Smugly overweight??

Options

Replies

• lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think if you go and add your recipes to the recipe maker you won't have to spend hours a nite entering everything.

I am with others ... you have got to want to lose the weight in order lose the weight.

You are a stay at home mom...I like the suggestion of going to the library and get some healthy cooking books and see how you can change up your recipes for everyone's benefit.

You can do this...your mindset needs adjusting before it will work.

Best of luck!!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I make bread every single week, cook all of my own meals (I'm a good cook), and I've managed to lose more weight than I ever thought I would.

Think portion control. To lose weight you don't have to give up cooking or the foods you love, you just have to have healthy boundaries around food and food scale nearby. Oh, and don't forget to log too. :bigsmile:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    If carrying around that 30 pounds isn't bothering you and you are happy with your lifestyle, well. . . leave it at that. Why did you join MFP?

^^^^Yeah. Not sure why you would try to rationalize an unhealthy weight acceptance on this particular message board. Did you really think that you would get a lot of love for the fact that you're eating unhealthily (no matter who is making it), while teaching your children to eat the same way? In 20 years, do you want to look your 30 pound overweight "bolas de queso" in the eye and proudly tell them that their obesity is your doing? I didn't. That's why I'm changing my ways.

Instead of all that butter, flour and eggs, why not try to make healthier versions of those rich, fat-, sugar-, white flour- and calorie-laden foods?
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<< got fat eating mom's homemade cooking. Overweight is overweight IMO. I just knew I had to change.
  • moniquelovescats1
    moniquelovescats1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What you are saying is 100% ridiculous. I can't believe you would even post something like this-your husband is correct.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I think I'm missing something here. I'm not sure what you're husband is saying you're crazy about. I think a few people touched on this above, if you're a great cook, you probably have a natural gift towards how to prepare things, how things are going to taste. Someone with your ability should be able to put that talent towards making healthy foods. Healthy can be just as tasty as foods that aren't so healthy. There's always cookbooks that are put aside from others that are healthy. Even look at vegetarian cookbooks. They have some great healthy recipes and you don't have to be vegetarian to like them. Just give it a go and try. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You're trying to rationalize why you're overweight

Can't say it any better than this. ^

I am also a stay-at-home mom and do quite well in the kitchen. I also bake, and cook, for other people than just my family.
    Just because I became overweight eating homemade goods doesn't make it any less unhealthy to be overweight.
    Yes, logging from-scratch meals takes a bit longer... However, a lot of people have success doing so. Me included. I weigh, measure, and log everything I put into a recipe. Doing so has made it so I'm not obese anymore, and am 4lbs away from a "healthy" weight and BMI. I have a TON of recipes on my MFP diary that I've created due to it not being available as a search option. It is possible!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a wine connoisseur, myself. It's been over a decade since I've tasted from a bottle less than $15.

Sure, I get drunk and beat my wife and kids, fight cops when I drink, and have a slew of DWIs - - but the important thing is that because I drink better booze, I'm not as bad as those other drunks.

This comparison brought to you by the letter J and the number 3.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LMDEN2014
    LMDEN2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm looking for some "no, you're not crazy" here. And I totally don't mean to offend anyone. But I had this conversation with my husband the other day and he said I was crazy. I'm about 30 lbs. overweight, but outside of the concept of portion control, it's because I'm an awesome cook. I make great bread, baked goods, amazing sauces, roasts, etc. and I make almost all of it from scratch. We go through tons of butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, sugar, etc. I love to cook, I love making big meals for my little family of 4, and it's even more exciting when I can show it off. I'm a stay-at-home mom, I feel like you should get a 5-star meal if you come over for dinner. and that's not to say we don't eat out some times, and I don't stock some junk food, but mostly, if I eat it, I made it.

To the I'm not crazy point, I feel like my fatness is "more ok" that someone who did it with eating out or prepared foods from the grocery store. I realize it's completely stupid, but that's the thought I have when I debate adding a pat of butter to finish a sauce and make it shiny (which is why you add a smidgen of butter at the end). AND because I make so much from scratch, it's a huge pain to count calories because only a few things come with "reliable" labels as we go through tons of produce and protein. So when i do count my calories, it adds tons of time to my food prep (3 meals and 3 snacks a day for my very skinny and active girls).

Is there anyone out there like me? or is my husband right?

