 lbs. but suddenly, about a year into maintenance, the rules for my body evidently changed. I did not change anything, but started to gain while eating at maintenance. Then I tried going back to MFP method. No loss. Tried "eat more to weigh less" and other similar ideas, gained 15 lbs, and I'm still searching. (Btw I never stopped logging)

Technically eating at a deficit will still work for me. The problem is no calculator or device seems to give me a reliable TDEE for MY BODY. And there is no reasonable explanation for why. So if I can find the deficit number. . .

The problem seems to ultimately be that my deficit number will be smaller than anyone seems to think is healthy. For instance, I have been eating about 1400-1450 cals a day for about 8 weeks, while exercising about 35 minutes a day, vigorously ( run 10 min miles or do boot camp style circuit training mixed with strength training). So next I drop down to 1300-1350 a day while exercising. That'll get plenty of people on here worked up.

The point I am trying to make is just that there are a small percentage of us whose bodies don't play by exactly the same rules. I know this because I know how it has been when the "rules" changed! Maybe it's menopause, maybe thermogenesis adaptation , who knows. But for some of us it is real. When you are struggling with this over the long haul it can make you overly sensitive to all the unkind feedback. You can get a bit defensive,as the OP may be. I am just posting to let her know I understand, and hopefully to help others see another point of view. I guess I've always advocated for the underdog. . .

1. have you had your thyroid checked? have you been tested for other conditions like PCOS that can affect the metabolism? If you really are burning that much fewer calories than the calorie calculators predict and you're being realistic about your activity factor, then this could be an indication of

2. if 1. is what's happening, then drugs like phentermine will make the problem worse, not better. e.g. if you have an underactive thyroid, you need thyroid medication to get your metabolism back to where it should be, then you will be able to lose weight on a more reasonable amount of food.

3. if adaptive thermogenesis is the issue, phentermine and low calorie diets will make it worse, not better. You need to eat a lot more and do strength training to rebuild your muscles in that situation... but if you never did any VLCDs it's probably not this

4. are you weighing and measuring everything accurately? YOu may be eating more than you think. You may have been in deficit in spite of overestimating your portions initially, hence the 45lb weight loss followed by a plateau. Weigh your food, cups are not that accurate.

Also, re weight gain at maintenance calories.... how long did you wait before deciding that you're gaining weight? Because after eating at a calorie deficit then returning to maintenance, you can expect to gain as much as 5lb in glycogen and water weight only. It's common for people when switching to maintenance calories to see this gain and freak out, thinking that they're in a calorie surplus, then they're scared they "wrecked" their metabolism. If you're sure that this is not what's going on, and you really are gaining *fat* when you're eating at maintenance,

OR if you suddenly started gaining weight after successfully maintaining.... what changed? Did your activity levels change (e.g. change of a job, not walking as much? - this can lower your TDEE and cause you to start gaining weight on the same number of calories as you previously maintained on.

If you're 100% certain that you measured all your food accurately, and calculated your TDEE correctly with the a reliable calorie calculator, and you were realistic about your activity factor, and your real world results suggest you're burning way fewer calories than predicted (100-200 calories different could be explained by normal biological variation so just subtract this amount from your calorie goal and go from there) - really big differences can be indicative of problems such as underactive thyroid which need to be treated with the right kind of medication. If you're not 100% certain you did all that, then that's what you have to do for a few weeks to see if your weight loss starts again. I know it seems really anal weighing everything you eat, but sometimes that's what you've got to do and plenty of people on this site needed to do that before they succeeded.

I think you missed the first part of my post which answers some of your questions. I am not the OP, just dropped into tell her my story in support of frustration at feeling that nothing works!

Your responses make a lot so sense, though, and are said courteously. I will follow up on the new ideas. I always appreciate pointers from people who post in this manner. Unfortunately this is not a new change. It is a change that started over two years ago, and I have been documenting the struggles. I haven't had thyroid test anytime in the pat 5 years, mostly because I don't have any other symptoms. I do likely have pcos.

