WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening all! We are getting snow at the moment. HUGE flakes and lots of them, but it's not sticking. The temp has dropped from 53 earlier today to about 33 now. We got rained on when we walked the dogs and could feel the temp dropping.

I got my teeth cleaned today then went shopping for a birthday dress for my granddaughter. It's hard to find anything to fit her because she is very, very short for her age but somewhat large in the tummy. She has outgrown size 16 girls. I found a couple of dresses at Penneys in a size 18 1/2 girls, which seems to be unusual. I hope they fit. I also found a ladies long top at Macys that I thought she could wear as a dress, maybe with a little belt. I thought I'd get her some leggings and a tank top to wear under it. And I got a matching flower clip for her hair and a set of bracelets. I was having so much fun, once I found something I thought would work.

I finally got up the nerve to go inside Chico's today! I did not try on anything though. They have very strange sizing. Size 3 was about equal to a 16, they said. I held up a pair of pants that were a 3 and I thought they were awfully small. The sales lady wasn't even suggesting that I try them on, so I suspect she thought I was too big. But I LOVE the styles they have, and things seem so well made, so when I get closer to my goal I am going back. That will be my big reward.

Carol in NC, we don't have any clothing stores in our town except Walmart. I have to go to Joplin to find real stores. When we go to Winston-Salem I always like to go to Dillard's and Belk, because we don't have them even in Joplin, and I actually consider them to be the upscale stores. I couldn't even imagine anything higher than that.

I finally managed to make the cabbage steak recipe tonight, but I didn't care for it. I like raw cabbage better.

I don't remember if I posted today's joke or not, so here it is, just in case:

:laugh:
    Three men were shipwrecked on a desert island and where captured by the local natives. They were brought to the chief native. The chief gave the men two choices; they could have death or submit to unga bunga. The first man decides he does not want to die, so he chooses unga bunga. Ten of the natives took him into the woods, when he came back one hour later he was all beaten up. The second man chooses unga bunga and he was taken out the woods for 2 hours where the natives beat him up. The third man not wanting to go through all that torture decided upon death. So the chief said ok death by Unga Bunga
    :frown:

Sylvia
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bump to find the thread.

Sylvia, I have not had much luck with items from Chico's. They don't seem to launder well - even with not running them through the dryer. The knit pieces I've tried ended up wide and short and the woven pieces seemed to fall apart. And I don't want the expense of dry cleaning everything, so though I really like the look of their clothing I'm not going to buy any more.

Gail, metro ATL
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    To all you women who don't have the stores you like in your town. Order on line! Once I find a store that I like and I know that the clothes fit me and how they fit me, then I order on line. If you sign up for email notices, you will get lots of coupon deals which may include free shipping. I still get the Blair catalogue in the mail every month because of all the ordering I did for my MIL. There are so many clothes in there that look enticing but I just don't know how the fit is. My sister orders from there and gave me a shirt that she could no longer wear. It was a size large but it fit more like an XL. But yet I know not every item fits big since my Mom and my MIL fit into their correct sizes fine.

Joyce, Indiana
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Another junk eating day! Sigh.:frown: I've pretty much made myself sick for the evening...serves me right! Fortunately, tomorrow is another day.

Carol ... what a dramatic change! You look fantastic!
    Barbie ... Happy Birthday!
    Cynthia ... did not know there was such a thing as an e-bike.

Listening to my son play his guitar ... a nice way to end the day ...

Beth in WNY
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ♥♥♫♪Happy Birthday to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday Dear Barbie !!!!! ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you! ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥

Carol - you look amazing! Congrats on the single digit pants. I can only imagine how great that must feel

Katla - welcome home, glad you arrived safe & sound

Sylvia- good for you for going into Chico's even if you didn't try anything on.

Allison - I'm glad that FIL is being taken care of, hopefully he will get into a permanent place and it helps take some of the stress off of you for at least awhile. Be gentle with yourself.

Tina- loved the poem, thanks for sharing it.

yannie - so very sorry to hear about Gwen. You are such a good friend to her. I'm glad you are doing something fun for yourself.

I've booked my final personal training appt for Thurs before the Cardiofit Box class. It's my last free one that I got with my membership.

