Came for support....so disappointed

Options

Replies

• HollyB1223
    HollyB1223 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am at a plateau, Branston - I have added in things to see what I can make work. Running stairs and pushups in rotation to the usual treadmill time, is my latest addition. I tried jumping jacks and jump rope but my feet won't take the jumping. One thing is for sure. I need to face up to the fact this is a long term commitment. And, I need to go clothes shopping. The smaller sizes in my closet are not going to fit me for quite some time.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Most people don't feel like wasting their time supporting someone who is obviously lieing. What you are describing is medically impossible. If it isn't a lie then some piece of information you have been given is not true.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi Coop,
    I have just joined this forum in the last few days. I also have been put on medication by my Doctor as I could not shift my weight no matter what I did. I have tried different diets and none would work for me either. Remember Doctors are not going to hand out medication for no good reason. This medication is a helping hand ALONG with a diet, so you are not being lazy as you still have to diet as much as the next person. In fact I would say it is not an easy option using meds as anyone who has been on these meds know WHAT HAPPENS if you don't keep to the low fat diet. The side effects are very unpleasant, even a small slip up has bad consequences. There is no shame in asking for help when it is needed. Do not let other people put you off by negative comments. As you said, this forum is for support.

Good luck with your weight loss.
    Hannah

Hannah, I just joined a few days ago too. I posted a thread about being on medication. This site, MyfFtnessPal, I found out is NOT the place to talk about being on medication that was prescribed by your doctor. You are not lazy! You are doing your best.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't know who you are, but I feel the same as you do. I have been working hard for the past 3 months, doing things "right" and am so frustrated with lack of progress.

Our bodies get very, very well adapted to holding on to extra pounds. I cannot lose weight. I can get fit. I can cut calories! But my body will not lose weight.

Very frustrated, here. Kind of angry that other folks do not seem to be honest that my same situation applies to many very hard working ladies who are doing things RIGHT, yet see no results from their honest efforts.

The body usually plateau after getting used to the same exercise. Have you switched up on your exercise like add more time to cardio and more weights to strength training?
    IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

Well, my body plateaued after I lost 30 lbs. doing the same routine. I consulted a certified trainer and followed her recommendations. I added 10 extras minutes to my cardio and 5 extras lbs. for weight training and I started losing again.
  • aa1526
    aa1526 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Coop,

Sorry I forgot to say, people should consider that some medication makes you put on weight, loose weight AND just stops your body from loosing weight no matter how hard you diet or exercise. Some people have a medical condition and cannot do exercises.

Hannah
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I don't know who you are, but I feel the same as you do. I have been working hard for the past 3 months, doing things "right" and am so frustrated with lack of progress.

Our bodies get very, very well adapted to holding on to extra pounds. I cannot lose weight. I can get fit. I can cut calories! But my body will not lose weight.

Very frustrated, here. Kind of angry that other folks do not seem to be honest that my same situation applies to many very hard working ladies who are doing things RIGHT, yet see no results from their honest efforts.

The body usually plateau after getting used to the same exercise. Have you switched up on your exercise like add more time to cardio and more weights to strength training?
    IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

Well, my body plateaued after I lost 30 lbs. doing the same routine. I consulted a certified trainer and followed her recommendations. I added 10 extras minutes to my cardio and 5 extras lbs. for weight training and I started losing again.
    weight loss isn't linear, so expecting loss to magically start again just because you add 10 minutes of cardio is kinda silly. same for adding more weight. you aren't fooling your body.

