Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• robindalziel
    Options
    never thought about it, i love sweetness so unfortunately i don't think i could live with out it. But I'm new and i find i like Source dessert yogurts and Special K crisps, not sure if its good or bad but thats just my thoughts
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    and the people who have been here for years with nothing to show for it who somehow think they know whats up in everything nutriton related.

Oh! I get it... only people with rockin' bodies can give advise or could possibly know the answers. Check!

I don't feel like I'm "All knowing" when it comes to diet and fitness.. I'm sure I'm far from expert level. But that doesn't mean I haven't gone through what someone else has gone through and can share advise with my experience. I guess I feel like a lot of the time, someone who has succeed in their weight loss (such as yourself) feel that their path is the only correct one. I applaud the work you put in and am glad you achieved your goals. But there are many paths to the end result and just because someone hasn't gotten there yet doesn't mean they don't have valid input into a conversation.

Great Post.

Considering that I am one that has been all over the place for years and years when it comes to dieting doesn't mean I'm not an expert. After years of research, meeting with various people, from dieticians, doctors, therapist, I am actually highly educated in the ins and outs of losing weight. But that doesn't mean I have practiced it. Having an unhealthy relationship with certain foods and going down different paths to see what works for the individual doesn't mean that food is demonized. Hey, I love sugar...L O V E it. I will eat a sweet and smile, savor it, taste every part of it, BUT then I eat another, and another and then I crash. And feel crappy and then what do I reach for because I've crashed? Another sweet treat. Because it taste so dang good and makes me happy. Restricting particular foods is not a bad thing. I'm not saying ENTIRE food groups. But a person needs to find out what works for them. For some, weight loss is simply less calories in than burned. BAM. It's easy. But for others, it is a major lifestyle overhaul. And there is NO straight path to a person changing their lifestyle. We are all different in many ways (psychosocial speaking) and different approaches work for different folks. I don't think it's wrong that people eat twinkies, or a bit of ice cream every day. Just like I don't think it's wrong that I choose to not eat those foods every day. I ate dinner last night, wanted something sweet, and had an orange. To me, that is learning to have a healthy relationship with food.

The thing is food restriction is rarely discussed in a "this worked for me kind of way," but more often in an absolute.

For example, I can either say, "Some people deal with binges by restricting a food. Try avoiding cake for a month. See how you feel, physically and mentally, and see how it affects your weight."

Or, I can say, "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese."

HUGE difference. I can support the former, but the latter is just flat out incorrect.

So I guess when I personally have had multiple people, such as doctors, trainers, a therapist, who knows my full history tell me in similar words "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese." I should tell them they are all wrong? Because I'm going to go with the former.

Now, if you saying that perhaps posters should put a little more explanation then just making one or the other statement, I completely agree.

The last part of this is the quote about the doctor. You even put "quotes" around it to show they said it. How is that not what you said?

I'm curious as well.

Having issues with foods and having those issues pointed out by doctors/therapists is VERY different than stating that they said that sugar is toxic (or something similar).

I still choose not to have brownies in the house. But, I did enjoy a nice slice of my son's birthday cake today, and know that I can leave the rest of the cake alone. Both have sugar in them. It's not the sugar that is the problem, it's that brownies are so dang yummy that I have a VERY difficult time staying out of them. There is nothing wrong with not keeping stuff in the house that makes staying with your deficit difficult. But that's a different approach and reasoning than "oh noes! The toxins!".
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a detox of any sort. It's called a liver and kidneys. They are detoxing right now or you'll be dead.

Now there is a such thing as feeling better because you stopped eating food for a while, or a crappy food for a while, or became hydrated and/or loss water weight.

Otherwise I'm happy to hear any layman's explanation as to what's "toxic" and how detoxing is occurring.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    "You shouldn't eat cake. It has sugar, which is toxic and addictive and will make you obese."

Pick any religious diety and if they said that, they'd be an idiot too. Of course that's barring disease or malfunction.