Heading to bed early. I'm fed up with this cold weather, it was -18 C this morning...ugh

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Well today was my last Monday to work!!!!!:bigsmile: We have a crazy busy day for Wednesday then Friday should be better and one of our patients is bringing cake to celebrate my last full-time day. I will still be p.r.n. for April and May but no regular work days. I am really looking forward to retirement and have lots of plans for the summer. It is great not to have to ask for time off to do the things I want to do.:happy:

I was a little miffed this morning when I went in and my replacement who was at the pools on Saturday for a class left me a cloudy pool with no bromine in it.:explode: She knew we had patients at 8:30 this morning but decided not to treat the pool as she saw only one pound of shock treatment. :noway: Of course there was 1/2 case of it sitting right in front of her if she had looked. I wonder if she would have made the same decision if it had been her coming in this morning instead of me. Ah well, she is only 23 and needs lots of experience to look at the big picture and look ahead. I think otherwise she will be good with the day to day and she seems to work well with the patients.

Barbie - Happy Birthday tomorrow. Have a great day.:flowerforyou:

Carol - great pictures.

Thanks to whoever posted the daffodils. It makes me believe spring may really come even in SD.

Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi girls It was a nice quiet day at work. We had our celebration for the out-going students. That always gets me….I can hardly speak because of the tears. So that was nice. Other that that I just haven’t been myself lately. I don’t know what exactly is wrong, but I’m trying to start out on a new footing and did well today.

Carol: I see you are being congratulated for being a size 8. Wow that is quite the accomplishment! Later…wow what pictures !!! Inspiring!!!

Pennie: sounds like you have a busy week. Take care

Beth: I hear you on temptations….this entire last week was one giant calorie debauchery for me!

Jan: I am thinking I need that chili recipe!!! I have never had pineapple salsa

Gail: oh my goodness….daffodils!!!

Kim: hot and sour soup is one of my favorites and I tend to like it “vinegar=y”. I’ll have to check that out

Katla: glad you are back home!

Anamika: what a splendid movie and even better that you resisted the popcorn!

Heather; so you strip the chard away from the stem > Hmmmm no wonder it was bitter. We tried some the other day and it had an interesting although bitter taste. I imagine the lemon would be great on it.

Patty: sounds like you have a great plan for the week

Cindy: smoked salmon spinach salad sounds great

DeeDee: I bought a new water glass for work….32 ounces and think of you when I chug it!

Gloria: hope you are back to normal soon

Jill: I too like the idea of practicing maintenance. It’s too disappointing to keep counting the plateaus.

Michele: silken tofu sounds like a great substitute for the oils

Barbie; you have a birthday soon? Hope it’s a great one

Juanita: snow? Oh my goodness

Grandmallie: I hope your FIL does get the care he needs at the new place

Ok girls. I made my goals for today which were to exercise and get my 6000 steps in. Success! Take care everyone. Meg from chilly Omaha
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Meg, glad you got a quiet day, I think everyone goes through those "odd" times. Have you been fine then suddenly weepy, that happened to me a couple of days ago. I blame it on the crazy hormones. The salad was good, but I'm ready to have my kitchen finished.

Barbie, have a terrific birthday!

Sandy, loved the happy birthday song!

Have a great night everyone!

Cindy in OK :heart: :yawn:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Deedee:drinker: thanks for the get-well wishes.

Gail Love love the daffodils Ahh spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth catching yourself!

Kim waiting on finishing taxes. Our state is changing some tax deductions for this year. I agree taxes.:angry:

Anamika thank you for supportive comment. Queen sounds like my kind of movie. Meditation is something I find helpful to keep me balanced.

Patty Cincinnati I agree about cable. My husband wants to watch soccer so to get this we have to get the super package. I wish it had super content.

Yanniejannie prayers for your friend Gwen.:flowerforyou:

Carol love the bargain on pants!

Gloria and Sandy feel your cold weather.:grumble:

Alison sounds a great time at the party.

Barbie your walk sounds spectacular.

Tina Friends Online well said.:smile:

Michele sounds like you might be starting to get sick. I know when I get the chills I am concerned about getting sick. My dad had a saying you want to make sure to keep your core warm. My nieces laughed about how he would wrap scarves around them to make sure their cores stayed warm. Take care. Cucumber soup?

Joyce hope you find the Florida arrangements that are going to work.

Rita happy for your son. I know it is a relief for you!

Kata glad you made it home safely.

Sylvia the shirt in my picture is from Chico’s. I do not shop there often, but I agree they have fun clothes. I do hand wash this shirt. I have learned because it is a dark color not to leave it in the water long. I like it because it is 100% cotton.

Beth you will get back on track!

Sue SD yes youth! They do have a learning curve.

Meg good job today!

Feel much better today. I think what helped me is having a quiet Sunday and eating a healthy diet with minimal sugar. Had a great class today. That helped too. The super stress I have been going through is getting better too. Tomorrow the furnace replacement comes. It will be noisy, My DH said he will stay and I will go to our Art Museum for peace and quiet. Enjoyed watching Dancing with the Stars tonight.

