Is marriage still worth it?

Options

Replies

• KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Marriage has to be something you're both ready to do. Things change when you're WITH that person day in and day out. Make sure you're really ready & committed. This year makes 9 years for my husband and I. We dated 3 years prior and lived together the year leading up to our nuptials. It has been a series of ups & downs, but mostly ups. Marriage is work....and it is compromise.... but it is so worth it if you're with the right person :-)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I would love to have kids and spend the rest of my life with my girlfriend, but seeing so many people going through a divorce and what effect it has on the finances and kids I am not sure if I want to ever go down that route.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice. Not knowing anything about you, I have no idea if it would work for you.
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    Options
    I got married at 18 and my husband was 21, we have been together for 6 years and the question I always ask people when they talk about getting married is Are you willing to fight for it even in the darkest times? My husband is military and we have had to endure deployments and a very unpredictable work schedule, we have also had to deal with problems that we have caused each other. I will not lie and pretend that it has always been easy or fun, we have had to fight hard for our marriage and there have been a time or two divorce has crossed our minds but we have learned anything worth having is worth fighting for. He is my best friend and a awesome father and I could imagine my life without him, we have been through pretty much everything together and are still standing strong because we have always been willing to fight for it. So if you two are willing to fight for each other even when things are looking their worse than I'd say marriage is right for you but if not don't do it.
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    YES...45 years for me and never had a regret!!!
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Depends on the pre nip lol
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Life as it is now is pretty much perfect and the both of us feel we are ready to tie the knot, it is just after experiencing the aftermath of my brother's divorce that I am doing a lot of reading and asking around before taking the final step.

I appreciate each and every post :smile:

Ask your brother what he might have done differently. Sometimes even the most difficult of divorces there can be lessons learned.

In answer to your question, yes it is worth it! Your reading and asking questions is a good sign of commitment on your part. Best of luck to you whatever you decide! :smile:
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been down this road twice and my answer is it really depends. With my first husband, I was young and more in love with the idea of being in love and married and children. That marriage went bad pretty much after a couple of years, but then we had a son and we toughed it out for almost 7 years - completely miserable, out of fear of hurting our son. Finally, we decided to go our separate ways and it was the best decision ever. Our son adjusted well and was much more happy spending his time between two happy people who were not together than two miserable people who were.

A year after my divorce I met my current partner. Neither of us had any intention to get married or have kids etc. but two years later that changed and we started living together, then later we had a son. We've been together 8 years now and he is absolutely my rock and my best friend. We are a good match - because we respect each other, we are friends, we still have a strong connection in all ways and it just works. Marriage was NOT worth it the first time around for me - but this time around has been very rewarding. It depends on the two people, how well your personalities blend, how long you've been together etc.

I always advise spending a great deal of time with someone before making that commitment. I didn't the first time and it cost me a lot of heartache (and him too). The second time, I was much more cautious and it's been amazing.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Of course it is. No one EVER said it would be easy or require little work.

It's something you have to work at, improve, change every single day.

But it's worth it. So completely worth it. That one person becomes your partner for LIFE. Once the kids are grown and have started their own lives, that person will be there still. That person will grow old with you. Choose wisely.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Is there someone in your life who has a great and enduring marriage? A marriage that when you look at them you think, I'd love to have that be my life? If so, take them to lunch and have a long talk to gain wisdom from them. Find out if their marriage was always as effortless as it looks now, and if not how they solved the problems they've had to deal with. Does their advice and reflection honestly sound like something you and your girlfriend would be willing, eager, and able to manage? Is it a marriage your girlfriend also admires? If not, make sure you know what her expectations are for an ideal marriage! If you two are in agreement maybe the admired couple would sign on as mentors for you and your girlfriend as a wedding gift :-) If there is no one any where in sight with a long lasting marriage that you'd like to emulate maybe that's your answer.
  • Schmiznurf
    Options
    So far, after almost 4 years, I would say nope nope nopity nope.
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sure.

If it's an open marriage.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've been married twice. My first marriage lasted all of ten months. Clearly, I wasn't ready. And I was married for a really stupid reason - peer pressure. "Everyone's doing it." (They were, at the time.) I was in a hurry to get my life started, or what I thought I was supposed to want out of life - marriage, kids, the white picket fence, etc. Little did I know.

My marriage now is great. We've been married only a little over a year, but it's completely different and the circumstances are different. I didn't end up with the kids or the white picket fence, but it's okay - this time was because I honestly loved him. And it's stronger than anything I've ever experienced. When you have each other's backs, you just KNOW, you know what I'm saying?

So.... yeah, for me, it's worth it.
  • VintagePhoenix
    Options
    I totally feel the same OP, just recently my friends who have been together since college, and got married have just divorced, and I just think why should I bother?!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Your marriage will be exactly as successful as you and your spouse work to make it. The success or failure of others can inform your decisions, but they aren't an indicator of what your own will be. Even the best of marriages comes with it's own challenges, but if you love one another enough, and are willing to do whatever you have to to commit to one another and honor that, then you'll overcome them and it will be infinitely worth it! Good luck!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're going through. I've now been married 25 years, but my parents got divorced when I was a teen. When I got married, I told my then future wife that I wasn't going to do this if she didn't understand that to me it's FOREVER.

So were there ever times when we both struggled with that commitment? Sure. Anyone that tells you being married is (or should be), all sunshine and roses is lying. More than anything, making it last is about commitment. Recognize ahead of time that sometimes things will be great and that sometimes things will not be so great. As long as you BOTH are willing to work to make it better when things are not going so well, you have what it takes to make it last.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Depends on the pre nip lol

Is that like a nip slip?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Your marriage is your and hers, not your brother's. It is what you make of it. If you and your partner are willing to put in the work to keep the marriage healthy, especially after children arrive, then marriage can be a joyful and incredible experience. I wouldn't trade my marriage or family life for anything. It's the biggest source of joy in my life, but it does take a lot of work and a commitment, and there are times that will truly test that commitment.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Don't.

If you're too scared to make that decision now then you'll never be committed to your marriage partner.

Also, from your girlfriend's perspective, she deserves somebody who's totally committed to his side of the marriage.

And if you can't handle the commitment of marriage, yeah don't even bother with kids. That one will be way over your head.

What? You can't have a committed relationship without a piece of paper or ceremony? You can't love and be committed to your children without that same piece of paper or ceremony?

That is a very narrow viewpoint.

I am personally of the opinion that marriage can be good... but that you don't NEED it to have a wonderful and committed relationship or to have a loving and committed relationship with your kids.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't need some big rock on my finger for me to know he loves me. I just want him to stick by my side, be a good boyfriend and father and be faithful/loyal. & if that doesnt work out, at least he wont have wasted his money a ring and wedding. And there will be no divorce to deal with, nor will I have to carry around his last name. SO to answer your question: No I dont think marriage is worth it at all.

Marriage does not require a large rock on your finger or changing your last name. Nor do weddings have to be mega-expensive productions. And, if you have a house and children together, unwinding the relationship if it didn't work out would be pretty complicated with our without marriage.

I respect that some people choose not to get married, but many of your reasons seem to be superficial.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    I like it, but it took three tries to get right.