A LADY WHO LIFTS - 1 year of progress! (pics)

Options

Replies

• fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You look sensational, and strong! Very envious and inspired.

Can I ask a question?
    I read your previous posts about eating near to maintenance when you are lifting, but what if you have a lot of weight to lose? I'm on 1600 just now, my goal weight is literally half of my starting weight, so I have a long way to go! Would it be okay to eat at more of a deficit?

I sent you a PM about this with more info, but for everyone else wondering....

so the way losing weight works. You can lose weight faster while you have a lot to lose until it slows down. When you lose fat you inevitably also lose muscle. The bigger your deficit the more muscle you lose with your fat. To put this in perspective, when I started lifting I lost almost another 2 inches off my waist bc muscle takes up less space and makes you tighter. If you do strength training (even body weight exercises) while losing weight, you will lose lbs slower but you will be losing fat and less muscle so in the end you will end up smaller. It may be hard to believe but gaining back muscle is even harder than losing weight in general.

I imagine that 1600 cals is too low for you if you have half your bodyweight to lose. Try using the calculators at iifym.com to calculate how many macros and calories you should be eating. If you need to halve your body weight, expect the weight loss journey to take at least a year if not more. But slow little changes will make a big payoff and the way I think about it, stopping will never get you closer to your goals. You just gotta keep going! I don't know your height weight age or activity level, but I imagine you need at least 1800 plus exercise cals. But ideally just try different calorie intakes until you start losing no faster than 1 lb per week. I would just accept now that it's going to take longer than you would like to lose weight. But it will be worth it!!!

To keep your sanity, my biggest tip is to take progress photos. Every 2 weeks or every month and it will help you see that you are making progress even when the scale isn't moving. And also take measurements once a month because those will also help you track progress.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    For anyone wondering how things have been going for me in the past year since this post was originally posted...

In the past year I've continued various heavy lifting / accessory lifting programs. I've added in a little cardio here and there, more recently about 3x a week 15-20 min hiit since January 2014. In May 2013 I hurt my left knee and had to slow down with my lower body lifts for a good 6 months. I still have not come even close to where I was on squats, but have done a lot of other heavy leg work to shape my legs how I would like them. Certain moves hurt my knees and others don't. I'll be really happy to be able to squat my body weight again after all this time! That being said, I've been able to really progress on my deadlifts despite my squats staying behind!!! (see below)

I follow IIFYM religiously, I just finished a 6 week metabolism reset / reverse diet kinda experiment with higher carbs to see if that would help me lose weight at a higher caloric intake. I am back down to 2000 cals now (total, not net), 200g carbs, 71g fat, 140g protein.

My weight has gone up to about 141-144 lbs depending on the day. I started the year with my measurements up a little from some holiday fluff too, but I've since leaned out again and am making great strides towards my goal of seeing my abs this summer :) I'm pretty sure in the past 2 years of lifting and eating a lot that I have successfully put on a good amount of muscle. My goal weight is no longer as low as it was before. I am thinking 138-140 now. But I mostly go by pictures, how I feel, and measurements.

New measurements:
    03/21/12
    > 03/21/13 ----> 3/9/14
    Waist: 26" ----> 24.75" ---> 25.5"
    Hips (hip bone): 33"
    > 31.5" ---> 32.8"
    Thighs: 20.2"
    > 21.0" ----> 22.5" (FINALLY the gains in my quads!)
    Arms (flexed): 10.0"
    > 11.1"
    > 12"
    Just below bellybutton: 29"
    > 27.25" ----> 28"
    Under Breasts (ribs) 29.5"
    > 27.1"
    > 27"
    Over Breasts: 34.5"
    > 31.0"
    > 31.8"
    True Hips (widest part) 37.5"
    > 38.5" (Yay a butt!!!!)
    ^^ I didn't measure this until 01/27/13.

Lift Progress: (March 2012 --> March 2013 ---> Now)

Squats: 50 lbs (2x15) ----> 145 lbs (5x5) ----> 125 lbs (3x5)
    Rows: 30 lbs (2x15)
    > 90lbs (5x5)
    > 100 lbs (3x5)
    Deadlifts: 60 lbs (2x12) --> 145 lbs (1x5) ----> 200 lbs (1x5) (!!!! Huge goal accomplished here :laugh: )
    OHP: X
    > 70 lbs (5x5) ----> 80 lbs (5x5) (I haven't done OHP regularly since last summer)
    Bench Press: X
    > 90 lbs (5x5) ----> 105 lbs (3x5) (Again I only recently started doing bench again)

As you can see, I've fluctuated a bit but mostly maintained my measurements despite being up about 10 lbs from last year. So yay muscle!

I am especially happy about my back's progress since 2 years ago when I started lifting. It's one area where I can really tell that I've gained muscle.

b708a995-4d68-4e09-b867-c7746c3e43ca_zps1a9d5a99.jpg

Despite being up 10 lbs, the areas where I gain fat are generally the same.

