Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    some are better then others.

the biggest problem is lack of basic equipment.

It seems funny to me that they have problems with you making to much noise or dropping a weight etc, but they have no problem with guys doing plyojumps on the vinyl benches (not that you see this that often).

Vinyl wont last long with that.

One thing that i will give them credit for is that they upgrade equipment A LOT more often then any other guy i've belonged to. Too bad its crap i never use.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that the general "eat all the foodz" sentiment of the MFP forums shifts on Planet Fitness threads. "Free pizza! Why would anyone eat pizza if they're trying to lose weight?! Never going there."

Other than that, it seems as if these horror stories are pretty isolated incidents. I think it's safe to say that it is not an across the board policy to kick out those who are not dressed in burkas or who lift heavy weights.

It is clear, though, that Planet Fitness' marketing strategy has been to exclude heavy lifting enthusiasts in favour of those who are primarily interested in working out to lose weight, by drawing a divide between "lunks" and "normal people". I may be weird but I don't understand why this causes so much PF hatred (other than it being cool for "serious" workout-ers (lol) to hate them now). If you're not invited, just don't go!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    also find the pizza thing funny.

I'd wear a freakin uniform if thats what it took to get access to real gym equipment for ten bucks a month lol
  • fuzilojak
    fuzilojak Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yeah, before my accident and then massive weight gain I was cycling 35-40 miles a day, 6-7 days a week, plus going to the gym 5 days a week. I'll probably never will get back to that routine again but I will want to gain more muscle once I get the fat off.

For toning and basic weight lifting I think they're fine. The candy and food does throw me a bit. :)
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    And that's the thing though with the pizza and bagels. You aren't forced to eat it!!!

I have never been to "pizza day" at the gym. We have bagels and coffee and if I remember I go because it's free coffee (and it's GOOD coffee too) LOL and yes, I'll grab a bagel on the way out and save it for lunch. They're not bad for you and again no one is forcing the food down your throat. I have also never grabbed any tootsie rolls on my way out either.

I'm sure if they stopped offering those items and instead set up a juice and protein bar then the sentiment about offering "food" would be drastically different.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    ef2c58a6fb567f012be7383ee6f375da.jpg
  • PeachyGAPeanut
    Options
    My planet fitness is normal, with normal employees also. I love it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ef2c58a6fb567f012be7383ee6f375da.jpg

*like*
  • hbcfit13
    hbcfit13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't aware of any of this! I've been a member at 24 Hour Fitness for about 9 years and have recently considered switching to Planet Fitness since it's about half the price and the other perks are attractive. But considering I want to eventually become a fitness model, these articles are deterring me from switching over. It's ridiculous that anyone at a gym could be "too toned" or "too hot". Isn't that the point of working out? WTF?
  • jgsimon1
    jgsimon1 Posts: 61
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. I enjoy being there. There are plenty of machines to use even when the parking lot is packed. There are people there of all ages, shapes and sizes. The people are respectful and it seems like everyone enjoys working out there. It is a fitness center. The tootsie rolls at the front desk are minimal in calories and you sure don't have to eat any if you don't want any. The pizza night is optional also. I've never gone for that. I go in, do my work out and leave. I wear yoga pants and racer back tank tops and nobody says anything. The only thing I've ever heard one of the staff say to a member was to a girl who was gabbing on her phone loudly while she was taking up a treadmill.....he just asked her to use her phone in the lobby if she needed to.
    Other than that, it's clean, machines are nice and I have no problems while I'm there.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    did this make the cut of horror stories?

http://gawker.com/5855101/rampaging-gymgoer-killed-by-taser-attack

doesn't look like a good source, but this did actually happen locally
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    another PF zinger

the employee is/was transgendered, don't know if thats in the article. I actually went to this one. people were saying there was some kind of relationship that went bad

http://albany.wnyt.com/news/crime/102496-planet-fitness-employee-charged-groping-teen
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    did this make the cut of horror stories?

http://gawker.com/5855101/rampaging-gymgoer-killed-by-taser-attack

doesn't look like a good source, but this did actually happen locally

Wow, that's nuts! And speaking of nuts, I caught "Man Swings His Nuts..." in the corner of my eye as I was closing the tab, so I had to go back and read that one, too. *giggles*
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am a member. Its $10 a month and fairly easy to ignore the tootsie rolls and free pizza once a month. Facilities are clean. No lines for the equipment. I dare say most gringas are there for the tanning.

It's better than the Anytime Fitness ($45/month) I was a member of who pushed 400 calorie "health" smoothies daily and had "lunk" type employees roaming around "encouraging" people to "push it! push it! push it!"

But I have never heard the lunk alarm and everyone, employees included, seem to be in on the joke. Weight lifters are left to do their thing without harassment or condescension.

Both places had questionable "trainers."

They all have their ups and downs.

That right there! I too joined PF about a month ago. At the Anytime Fitness that I checked out there was no trainer that could help me except the little girl working the desk and you know those young types...they talk like "well...you can do this, it's pretty easy..blah blah blah" I say give me someone to help me out correctly! PF I had help but still was lost but I do have a good friend that helped me out a lot and now I don't need those trainers, just let me go, leave me alone, I want to be in and out.
  • StephVa22
    StephVa22 Posts: 28
    Options
    I joined PF only b/c it was the closest 24 hour gym (I go at 4 in the morning, before my kid wakes up) with reasonable prices. I wish there was a One Life closer to me, with the hours I need so I can take them up on Kettle Bell classes and Zumba. BUT, the PF I go to has friendly employees, its clean, and like I said affordable.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't everyone just go to the gym that fits their needs? Not everyone wants to squat 300lbs or deadlift 400lbs. Some people *gasp* just want to be average.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is an amazing thread. I've been a PF member for 3 years and never an issue. My PF suits the needs I have and is super clean, the staff is always friendly and helpful. Unfortunately everyone does like the same things, some like Big Mac's some like Whoppers, why should it bother me either way? You must make the choice that fits you. As far as the food and candy not once in my 3 years has the staff of PF forced me to eat any of it. The Pizza they buy comes from the best pizza joint in town and is hard to resist but I do.

Someone early hit the nose on the head when they said franchise. Generally a franchisee has guidelines from the parent company and as long as they comply they are free to run their business as they see fit. Odds are you have got cold fries at a McDonalds and hot fries at a McDonalds. Maybe they were 2 different franchisees. Did that make you judge McDonalds as a whole?
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    PF is the business, man!

super cheap, clean and has the coveted arc trainer that keeps my fat *kitten* very happy (and less fat).

to each their own. you know, like how some people like to snark just to snark and how others ..don't? each their own. ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So bascially any gym that has heavy lifters are A__ H____ Gyms and "we" intimidate other people and are basic juice heads...and anyone that wears "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout in looks like an A__ ...

All coming from planet fitness members...interesting...

Ironic posts are ironic...

*shakes head, puts on hot pants, sports bra, tank top, drinks some juice and goes to lift something heavy*

and people wonder why PF gets made fun of....jeeez louise...

I suspect the posters who said these things are the type to complain to managment which are then forced to deal with someone who isn't doing anything wrong...