Anyway, as far as rude vs helpful but critical posts, I am guessing it is not this kind of post the OP was talking about! This kind of constructive criticism is helpful and thought provoking.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Your first and only mistake is thinking you have to explain yourself to strangers or anyone. Only you can decide what is best for you. Stop looking for validation from bleeps on a screen. "Buck Up!" for Christ sakes!
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you've got the support of your medical community than you are doing the right thing. A lot of people don't know how to put themselves in other's shoes and be supportive. Maybe some of them had some right things to say, you just gotta take it with a grain of salt. If you've had no success for this long with doing things the "right" way (I've often found that what is right for one is not right for the other) then you are right to seek medical help. Best of luck to you!
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people confuse "support" with "agreeing with everything I say no matter how dangerous or silly it is." If you just want people to say yes yes yes to you, you're in the wrong place.
    So true.
  • tammcclure
    Options
    You said "I even count my chips and nuts"

Not meaning to sound like a know it all but are you also accounting for the sodium? Sodium can sometimes cause plateaus according to my dietician. I had to go to her after a hospitalization several years ago when I found out I had thrombophillia. We had to cut out entire types of food from my diet to keep from forming blood clots too easily. She said that sodium is sometimes overlooked as a culprit for being a major contributor to a plateau. Just thought I'd mention it to be helpful.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You said "I even count my chips and nuts"

Not meaning to sound like a know it all but are you also accounting for the sodium? Sodium can sometimes cause plateaus according to my dietician. I had to go to her after a hospitalization several years ago when I found out I had thrombophillia. We had to cut out entire types of food from my diet to keep from forming blood clots too easily. She said that sodium is sometimes overlooked as a culprit for being a major contributor to a plateau. Just thought I'd mention it to be helpful.

Could be! I find it very very difficult to lower sodium since it hides everywhere! Definitely worth a look.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

And thanks for the validation of my numbers! Actually they are only a little below calculator recommendations. But You may be the first random poster who has actually said "smaller people need to eat less and your numbers are reasonable". Rather than ranting on how I am probably putting myself into starvation mode and am stupid to boot!

I agree that my body is still somewhat within rules, but I tend to start these kinds of conversations defending myself against all the people who are likely to point out my eminent demise by starvation!

I'd be a hypocrite not to. My maintenance as calculated by MFP and verified by experience is between 1500-1600 calories.

I agree there's a lot of knee jerk reacting to some of the lower numbers, and I think starvation mode is BS, but now that I think about it, there's been a lot of knee jerk reacting to things in this area my whole life. What's a normal weight for a short person can be startling for someone who is taller, even if our BMI's were similar.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You are wrong.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    “We find comfort among those who agree with us -- growth among those who don't.” - Frank A Clark

That is all.
    I love this ^^^ I think this can be applied everywhere, personal life, work life and even weight loss life. Thanks for posting it :D

Love this quote as well!
    Open mind is all it takes...
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Add more friends and stay off the forums is probably the best advice you will get. Diet pills are controversial in real life so it would be foolish to assume on a site dedicated to calorie in vs calorie out that it would be otherwise.

Being fat sucks, and feeling like you have no support sucks even more but posting topics like this won't garner you a lot of kind words as others have had tremendous success AND support from this site.

So put your big girl panties on and move on from what you consider to be haters/nonsupportive people.

I hope the pills truly help you and that your journey to being a fitter you is successful.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to smoke meth, because it helped you lose weight. That's your business. But, you can't expect everyone here to agree with that and gently support you.

You can make all the excuses you want. This is your life. Live it like you want. Just remember, the world doesn't have to be nice, fair, or respect your choices.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    First of all:
    13362965105_fd3ac2000e_o.jpg

and I completely agree with this:
    I've noticed a lot of people confuse "support" with "agreeing with everything I say no matter how dangerous or silly it is." If you just want people to say yes yes yes to you, you're in the wrong place.

