Why does everyone hate me? The forum Survival Guide.

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    i am offended by this post

its not allowed.

And yet you claim to not be butthurt.

/amused
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Good post, though I'd disagree on a few points (but not worth bringing up in detail). :smile:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

I think you should go a step further, and get technical support to ban all newbies from posting.

In answer to your questions and or comments:

1. Butthurt : informal adjective describing anger or prejudice in response to opinion or statements.. aka. over reacting. It is NOT "name calling" nor does it refer to "disagreeing". To name call requires you are given a derogatory title, (to play the devil's advocate I'll present to you the widely used term.."special snowflake". Butthurt is a state of being like angry or upset, which you may just be based on your responses. But I will not assume.

2. The guide I provided is not only helpful (I've had several new folks privately message me who both enjoyed the humor and felt far more confident to post now) but if you would take a moment to read it without this pent up bias you seem to harbor? You'd find that I'm really out there to help people AVOID exactly what you are digging yourself into right now. Negativity. A few guidelines in a foreign ecosystem will help people understand an intimidating environment and hopefully help them avoid a crushing Topic situation.

I'm sorry I didn't deliver it with flowers and a get well card, but like many people on here I don't feel compelled to be warm and fuzzy with a group of people I don't know, and it's in my nature to be bluntly honest or deliver messages with humor. And truth is no one here is going to change how they reside on the threads so as a preventative measure I don't think there is anything wrong with giving new blood a road map to avoid the pot holes. Stop treating this as an attack on newbies, and you might see how it will help them instead.

you do not need to defend yourself its the internet you can write it how you want.. The post was actually fine, I am not keen on the delivery but the post is not aimed at me anyway. i actually was responding to the bit you said after someone commented WOW. I simply said if you get tired dont respond.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

its not allowed.

/amused

thats not hard for you though is it?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I think you should go a step further, and get technical support to ban all newbies from posting.

In answer to your questions and or comments:

1. Butthurt : informal adjective describing anger or prejudice in response to opinion or statements.. aka. over reacting. It is NOT "name calling" nor does it refer to "disagreeing". To name call requires you are given a derogatory title, (to play the devil's advocate I'll present to you the widely used term.."special snowflake". Butthurt is a state of being like angry or upset, which you may just be based on your responses. But I will not assume.

2. The guide I provided is not only helpful (I've had several new folks privately message me who both enjoyed the humor and felt far more confident to post now) but if you would take a moment to read it without this pent up bias you seem to harbor? You'd find that I'm really out there to help people AVOID exactly what you are digging yourself into right now. Negativity. A few guidelines in a foreign ecosystem will help people understand an intimidating environment and hopefully help them avoid a crushing Topic situation.

I'm sorry I didn't deliver it with flowers and a get well card, but like many people on here I don't feel compelled to be warm and fuzzy with a group of people I don't know, and it's in my nature to be bluntly honest or deliver messages with humor. And truth is no one here is going to change how they reside on the threads so as a preventative measure I don't think there is anything wrong with giving new blood a road map to avoid the pot holes. Stop treating this as an attack on newbies, and you might see how it will help them instead.

I prefer unicorns and magical fairy dust with my MFP deliveries....
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG - chickpeas are the answer to everything, why won't you just believe me, why ohh why

:drinker:

But can they be made into things like rice and pizza crust?

But of course they can!!
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1671090
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    it was inevitable...

speaking of buthurt..where is ole lindz at for this one??????????????????

Probably dreaming up her newest degree, so that she can argue falseties in some thread.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am just here to see how many times the word "butthurt" is used...
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Now stop crying and start learning and if you feel the need to sniffle? Go spend an hour reading the comments on Youtube, because you've yet to experience "mean".

Good Luck!

I really like this line : )

Yup... I like this line too... and could add Babycenter and sodahead into it too.

And craigslist forums... at least in NYC. Those are completely anon. :laugh:

Maybe the general forums should come with this statement before a newbie posts their first thread.

If they continue, they'll probably be up for what follows.lol

tumblr_m4fiuu4SEw1rpil81o1_400.jpg

tumblr_lz51wyumpL1roddmbo1_500.gif

Again, to compare the nice boards with the rest of the net, I've been on boards where they actually tell newbies they shouldn't be posting until they've lurked for awhile. And most will either outright ignore a newbie, or shred them to pieces.
    I have never seen that happen here, in fact, MFP is very pro new posters. They even allow for the same topic to be posted again whereas most boards discourage posting the same type of posts over and over.

(Not that I think its a bad idea to get a feel for a board before posting)

It might read that they have only been on since Feb 2014 but that doesn't mean they know nothing regarding calorie counting/fitness or nutrition
  • Achrya
    Options

its not allowed.

/amused

Do you feel like being hard to amuse is a positive attribute? Because personally I find that being able to find humor and laughter in most things is a great trait to posses.

So yes, you're right, it's not hard for me to get a chuckle. I hope to never be at a point where amusement is hard to find.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

its not allowed.

Here:

creepy-cookie-squirrel.jpg

So much hostility, maybe you DO need a card.. my bad.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Nicely written.
  • H4rpy
    H4rpy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best posts in the history of ever and it should be stickied next to the Sexypants thread. I've been lurking on MFP for a year now (and on other forums for many years), but as a newbie I would've found the post extremely helpful.

So, thanks, OP! Excellent PSA, and I believe it will help many new people avoid contracting derpitis. Also, love your sense of humor.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Therealobi1
    Options

its not allowed.

/amused

Do you feel like being hard to amuse is a positive attribute? Because personally I find that being able to find humor and laughter in most things is a great trait to posses.

So yes, you're right, it's not hard for me to get a chuckle. I hope to never be at a point where amusement is hard to find.

The start of that sounded like an advert.
    Amen to that. A laugh a day is good.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

its not allowed.

Here:

creepy-cookie-squirrel.jpg

So much hostility, maybe you DO need a card.. my bad.

Ooh you have found my weak spot cookies. and such a large one. Do you think i was hostile. I never thought of myself as hostile. mmh thats interesting.
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everyone should read this!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I'm sorry I didn't deliver it with flowers and a get well card,

As the self proclaimed resident noob, I dont need flowers and a get well card. I need Hummus!
  • Achrya
    Options

its not allowed.

/amused

The start of that sounded like an advert.
    Amen to that. A laugh a day is good.

I do try to promote an easy going, non-serious approach to life where ever I go.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Again, to compare the nice boards with the rest of the net, I've been on boards where they actually tell newbies they shouldn't be posting until they've lurked for awhile. And most will either outright ignore a newbie, or shred them to pieces.
    I have never seen that happen here, in fact, MFP is very pro new posters. They even allow for the same topic to be posted again whereas most boards discourage posting the same type of posts over and over.

(Not that I think its a bad idea to get a feel for a board before posting)

It might read that they have only been on since Feb 2014 but that doesn't mean they know nothing regarding calorie counting/fitness or nutrition

I honestly have no idea how that came from what I said.
    I was talking about message boards in general, being *new* to the board and comparing with MPF.
    It is a good idea to get a feel for the board before posting, regardless of your knowledge of the subject. Each forum has its own vibe, own set of rules, etc. Lurking allows you to get a feel for this. I did not say you shouldn't post if you don't know anything.
    I also said specifically that it is NOT like that here. So again, I have no idea what having knowledge of calorie counting/fitness/nutrtion plays a role in what I said.

And I also realize that some people make new accounts and might not be new. Again, I did not say you couldn't post with a new account. If someone has been here before, they probably already have a feel for the community.
This discussion has been closed.