Sugar Detox

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Highly refined carbohydrate has no nutritional value. Its junk.
    'sugar detox' is just a description for this.
    No one needs added sugar, white flour products etc.
    Of course the brain uses glucose.
    The body is a factory it breaks down complex foods for us to use.

That depends on your definition of Nutrition. If my body receives energy from it? I'd label it a positive. But like all things must be consumed in moderation and responsibly. There are a lot of things in live no one NEEDS... but it doesn't change the fact that they are allowed to indulge as they choose if they manage to do so with control.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Back in. For how people like me are the problem.

That's right!! Because of you.. I'm suffering from sugar overdose.... and it tastes soooo goodd....

...Where's my dealer, I need my fix! ;D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Highly refined carbohydrate has no nutritional value. Its junk.
    'sugar detox' is just a description for this.
    No one needs added sugar, white flour products etc.
    Of course the brain uses glucose.
    The body is a factory it breaks down complex foods for us to use.

here are my thoughts:
    th_zps280c0147.jpg
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    So many people saying they "can't" eat things in moderation. I get it, it's hard at first. But someday, you're going to have to learn, or this is going to be a long & miserable road for you. Learn how to eat things you enjoy in moderation and losing weight/getting healthy is almost EASY and enjoyable. So some of you want to decrease the sugar for awhile because it's a trigger for you. OKAY. That's all well & good. But buzzwords like 'detox' & 'sugar is evil' & the like are the things that are going to get people riled up, because they're simply untrue and unnecessary.

My philosophy on all of this is: LIFE IS SHORT. So short that I don't think depriving myself of anything I enjoy is worth it. Ever. & I don't want anyone else to have to give up their favorite kind of treat(s) just because they want to lose weight. Because it doesn't have to be like that.

But if someone cuts bread for argument sake and after cutting loses the urge to eating it, then once they lose the urge they are no longer depriving themselves!

I personally used to snack on milk chocolate, crisps and pizza most nights. Since cutting them I have decided that if I want to have them I will. Last week I bought myself a take out pizza - ate 2 slices and left the rest because I didn't enjoy it.

So now by not eating pizza am I depriving myself?

I think you're trying to argue about something, but you're basically feeding directly into my point & supporting it, so thanks!

I'm pretty sure by most people's definition of 'depriving' here, it involves keeping yourself from eating things you really love to eat. Obviously if you didn't enjoy it, then not eating it isn't 'depriving' yourself. 'Everything in moderation' means being able to eat things you want to eat, in moderation. Being able to eat a serving of pizza instead of the whole thing is the point of moderation. Congratulations! You have successfully figured out moderation & you aren't depriving yourself of things you enjoy! Yay!

I specifically said "depriving myself of things I enjoy isn't worth it". The first thing that comes to mind for me is coffee. I LOVE coffee. I used to exclusively drink really high calorie white chocolate mochas, frappucinos, etc. Sometimes I would have several a day. These days, I've changed the way I drink my coffee so that it fits better into my calorie goals & macros, and sometimes I treat myself to those higher calorie options when I want to. In the context of this thread, by many of the posters' mentalities, I should have given up all coffee just because those 600 calorie frappucinos are 'bad' for me, rather than adapting and finding other ways to make coffee work for me and fit my goals.

My point is that so many people are saying things like 'I can't eat cake because I binge on it which obviously means I can't eat sugar, omg sugar must be addictive, so I better stop eating anything and everything with sugar in it'. That's really extreme and not at all the truth. If you like sweet things, there's no point in depriving yourself if you don't have to. You can find ways to indulge your sweet tooth in moderation without destroying your diet or your health.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think what's important that some folks may be missing is that if it isn't sustainable indefinitely, it may possibly be a waste of time.

There are a lot of ways to go about losing weight, but I do believe we can all agree that what causes weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Energy in<Energy out.

Cutting out a whole food group completely is not going to specifically cause weight loss. The calorie deficit caused by the eliminating of that food group is what is going to cause weight loss (IF you create a deficit).

Cutting out sugar completely is difficult and I would venture to say impossible, but, whatever. You're going to have to learn moderation at some point.

If you believe that cutting it completely out and then slowly adding back in helps, by all means, go for it. But at some point, you WILL have to learn portion control. Or you're going to have a bad time.

I think what the people here are trying to do is prevent you from wasting your time and making yourself miserable by cutting out sugar completely (for those who said they were going to attempt that).

Best of luck learning how to eat it in moderation. However you go about it.

+1
  • bradandgretchen
    bradandgretchen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of problems with this myself. Baked goods and other items with processed sugar are a huge temptation for me. The first thing that I did was to cut out flavored coffee creamer and sugar in my coffee. From there, I have found that if I eat a good breakfast that includes protein (and does NOT include muffins and such ????) I do much better throughout the day. If I start the day with processed sugar than my cravings for sugar are much worse as the day progresses. Fresh fruit doesn't cause me any problem. Keeping my blood sugar stable by eating a balanced meal helps me with the shakiness and other low blood sugar symptoms.

????
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Anything I can have with sugar has sorbitol in it, and sometimes mannitol (but not a lot). I will slowly allow myself to have some real sugar or honey after I get to goal, I am just going to be careful about how I do it, but I am not cutting it out for life, just until I get the weight off, then I figure out what I can and can't do to keep it off.

If you are on a low carb high fat diet, I would be more worried about the type of fat you eat, if you are eating a lot of bad fats, just be aware most people who can't process them as well don't realize it until they are in the ER finding out they need a Cholecystectomy. I never even ate a lot of fat, and I never realized the heartburn I had every time I did have a higher fat meal was my gallbladder (till I lost it).

Simple carbs are the same as eating sugar so you have to balance the whole thing out, and too many bad fats are not good for you either.

Moderation and balance are the keys (in my humble opinion).
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    never gave up sugar but reduced it a lot....and now i'm so so so under what i could take in a day... But don't feel it.

Took me around a month to get use to it....
  • hippechickie
    hippechickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out a book called "Hunger Fix" it has a great 21 day detox diet that is healthy. It does not cut out any food group. It is aimed at food addiction. Daily food plans, advice, recipes, etc. I keep it as a reference book for motivation.
  • Riddel0000
    Options
    I was hoping someone could help me understand the sugar detox.

I have a list of foods I'm eating of the next 10 days and I got that part.

My question is, can I take Cellucor C4 pre work out formula since it contains little to no sugar? I know it is sweet and I'm assuming that it is an artificial sweetener that may be just as bad as sugar. Does anyone know?