But Since when did Trainers, doctors, therapists, become something other than human? All of those people have all told people to take HCG,green tea, raspberry ketones, garcinia cambogia, etc., for weight loss too. What's the point.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    TL:DR

Normal toxins/not toxins and natural/added sugar posts.

Some twinkie diet stuff with someone claiming people using it to refute toxicity or caloric restriction for weight loss improving health - were actually saying twinkie only diet is a healthy sustainable plan.

For about six pages, it was filled with someone representing three experts directly saying "in quotation marks" that sugar is toxic. They then used argument from authority for a couple of pages, then later said that no expert actually said what they wrote in quotation marks.

Plus your classic I'd rather listen to someone with a proven track record. This record cannot be a leader in their field as a qualified consultant with years of success with patients of course.

And the it the 'it works for me!' (But it somehow still hadn't).

My own post about the serious issue of people suffering from Binge Eating Disorder was buried. So if you don't know about BED, look it up because it's important to know about this common condition.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Do I dare even weigh in on this thread? Guess I am a glutton for punishment, but just in case anyone is actually interested in another take on this issue...

The word DETOX, when used in the MEDICAL sense, refers to ceasing the ingestion of a certain substance, such as alcohol or drugs, to allow the body to rid itself of the substance. Sometimes doctors will use other substances to help slow or increase the rate of detox, as they see fit.
    Altho most people think of detoxing only in the sense of alcohol and illegal drugs, physical detoxing is simply the process of allowing your body to rid itself of ANY substance that you have been putting in it, by ceasing to ingest that substance.

This can include sugar, wheat, nuts, dairy, caffeine, etc, that may be having an adverse effect for someone. By eliminating these substances, your body will rid itself of them over time.
    If you simply REDUCE your intake of a substance, then you can reduce the levels of these substances in your body, which can help you physically, but it wouldn't be a COMPLETE DETOX, in the technical sense of the term, as you are still ingesting smaller amounts.

But does it really matter is someone uses the term 'DETOX' in a less than technical way outside of the medical setting?
    Do we really need 16 pages, and numerous thread postings by the same people who insist emphatically that the term ONLY be used when referring to Alcohol or Heroin?

The average person understands when someone says they need to Detox from ______, that they simply mean that they eat too much of that substance and need to get it under control.
    Some people even use the term when referring to an activity-"I really need to detox from World of Warcraft, or American Idol, or shopping, etc"
    Is it really THAT imperative to correct everyone who ever uses a term in a looser definition than what is defined in medical journals?
    Sheldon, from The Big Bang Theory, is hilarious to watch on TV, but in real life he would be a big pain in the butt to deal with every day. Don't be a Sheldon, people.

As far as sugar goes, which is in the title of this thread, most of us are well aware of the sugar spikes and crashes that can occur when we eat too much processed sugars and carbs. This can result in a vicious cycle for some people. For them, the best way to break that cycle may be to eliminate as much processed sugars/carbs as they can for awhile until their blood sugar levels out, and they are then able to slowly add back sugar in smaller amounts.
    They have now broken the physical dependence that had been created in their body, as well as the habit of overindulging in their drug of choice (sugary items).
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Sheldon is correct, you are wrong.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    physical detoxing is simply the process of allowing your body to rid itself of ANY substance that you have been putting in it, by ceasing to ingest that substance.
    Citation please.
    Anything I've found from a quick google suggests it's specifically related to a 'toxin'.
    Which would rather make sense with the word being 'detoxification'.
    Further, of course, to remove even just a good proporton of Glucose from your body is a rather more involved processed than just not eating products which someone has arbitrarily defined as having a 'type' of sugar.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Do I dare even weigh in on this thread? Guess I am a glutton for punishment, but just in case anyone is actually interested in another take on this issue...

