Sugar addiction argh!

Options

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/kick-sugar-easy-way-give-it-good

Must be true if Dr. Oz says it. Kind of convenient this is also on his show today.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, cold turkey here I come! (packet of ibuprofen at the ready) I don't drink coffee, never thought of it as being a caffeine addiction, that's really useful, the advice not the addiction.

Caffeine withdrawal is much easier to deal with than cocaine withdrawal. Good luck, OP!

Serrrrriously.
  • rr10473
    rr10473 Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes I was called ascinine and that was offensive. If I tripped up by saying I eliminate all saccharides and didn't really, well opps. M y profession is not in knowing exactly what all saccharides are. But I know that program worked and it's basis was eliminating processed foods especially processed sugar. I am able to give advice based on what my experience is. It worked for me and I live by it. I didn't lose close to 60 pounds by doing nothing.
    You lost 60lbs from a calorie deficit, not from cutting out sugars.

I had to get their by controlling my addiction first. You wouldn't understand if you didn't walk in my shoes. Understanding you need to have a caloric deficit is secondary.
  • rr10473
    rr10473 Posts: 23
    Options
    [Why is that hard to believe? In that plan I was on, you elminiated just about everything for a period of time. Just eat rice and protein. Then incorporate them slowly to see how your body handles it. I had to go to this extreme. Why is that wrong?
    Rice is full of oligosaccharides. You stated you eliminated ALL saccharides from your diet. Obviously you didn't, which shows that you don't actually know what saccharides are. Which proves that you have no business in this conversation trying to insist that you know better than others.

I am not insisting I know better than others. AT ALL. I was merely sharing my experience. When I said yes to no Saccharides I was talking about simple sugars. Why do like to feed off of one point that may be off? Does that make you happy? My journey is my journey. I was only giving OP advice on something that I belive fully based on extensive research.

Extensive research? What research did you do that told you there were no sugars in rice? You stated emphatically that you ate NO sugars for a period of time. Except, oops - you did. Time to go back to that 'research' thing you SAID you did.

And no one has called you any names. They are just pointing out that your advice is complete hornswoggle.

ETA: You don't need to move the quote boxes around when you reply to a message. Just post at the bottom of the box.

OK, I can't figure out how you managed to screw the quotes up so badly, so I'm just putting my reply in bold. *sigh*

But any real advice is always just bullying! :grumble:

She keeps randomly deleting the first couple of [ quote ] codes for some reason.

They are too long. I don't want to keep scrolling. Geez.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    [Why is that hard to believe? In that plan I was on, you elminiated just about everything for a period of time. Just eat rice and protein. Then incorporate them slowly to see how your body handles it. I had to go to this extreme. Why is that wrong?
    Rice is full of oligosaccharides. You stated you eliminated ALL saccharides from your diet. Obviously you didn't, which shows that you don't actually know what saccharides are. Which proves that you have no business in this conversation trying to insist that you know better than others.

I am not insisting I know better than others. AT ALL. I was merely sharing my experience. When I said yes to no Saccharides I was talking about simple sugars. Why do like to feed off of one point that may be off? Does that make you happy? My journey is my journey. I was only giving OP advice on something that I belive fully based on extensive research.
    [/quote]
    "
    Extensive research? What research did you do that told you there were no sugars in rice? You stated emphatically that you ate NO sugars for a period of time. Except, oops - you did. Time to go back to that 'research' thing you SAID you did.

And no one has called you any names. They are just pointing out that your advice is complete hornswoggle.

ETA: You don't need to move the quote boxes around when you reply to a message. Just post at the bottom of the box.

OK, I can't figure out how you managed to screw the quotes up so badly, so I'm just putting my reply in bold. *sigh*

:drinker: Some people don't like it when everyone doesn't blindly agree with their posts.

images1_zpsc1a834ac.jpg
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes I was called ascinine and that was offensive. If I tripped up by saying I eliminate all saccharides and didn't really, well opps. M y profession is not in knowing exactly what all saccharides are. But I know that program worked and it's basis was eliminating processed foods especially processed sugar. I am able to give advice based on what my experience is. It worked for me and I live by it. I didn't lose close to 60 pounds by doing nothing.

I had to get their by controlling my addiction first. You wouldn't understand if you didn't walk in my shoes. Understanding you need to have a caloric deficit is secondary.

You're right. No one here knows what it's like to have issues with food. We should all shut up.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

You're right. No one here knows what it's like to have issues with food. We should all shut up.

HAHA, you're my ne favorite person today.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

She keeps randomly deleting the first couple of [ quote ] codes for some reason.

Now THAT is sheer laziness.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

HAHA, you're my ne favorite person today.

:flowerforyou:
  • karen2628
    karen2628 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good job on the detox! White(processed) sugar is awful for the body. I've done a few detoxes to break the sugar "lure" and other junk foods. I found if I stay away from sugar it really helped me. The moment I had a cookie, slice of cake, ice cream bar etc I found it very hard to not continue snacking on junk throughout the day. I would liken sugar to a drug...and my physician said it hits the same receptors in the brain as some drugs...so for some it is hard to stop.