Ok, I am with you on this, my friends call me a food freak because I make EVERYTHING from scratch (in the winter I buy tomatoes sauce-the only packaged thing I buy-, in the summer I use tomatoes from my garden). I love to cook gourmet food for my family of 3 and I am very concerned with the a balanced nutrition. I buy mostly organic foods and our family NEVER steps foot in a fast food place, we do not drink soda or have any junk food in the house (chips, cakes, candies, etc). Now, that being said I am 15lbs overweight and very unhappy about it. The truth is (just like some else said In a post) even the best homemade, organic, healthy food can make you fat...and fat is fat no matter what (that is what I see when I look in the mirror and I hate it).
    I am so frustrated, because I feel like I have to choose between my family and my myself. If I stop cooking I know I could lose some weight, BUT my family would eat bad foods and I would feel guilty. So hard....
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to cook. And I have been told that I am fantastic at it......

And I still cook and my husband still loves it and doesn't even realize it's "diet food"

But you can maybe rationalize it anyway you want but the end game is still the same...
  • LMDEN2014
    LMDEN2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make great bread, baked goods, amazing sauces, roasts, etc. and I make almost all of it from scratch. We go through tons of butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, sugar, etc. I love to cook, I love making big meals for my little family of 4, and it's even more exciting when I can show it off. I'm a stay-at-home mom, I feel like you should get a 5-star meal if you come over for dinner. and that's not to say we don't eat out some times, and I don't stock some junk food, but mostly, if I eat it, I made it.

BTW......cooking at home could be that you are making great stuff, but loaded with calories (fats and sugars) and that is not helping. In my cooking, I eliminated the butter in 99% of the cases (use olive or avocado oil instead), sweets are just on rare occasions. When we crave sugar it is fruits or dark chocolate. I learned in the last couple of years to cook light, yet gourmet. there are plenty of recipes for light cooking. When I have guests for dinner, I am a bit more generous with the ingredients. :-)
  • parselysage
    Options
    I agree with lambchristie
    I think if you go and add your recipes to the recipe maker you won't have to spend hours a nite entering everything.

I am with others ... you have got to want to lose the weight in order lose the weight.

You are a stay at home mom...I like the suggestion of going to the library and get some healthy cooking books and see how you can change up your recipes for everyone's benefit.

You can do this...your mindset needs adjusting before it will work.

Best of luck!!!!

I also am a SAHM that love to cook and make great food...
    then my husband got diabetes... *sigh* what a game changer
    We took a class in how to feed him and I learned how to make great healthy food. BTW I'm totally ok with you adding a smidgen of butter to make the sauce shiny. :-) But I helped him (and myself) by freezing the uneaten muffins, cakes, and well I stopped making bread because he can't resist it. I also got rid of the microwave so if i want to eat a frozen muffin It has to thaw naturally, and by that time I just hand it to one of the kids because the craving has usually passed.

My hubby went vegan, then raw, then my child had to be GF and Dairy free, I learned how to make gourmet food in each stage. I saw it as a challenge.. how can I make healthy food taste so good no one realizes it's healthy?

I helped myself by taking the time to add in the recipes here in MFP and now its so easy to track my homemade foods. I did take some weeks where I just repeated 4-5 meals so I only had to add in the 2 new recipes etc... on lazy days for example, I just type in homemade guacamole.... and go with what sounds the most like what I made. a guesstimate is better than no tracking at all :-)
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty decent baker/cook myself and tend to make quite a few meals from scratch. I usually buy organic, fresh food as well.

But my issue was portion control - I could cook a beautiful homemade meal made with lots of great ingredients - and then eat 2000 calories worth of it. :laugh:

So... it's a trade-off. You can try to swap out some ingredients with lower calorie options and have larger portions, or you can use the usual ingredients and have smaller portions. I tend to do a little of both.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Overweight is overweight, no matter why the extra pounds are there. There is not one excuse for over-eating that is better than any other excuse.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

yerp.

I agree with this as well. With regard to the difficulty in counting calories when cooking from scratch I suggest you either start exercising more to compensate and/or buy a food scale like other MFP members in your situation.

