Replies

• mnider
    mnider Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to remove or correct inaccurate entries that come up with the barcode scanner, or add them if they are missing for that matter? I would love to correct a few of my common foods :)

Goog question, I believe if you go to the technical forums that could be done or if by saying No it's not correct it might flag something...
  • mkcolombia
    mkcolombia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump! now if only we could delete the 100 duplicate entries!
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I wish they'd include the asterisks and confirmations on the app version of MFP. I use my phone or iPad to log my food and I hate that I can't see this info there.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    way too much information for a beginner and quite overwhelming. the fact that im even logging my food is good enough for me. all this technical stuff....I just cant. not right now anyway. looking at all that made me want to eat a whole turkey

Yes it can be quite over whelming...I knew that when I was writing it up...

This website has so many tools available that I am sure even some Vetran users aren't aware of them all...I am still learning.

Logging is of course the first step...and once you are comfortable with that this is when this type of information can be useful.

Now don't go eat a whole turkey imagine the nap you would have after that...:bigsmile:
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I wish they'd include the asterisks and confirmations on the app version of MFP. I use my phone or iPad to log my food and I hate that I can't see this info there.

I think in the case of the app adding USDA to your search would help

ETA: it does however has a my foods tab so if there is stuff you freqently use you could create the entries for your phone app.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for taking the time to post and explain this in such detail.

I look for your posts because you have such great insight and valuable information that you pass on so generously.

Thanks again!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

If however you wish to just go to that site and search for you food here is the link

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Another good site for information is

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Thanks, these websites will come in handy
  • lenksa77920
    lenksa77920 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, it's very helpful. I'm trying hard to be more accurate with logging. Just a question, how do you measure the licks, bites, tastes etc? That's one area where I know I could do better but I just can't wrap my head around how to do it.

There in lies the rub doesn't it..

in order to not have to log "bites" of food I just don't do it anymore...and as a cook (at home) I don't lick, I wear an apron and wipe now, and if I taste it's usually just enough to know if the spices are good...and that is my husbands job now mostly.

That makes a lot of sense. It's amazing the difference that weighing and logging makes. I still can't believe that the scale is moving downward and there's still carbs...and cupcakes.
  • rachelguy
    rachelguy Posts: 24
    Options
    great post!! bump!:happy:
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    great post. Hope they make this a sticky.
  • Luciu5
    Luciu5 Posts: 15
    Options
    This is a great topic! Another thing to point out, when adding Recipes, MFP will automatically match ingredients. This works out funny sometimes. For example, last night I had chili. MFP said the SEASONING PACKET contained 1000 cal. I had to manually editthe ingredient with a correct one, 120 calories. Another recipe I used low-fat Ritz crackers which was automatically added as 15,000 calories for 1/3 of the box.. Not sure why this happens. Might simply be user error lol.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    What I have issue with is small restaurants that make their own food and won't share the nutritional values :grumble:
    That's something I've been meaning to come in here and ask about this, but didn't want to clutter up someone else's thread, but didn't feel like making my own.

What would you do in that kind of situation, sezxystef? We are going out for our anniversary this weekend to this wonderful local restaurant, quite small, no hope of getting any kind of nutritional info.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    What I have issue with is small restaurants that make their own food and won't share the nutritional values :grumble:
    That's something I've been meaning to come in here and ask about this, but didn't want to clutter up someone else's thread, but didn't feel like making my own.

What would you do in that kind of situation, sezxystef? We are going out for our anniversary this weekend to this wonderful local restaurant, quite small, no hope of getting any kind of nutritional info.

This happens to me a lot actually. I live in a very small town where it is mostly mom and pop shops...

But because I have been weighing my food for a long time I give it a reasonable estimate based on my experience..ie fish and chips...I know what 125g of haddock looks like...give or take. I always try to over guess what I had and log each item. You will see that a couple of saturday's ago..I went to the local pub...had fish and chips with gravy, my son had a mozza stick app, I had chicken strip app and my brother in law had some muscles...

Battered fish
    French fries
    Mozza sticks
    Chicken strips
    Gravy
    etc...

When going out unless it's a chain or it has a website I feel it is a best guess scenario...

Other people might have a better solution but that's what I do.

On that note...I have logged quick adds after a night of snacking with family...then decided to test myself to see if I was close...I logged the individual foods while it was fresh...

Quick adds 1200...actuallys 2300....:sad: taught me a lesson for sure.
  • dberry54
    dberry54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This was so very helpful and I thank you for all your time you put into helping us with our entries. I started out the program just logging whatever I found that was "closest to match" what I was eating. As the weeks have passed and I have read so many messages that have been posted I have come to be more picky about which entry I selected or did make my own. I have lost a little over 25# now with many more to go and thanks to people like you who want to share your successes, I WILL make it to my goal. Thanks again!
  • jedwards7425
    jedwards7425 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How do you log a lick or taste?

Say I had a single bite of macaroni and cheese. How would that be logged?

You don't. It is part of living. If your single bite of mac & cheese is bothering you or impacting your weight loss then it was more than a bite or lick or taste. If it happens enough times in a day to impact you then you need better meal planning and a discussion with yourself about how you approach food.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    How do you log a lick or taste?

Say I had a single bite of macaroni and cheese. How would that be logged?

You don't. It is part of living. If your single bite of mac & cheese is bothering you or impacting your weight loss then it was more than a bite or lick or taste. If it happens enough times in a day to impact you then you need better meal planning and a discussion with yourself about how you approach food.

As a cook (not professional ) at home I used to "bite, lick, taste" lots of things and it does impact weight loss when you do it a lot.

I think that phrase is to make people aware that if they are "nibblers" and say oh it's only a bite...those bites add up.

So give them up or try to log them...it's easier to give it up. I mean I can take a pretty big bite out of my husband flamer thrower if I wanted...

I personally have logged a bit off of a "sweet" as I suspected the entire thing had about 300 calories...last week I believe...made a note of it in my diary to explain the quick adds (it wasn't good enough to waste 300 calories on)
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Very nice, Stef! It may be weird, but I'm excited to start using my new kitchen scale. I hope buying the Walmart one doesn't result in me making another trip to the store to exchange it for the "Biggest Loser" scale...
  • MaryGrace1965
    MaryGrace1965 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this. How can I save this????????