foods that are not "worth" the calories?

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Starbucks. I love their hot chocolates, but even with skimmed milk and no whipped cream, they still come in at over 300 cals :( I am trying to curtail my addiction.

Try a Talle Light Mocha...only 150 calories and tastes like hot chocolate (at least to me it does lol)
    I don't eat lasagne any more. It's too high in calories for me to even contemplate fitting it in as I've tried the 'just have a small slice and plenty of salad' approach - that doesn't work for me and lasagne. And any attempt to make it lower calorie makes it nasty.

Try Martha Stewart's Healthier Lasagna, it is on her website or you can find it in her cookbook, Everyday Food Light

As for me.....I honestly can't think of anything. I usually find a way to work everything I want or crave into my diet.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Low fat flavoured yogurts (Muller Light, blech) - they use so much artificial sweetner in it, you can *taste* the aspartame. This is never good. Yeah, that carton might only be 120kcals, but that's about a (small) glass of wine!

I get on with Danio with fruit, but I see people's points about it being not worth it - much better to have real fruit (you can get in 1 of your five/seven a day that way!) and a good Greek yogurt.

In the main, also pasta, rice and potatoes (sans skin). Love them all, but save them up for days when I'm doing a crazy calorie burn.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I don't eat lasagne any more. It's too high in calories for me to even contemplate fitting it in as I've tried the 'just have a small slice and plenty of salad' approach - that doesn't work for me and lasagne. And any attempt to make it lower calorie makes it nasty.

I just miss out the intermediate bechamel layers, have layers of bolognese and pasta, and only put bechamel and cheese on top. It's still a hefty meal but that can make a fair difference, and it's definitely worth the calories for me. Heck, even restaurant lasagne is worth the calories for me. I've always loved lasagne with a deep and abiding passion and will happily eat crackers for the rest of the day, or go to maintenance or above, for the sake of a wodge of the good stuff.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Anything high calorie that tastes like crap. I have no issue spending calories on yummy items, but it makes me so sad when I decide to work my day to have something high calorie, and look forward to it, then I get it and it's horrible. Most recently happened with KFC. It tasted like sadness :(
  • wannehunter85
    Options
    Heavy sauces like gravy or pre-prepped alfredo. I'd rather make my own homemade sauces that are low cal and taste pretty good. Or I just use natural herbs and seasonings for my food.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You guys are gonna hate me now but...bacon. Never understood the love for it. It's not gross but not worth the hype, either. And especially not worth the calories.
  • therealtomtom
    therealtomtom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has slowed recently because of birthday parties!

Party food/buffett food.

It's the fact you don't monitor what you eat. Chocolate, cake, crisps it's nice but I have to leave it.

As mentioned I have not had peanut butter in a while.

I try to offset now alot of treats with walking.

I have list a good chunk of weight and am going to get strict again, but half way through the process and a few treats are OK.

I think what it has done is made me realise what I am eating and I do try to regulate it slightly more.

They are no longer guilt free treats.

Like I say, the few treats I am having have not had me put any weight on, but my reduction has just plat-toed but I know why.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My mum bought mini pork pies the other day. Being small I thought I would pinch one, but first I had to look up the nutritional value and boy was I glad I did: 167 calories and nearly 9g of fat for something that could fit on a tablespoon! Was utterly not worth me taking a second thought over.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know people are going to yell and throw things but... peanut butter.

I'm going to yell and throw things in agreement. I try to not buy it because it's like crack to me, but OHMYGOD I love peanut butter.

Don't get me started on almond butter...
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise. God I could eat it with everything. But when you look at it properly and realise you basically doubled your calories for the meal with just the condiments, you have to make some difficult decisions!

Bad cheese. You know bad cheese is just as calorie heavy as good cheese? I'm making the call that I'll skip out on the bad stuff so I can have more of the good stuff.

For me, bread only ever used to be a way of eating jam/ cheese/ any sandwich without getting your hands dirty. Now by eliminating it I save like 300 cals. I could eat a chocolate bar for that!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    You guys are gonna hate me now but...bacon. Never understood the love for it. It's not gross but not worth the hype, either. And especially not worth the calories.

my-reaction-after-getting-no-sleep-on-sunday-working-a-hour-night-shift-in-a-warehouse-then-hear-job-33395.gif

Your right, now I hate you, J/K But Bacon is Amazing.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Bad cheese.

+1

I don't buy mild cheddar. It costs half as much as mature but you have to use twice as much before it tastes of anything, which means the same price and twice the calories. And it still doesn't taste as good.

Buy good cheese. It Makes Sense.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Drinks with calories - what a waste to drink calories! Liquid just doesn't stay in the mouth long enough to make it worth it.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Wine is ALWAYS worth the calories :wink:
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There are so many things that are a waste of calories. I agree with everyone who said fast food - I never eat in places like that at the best of times, even though the smell of fried potatoes (I live right on the South Coast of the UK near to all the Fish and Chip shops and there is NOTHING like real F&C shop chips in bread = double carbs with butter and mayo, but I digress). I now look at food as a fuel and try to forget that I LOVE buttery, crumbly croissants warm from the oven spread with cherry preserves and butter...the amount of fuel that they provide for a workout in comparison with the number of daily calories they absorb really does make them a total waste :(
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Cereal!

I always thought it was a great diet food becuase it's bland and leaves you hungry shortly after finishing it. After entering my first bowl in MFP I quickly switched to delicious filling foods like eggs and beans and never looked back.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

YAY!!! Someone else who doesn't like bacon!!! only, I think it's gross! I tried to like it for my mom growing up but just could not develop the taste for it - nasty! :noway:
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    cheap bread ... that stuff is like 90-120 per slice, double it for a sandwich... doesn't keep you full... I'd rather have a nice rye or sourdough or something like that.

on the PB thing, I stay away from it because, I agree one serving is like a tease...that jar is toast..

and bacon.. only 60ish-75 per slice, not bad at all.. but who the hell just eat one slice of bacon??? turkey bacon isn't so bad at like 50 iirc.. so .. i usually save that for saturday breakfast.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Beer. I'm just not a beer girl. I much prefer wine.
    Juices. Not a fan. Lots of calories. (unless it's OJ in my mimosa...)
    Ice cream. Never been a huge fan (I do like Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches though)
    Beef and pork in any form. Cut both out of my diet years ago, and now I prefer turkey and chicken.
    Cake. Never been a huge fan of it. I much prefer brownies or fudge. Mmmm...fudge.

That's all I can think of right now.

Oh. Milk. I used to love it as a kid, but now...IDK. Not so much.
  • lindameeds
    lindameeds Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try and work it backwards? Put into MFP in the morning what I REALLY want for my lunch/dinner and then spend what I have left on the rest of the day ... and if I've not got enough left then have a smaller portion of my WANT.

Problem usually solved! :-)