Being a great cook is wonderful but does not need to interfere with your diet/fitness goals
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm looking for some "no, you're not crazy" here. And I totally don't mean to offend anyone. But I had this conversation with my husband the other day and he said I was crazy. I'm about 30 lbs. overweight, but outside of the concept of portion control, it's because I'm an awesome cook. I make great bread, baked goods, amazing sauces, roasts, etc. and I make almost all of it from scratch. We go through tons of butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, sugar, etc. I love to cook, I love making big meals for my little family of 4, and it's even more exciting when I can show it off. I'm a stay-at-home mom, I feel like you should get a 5-star meal if you come over for dinner. and that's not to say we don't eat out some times, and I don't stock some junk food, but mostly, if I eat it, I made it.

I think tons of butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, and sugar could make just about anyone a stellar cook (at least in terms of taste!)... but I agree with the others who have posted: find a way to be a stellar cook with more nutrient rich food. For example, the other day at work, we had a lunch meeting that was catered with vegetarian enchiladas. They were AMAZING. Had a really nice kick to them, and the filling was cauliflower, cornmeal mush, butternut squash, black beans, spinach, onions, peppers, etc... only a tiny bit of cheese on the very top. They were some of the most amazing things I've ever tasted, and super super healthy. This last weekend, I tried to duplicate the recipe and came really close - I didn't get enough spice into them, so I need to play with that, but it was DELICIOUS even still... and about 300 calories per serving and full of wonderful nutrients. Not a drop of butter.

See it as a challenge :) (also, you could be setting your kids up for failure, if they are only used to the kinds of food you're currently making, those are the kinds of foods they'll eat as they get older and - as most of us do - likely become "less active." Teach them that prepared correctly, healthy foods are AMAZINGLY great.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Your heart, lungs, overall health, stretched pants, and double chin don't give a single, healthy damn how "smug" your are about being fat.

Keep right on cooking, feeding, and growing. See if you don't end up here in another 30 lbs with a thread entitled "HELP! I'm 60 lbs overweight and I CAN'T STOP EATING!!!".

- Signed, another "awesome cook"
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

^
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    When I see someone overweight I have never never wondered if it was from eating out or eating in. Lifestyle or medical condition maybe.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the same kind of justification my husband falls back on. "We don't eat garbage, almost everything is homemade. We eat better than anyone else I know, so I don't know why..."

I can kneed bread all day but the work I put into making it doesn't make it calorie-free. Nor does making brownies from scratch vs from a box. Sure, you might be saving yourself on things like preservatives, artificial flavorings and sodium, but those things are in there as flavor enhancers and fillers. Most of the time you're just replacing that stuff with more butter, more salt, more sugar, more chocolate which just means upping the calorie count.

It's like fat vegetarians {looks in the mirror}. Just because I don't eat meat doesn't automatically mean my diet is any healthier than a meat eater's. You can eat nothing but candy bars and still call yourself a vegetarian.

If you're fine with your weight, that's great, but don't kid yourself that because you slaved away in the kitchen that it's any healthier by default.

Learn to substitute. Monday I made vegetarian Shepard's Pie. I "saved" a ton of calories by replacing about 1/3rd of the potato with roasted cauliflower, skipping the cheese, reducing the butter and bulking up the "meat" layer with carrots, peppers and celery {further reducing the size of the "potato" layer}. Next time I'll do half and half with the cauliflower/potato mash and cut the butter even more since the roasted cauliflower lends a nice rich flavor of its own. Still feels as decadent as my normal version, but the calorie count is much kinder for a "meat and potatoes" sort of comfort food.

Even when I do prepared foods I tweak. Box of flavored rice? I add a cup of plain quinoa, a bag of veggie crumbles and a bag of broccoli or cauliflower. Now a 4-serving side dish is an 8-serving meal. At first look, I only save a few calories, but I've slashed the sodium levels and reduced the superfluous calories I would have added if I'd kept the everything separate and added butter/sauce and the oil I would have needed to prep the "meat". Plus using the crumbles means I didn't resort to a heavier option like the "sauced" or "breaded" vegetarian meat replacements, which are significantly higher in calories and sodium.

As far as counting calories for home made stuff, I plug in my stuff as I make it using this recipe calculator. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp I like to cook things so I have leftovers for days, so I like to measure out entire packages and then divide the entire meal into servings. There's usually plenty of time to do that as I'm sweating veggies, preheating or waiting for water to boil. Then I write down the meal and calories per serving in a little file on my desktop so I only have to think about the recipe once. I just plug in the pre-configured calories into MFP as needed.