Eating whole minimally processed, veggies, fruit, grains, and lean proteins are the way to go. I actually found recipes that would satisfy my sweet tooth that my family really liked as well. I make banana ice cream once a week :3 ingredients bananas, vanilla and sugar free almond milk- yum.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Ok, now I want an apology. I was willing to let it slide, but your claim has no basis in fact.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Good job on the detox! White(processed) sugar is awful for the body. I've done a few detoxes to break the sugar "lure" and other junk foods. I found if I stay away from sugar it really helped me. The moment I had a cookie, slice of cake, ice cream bar etc I found it very hard to not continue snacking on junk throughout the day. I would liken sugar to a drug...and my physician said it hits the same receptors in the brain as some drugs...so for some it is hard to stop.

Eating whole minimally processed, veggies, fruit, grains, and lean proteins are the way to go. I actually found recipes that would satisfy my sweet tooth that my family really liked as well. I make banana ice cream once a week :3 ingredients bananas, vanilla and sugar free almond milk- yum.
    :explode: :grumble: :noway: :angry:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I found if I stay away from sugar it really helped me. The moment I had a cookie, slice of cake, ice cream bar etc I found it very hard to not continue snacking on junk throughout the day. I would liken sugar to a drug...and my physician said it hits the same receptors in the brain as some drugs...so for some it is hard to stop.

cookie =/= sugar
    Cookie = sugar + flour + eggs + [insert flavoring} + butter [etc]
  • beth292926
    Options
    Switch to coffee with a dash of skimmed milk if you must, and no sugar. I'd avoid sweeteners too – just not chemically good for you. Train yourself to enjoy unsweetened foods. Then gradually reduce your coffee (caffeine) too. Take a little paracetamol if you get a stinker of a headache, and drink lots of water. Sparkling is fine if you like the bubbles.

Avoid all puddings except the odd low fat yoghurt. If you need a sweet hit, try a root-vegetable main, such as butternut squash and lentil soup with lots of chilli, or a root vegetable, sage and chick-pea casserole.

If you get 'hunger pains', a small shot of 100ml skimmed milk and an apple usually sorts me out for an hour or so and has lots of calcium and nutrients. Should keep you going til the next meal. Encourage your tummy to send the right signals to your brain!!

Good luck!!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Sugar is evil most of the time, especially when combined with highly processed foods/grains. I'm doing a detox program meant to "retune" my sweet tooth. I have a very serious problem with sugar and am beginning to realize that abstinence might be the only way I survive this! Look into quitting all sugar - especially all the liquid meaningless calories. Make your calories count with whole foods.

I'm no expert, but I do know that I am an addict to sugar; and I'm looking to give up the control it has over me!

What toxin are you detoxing from??
    How can you quit all sugar??

What do eat??

Whole foods? You mean like a whole can of pop? Or a whole cookie? Or a whole apple?

:laugh: :laugh:
  • donniesaurous
    donniesaurous Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sugar is evil most of the time, especially when combined with highly processed foods/grains. I'm doing a detox program meant to "retune" my sweet tooth. I have a very serious problem with sugar and am beginning to realize that abstinence might be the only way I survive this! Look into quitting all sugar - especially all the liquid meaningless calories. Make your calories count with whole foods.

I'm no expert, but I do know that I am an addict to sugar; and I'm looking to give up the control it has over me!

What toxin are you detoxing from??
    How can you quit all sugar??

What do eat??

Whole foods? You mean like a whole can of pop? Or a whole cookie? Or a whole apple?

I definitely balance my diet with whole cookies. Sometimes a whole pizza. It's the only way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, yesterday I balanced mine with a whole toblerone! much easier to balance with a flat surface!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Switch to coffee with a dash of skimmed milk if you must, and no sugar. I'd avoid sweeteners too – just not chemically good for you. Train yourself to enjoy unsweetened foods. Then gradually reduce your coffee (caffeine) too. Take a little paracetamol if you get a stinker of a headache, and drink lots of water. Sparkling is fine if you like the bubbles.

Avoid all puddings except the odd low fat yoghurt. If you need a sweet hit, try a root-vegetable main, such as butternut squash and lentil soup with lots of chilli, or a root vegetable, sage and chick-pea casserole.

If you get 'hunger pains', a small shot of 100ml skimmed milk and an apple usually sorts me out for an hour or so and has lots of calcium and nutrients. Should keep you going til the next meal. Encourage your tummy to send the right signals to your brain!!

Good luck!!

34o59pi.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes I was called ascinine and that was offensive.

Ok, now I want an apology. I was willing to let it slide, but your claim has no basis in fact.

Still waiting...

giphy.gif
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Somewhat related to sugar in food, but definitely interesting --

2Leb7RY.jpg
    TQIfSqs.jpg