• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses!

Ding, Ding, Ding!
  • newpalfan
    newpalfan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Log in to My Fitness Pal everyday. Carefully chart your food intake. Find an exercise you love and follow through. When you get to the maintenance after weight loss, continue the program. If you have a bad day, pick yourself up and keep going.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Look at your diet, and replace calorie dense foods with lower calorie substitutes wherever you can. Little things like low calorie mayonnaise, diet soda, and of course replacing entrees like cheeseburgers with something like fish or chicken will let you be just as "full" as you're accustomed to, while taking in fewer calories.

And you have to track the calories, of course.
  • jenniferarnold619
    Options
    Forget "dieting". Don't think about what you CANT have.

Focus on eating food that nourishes your body. The quality of your calories will affect your weight loss more than we all like to believe. 300 calories of cake is no where near as easy to work off or useful to your body than a 300 calorie snack of fruit slices, cheese and nuts. (admittedly its not as "good" but when you start eating these foods we need, our cravings lessen a HUGE amount)
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    :noway: If you had only one tip to offer for weight loss, what is your tip and please don't say "eat less." :noway:

eat less.

weight loss is a science.

BMR (base rate) since I'm 169 my BMR is: 1514

Then you determine your TDEE which is the total daily energy expenditure. Mine is around 2081 since I run every day and do training 3x days a week.

Next is body fat %. Theres like a dozen ways to find this out. Since I'm in the navy we use a different calculator. But for the sake of being simple I'll use basic BMI which is 38%.

So if I chose to eat 1200 cals a day, I would be looking at around a 800 kcal deficit. Which would account for a 1.1 lbs a week loss. Now that's somewhat unrealistic for me at this point. But for someone obese or morbidly obese that's not a bad idea.

A lot of people would find that challenging. But unfortunately you can't cheat the laws of thermodynamics and self-discipline.
  • brookeokelly
    Options
    Cut out the processed foods and sugar. Bread, pasta, white flour, sodas, etc. (even diet soda, the artificial sweeteners are terrible for you-except Stevia). You can stay under your calorie goal and eat crap and very little of it at that and your results will come, albeit very slowly. Or you can fill up on veggies, avocado, nuts, seeds, lean meat, greek plain yogurt, a bunch of other stuff that's yummy and makes it difficult to go over your calorie goal bc it's all nutrient dense foods. SUGAR makes us fat!!!
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Get a group of friends with similar goals that supports you... and gives you the truth good and bad...
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    1. Find a workout buddy.
    2. Schedule it, and do it.
    3. Make it fun (swim, play sports, dance class, mall walk.)
    4. Eat what you love, but do it in proper portions.
    5. Don't get discouraged if you slip (most people slip)
    6. Remember why your doing it.
    7. Celebrate your progress
    8. Don't over do it (if you're just starting out ease into it)
    9. Take a before picture and document progress.
    10. Buy a set of clothes for the size you want to be.
  • jasminemars01
    Options
    Screw everyone and live life for yourself. Do not allow external
    pressures to influence your emotional responses to food.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Drink only water! cut out all sugary drinks.. eat whole foods, limit processed foods as they tend to make you hungrier.
    Take a multi vitamin, workout and get enough sleep!
  • iknowit
    iknowit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Diet, diet, diet. You can run on the treadmill but cannot out run your diet.

And word #2: Consistency
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Learn how what your eat affects your metabolism. An educated mind makes for smaller thighs. Just sayin.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS PREPARE AND PLAN AHEAD. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    As you forge ahead, study! Learn to recognize what is real science, and what is crappola, concerning successful weight loss.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can read when I get off work!!!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Right down everything you eat. Period.
  • jkuhnen
    jkuhnen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Moving the fork to the mouth fewer times.

LOL this ^
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    portion control, eat slower, cardio