Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

let old people touch your babies
    they are from a different time

a time with out MFP and FB where people actually had to TALK to each other for realz

and every baby born was covetted and cherished by the community, hence the touching of bellies and babies

young people GTFU seriously

have some respect for older people and teach your kids the same. Your babies arent going to catch the plague from a kiss or cheek pinch of an older person. My gawd.

here here
    Do you eat peanut butter, shell fish, use hand creams with coco or Shea butter in them? If so don't touch my kids because your simple touch may sent us rushing to the hospital where I will have to watch a baby stuck with IV lines filled with steroids to save his life.

This is not harmless!

How will you deal with school? Not trying to be snarky at all; it's just that peanut butter is pretty much a lunch staple in schools and it would be virtually impossible to remove all traces from every surface in a classroom.
    PB alergies are soo common that the schools here don't allow any kind of nuts in schools. As far as how I deal, he is not yet in school. He will have an epi penwith him at all times any his teacher and nurse will know how to use it.

Remind me not to move there. It must be in the water or something.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

a time with out MFP and FB where people actually had to TALK to each other for realz

and every baby born was covetted and cherished by the community, hence the touching of bellies and babies

have some respect for older people and teach your kids the same. Your babies arent going to catch the plague from a kiss or cheek pinch of an older person. My gawd.

Sorry, but I don't live in that world. Seriously, don't touch my kids. Most people seem to have boundaries and understand that touching strangers isn't commonly accepted here in 2014. I truly worry about those who think it's okay, because I start to question their intentions and overall judgment. Next up, pinching random girls' *kitten* because they're so damn adorable . . .

surely you know the difference between old people enjoying a cute baby
    and a random perv pinching the butts of women.

It is sad people ccant see the difference

.....until you have to block a camera of some innocent looking old person trying to take an up-skirt photo of your 4 year old daughter.....

QFT

QFT? This happened to you? WTF?!?

Yes. I know, the world is full of rainbows and unicorns, and for the most part it is a pretty great place, but yes there are genuine wackadoodles out there and I do keep my eyes open when I'm with my daughters. Is every old person who wants to pat my daughters' heads a creeper? Of course not. Some of them are great to chat with and completely harmless. That doesn't mean I let my guard down.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    or if you have used hand creams that our kids may be allergic to

Another modern day parent fear. Allergies. Every kid seems to be allergic to 10,000 different things. Either that or their parents want to tell people how many things their kids are allergic to because it makes their kid just a little bit special up front. My fiance's nephew's school has a special allergy class (no, seriously) for kids with allergies. Hearing the moms of allergy kids parents talk you can tell their practically in competition to find the most exotic allergy. When I have kids I've already decided he's allergic to most paper towels except some uber expensive ones made from angel tears and gluten free rain forest trees.
    Ooh sweet child I do hope you never have to race against the clock because your child is turning blue and then have to endure hours of iv's at he hospital with your baby who you were supposed to protect .

All joking aside, will your child actually go into anaphylactic shock if he is even touched by someone who has eaten peanuts or shellfish, or used hand cream? I have never heard of someone being that sensitive. I sincerely hope that you are exaggerating for effect, otherwise your child will have to live life in a bubble. I am not attacking you or your child, so please don't take this as such, I am just amazed if a child can ACTUALLY be this sensitive. Will he always be like this, or in time will be build up immunities?

Can't be touched by other children, teachers, etc...
    If this does exist, perhaps the poster might recognize that the situation is of an extreme rarity and as such isn't the measure of norm of behavior.

Perhaps not, this is MFP, after all.
    With peanut butter it is serous! The oils pass transdermaly and if not caught quickly and depending on the amount can lead to the hospital. Unfortunately peanut better is one of those that gets worse with exposure not better.