The word DETOX, when used in the MEDICAL sense, refers to ceasing the ingestion of a certain substance, such as alcohol or drugs, to allow the body to rid itself of the substance. Sometimes doctors will use other substances to help slow or increase the rate of detox, as they see fit.
    Altho most people think of detoxing only in the sense of alcohol and illegal drugs, physical detoxing is simply the process of allowing your body to rid itself of ANY substance that you have been putting in it, by ceasing to ingest that substance.

This can include sugar, wheat, nuts, dairy, caffeine, etc, that may be having an adverse effect for someone. By eliminating these substances, your body will rid itself of them over time.
    If you simply REDUCE your intake of a substance, then you can reduce the levels of these substances in your body, which can help you physically, but it wouldn't be a COMPLETE DETOX, in the technical sense of the term, as you are still ingesting smaller amounts.

But does it really matter is someone uses the term 'DETOX' in a less than technical way outside of the medical setting?
    Do we really need 16 pages, and numerous thread postings by the same people who insist emphatically that the term ONLY be used when referring to Alcohol or Heroin?

The average person understands when someone says they need to Detox from ______, that they simply mean that they eat too much of that substance and need to get it under control.
    Some people even use the term when referring to an activity-"I really need to detox from World of Warcraft, or American Idol, or shopping, etc"
    Is it really THAT imperative to correct everyone who ever uses a term in a looser definition than what is defined in medical journals?
    Sheldon, from The Big Bang Theory, is hilarious to watch on TV, but in real life he would be a big pain in the butt to deal with every day. Don't be a Sheldon, people.

As far as sugar goes, which is in the title of this thread, most of us are well aware of the sugar spikes and crashes that can occur when we eat too much processed sugars and carbs. This can result in a vicious cycle for some people. For them, the best way to break that cycle may be to eliminate as much processed sugars/carbs as they can for awhile until their blood sugar levels out, and they are then able to slowly add back sugar in smaller amounts.
    They have now broken the physical dependence that had been created in their body, as well as the habit of overindulging in their drug of choice (sugary items).

sugar dependency is on par with "drug of choice" now? Sorry, I am going with a no on that one.

I believe the point that people were making is that your body naturally detoxes itself so there is no need for an additional sugar, juice, water, et al cleanse…

So OP - if she is even still around - could eat in a deficit, have some sugar, and would still lose weight AND her body would continue naturally detoxing itself.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I prefer not to use that term because I don't want to equate a food habit with a major drug problem whose withdrawal is best done under medical supervision. I also think that some people do not understand that the body doesn't have to be "detoxed." Having said that, I'm not suggesting that giving up sugar is easy.

If you want to talk about technical silliness, I don't understand the problem with "toned." The ordinary person understands that term is used to mean firm, with little muscle definition, not ripped.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

Staying away from highly savory foods you cannot moderate (at least not yet) seems to be working for you. I can't argue with that! However, blaming it on sugar, and calling sugar 'addictive' is what most folks are objecting to. There is no scientific evidence AT ALL that sugar is addictive. In fact, we like it so much because our bodies run it exclusively. What makes some foods hard to resist are their combinations of fats and sugars. No one who claims to have a sugar addiction sits down and eats an entire bag of sugar (for example). That would indicate that sugar really IS addictive. It's not the sugar by itself that makes some foods hard to resist. I have a hard time resisting cake (for example). So when I want it, I usually eat it. But it doesn't consume my every waking thought - I guess I am lucky not to be a 'foodie'.

We can't survive without food, so it's no wonder our bodies crave it. I wish you continued success in your weight loss journey.:flowerforyou:
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

de·tox·i·fi·ca·tion (dē-tŏk′sə-fĭ-kā′shən)
    n.
    The metabolic process by which the toxic qualities of a poison or toxin are reduced by the body.

Sugar =/= Toxin or poison.

“As long as you match for calories, fructose does not behave differently than does any other form of carbohydrate, namely starches or fine starches and glucose. And that's not to say that they're benign, because I don't think we should be having a lot of refined starch or glucose. But it's not behaving any differently.” -Dr. John Sievenpiper, a researcher at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto.