NOt agreeing with everything you say doesn't = being mean.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having this experience. I find that a lot of the members here can be smart-*kitten* instead of finding a nice way to suggest things. I pretty much just stick to my friends on here to ask questions to instead of posting questions on the forums. I DO have a question for you. Have you had a complete blood panel done? I think that would be in order, as you could have something like hypothyroidism going on. I have it and it CAN slow down weight loss, some have more problems from it than others, but that could be a reason.....or something else going on. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked anyway. Also, I am going to send you a friend request. :-)
  • JacqueJo
    JacqueJo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own journey to health and fitness. That should be the end of the discussion, but some people just don't know when to stop talking. Ignore the haters and do what works for you. In the end, doing what works for you will make you prouder of your end results. ...a lesson I am still learning. Good luck!
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Been here for almost 2 years. I've read everything on the forums and I've learned A LOT. Most of the people I listened to were snarky. They gave the information, had no time for excuses, but they were most encouraging when you were open to changing your mind.

I have lost over 100 pounds and I have another 35 or so left. Without those people, I would still be eating < 1200 calories and killing myself with tons of cardio. Never going back there.

But, if you feel like people are being mean - as others have said - add like minded friends to your profile and stick to groups.
    THIS!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I've been plateaued/ gaining for over two years while supposedly eating at a deficit. I have run every calculator on the web, and I have tried a deficit from 250-750 calories. I think this covers a reasonable margin of error. I have tried a "reset" and thus gained 15 lbs. NOTHING is working for me either. I bought a new food scale. I weigh, I measure, I even count my chips and nuts. I work out. Usually six days a week. 4 days of circuit training with a lot of strength and 2 days of cardio, usually running. I used a heart rate monitor. I now use a Bodymedia. I have figured net calories and eaten back exercise calories. I have used the %off TDEE method. I tried straight lifting for awhile. I am human, so I'm sure that my logging of both food and exercise is not 100% accurate, but I have tried various deficits! and I should at least be seeing a small loss! not as gain! Currently I am just including a margin of error in my deficit/goal.

Nothing works. NOTHING. (And it used to work. Four years ago I lost nearly 45 lbs using MFP reccomendations. I am still maintaining a healthy weight, but I am unhappy with regaining 15 lbs and not being able to lose it.)

So I certainly understand your frustration. And people on the boards are not kind about this. (Please don't tell me I eat too little--the calculators say I should maintain at 1490 cals for sedentary, so anyone with half a brain can do the math for creating a deficit. Small, low body weight people simply don't burn many calories, even when you add in more exercise ise cals--say 150-200 more a day.)

I personally would not want to try a stimulant, especially since heart issues are all over my family tree, but I would think this has more to do with your doctors recommendations for YOU and no one else. My biggest question would be, and I think you pointed this out--will the metabolism boost from the meds remain when you stop the meds. Very valid question.

I would echo the good advice of several--try to ignore the idiots on the boards who have not been taught basic social skills, sift comments carefully, and add friends carefully who will help you. Add me if you like. I don't have the answers but I am searching and I love hearing new ideas that are presented I a courteous manner.

how did you lose 45 pounds if calorie deficit does not work for you???

Read more carefully. I said that the MFP method (which is eating at deficit) is how I lost the 45 lbs. but suddenly, about a year into maintenance, the rules for my body evidently changed. I did not change anything, but started to gain while eating at maintenance. Then I tried going back to MFP method. No loss. Tried "eat more to weigh less" and other similar ideas, gained 15 lbs, and I'm still searching. (Btw I never stopped logging)

Technically eating at a deficit will still work for me. The problem is no calculator or device seems to give me a reliable TDEE for MY BODY. And there is no reasonable explanation for why. So if I can find the deficit number. . .

The problem seems to ultimately be that my deficit number will be smaller than anyone seems to think is healthy. For instance, I have been eating about 1400-1450 cals a day for about 8 weeks, while exercising about 35 minutes a day, vigorously ( run 10 min miles or do boot camp style circuit training mixed with strength training). So next I drop down to 1300-1350 a day while exercising. That'll get plenty of people on here worked up.

