Planet Fitness kicks out Muslim woman for wearing head scarf

Options
12346»

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet fitness where I live. I have never seen any type of discrimination of any type. They are always polite, helpful, helpful and supportive. I suppose we can always look for and find bad wherever we go!

:0 you mean to tell me not every single PF is exactly like the one in the story?? Nonsense!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4

In which we learn that being proud of your body and the bodies of your friends is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXiQ4zGIrUw

Yoga? Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5mzEAMAkY

Feeling the burn? Not at Planet Fitness!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.

Wow, calm down, Judgey McJudgerson. :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.

Really? I'd talk poorly of any company that I feel has faulty logic, poor business practices, and in fact, can cause harm to their customers. What do you think the Better Business Bureau does? Yelp?

This is also a good point. I went to Mexican place back home (Aiea, Hawaii) and the service was crap, the food was awful, and my drink was a watered down mess. I certainly did go to Yelp and 'bad mouth' that establishment. /shrug

If their philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

PF's philosophy is to not judge people, by excluding people, clothing, and equipment that doesn't fit their 'mold'. None judgement via exclusion is something I have no problem mocking.

But again, keep showing that 'No judgement zone' spirit. Remind me why when I was overweight and out of shape I still preferred to work out with 'lunks and meatheads'. I'm not intimidating or in amazing shape, I don't grunt or drop weights, I don't walk about in tiny shorts or my sports bra, I'm slow and become out of breath after about 2 miles...and Planet Fitness is still a place I'd never visit.

Again you're assuming every PF is exactly like the one in the story. Moronic. Places have dress codes. Have you ever been in the real world or do you live in some fantasy land?

Where did I say I assumed anything about anything? I'm not making assumptions, I'm going off of their 'philosophy' and the ads they put forth. No lunks, no meat heads, no grunting, removal of squat racks, and those ads that made fun of people who lift, people who do yoga, and so on and so forth.

Moving on: I was in the military. To this day I work out in military gyms. I know a thing or two about dress codes; I lived and breathed codes and regulations. I don't have an issue with dress codes...when applied evenly and fairly across the board and not for arbitrary reasons such as 'You're a little too in shape'.

You're talking about PF as if all of them don't allow those things. Which I'm TELLING you isn't true. Nothing has to be fair in a business. It's their rules. If you don't like it, don't go

So their dress code isn't for every gym? They didn't announce that they plan to remove squat racks from their gyms? Their ads don't make fun of people who lift and do yoga? How can you say these things aren't the business at large?

Actually, some things do have to be a certain way no matter what that business wants. That's why they're getting sued! :laugh:

And I don't like it. That's why I don't go. That's why I took my overweight, slow, out of shape *kitten* to another gym and worked elbow to elbow with meatheads, zumba freaks, and yoga fanatics.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Really? I'd talk poorly of any company that I feel has faulty logic, poor business practices, and in fact, can cause harm to their customers. What do you think the Better Business Bureau does? Yelp?

This is also a good point. I went to Mexican place back home (Aiea, Hawaii) and the service was crap, the food was awful, and my drink was a watered down mess. I certainly did go to Yelp and 'bad mouth' that establishment. /shrug

If there philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

Yep you fit right in. With the not judging.

Who am I judging? If a business lays out what they are about and you go in there and get mad because it's something different, that's your own fault. How is that hard to comprehend? If "insert gym name here" promotes a body building attitude and I go in there not wanting to feel judged in my efforts to lose weight, it's my own fault for being dumb

Annoying, grunters, meatheads, dumb-- these don't seem like judgmental words to you?

Truth hurts sometimes

I imagine those who are judging always feel it's the truth, but that doesn't make it any less judgmental.

I'm talking about those who it IS true for.

Right. According to you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet fitness where I live. I have never seen any type of discrimination of any type. They are always polite, helpful, helpful and supportive. I suppose we can always look for and find bad wherever we go!

:0 you mean to tell me not every single PF is exactly like the one in the story?? Nonsense!

Actually, I know that all PF's are not the same. I'm still surprised that people get kicked out for wearing a headband in any gym.

And also I think they scare people away from other gyms by telling them the other gyms are full of scary, judgmental, gymtimidating people. You have helped confirm that the most.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Amber? You're Hot.

Binary? You're Also hot.

McCindy? You guessed it, hot!

If I ever met you in real life I'd take time out to tell you how awesome you look and how hot you are, because you've all done amazing work and have put real time an effort into your bodies and that's so inspiring to me.

And thus, I'm not allowed at Planet Fitness.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Amber? You're Hot.

Binary? You're Also hot.

If I ever met you in real life I'd take time out to tell you how awesome you look and how hot you are, because you've all done amazing work and have put real time an effort into your bodies and that's so inspiring to me.

[/quote

thanks, darlin'. You are a pretty hot girl yourself, and I wouldn't go to Planet Fitness either. so, let's go work out somewhere else! :bigsmile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Amber? You're Hot.

Binary? You're Also hot.

:blushing:

Completely mutual. :love:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I think the dress code is for health and safety reasons; a scarf could get tangled in the equipment and strangle the person. Also bandannas are used for gang affiliation which would intimidate some people. It is the only gym I can afford, so I follow the rules and mind my own business. P.S. The scarves retain sweat and create a "stank"

but using that rationale, tennis shoes that tie wouldn't be allowed because they could become untied and get tangled up in the treadmill. So then you would only be allowed slip ons or shoes with velcro.

You can make anything into a hazard if you try hard enough.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Amber? You're Hot.

Binary? You're Also hot.

Aaaw, thanks!!!

You are hot also!!!
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Whether or not people are aware of their rules, planet fitness sucks! And those who are serious about fitness and weight lifting should never EVER go to that ridiculous place.
  • trbinado
    trbinado Posts: 9
    Options
    Working someplace is different than being a paying client. If they didn't tell her no, when she paid and signed up than the rules shouldn't change mid-stream. A woman's religious choice shouldn't be a "judgement free" issue, it's an issue of religious liberty. I work at an all women's gym and much of the clientele goes there for just that reason. We would welcome her with open arms AND she wouldn't have to cover there.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize we had Planet Fitness locations in Quebec.

I was thinking the same thing
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.