If it was 6 weeks or more at the same weight... with logging accurately... and no loss... then it wasn't that you were at a plateau, it was that you found your maintenance calories... and the added workouts brought you back into a caloric deficit.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    At the beginning we all believe that we are doing everything right and "it's just not working," and then all we can think of is "I definitely have *insert issue that prevents you from losing weight* and that's why I won't lose anything." Just pay close attention to what you are eating, get an HRM to monitor your cardio workouts (not strength training) as well. Also, open your diary so people can offer you better advice. One time I looked at a friend's diary and she had 1 g of peanut butter. Really? That's impossible. Maybe she was not cheating herself, but she just didn't know anything about accurate measurements, and she was definitely not weighing her food. In the forums people tend to highly disagree with diet pills because it's not worth it to spend all your money on pills (that can harm you as you can see) when you can do it without spending crazy amounts of money, in fact, you'll be saving money by purchasing less food since that's all you have to do. Eat less, move more. When I stopped cheating myself I started losing weight, and I believe this applies to many people in the forums.
  • Branstin
    Options
    Yes, I am at a plateau, Branston - I have added in things to see what I can make work. Running stairs and pushups in rotation to the usual treadmill time, is my latest addition. I tried jumping jacks and jump rope but my feet won't take the jumping. One thing is for sure. I need to face up to the fact this is a long term commitment. And, I need to go clothes shopping. The smaller sizes in my closet are not going to fit me for quite some time.

What about weight training? Did you add any? I want to drop another 4 lbs. then I will start with the weights. Don't feel like you have to go it alone. Add friends ..me if you like.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Also, I can't understand why some of you are being so downright mean to the person that started this thread. There are different ways of doing things. Please be nice. She posted that she is disappointed that people are not being supportive. Then some of you threw cruel insults at her. Why? Is there something in it for you to be mean? This woman was prescribed medication by her doctor. If you feel that it was wrong of her doctor to give her medication, then move on. Go beat a pillow. Or do something constructive for yourself. She does not need to be shot down. All she asked for was for you to be supportive. No need to tear her down and be destructive. We are here to help each other, not to be cruel. Please, be supportive.
  • Branstin
    Options

IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

weight loss isn't linear, so expecting loss to magically start again just because you add 10 minutes of cardio is kinda silly. same for adding more weight. you aren't fooling your body.

If it was 6 weeks or more at the same weight... with logging accurately... and no loss... then it wasn't that you were at a plateau, it was that you found your maintenance calories... and the added workouts brought you back into a caloric deficit.

I won't pertain to be an expert at this but I wasn't trying to fool my body. My point was to challenge it more which is working. As silly as it may have been, I was glad the weight started coming off again.
  • trogalicious
    Options

IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

I won't pertain to be an expert at this but I wasn't trying to fool my body. My point was to challenge it more which is working. As silly as it may have been, I was glad the weight started coming off again.

...and how long were you at this plateau?
  • bethcox16
    bethcox16 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    this whole thing might be like what the secret eaters program is trying to prove. you may be unknowingly eating a lot more calories than you realise...
  • mommytobeinky
    mommytobeinky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 10 pounds in 2 months. I have never found it so hard to lose weight. I know how frustrating it is especially when you eat right and exercise and the pounds just aren't coming off. Sorry for you bad experience.
  • Branstin
    Options

IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

A month.....

If I understand correctly, you are saying if I had eaten less but remained with the same exercise time, I would have started to lose anyway?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 10 pounds in 2 months. I have never found it so hard to lose weight. I know how frustrating it is especially when you eat right and exercise and the pounds just aren't coming off. Sorry for you bad experience.

ONLY??????? that is just over a pound for week …what is wrong with that?/

I swear people think they can just go from obese/overweight/etc to fit in a month ….

It has taken me seven years of hard work and dedication tone to 12% body fat….a lot of trial and error along the way..
  • trogalicious
    Options

IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

A month.....

If I understand correctly, you are saying if I had eaten less but remained with the same exercise time, I would have started to lose anyway?
    Since the whole thing is a math equation... in all likelihood, yes.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

that's actually great!!! 5 pounds per month is a large, healthy and sustainable number. Congrats. We didn't put the weight overnight so we aren't going to lose it all overnight!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    the 'chit'chat' forum is where the morons and imbeciles reside. i wouldn't go there looking for any sort of help or encouragement.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Some of the same issues come up multiple times a day. I've collected some of the ideas I thought were best on how to start here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am thinking of just googling for answers even if sometimes answers on google are vague, too generalized and isnt based on anyones experience,