So far, I can only find one non peer supported study that claims sugar is any more "toxic" then a potato. I often wonder if these kinds of threads are an excuse to not learn how to eat responsibly. It's like, if people can find a culprit to blame for their weight issues that removes the possibility that they are personally responsible for not regulating what goes in their mouth? It's seems to be easier for them to accept their own body issues.

"I'm unhappy with myself because of sugar, because of carbs, because of animal fats... etc." But rarely, I'm unhappy because I've refused to learn how to eat responsibly and what I've done to my body is my fault... I think if more people accepted that? They might actually do something positive, make the necessary changes, and find they don't need to demonize the very substances that keeps them alive to enjoy great figures and good food.

BUT, that's just me.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Sugar is indeed additive, there are many books on it,
    There are many books on how a magical being in the sky (a different one to one you believe in, if you do) is the one and true god.
    Must be correct.

Why must Christianity be dragged (in an insulting way) into conversations that have nothing to do with religion? :angry:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I think it's important to moderate. I mean, I cut out sweet tea and soda, but I still eat fruit and I make my own juice for a glass a day. Carbohydrates are the only food your brain eats.

Actually no, your brain needs fats more than carbohydrates. Ever wonder why they call peanut butter-brain food? and they highly recommend Omega 3s for brain function. Omegas 3s come from healthy fats, not carbohydrates. Recent studies have shown that people who follow high carbohydrate diets have an increased risk of developing Alzheimers.

Fatty acids are essential for brain 'upkeep'. But the brain's fuel is glucose, just like gas is a car's fuel.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    There are many books on how a magical being in the sky (a different one to one you believe in, if you do) is the one and true god.
    Must be correct.

Why must Christianity be dragged (in an insulting way) into conversations that have nothing to do with religion? :angry:

Agreed.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Must be correct.

They meant the Church of the Flying Spaghetti monster. It was to illustrate people's ridiculous beliefs beyond facts, science and plain old common sense.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    But, the point was; so much of this sort of thing DOES seem to be a religion:
    It requires 'faith' rather than reasoned thought.
    As per the post - just because it's written in a book, people will both take it as the truth and THEIR truth, often cherry picking the bits they like.

I think the fact that Christianity was presumed nicely makes part of the point.

And no; I wasn't talking FSM, who of course IS the one true belief! ;)
  • bigbadbubz
    Options
    your body needs sugar for energy..try eating more fruit..also little and often..with a comlex carb too stop insulin levels from crashing..
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to moderate. I mean, I cut out sweet tea and soda, but I still eat fruit and I make my own juice for a glass a day. Carbohydrates are the only food your brain eats.

Actually no, your brain needs fats more than carbohydrates. Ever wonder why they call peanut butter-brain food? and they highly recommend Omega 3s for brain function. Omegas 3s come from healthy fats, not carbohydrates. Recent studies have shown that people who follow high carbohydrate diets have an increased risk of developing Alzheimers.

Fatty acids are essential for brain 'upkeep'. But the brain's fuel is glucose, just like gas is a car's fuel.

Glucose is only one of a couple of fuels the brain can run efficiently on. The Brain indeed must has glucose to function (which is why we produce it naturally in our body),but it it does not need to be 100% glucose around 30g can be sufficient.
  • janpatterson7908
    Options
    I also agree with most of the posts. You should definitely stay away from processed sugars or foods with added sugars, but your body does need some sugar for the digestion process & absorption of several vitamins. As a veteran bariatric bypass patient and looser of over 200 lbs, I tend as well to be very careful about the quantities and forms of sugar I consume, but would definitely recommend that it is not safe or healthy to completely cut sugar out ... stick with fresh fruits or freshly squeezed juices (not concentrated or processed) - that is probably the best and most natural source that I can think of recommending. You will probably find that if you incorporate a bit of natural sugar into your diet and span it out over a few hours your symptoms will go away and you will probably have a much more successful weight loss. Good luck!!