9342d501-1393-47a6-ab70-151e5e428906_zps3ba1841d.jpg

And on good days I even have the start of some abs! (Oh and I got a new tattoo :):):) )

2319e03a-a8c3-4448-aeae-8d17d7860bcc_zpse97e5a3d.jpg

Anyways, still definitely not bulky :)

9b7213e1-4f8d-4770-b725-13d30d977eb5_zpsf1937590.jpg

Again I love answering questions about lifting. I dont' claim to be an expert but I can definitely tell you what I do. I don't starve myself, and I work out regularly. I meal prep all the food for myself and my bf on Sundays so I have little room for temptation during the week. But if I want pizza or dessert I eat it, I make it work to fit my macros, the beauty of IIFYM. Just like all of weight loss, getting the abs / body I want is going to require figuring out how my body works. I'm always tweaking macros or intake or workouts to find out what works for ME personally. (Like every 6-12 weeks I change things to see how it effects me). Lifting and eating well has definitely become a huge and enjoyable part of my life, it's one of the things I enjoy most and I 've made a lot of good friendships from it!

My fitness instagram is @fit_ky now because I left my phd program lol. MFP won't let me change my user name :P

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Maybe I should post this update in a new thread? Meh oh well lol.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    ^Think this update deserved a new thread :P nevertheless your progress is amazing and thanks for updating us, such an inspiration to all women! :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    wow - to all of this!!

Your back is gorgeous! I'm on my way to that ;)
  • leahcarrie
    leahcarrie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Incredible! Strong is sexy for sure!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    What a fab post please feel free to add me I bought NROLFW today and I cant wait to get tons of facts and knowledge and get strong thank you so much truly inspirational and not at all patronising way to go you and your body is fabulous I so have body envy right now and that will drive me to follow in your footsteps
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Wow, great work!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    What a fab post please feel free to add me I bought NROLFW today and I cant wait to get tons of facts and knowledge and get strong thank you so much truly inspirational and not at all patronising way to go you and your body is fabulous I so have body envy right now and that will drive me to follow in your footsteps

Aw thank you! It's taken a long time to learn all this... I was always the non-athletic type and now I'm so different! But once you find something you love, dive right in! I'll add you, let me know if you have questions.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Congrats Fittie! Love the pics and thank you for responding to people's questions!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing, well done. My goals are similar to your finish. (I am a little larger frame but my waist goal and thigh goal are the same as yours, my hip aim is to be 36' though.) How tall are you? I skimmed over your results, and I am going to reread everything so if it's there never mind the question. I ask because 130 is my target weight and I'd like to know if you are close to my height or taller/shorter.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing, well done. My goals are similar to your finish. (I am a little larger frame but my waist goal and thigh goal are the same as yours, my hip aim is to be 36' though.) How tall are you? I skimmed over your results, and I am going to reread everything so if it's there never mind the question. I ask because 130 is my target weight and I'd like to know if you are close to my height or taller/shorter.

Hey! I am 5'8", I think I mentioned it but maybe I didn't :) Everyone's goal weight will be different though, the scale really isn't what's important. As I mentioned in my 2 year update post, although my initial weight goal was 128 lbs-130 lbs, now it's more like 138 because of the muscle I have gained. Plus everyone has different builds, like boob size, foot size, water weight that is carried, etc etc etc. Don't knock getting that hip measurement up higher--- when it's all muscle having a booty looks great ;) I love having mine at 38" now vs the pancake I started with! lol! Good luck!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    omg you look incredible!! definitely going to start lifting again!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just fabulous - amazing work!!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Fantastic.... All I can say.... FANTASTIC
  • VinceDelmonte
    Options
    Amazing dedication your an inspiration to women all across the USA
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    WOW! I want to be a lady that lifts too! I still have quite a few pounds to lose, and don't know if I should deal with that first, or if lifting to start with would help. You're quite the motivation!
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! I've been lifting for a little over a month now and am already pleased with the results I'm seeing. I am 5'7", currently 136 and have a goal of 130, but mostly want to tighten up my tummy and thighs. Lifting leaves me feeling so much more empowered and capable than any cardio! I just followed you on Instagram to keep up with your progress.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    bump
    (BTW you look awesome)
  • fittiephd
    Options
    WOW! I want to be a lady that lifts too! I still have quite a few pounds to lose, and don't know if I should deal with that first, or if lifting to start with would help. You're quite the motivation!

Nope you can definitely start lifting asap! strength training helps you maintain your muscle mass while you are losing weight. without strength training and eating at a deficit you will lose more muscle with the fat you lose, if you strength train it helps you lose just the fat :) (well you still lose a litte muscle just not as much as if you weren't lifting)

Feel free to message me more questions!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!