Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for six months. There are plenty of bulky men there and women who are fit and none get kicked out.

Not all are the same. The ones that made it in the news seems to be extreme owners or something.

We also have a great free weight section. Our lunk alarm never goes and I hear plenty being dropped on the floor.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So bascially any gym that has heavy lifters are A__ H____ Gyms and "we" intimidate other people and are basic juice heads...and anyone that wears "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout in looks like an A__ ...

All coming from planet fitness members...interesting...

Ironic posts are ironic...

*shakes head, puts on hot pants, sports bra, tank top, drinks some juice and goes to lift something heavy*

and people wonder why PF gets made fun of....jeeez louise...

I suspect the posters who said these things are the type to complain to managment which are then forced to deal with someone who isn't doing anything wrong...

FWIW: I never said any of those things.

And I go to Planet Fitness.

Oh, and there are other people who posted that go to PF that pretty much said the same things I did, which again, were not any of the above comments.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    So bascially any gym that has heavy lifters are A__ H____ Gyms and "we" intimidate other people and are basic juice heads...and anyone that wears "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout in looks like an A__ ...

*shakes head, puts on hot pants, sports bra, tank top, drinks some juice and goes to lift something heavy*

I suspect the posters who said these things are the type to complain to managment which are then forced to deal with someone who isn't doing anything wrong...

Oh, and there are other people who posted that go to PF that pretty much said the same things I did, which again, were not any of the above comments.

yeah but people need somethign to complain about!!! even when it has no bearing on them
  • Routerninja
    Routerninja Posts: 201
    Options
    Former PF member, I was with them for a while but ended up quitting because of the high pressure tactics from the trainers. I kept refusing and *EVERY* time I was in there they would keep trying to sell me, and I asked them to just leave me alone and let me work out, and I would get attitude from them about how I wasn't serious enough to be in a gym if I didn't want their help.

YMMV, but that was my experience at least.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Because there aren't enough ant hills being kicked today, what is wrong with the pizza? If I've got room for it, I take a slice. It weirded me out at first to see it there, but then again, no food is bad food right?
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a fan of mine. I am about to end my membership but that is because my office moved to a new building that has all of the things that I use at PF in a gym on site.... (why pay for it) However there are people of all shapes as sizes at any one that I've been to. I've heard the lunk alarm a few times and it is because the one jacked guy at the front desk thinks it funny and buzzes it at his friends. The same person is so helpful and supporting of those who need want and as for the help. For the price you pay I don't think I'd ever join another gym if I had to get a membership again!
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both joined PF about a month ago and I see women and men in there ALL THE TIME in running shorts and tanks with no problems whatsoever. I guess it is all where they are located. The people are nice and it is pretty easy to ignore the tootsie rolls and bagel bar in the early morning hours.

There are weightlifters in there who lift all the time with no problems. There is a full set of free weights including machines as well. Rows upon rows of barbells.

Maybe we lucked out and have one of the nicer ones, but at 10 bucks a month...you can't beat that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness and I appreciate the fact it's a gym for everybody. I guess when I lose all my weight and start bulking up then I'll want to join the A_ _ H_ _ _ Gym so I can be like the people I was intimidated by when I was just another fatty who needeed to lose weight and get in shape...NOT! FYI , every Planet Fitness I've been in has free weights, barbells and cages if you chose to use them, what it doesn't have is juiced up muscle heads, join it and enjoy it because it's a nice place to get in shape at a reasonable cost.

Are you sure it was them being the *kitten* hats and not you...your attitude is pretty *kitten* hatish....perhaps you are just projecting your own ****ty attitude.

Also, not every PF has free weights and cages...there are several in my city and none of them have cages and very limited free weights...mostly dumbbells.
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been a member for six months. There are plenty of bulky men there and women who are fit and none get kicked out.

Not all are the same. The ones that made it in the news seems to be extreme owners or something.

We also have a great free weight section. Our lunk alarm never goes and I hear plenty being dropped on the floor.

i legit believed the lunk alarm was a joke. i haven't been there when it has gone off, either. nor have i been to a pizza night (and not deliberately. my routine must miss that monthly occurrence).

now i sort of want to hear the alarm go off. the rebel in me is tempted to pull, but the spazz most likely will prevail.

this scaredy-cat ain't pullin' *kitten*.
  • niclsarios
    niclsarios Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to lift heavy, work hard, proud of my accomplishments like you all and wouldn't join a gym without being able to squat and deadlift. But I still don't see the point of this ridiculous thread, besides some people making themselves look like idiots.

"Think I'll sign up and see how fast I get kicked out" "I'll put on my bad *kitten* bandana and get kicked out with you" "Stay at Planet "no gainz" so more weights for me, BRAH" "Getting a gift to help change your lifestyle and help you get healthy is like getting coal in your stocking" Really?

*shakes head, ponders what is wrong with people, why they care about something that doesn't matter to them, drinks sip of water, and realize some people just can't help looking like fools.*

Just go do you and worry about stuff that actually matters to you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness and I appreciate the fact it's a gym for everybody. I guess when I lose all my weight and start bulking up then {b]I'll want to join the A_ _ H_ _ _ Gym so I can be like the people I was intimidated by when I was just another fatty who needeed to lose weight and get in shape...NOT![/b] FYI , every Planet Fitness I've been in has free weights, barbells and cages if you chose to use them, what it doesn't have is juiced up muscle heads, join it and enjoy it because it's a nice place to get in shape at a reasonable cost.
    Sidenote: Work out attire... I personally don't enjoy it when people wear inappropriate clothing (such as only underthings like sports bras and hot pants), however, it's their right to look like an *kitten*. I know when I see men and women in outfits like that (at the gym OR at yoga) it's all about the show and not so much the work. And I just tune them right on out.