Goal:
    To do something healthy for me today, so I have a healthy tomorrow.
    I said no when someone wanted to trade classes with me. They wanted me to take a more challenging class while they took mine. I felt I paid my dues last Friday.
    2014 word: contentment
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    Pyracantha defeated, and reduced in girth by eight feet. Both eyes intact, and only a little blood spilt. Full-contact gardening! Today, I did body pump, then mowed the lawn. It was almost 70 degrees out! We have an electric mower that is not self-propelled, so it is a work out.

That's all for now. My teenager is being, well, teenager-y and I am tired.
    Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Tina...what a nice poem

Barbie...wishing you a very happy birthday

Carol NC...wow, the pictures. How amazing.

No time for anything else. Goodnight.
    Renny
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I buy those Quacker popped rice snacks. 13 chips is one serving and there are supposed to be 7 servings in the bag. But they are so darn good:sad: I just sat and ate the whole bag full. I like the snack size more than the big individual round ones. I can sit and eat just one of those. Unfortunately I have a bag of the chocolate snack size:cry: I have now eaten more than half of tomorrows calories. But as a diabetic I can't save calories from one day to another, although on the main message boards a lot of them preach doing that in order to enjoy their beer guzzling weekend fun

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Barbie – Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear Barbie, Happy Birthday to you! wish I knew how to add notes!

just checking in - I almost finished my taxes - about 30 more minutes and it will be done, but I looked up and it was 6pm, had to leave by 6:10 for my book club - thank goodness I had walked and done a couple of hours of gardening - as I grabbed dinner from McD's... BAD BAD BAD - I stayed within calories but am going to bed hungry :explode: :angry: :grumble:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARBIE :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker:
    well I didn't sleep well last night, couldn't be all the sugar I consumed:grumble:
    my FIL finally got to the place at 6:40 last night , I didnt end up going over there last night but will go see him this morning before work..
    my SIL will be going over there today to do paperwork so I will have her bring his walker and his glasses, and the DH said that Iris should tell him that he is staying there.
    once she does the paperwork,I think that will be her last time there, one he is out of her hair,why bother....I could be wrong but, usually I am spot on...
    got up at 3 a.m. , will get the DH dinner together and maybe go for a racewalk.. and crap we are getting snow tonight and into tomorrow
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I dreamed of barbells. :laugh:

Have a good day,
    Cynthia
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Hello this Morning. We're still trying to adjust to Hubby's schedule, we making progress. :tongue: If we could just get the sleeping thing straight.

Have gained 7lbs back, :embarassed: that comfort food eating will get you every time. Trying to get back on track.

Have missed talking to everyone. Hope all is well.

Take Care and Have a Blessed and Wonderful Day! :flowerforyou:

Tina in Florida
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to All,
    Didn't do so great on the food logging, I did log breakfast and lunch but nothing the rest of the day. I also ate more than what I planned.
    I have to work both jobs today so won't be home until around nine. I really want to stop working the front desk at the Y and only do personal training and classes. I've worked the desk for nine years now but as I've lost weight I've found it harder and harder because I already sit all day and at job one and adding 3-4 more hours of sitting messes me up.
    Off now to log my food and get to work.

Barbie NW Washington, Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoyed your walk and your visit. I’m so looking forward to some warmer weather and outdoor exercise.

Tina MD, I so know what you mean about snacks and Girl Scout cookies, they are all over the office. The GS’s are even set up in our local grocery store selling cookies.

Michele in NC, I am trying the silken tofu, that’s a great idea.

Kim N CAL, thanks, let me know, I am always looking for low sodium alternatives.

Sylvia, We have snow in the forecast but nothing so far.

Hope everyone has a good healthy day, prayers for those in need.

Patty, Cincinnati
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie:smile::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy Birthday:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!! May your day be filled with all things (and people) you love:heart: !

Tina in MD:smile: Love the poem:love: !

Tina in FL:smile: So glad to see you back:flowerforyou: ! Once you get back on track you`ll get those 7 pounds off:bigsmile: !!!

Cynthia:smile: Dreaming of barbells:laugh: , did you get a good workout in:huh: ?

Alison:smile: I hope your FIL will enjoy his new home, I`m sure it will take some getting used to:flowerforyou: !

Margaret:smile: coffee:drinker: and water:drinker: ! Have a great day!

Have an early meeting this morning:angry: ! Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where it is supposed to snow and rain today:angry::grumble: :frown:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning,

Just popping in to wish Barbie a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY (before I forget). Hope your day is as awesome as you!

Be back in a bit....

xoxo
    Gloria in (still freezing cold) Metro Detroit