So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I started running competitively as a child. I've literally probably ran a million miles.

My advice is START SLOW. It's just like being on a weight loss journey - slow and steady & stick to what you can handle (for me it was lots of walking at first) and you'll do it healthy and won't get frustrated or discouraged :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I hear from a lot of people who think that they are too fat to run. They try it, it's hard, and they think that the reason is due to weight. It's not, running is just hard when you start. There is no way around it. The advice from OP is universal, because the issues are universal. Slow down, be patient, it WILL get easier.

This. A thousand times this. If it's hard, it's because you are going too fast. It's not because you are fat or old or genetically incapable. It just takes time. And you will give yourself the time by slowing down.
  • Oh_Em_Jayyy
    Oh_Em_Jayyy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    tagging for later reference!
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As someone who has run for 25+ years, I just want to say bravo. I had assumed that I would find tons to disagree with her, but you basically nailed it.

FWIW, I'm probably an overstrider (or have been told I am) but would say that if you are comfortable with your stride and don't have injuries, then just stick with what works. I look at my long legs and stride as an advantage.

Bumping this so more can see it. Even experienced runners can learn something.
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Nice summary for new runners! Thanks for the post
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump for the wisdom
  • varuca1
    varuca1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Still wondering why this hasn't been pinned.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    in for future tips
  • kabanken
    kabanken Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome info - thanks! Bumping for future reference.
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you. Great post and I will take this advice. I'm fat, I'm slow, but I'm motivated with a goal. I'll be a runner yet, and this will help me get there.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    bump to read later (work just got busy)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    amen
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and looking at prices of running sneakers and clothes. Yikes! I definitely need to shop around to get the sneakers I need but for the best price. I am going to go get fitted to see what I need. (Maybe Sat if I have time)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and looking at prices of running sneakers and clothes. Yikes! I definitely need to shop around to get the sneakers I need but for the best price. I am going to go get fitted to see what I need. (Maybe Sat if I have time)

Clothes - I buy them off season. Buy a piece or two on cheap winter stuff during the spring sale and vice versa. It isn't long before you have a base built up. Lots of the store like Walmart and Target have cheap running gear. I do find a difference (I am in Canada so that may factor in) in quality/how long it lasts, but it is definitely good enough to use. I started out running in tshirts I had and using layers of hoodies I already owned for the winter. Occasionally I invest in one or two good things, like a nice pair of winter tights, they are worth the money.

Shoes - last season's model of the same shoe is always an option. I have saved tons of money doing this. My last pair were 50% off, same model, just last year's colour.
    Some people get fitted then search the shoe online to find a cheaper version. I also try to hit outlets when I am travelling. I've gotten some great deals on two pairs of my shoe when visiting the outlet (if you can find one).
    But if worse comes to worse, sneakers are the one thing you invest in. If you find a good pair and they work for you, it is very worth it.
    To me, sneakers are the spot to spend the money. The rest of the stuff you can skimp by.
  • smitty031
    smitty031 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have committed as well to a 5 k in June. It will be my first. (Chase Corporate Challenge). Im now in week 5 day 2 of the C25K and this week is pivotal. I never thought Id be able to run 8 minutes. In. A. Row. Day three is a flat out run. I've never been a runner and now all I think about is when I can run again...