Move to Europe, we don't eat much peanut butter here. Really quite rare in many countries.
    I'm not saying it isn't serious, just that it isn't what others usually see. To be so sensitive that your child can't be touched by other children because of this risk is pretty extreme as an allergy and not the ken of most people.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    this is so dumb

Sorry, but I don't live in that world. Seriously, don't touch my kids. Most people seem to have boundaries and understand that touching strangers isn't commonly accepted here in 2014. I truly worry about those who think it's okay, because I start to question their intentions and overall judgment. Next up, pinching random girls' *kitten* because they're so damn adorable . . .

Next up random red herring.

Raise daughters in Asia and talk to me about that being a red herring

Been there, done that. Shanghai, 1996. 3 year old girl. Yeah, it was problematic (hair touching and people wanting to get a picture) - but I recognize that this isn't the common experience., nor the rule of behavior for most people. And I really didn't see anyone pinching my daughters butt. And isn't relative to people being "old people" in America or Western Europe, where most of MFP live.

Context, location, possible intent, culture ... Reasonable clues that might preclude "arm breaking". Maybe.

Your mileage may honestly vary.

Try Japan. But yes, I agree that context matters, but that's largely the point. People shouldn't think that it's perfectly acceptable to walk up and touch other people's kids no matter where they are. Sure, there are cultural differences, and no I'm not going to really break anyone's arms. But then, I'd expect people to get the hyperbole, particularly when they've interacted with me on occasion.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

here here
    Do you eat peanut butter, shell fish, use hand creams with coco or Shea butter in them? If so don't touch my kids because your simple touch may sent us rushing to the hospital where I will have to watch a baby stuck with IV lines filled with steroids to save his life.

This is not harmless!

How will you deal with school? Not trying to be snarky at all; it's just that peanut butter is pretty much a lunch staple in schools and it would be virtually impossible to remove all traces from every surface in a classroom.
    PB alergies are soo common that the schools here don't allow any kind of nuts in schools. As far as how I deal, he is not yet in school. He will have an epi penwith him at all times any his teacher and nurse will know how to use it.

Remind me not to move there. It must be in the water or something.

You & me both.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Thank god my son is now 12, and I dont have any daughters..... and yes I did allow older people and anyone else who wanted to to croon over and pinch his cheeks.

It seemed unjust to keep all the cuteness for myself.

The only boundaries I still hold near and dear is smoking, dont come near my kid with a cig, dont smoke in the car with my kid, if my kids friends have parents who smoke indoors, he isnt coming over, but if they smoke outside their home that is ok with me.

I don't think it's too much to ask to defer to parents and their rules for their own kids. We are all going to have a different viewpoint on this, and frankly there are some damn wise people on here disagreeing with me. Again, I think it's a great idea to ask the parents.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    this is so dumb

surely you know the difference between old people enjoying a cute baby
    and a random perv pinching the butts of women.

It is sad people ccant see the difference

.....until you have to block a camera of some innocent looking old person trying to take an up-skirt photo of your 4 year old daughter.....

QFT

QFT? This happened to you? WTF?!?

Yes. I know, the world is full of rainbows and unicorns, and for the most part it is a pretty great place, but yes there are genuine wackadoodles out there and I do keep my eyes open when I'm with my daughters. Is every old person who wants to pat my daughters' heads a creeper? Of course not. Some of them are great to chat with and completely harmless. That doesn't mean I let my guard down.

If a pedo was trying to film my kids, it would be their last...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Thank god my son is now 12, and I dont have any daughters..... and yes I did allow older people and anyone else who wanted to to croon over and pinch his cheeks.

It seemed unjust to keep all the cuteness for myself.

The only boundaries I still hold near and dear is smoking, dont come near my kid with a cig, dont smoke in the car with my kid, if my kids friends have parents who smoke indoors, he isnt coming over, but if they smoke outside their home that is ok with me.

I don't think it's too much to ask to defer to parents and their rules for their own kids. We are all going to have a different viewpoint on this, and frankly there are some damn wise people on here disagreeing with me. Again, I think it's a great idea to ask the parents.

