craziest-weirdest things seen at the gym

Options

Replies

• bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There is a lady that dances with her arms while on the eliptical. She will look around and smile at the people that are watching her.

Hey! Don't judge me! I'm a Zumba instructor and I am running my routines in my head (complete with cueing) while listening to my set list on the elliptical. And of course I'm smiling ... it's my Zumba set music and I always have a ridiculous smile on my face when I do Zumba. :)
  • JohnMatrix
    Options
    I used to work out at a gym where this one guy just before he would do his squat set would sniff an uncut number 2 pencil. He would move it back and forth under his nose muttering something for a couple seconds then do his set. Every. Single. Set. It was and still is the strangest thing I have ever seen in 20+ years. My lifting partner and I would jokingly call this guy The Missing Link.
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I repeatedly encountered a strange, seemingly harmless man walking on the treadmill while very passionately conducting his invisible orchestra. There wasn’t any music playing (no radio, no earbuds). Occasionally he would mutter or point his invisible baton at other people (real or imaginary) to cue them.

I don't know what I was thinking (I wasn't), so one day I raised my imaginary violin on cue and started “playing” along… He looked as if he were about to explode with joy. I “played” for a few bars and then bowed out... and then left.

So, I’m probably going to hell for encouraging the delusions of a mentally ill person…Aaaand then I couldn't use the treadmills anymore when he was there because, well... he kept trying to cue me for solos. :ohwell:

You totally made his day. That's awesome.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Older Asian lady in a dress on the good girl/bad girl machine.

I am so not even kidding.

damn.gif

For me? Probably when I was getting in position for a barbell squat, some guy came over and started to take a plate from my barbell. I was like, DAFUQ?
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Okay, you asked for it.

Grossest thing I ever saw in the gym occurred in the locker room. A naked huge fat woman was applying lotion to the crevice between her buttocks. Right out in the open there where everyone could see. Taking her time, enjoying herself.

She was standing in front of the mirror above the sinks and watching herself do it. I mean, if you must, you could at least go into a bathroom stall and do that, right?

Saints preserve us all.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a man playing racquet ball in lime green unitard - just strange looking.
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I apparently only go to gyms with crazy people so I'll start off with my own first (because pot, meet kettle)

My trainer was teaching me some things to do on the foam roller and had me rolling out my inner thigh, a move that is pretty suggestive. I noticed a guy videoing me from the reflection of his phone in the mirror. I immediately jumped up and started lecturing him which didn't really work considering he was a very large guy and I am 5'1" on a tall day. I totally embarrassed myself but I didn't want to be a fitness meme!

We have a woman who every morning is in the shower and you can here noises/moans/groans that I really think she is touching herself.

Another woman likes to take naked selfies in the big floor length wall mirror by the outlets so I've taken to photo bombing her.

I've also caught the same old guy napping in the stretching area.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had to read all of these to make sure I wasn't guilty of any of these. The only one mentioned was practice swings in between reps. I play baseball and softball and yes I practice my swing sometimes. I usually grab a small bar so I'm not empty handed.

I did a leg workout including squats in dress shoes because I forgot my tennis shoes.

Definitely not down with the toe shoes.

The coffee thing goes back to at least the 80's. Bodybuilders would drink coffee before and while working out to get more pumped and vascular.

I had a friend who swore he got better workouts stoned.

I knew an alcoholic bodybuilder with a pharmacist friend. He was so loaded up on painkillers that he tore his bicep and didn't know it for a month.

I knew a guy who got kicked out of at least 3 gyms including 2 Gold's Gyms, 2 mixed martial arts studios and at least one Whole Foods Market. He would pound sugary drinks while working out and sometimes get nose bleeds.

I've seen a woman who would dance in the squat rack and the tread mill while checking herself out the whole time. She had a license plate that indicated she was a dominatrix.

An older man walked up to the urinal in the men's locker room completely nude, peed without using his hands and walked away making a pee trail on the floor.

A woman was on the tread mill at a 24 Hour Fitness in pajamas with curlers in her hair at around 9 in the morning.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    There was this woman on the elliptical, and was yelling out the answers to Jeopardy...wait, that was me :ohwell: I also wear Vibram Five Fingers, I feel like I get more stability when I'm deadlifting because I can spread my toes out.

OMG! I'm the weird/crazy person in the gym!!!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    how about the guy who gets out of the pool dries off puts on his sneakers and and comes out to lift weights... in .. his .... Speedo banana hammock!!!! true story. happened when i was training a client we just about pissed ourselves we were laughing so hard!!!!!:laugh: :noway:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there is a guy at my gym that is a typical hunter-gatherer, meaning that he grabs a bunch of items like a bosu ball, kettle bells, dumb bells, and such, and keeps them around him for a very long time to do his work out.

he also grabs one of those little bodypump barbells without any weight on it, stands on a bosu ball, and practices his golf swing.

i also once overheard him talking to his gym buddy about how he's the only one in the gym that gets a good work out, because he stays in one area, meanwhile other people (he meant me) go from area to area and never get in a good work out. i was doing OHP in the squat rack, and then went to the bench which was on the other side of the floor to do bench press, and then back to the middle to do pull ups on the tall pull up bar.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You have got to be joking! What's that about? What is a so called "5-star" gym anyway?
    Signs outside each cardio room in a 5-star gym "NO WATER BOTTLES ALLOWED IN GYM". :huh:

Along with that sign, is "NO CHEWING GUM ALOWED IN GYM"

:angry:
  • dlemond1128
    dlemond1128 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The guy with his pants sagging and his boxer shorts showing while he was on the treadmill. I was on the elliptical behind him and was trying my hardest not to laugh.

The guy that comes and walks on the treadmill with his oxygen mask.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The guy with his pants sagging and his boxer shorts showing while he was on the treadmill. I was on the elliptical behind him and was trying my hardest not to laugh.

seems like he was doing well with the weight loss though... maybe better than he realised, hence the saggy trousers.
  • dlemond1128
    dlemond1128 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

seems like he was doing well with the weight loss though... maybe better than he realised, hence the saggy trousers.

I can only wish that was the truth, but I am sure it was on purpose.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The guy that comes and walks on the treadmill with his oxygen mask.

It was probably an oxygen-deprivation mask...

...not that that information makes it look any less ridiculous.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    One time there as a woman working out in a tube top:noway:

And another time I saw a woman eat two special K bars while walking on the tread mill at about 2.5. Not judging - after all maybe her goal wasn't weight loss or fitness and she just likes eating cereal bars while walking on the treadmill. OK...and maybe it was a rehab thing? Seriously who needs to eat while on the treadmill. Ok NOW I'm judging.:wink:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Anybody ever see "The People of Walmart" website? I'm totally thinking we need a "The People at My Gym" version! I don't know why I so desperately want to see (safe) images of all these shenanigans. I hope that doesn't make *me* weird. (Prolly.)
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Last month a guy got on the treadmill next to me. Answered his phone. Proceeded to get dumped over the phone. Proceeded to cry (little sobs and LOTS of snot)

ALL WHILE RUNNING NEXT TO ME.

I was pretty impressed that he kept running while crying in public, but wth?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There is a man who comes to my gym and drinks a mini bottle of Sutter Home Merlot while on the treadmill. He is my idol.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Last month a guy got on the treadmill next to me. Answered his phone. Proceeded to get dumped over the phone. Proceeded to cry (little sobs and LOTS of snot)

ALL WHILE RUNNING NEXT TO ME.

I was pretty impressed that he kept running while crying in public, but wth?

Awwww... :flowerforyou: for :cry: :brokenheart: runner dude!