foods that are not "worth" the calories?

Options

Replies

• gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    mayonnaise is not worth the calories to me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If it's not worth tasting and enjoying, then it ain't worth it. IMO, foods I like to it are worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SCSTWG
    SCSTWG Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Pasta. Basically no taste with a ton of calories. I do love the sauce though and will use it sparingly on other items such as chicken.
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Pasta. I love it, but just not worth the calories for me. I have been using spaghetti squash instead, or making zucchini noodles instead. Not a bad substitute
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    MUFFINS! I love them, but to find one large muffin can run you anywhere from 400-600 calories? That's massive, I'd rather spend my calories on a nice hearty dinner. If I want a muffin now they get chopped in half and I plan for them lol
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
    I was actually about to post asking this. Why do people on MFP include PB in so much of their food when 2 TBS = 200 Cals! I mean that's like a tasting size not a serving size! If I wanted to top that up with some honey, BAM my one slice of PB + Toast+ Honey is like what 400 cal? That's a whole meal worth of calories and it's not even filling!
    I know people are going to yell and throw things but... peanut butter. I love love LOVE it, used to eat a 16 oz jar a week by myself. But 200 cals for 2 TB, and I use double that for a sandwich, so a regular PB&J is 700 or so calories. I was like, my god, no wonder I'm fat. I had one every day for like 2 years in college. XD
    I just dont' get all the PB lovers that feel they can't eat it. I have a sandwich of 40g (2.5Tbs) of Smuckers Natural on 2 pieces of whole wheat toast and a cucumber every day at work for lunch, and my whole lunch is 400 calories and perfectly filling. Now if I put that PB on a bagel, it's not worth the calories unless it's pre long ride.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Pop. I drink it occasionally. But I hate logging it. :grumble:
  • Lpethybridge2014
    Options
    The worst is when you decide to splurge and you buy something at the store or at a restaurant expecting it to be your delicious treat for the week and then it tastes awful. I have learned my lesson now :(

Also salads at restaurants.. especially chain restaurants, if you look online at the nutritional guide you might as well have just had a burger and fries. Sometimes its kind of shocking!!
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Starbucks comment... and that goes for any drinks with calories, I prefer not to drink my calories - I like to eat them.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Chocolate eclairs. Nothing says "not worth it" like these.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You guys are gonna hate me now but...bacon. Never understood the love for it. It's not gross but not worth the hype, either. And especially not worth the calories.

my-reaction-after-getting-no-sleep-on-sunday-working-a-hour-night-shift-in-a-warehouse-then-hear-job-33395.gif

Your right, now I hate you, J/K But Bacon is Amazing.

Um, if you can't have bacon, whats the point? EVERYTHING is better with bacon. Case in point: My daughter sprained her ankle while running. I was very swollen and I told her to put bacon on it because everything was made better by bacon. Her ankle got better! See, bacon is the best!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I agree with Peanut Butter although I love it, but I haven't had it in a couple of months. Cheese on a cheeseburger. Remove the cheese at 100 calories and you've got a good hamburger. I don't have anything on mine except mushrooms (very low and yummy). They bring out the umami taste that I often crave. I love the taste of just the burger, bun, and mushrooms. Nothing else. Cheese on a salad. That 130 calorie salad (w/o dressing) goes down to 30 calories without the cheese and is just as satisfying. Fruit juices. I miss my daily o.j. but it doesn't make sense.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You guys are gonna hate me now but...bacon. Never understood the love for it. It's not gross but not worth the hype, either. And especially not worth the calories.

my-reaction-after-getting-no-sleep-on-sunday-working-a-hour-night-shift-in-a-warehouse-then-hear-job-33395.gif

Your right, now I hate you, J/K But Bacon is Amazing.

This... "You either like bacon, or you're wrong." lol

Oh yeah!!!!
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Used to eat fornetti for breakfast. Sweet or salty, don't matter. Those things are swollen with calories that don't fill you up. On my very first day of logging it made 2/3s of my plan at 9am! WTH?! :noway:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    brussels sprouts
    asparagus
    black licorice
    cauliflower
    quinoa
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Croissants... I love them so much but... just not worth it as they don't fill you up at all
    Most donuts. Unless it's the apple cider ones from local farm or the jelly ones from Whole Foods (they have a French chef here)
    BBQ ribs
    BBQ/Buffalo wings
    Butter (I still use it in recipes occasionally but that's it)
    Any deep dish pizza
    Mayo
    French fries
    Soda
    Alcohol
    Juice

I'd put cake, cookies or chocolate in there but they are worth the calories in small quantities, lol.

I agree with almost all of this. I was never much of a juice drinker anyway so that is pretty much gone. Not big on drinking my calories!

I do have some alcohol (wine), and small amounts of butter.

I don't love doughuts enough to eat them much.

I eat light mayo since I can't tell the difference.

I would add to this list a lot of the potato chips/tortilla chips/cheese curls. I do love them and have them on occasion, but with the high calories, not very filling and little nutrition, it's hard to fit them into my day.

Things I really love I do fit in. I have dark chocolate every day. I try to squeeze in cookies and/or cake when I can. I love bread and butter, so I will have a good crusty Italian roll in a restaurant.

I adore pasta, but if I have that as an entree, I don't get enough protein.

I believe in IIFYM, but when you are trying to get enough protein and restricting calories, it is hard to fit in all the yummy carbs I love. I've eliminated (or nearly) the things that don't do much for me, like juice. I've reduced the things that aren't worth it except on occassion, and fit into my day or week the things I really love.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Store bought cookies or processed ones like Chips Ahoy. If I am going to eat the calories of a chocolate chip cookies, it needs to be homemade or froma good bakery. I will never give up chocolate chip cookies :)

Delivery or frozen pizza.....either homemade or make a night of it and go to a good pizza joint and eat pizza with beer. I could not tell you the last time I had delivery or frozen pizza.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I know people are going to yell and throw things but... peanut butter. I love love LOVE it, used to eat a 16 oz jar a week by myself. But 200 cals for 2 TB, and I use double that for a sandwich, so a regular PB&J is 700 or so calories. I was like, my god, no wonder I'm fat. I had one every day for like 2 years in college. XD

ummm make a smaller pb&J sandwich….?

or have less for breakfast so you can have pb&j you want…?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - if it fits my macro and calorie targets for the day then I will eat it…no food should be "off limits"...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    ooh I already posted but wanna add juice, "slushies", regular soda, and milkshakes.

And lattes, mochas, frappes, etc.

I don't find calories worth it when I drink them, unless it's alcohol ;-)