I hope my daughter's friend's parents don't feel this way. I smoked in the car as I was taking them each home yesterday. But then, where we live, smokers are still the majority...
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    or if you have used hand creams that our kids may be allergic to

Another modern day parent fear. Allergies. Every kid seems to be allergic to 10,000 different things. Either that or their parents want to tell people how many things their kids are allergic to because it makes their kid just a little bit special up front. My fiance's nephew's school has a special allergy class (no, seriously) for kids with allergies. Hearing the moms of allergy kids parents talk you can tell their practically in competition to find the most exotic allergy. When I have kids I've already decided he's allergic to most paper towels except some uber expensive ones made from angel tears and gluten free rain forest trees.
    Ooh sweet child I do hope you never have to race against the clock because your child is turning blue and then have to endure hours of iv's at he hospital with your baby who you were supposed to protect .

All joking aside, will your child actually go into anaphylactic shock if he is even touched by someone who has eaten peanuts or shellfish, or used hand cream? I have never heard of someone being that sensitive. I sincerely hope that you are exaggerating for effect, otherwise your child will have to live life in a bubble. I am not attacking you or your child, so please don't take this as such, I am just amazed if a child can ACTUALLY be this sensitive. Will he always be like this, or in time will be build up immunities?

Can't be touched by other children, teachers, etc...
    If this does exist, perhaps the poster might recognize that the situation is of an extreme rarity and as such isn't the measure of norm of behavior.

Perhaps not, this is MFP, after all.
    With peanut butter it is serous! The oils pass transdermaly and if not caught quickly and depending on the amount can lead to the hospital. Unfortunately peanut better is one of those that gets worse with exposure not better.

Move to Europe, we don't eat much peanut butter here. Really quite rare in many countries.
    I'm not saying it isn't serious, just that it isn't what others usually see. To be so sensitive that your child can't be touched by other children because of this risk is pretty extreme as an allergy and not the ken of most people.

It may be extreme, but it is easily avoided if people will just ask before they reach out their hand to touch my child. I just don't see why people feel that just because the child is cute or young they have a right to touch them. Respect should not be just from the younger to the elder but also from the elder to the younger when it comes to physical contact!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about strangers thinking it's okay to discipline my child. We, my friend and I and kids, were at pizza hut buffet having lunch and some people in the back had a screaming child. A group of elderly ladies were sitting close to the buffet and my friends little boy(he was 5) went running to the buffet to get food and this old lady grabbed his arm and told him to quit all that screaming and it wasn't polite to scream like that, now mind you it wasn't him number 1 and number 2 I understand you being irritated with the screaming kid, I was there for 2 minutes and I had had enough of it but it's not your place to correct a child or their parents. I went off on her and told her in no uncertain terms that touching another persons child in that manner is unacceptable and very rude. They called me rude and I told them that rude is grabbing someone else's child in the manner she did so and that he (the child) deserved an apology and his mother too. She finally apologized and so did I. But if they are coming up and saying how cute and touching their heads and such I see nothing wrong with it. This is what's wrong with this world people get to upset over the little stuff. And to the lady with the kid who has allergies, your situation is different and not the normal. I would think even taking the child out to eat or even in public would be to much of a risk for the child and you should just leave said child home. I'm thinking I would be so paranoid to take my child out because of all the risks to it's life and said child is safer at home. Sucks to be the child though :(
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    This is so sad......

Did you ever consider that the "random old person" may have mild dementia, and really mean no harm? I do believe that it is possible to tell the difference between a harmless elderly person and a perv.

My grandmother is the sweetest elderly person I know and she will NOT keep her hands off small children and babies when out in public. When we take her out to lunch or shopping, we can not look away for a moment or my grandmother will zero in on the closest child she sees and make a bee line directly to them. No matter how many times we tell her "do not touch", she just can't help herself. I can't tell you how many times I've had to apologize to a parent because I couldn't catch her before she touched.

Have a little compassion and try not to be so hard on the elderly people, you'll get there soon enough yourself, and you never know what your own mental state will be at that time.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If a pedo was trying to film my kids, it would be their last...