This quote defending the first quote from the person who posted the 2nd quote
    Oh c'mon now. You know there is a difference between lifting and being a jerk. Screaming, being loud, hogging equipment, grunting excessively, or basically just being an *kitten* is very different than lifting. You can do any of those nasty behaviors on any piece of equipment. No ad says NO LIFTING or NO LIFTERS. It is basically saying leave the douche bag behavior at home.
    I grunt, am loud and sometimes drop the weight when I am lifting...but have yet to hear a runner grunt much...

I never said you did I said the posters of these comments meaning the ones I referred to and have now quoted for clairity..

I wont ever join PF because it isn't a judgment free zone and based on everything I have seen (esp in this thread) it seems that the judging that happens at a lot of their gyms are by those who claim a fit person is intimidating or a woman who wears workout gear looks like an *kitten*...

I have lots of friends who wont join either...yes we are all lifters but to be frank we aren't welcome at many PF fitness centers...and I wouldn't go if i can't wear my tanks and hot pants...

edited to fix quotes
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Nope, but there was a poster on the first page that did......FWIW.
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like to lift heavy, work hard, proud of my accomplishments like you all and wouldn't join a gym without being able to squat and deadlift. But I still don't see the point of this ridiculous thread, besides some people making themselves look like idiots.

"Think I'll sign up and see how fast I get kicked out" "I'll put on my bad *kitten* bandana and get kicked out with you" "Stay at Planet "no gainz" so more weights for me, BRAH" "Getting a gift to help change your lifestyle and help you get healthy is like getting coal in your stocking" Really?

*shakes head, ponders what is wrong with people, why they care about something that doesn't matter to them, drinks sip of water, and realize some people just can't help looking like fools.*

:drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness and I appreciate the fact it's a gym for everybody. I guess when I lose all my weight and start bulking up then I'll want to join the A_ _ H_ _ _ Gym so I can be like the people I was intimidated by when I was just another fatty who needeed to lose weight and get in shape...NOT! FYI , every Planet Fitness I've been in has free weights, barbells and cages if you chose to use them, what it doesn't have is juiced up muscle heads, join it and enjoy it because it's a nice place to get in shape at a reasonable cost.

the problem is it is NOT a gym for everybody- and that's the whole point- the built an entire franchise around EXCLUDING fitness professionals- or serious athletes- which is why it's the laughing stock of all the gyms.

an I'm not sure why you think that anyone who lifts and 'bulks' is an *kitten* and intimidating- most people you are calling out as *kitten*- guess what- they are SUPER nice- first to offer you hand when you need help or give you pointers when you need it.

Verses stepping foot in to a gym that's entire premise is BASED on judging people who are serious about their training.

PF is a good 2nd gym- or a gym where you just need to get something done out side your house- but it's a terrible ONLY gym for anyone who takes weight training seriously.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I'll just leave this here....
    Honestly, if PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

the problem is it is NOT a gym for everybody- and that's the whole point- the built an entire franchise around EXCLUDING fitness professionals- or serious athletes- which is why it's the laughing stock of all the gyms.

an I'm not sure why you think that anyone who lifts and 'bulks' is an *kitten* and intimidating- most people you are calling out as *kitten*- guess what- they are SUPER nice- first to offer you hand when you need help or give you pointers when you need it.

Verses stepping foot in to a gym that's entire premise is BASED on judging people who are serious about their training.

PF is a good 2nd gym- or a gym where you just need to get something done out side your house- but it's a terrible ONLY gym for anyone who takes weight training seriously.

not a gym for everyone?

Not a gym at all! lol.

Thats what the comercial says and it applies
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh hai OP. I'm happy for your success and pride in that success. Just FYI: There are probably 20 active PF hate threads at any given moment on MFP. You probably thought you were adding something to the conversation that warranted a new topic, or that you were being witty and original... but you were mistaken. Good day.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    the thing that i object to is that fact that a 10 a month gym can only be sustainable if a large percentage of the people NEVER go, or almost never go.

I'm pretty sure there's something built in to the buisness model that ultimately discourages attendance.

or maybe its just the fact that it is ten dollars and this will attract some of those on the fringe of being dedicated shall we say. they come for a month, then stop with intentions of continuing, never make it back, but 10 bucks a month doesn't smart so bad.

they got my dad like that.

I guess i don't like the fact that the success ultimate hinges on the majority of members failing
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

read the whole thread..some of those responses were responding to people saying anyone that does not go to PF and lifts heavy is an Ahole by default...

but way to cherry pick with zero contex....
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Oh hai OP. I'm happy for your success and pride in that success. Just FYI: There are probably 20 active PF hate threads at any given moment on MFP. You probably thought you were adding something to the conversation that warranted a new topic, or that you were being witty and original... but you were mistaken. Good day.

No, not really... I know that they are there... just thought I would roll them all into one. Thanks for the memo though!