The point I am trying to make is just that there are a small percentage of us whose bodies don't play by exactly the same rules. I know this because I know how it has been when the "rules" changed! Maybe it's menopause, maybe thermogenesis adaptation , who knows. But for some of us it is real. When you are struggling with this over the long haul it can make you overly sensitive to all the unkind feedback. You can get a bit defensive,as the OP may be. I am just posting to let her know I understand, and hopefully to help others see another point of view. I guess I've always advocated for the underdog. . .
    yes, I read the post..I just don't understand the contradictory language…if you lost 45 pounds that means calorie deficit does in fact work for you ..but then you turned it around to say that some of us are different and strict adherence to calories and a deficit may not work …so that just confused me..

I would suggest following neander's advice as it is always solid.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I could not agree with your use of diet pills - this is true.

If me disagreeing with your use of chemicals is disappointing - OK. We can agree to disagree!
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you would like friends. These message boards can be bad, take it with a grain of salt.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

1. have you had your thyroid checked? have you been tested for other conditions like PCOS that can affect the metabolism? If you really are burning that much fewer calories than the calorie calculators predict and you're being realistic about your activity factor, then this could be an indication of

2. if 1. is what's happening, then drugs like phentermine will make the problem worse, not better. e.g. if you have an underactive thyroid, you need thyroid medication to get your metabolism back to where it should be, then you will be able to lose weight on a more reasonable amount of food.

3. if adaptive thermogenesis is the issue, phentermine and low calorie diets will make it worse, not better. You need to eat a lot more and do strength training to rebuild your muscles in that situation... but if you never did any VLCDs it's probably not this

4. are you weighing and measuring everything accurately? YOu may be eating more than you think. You may have been in deficit in spite of overestimating your portions initially, hence the 45lb weight loss followed by a plateau. Weigh your food, cups are not that accurate.

Also, re weight gain at maintenance calories.... how long did you wait before deciding that you're gaining weight? Because after eating at a calorie deficit then returning to maintenance, you can expect to gain as much as 5lb in glycogen and water weight only. It's common for people when switching to maintenance calories to see this gain and freak out, thinking that they're in a calorie surplus, then they're scared they "wrecked" their metabolism. If you're sure that this is not what's going on, and you really are gaining *fat* when you're eating at maintenance,

OR if you suddenly started gaining weight after successfully maintaining.... what changed? Did your activity levels change (e.g. change of a job, not walking as much? - this can lower your TDEE and cause you to start gaining weight on the same number of calories as you previously maintained on.

If you're 100% certain that you measured all your food accurately, and calculated your TDEE correctly with the a reliable calorie calculator, and you were realistic about your activity factor, and your real world results suggest you're burning way fewer calories than predicted (100-200 calories different could be explained by normal biological variation so just subtract this amount from your calorie goal and go from there) - really big differences can be indicative of problems such as underactive thyroid which need to be treated with the right kind of medication. If you're not 100% certain you did all that, then that's what you have to do for a few weeks to see if your weight loss starts again. I know it seems really anal weighing everything you eat, but sometimes that's what you've got to do and plenty of people on this site needed to do that before they succeeded.

I think you missed the first part of my post which answers some of your questions. I am not the OP, just dropped into tell her my story in support of frustration at feeling that nothing works!

Your responses make a lot so sense, though, and are said courteously. I will follow up on the new ideas. I always appreciate pointers from people who post in this manner. Unfortunately this is not a new change. It is a change that started over two years ago, and I have been documenting the struggles. I haven't had thyroid test anytime in the pat 5 years, mostly because I don't have any other symptoms. I do likely have pcos.

Anyway, as far as rude vs helpful but critical posts, I am guessing it is not this kind of post the OP was talking about! This kind of constructive criticism is helpful and thought provoking.

sorry for any confusion, this thread is confusing lol... yep I think I got you and the OP confused

anyway glad you found some of what I posted helpful!