The old camera up the skirt happened to me as a very young teen in the 90's. I looked younger than I was too. As an adult, looking back, I realize how young I really looked. Gross. :sick:

That wasn't my only unfortunate experience growing up. While it's not fair to single out the elderly, I can sure see why parents don't want strangers touching their kids.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Also do not touch the bellies of pregnant women. That's just super creep. Even if you are cute and old. DON"T DO IT!
    This happened to me so much when I was pregnant. I finally got so angry, I started touching their bellies back.

"What? You don't like that? Well, why on earth are you touching mine then?!" Problem solved.

Also, don't touch my children, and get off my lawn! :angry:
    ^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm LMAO still:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it! I am a random "old person" I would not dream of touching either belly or kiddo. ( I still remember how much it bugged me when mine were little.) still :laugh: :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned about strangers thinking it's okay to discipline my child. We, my friend and I and kids, were at pizza hut buffet having lunch and some people in the back had a screaming child. A group of elderly ladies were sitting close to the buffet and my friends little boy(he was 5) went running to the buffet to get food and this old lady grabbed his arm and told him to quit all that screaming and it wasn't polite to scream like that, now mind you it wasn't him number 1 and number 2 I understand you being irritated with the screaming kid, I was there for 2 minutes and I had had enough of it but it's not your place to correct a child or their parents. I went off on her and told her in no uncertain terms that touching another persons child in that manner is unacceptable and very rude. They called me rude and I told them that rude is grabbing someone else's child in the manner she did so and that he (the child) deserved an apology and his mother too. She finally apologized and so did I. But if they are coming up and saying how cute and touching their heads and such I see nothing wrong with it. This is what's wrong with this world people get to upset over the little stuff. And to the lady with the kid who has allergies, your situation is different and not the normal. I would think even taking the child out to eat or even in public would be to much of a risk for the child and you should just leave said child home. I'm thinking I would be so paranoid to take my child out because of all the risks to it's life and said child is safer at home. Sucks to be the child though :(

Why was a 5 year old running up to a hot buffet? Many restaurants prohibit kids under 10 from serving themselves.

Simple solution is simple.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    How about just don't touch people (in general) without permission? There. Problem solved.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I just firmly correct people who think it's okay to walk up and touch my kids. They need to learn somehow.

Yes! Age doesn't matter when it comes to this, because different age groups have this habit. I get over-protective when people invade my and my son's personal space. Why should I let someone's rudeness over ride my rights, just because they feel the urge to touch my son?
  • Dayhiker
    Dayhiker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a random old person I reckon but I agree...I love to see the babies and talk to the mama's about them but I do not touch. My grandbabies are one and two and 2000 miles away so it's nice to see little ones about their age. I appreciate that all the mama's I've talked to seemed happy enough to let me admire them. Now don't forget to share your babies with their grandparents and great grandparents so they don't go to the dark side for a baby fix. :happy:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My best friend's daughter is deathly allergic to tree nuts. She has to carry an epi pen everywhere she goes and her teachers know how to use it. She's rarely allowed on playdates and birthday parties. She was able to come to my daughter's party last year but I had to be extremely vigilant about what kinds of snacks and cake to have at the party. Even the lotion and handsoap at my house had to be made sure that there were no almond or walnut ingredients in them. Very scary stuff so I can definitely sympathize with parents of children who have peanut or tree nut allergies.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm a random old person I reckon but I agree...I love to see the babies and talk to the mama's about them but I do not touch. My grandbabies are one and two and 2000 miles away so it's nice to see little ones about their age. I appreciate that all the mama's I've talked to seemed happy enough to let me admire them. Now don't forget to share your babies with their grandparents and great grandparents so they don't go to the dark side for a baby fix. :happy:

Too Cute!! :flowerforyou:

Yes, I sometimes think that babies remind people of their own grandchildren or maybe even their own children from when they were younger. Whatever the reason, babies bring happiness and I am all for it.
This discussion has been closed.